Mosquito control in Central Va

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
retire14

Mosquito control in Central Va

Post by retire14 » Fri May 10, 2019 8:05 pm

Need to spray my yard to control mosquitoes so we can enjoy our deck. Looking for recommendations of spray solution and tips.
Also would like to know if hiring a professional outfit like mosquito squad is worth the money or is it something I can do? Of course, i prefer DIY solutions if they are effective. We are in central Virginia. Thanks.

graeme

Re: Mosquito control in Central Va

Post by graeme » Fri May 10, 2019 8:36 pm

My city sprays the entire city for mosquitoes during the summer each year. We no longer have bees or butterflies and the day of each spray I find a few dead birds in the yard, but the mosquitoes are the same.

When looking for backyard mosquito solutions, eliminating any standing water, having backyard chickens and encouraging the bat population in the area are recommended frequently.

Yooper16

Post by Yooper16 » Fri May 10, 2019 10:01 pm

Aromatic oils can be applied on the yard. The purpose is to hide the mammal scent. Same theory as Tiki torches, citronella candles etc.

We stopped using insecticides broadly a few years after we moved into our previous residence and went to the aromatic oils and the bacteriacides available for damp areas. Still did the perimeter back where the yard/fence/field and woods met with synthetics. Done mostly for tick control. A couple of years after stopping 90% of the use of the synthetics--- fireflies, dragonflies, bats etc started to return. Dragon flies and bats are especially good for mosquito control.

It is a balancing act to provide protection from mosquito borne illnesses, fleas and ticks while also trying to preserve the natural predators of the mosquito.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sat May 11, 2019 10:30 am

another factor is if you spray and your neighbor doesn't, it won't make any difference.

We use a couple of strategically placed oscillating fans on the deck to create enough air movement to discourage mosquitoes, gnat and various other smaller insects.

We have a couple bats and about this time every year we will get a full flight of chimney swifts that will work the back yard every evening.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

andypanda

Post by andypanda » Sat May 11, 2019 4:36 pm

With the rain we've had in the Richmond area the past two years I don't think there's much hope of avoiding the skeeters. They're thick especially around sunset. We either stay in around dark or load up on the bug spray.

After every torrential thunderstorm this afternoon we joked that maybe the skeeters will drown. We can hope. It's still raining with more to come tonight and tomorrow. Maybe they'll wash into the James River and make it the 100 miles to the ocean.

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Sat May 11, 2019 5:36 pm

Consider adding a screened in porch.

Pete12

Post by Pete12 » Sat May 11, 2019 5:49 pm

In our area we have wetlands with large areas of standing water. We have tried everything under the sun to control mosquitos. The most effective method I have found so far is remarkably simple: https://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/16/scie ... rrent.html
We have a large fan on our deck, we keep it on low and have it oscillate back and forth. It works very well. We can sit outside in the evening with no bug spray and never get bit.
Last edited by Pete12 on Sat May 11, 2019 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

livelovelaugh00

Post by livelovelaugh00 » Sat May 11, 2019 5:51 pm

I wonder how Disney do this on their properties. It's very effective.

livelovelaugh00

Post by livelovelaugh00 » Sat May 11, 2019 5:51 pm

I wonder how Disney do this on their properties. It's very effective.

Loon11

Post by Loon11 » Sat May 11, 2019 7:34 pm

go to Southern States Cooperative and buy Talstar - or buy online. Mix i as directed and put in a garden sprayer. Walk around the yard and spray around the bushes, etc. Not supposed to hurt pets but it really works.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Sat May 11, 2019 7:41 pm

Get a bottle of Cutter from Home Depot - hook it up to your hose, spray the grass and bushes, area where there are nooks. Remove all area of standing water; pots, trash can lids. It will keep the population down but it will not eliminate them if your neighbors don’t spray.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

NCDVM

Post by NCDVM » Sun May 12, 2019 6:53 am

In an effort to try to be environmentally/pollinator friendly, we tried the Mosquito Spartan Eradicators (https://spartanmosquito.com/mosquito-control/). I just put them up a few days ago so the jury is still out. The reviews are mostly good but of course there is that saying, “If it’s too good to be true...”. If they work, I will be sure to post an update, as these seem much more responsible to use.

birdog

Post by birdog » Mon May 13, 2019 12:31 pm

NCDVM wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 6:53 am
In an effort to try to be environmentally/pollinator friendly, we tried the Mosquito Spartan Eradicators (https://spartanmosquito.com/mosquito-control/). I just put them up a few days ago so the jury is still out. The reviews are mostly good but of course there is that saying, “If it’s too good to be true...”. If they work, I will be sure to post an update, as these seem much more responsible to use.
Thanks for posting. I hadn't heard of these. I just ordered some. Sounds like it's worth a shot. Pretty cheap compared to Mosquito Squad and less toxic to my family as well.

