Episode 009: "Bogleheads on Investing" with guest Dr. Wesley Gray, host Rick Ferri

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Rick Ferri

Episode 009: "Bogleheads on Investing" with guest Dr. Wesley Gray, host Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri » Sat May 11, 2019 4:00 pm

I'm geeking-out with Dr. Wesley Gray in Episode 9 of the "Bogleheads on Investing" podcast. I've known Wes Gray since he came into the industry. His story is fascinating. Even if you're not into factor investing, you'll enjoy this interview.

Episode 009: Bogleheads on Investing - guest Dr. Wesley Gray Roth, host Rick Ferri

Dr. Wesley (Wes) Gray is the new defacto "Jedi Knight" of quantitative factor investing. He is the CEO of Alpha Architect, an author, portfolio manager, United States Marine, Iraq War vet, and a former professor of finance at Drexel University. Wes earned an MBA and a Ph.D. in finance from the University of Chicago where he studied under Nobel Prize Winner Eugene Fama. He is a contributor to multiple industry publications and regularly speaks to professional investor groups across the country. Dr. Gray has published multiple academic papers and four books, including Embedded (Naval Institute Press, 2009), Quantitative Value (Wiley, 2012), DIY Financial Advisor (Wiley, 2015), and Quantitative Momentum (Wiley, 2016).

Rick Ferri
Last edited by Rick Ferri on Mon May 13, 2019 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Education of an Index Investor: born in darkness, finds indexing enlightenment, overcomplicates everything, embraces simplicity.

nedsaid

Re: Episode 009: "Bogleheads on Investing" with guest Dr. Wesley Gray, host Rick Ferri

Post by nedsaid » Sat May 11, 2019 7:54 pm

Rick, I did listen to the podcast. Seeing that Dr. Gray was also a Marine, you felt kinship with him.

A big takeaway is the factor crowding. I liked Dr. Gray's comment that if people are trying to trade the factors short term, it will not harm long term factor premiums but just create more volatility in the factors shorter term. If that is indeed what people are doing, this should actually help the long term investors in factors, they just need to stomach the higher volatility. If people are crowding the factors and staying in, like me, then factor premiums will decrease.

He was an excellent guest. He is an impressive individual and found that I really liked him. By the way, you have a good voice for broadcasting.
A fool and his money are good for business.

Topic Author
Rick Ferri

Re: Episode 009: "Bogleheads on Investing" with guest Dr. Wesley Gray, host Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri » Sun May 12, 2019 3:25 pm

I thought that was an interesting insight also.

Rick Ferri
The Education of an Index Investor: born in darkness, finds indexing enlightenment, overcomplicates everything, embraces simplicity.

Bongleur

Post by Bongleur » Mon May 13, 2019 1:00 am

Transcripts? Can't file notes without ASCII.
Seeking Iso-Elasticity. | Tax Loss Harvesting is an Asset Class. | A well-planned presentation creates a sense of urgency. If the prospect fails to act now, he will risk a loss of some sort.

Topic Author
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri » Mon May 13, 2019 6:05 am

Bongleur wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 1:00 am
Transcripts? Can't file notes without ASCII.
That's a great idea! Thank's for volunteering. When will you have them done?

We'll take the ASCII files you create (or pay to have created) and post them on the Bogleheads Wiki for everyone to use.

Let me know when you're finished with the first nine episodes.

Rick Ferri

Bongleur

Post by Bongleur » Mon May 13, 2019 8:39 pm

You should be able to afford something like Dragon Naturally Speaking voice-to-text software.
Reading is 3x faster than the spoken word, & you can refer back to it etc.
Seeking Iso-Elasticity. | Tax Loss Harvesting is an Asset Class. | A well-planned presentation creates a sense of urgency. If the prospect fails to act now, he will risk a loss of some sort.

Topic Author
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri » Tue May 14, 2019 7:44 am

Bongleur wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 8:39 pm
You should be able to afford something like Dragon Naturally Speaking voice-to-text software.
Reading is 3x faster than the spoken word, & you can refer back to it etc.
You're not catching my drift. The Bogleheads is a not-for-profit enterprise. It runs 100% on volunteers and donated funds.

If you want a transcript, volunteer each month to make one.

sunnywindy

Post by sunnywindy » Tue May 14, 2019 8:10 am

Great podcast and excellent questions.

About a year ago I had a few questions for Alpha Architect about their trend following ETF and they (Jack Vogel) did a good job providing answers. Seeing that we were both Pennsylvania guys, the conversation devolved into talking about football and pretzels, so it was very reassuring!