fizxman

Post by fizxman » Mon May 13, 2019 12:46 pm

Pete12 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 5:49 pm
In our area we have wetlands with large areas of standing water. We have tried everything under the sun to control mosquitos. The most effective method I have found so far is remarkably simple: https://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/16/scie ... rrent.html
We have a large fan on our deck, we keep it on low and have it oscillate back and forth. It works very well. We can sit outside in the evening with no bug spray and never get bit.
+1 A fan is pretty much guaranteed to work. I don't want to spray my yard with any chemicals because of my dog so we just use a fan and it works great. Buying one or two fans will probably be cheaper than getting your yard sprayed every year, for as long as you live.

daheld

Post by daheld » Mon May 13, 2019 1:13 pm

Thus far we have had good luck with Thermacell.

https://www.thermacell.com/

TBillT

Post by TBillT » Mon May 13, 2019 1:21 pm

We have one of the Liberty Skeeter Magnets which is the propane tank-to-CO2 powered skeeter trap that sucks them in. Have not used it last couple years. Maybe I try firing it up soon. the new Spartan hanging thing above sounds interesting.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Mon May 13, 2019 3:05 pm

birdog wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 12:31 pm
NCDVM wrote:
Thanks for posting. I hadn't heard of these. I just ordered some. Sounds like it's worth a shot. Pretty cheap compared to Mosquito Squad and less toxic to my family as well.
I've used them about a year. They seem to help but don't eliminate them entirely. It is hard to say for sure.

The concept is surprisingly simple. It is only salt and yeast, and you add water. The yeast ferments and emits co2, which attracts mosquitoes. Females lay eggs in Salt water which won't hatch...or something to that effect.

This year I also am putting these in wet places, French drain and gutters.

2-Pack Summit Mosquito Dunks https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LYCI7E3/re ... 2Cb33B3WY0

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Mon May 13, 2019 3:07 pm

birdog wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 12:31 pm
NCDVM wrote:
I've used them about a year. They seem to help but don't eliminate them entirely. It is hard to say for sure.

The concept is surprisingly simple. It is only salt and yeast, and you add water. The yeast ferments and emits co2, which attracts mosquitoes. Females lay eggs in Salt water which won't hatch...or something to that effect.

This year I also am putting these in wet places, French drain and gutters.

2-Pack Summit Mosquito Dunks https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LYCI7E3/re ... 2Cb33B3WY0

birdog

Post by birdog » Tue May 14, 2019 9:09 am

daheld wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 1:13 pm
Thus far we have had good luck with Thermacell.

https://www.thermacell.com/
Chester Moore is a professor of medical entomology at Colorado State University in Fort Collins. According to Moore, metofluthrin (the active ingredient in Thermacell) is probably a little more toxic to humans than DEET. https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm ... story.html

I realize that mosquitoes can be deadly as well, but I just have a hard time willingly inhaling neurotoxins. I think I will try the non-toxic options like Summit Mosquito Dunks and Spartan Mosquito packs first.

ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 » Tue May 14, 2019 10:12 am

Talstar Pro

megabad

Post by megabad » Tue May 14, 2019 10:36 am

When in the Everglades, I typically light up a Don Diego and get a good puff going and never have problems. Takes me 5 hours or so to go thru one. I am not kidding. Works better than anything else I’ve tried.

birdog

Post by birdog » Tue May 14, 2019 3:48 pm

megabad wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 10:36 am
When in the Everglades, I typically light up a Don Diego and get a good puff going and never have problems. Takes me 5 hours or so to go thru one. I am not kidding. Works better than anything else I’ve tried.
Come to think of it, when I'm at my fire pit in the back yard with a beverage and a Padron I don't get bit either! I also installed a bat house on the side of my barn and we have 3 brown bats that take up residence there every summer. They seem to hunt right on our property only but they are up fairly high, most likely to avoid the trees. I'm sure they help but how much I'm not sure.
Last edited by birdog on Tue May 14, 2019 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheMadEph

Post by TheMadEph » Tue May 14, 2019 3:50 pm

fizxman wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 12:46 pm
Pete12 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 5:49 pm
+1 A fan is pretty much guaranteed to work. I don't want to spray my yard with any chemicals because of my dog so we just use a fan and it works great. Buying one or two fans will probably be cheaper than getting your yard sprayed every year, for as long as you live.
+1 again,
Physics is easier to apply than chemistry or biochem - enough wind with the fan and the mosquitos will not bother you.