Letter my child got from social security administration

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
tovetove

Letter my child got from social security administration

Post by tovetove » Mon May 12, 2014 5:52 pm

Hi everyone, I don't know where to post this question. The last two years my minor son had earned income which taxes were filed/paid. And both years he received a letter from the Social Security Amin. just got it again today. It is addressed to my son. it states the amount he earned and says on the top line " we are writing to you about self employment earnings reported to the internal revenue service in your name. it appears that these earnings do not belong to you, but to another person. therefore, we haven't added the earnings to your Social Security record". "if you believe you should receive social security credit for these earnings please contact the nearest Social Security office at the address below"

Last year I didn't respond but now this year I'm wondering if maybe I should? I would like my son to get credit if he can.

Anyone have Experince with this?

Thank you! Tove

update, I just called, boy, I was on hold for at least 2 hours. Funny, the social security lady said "this is a 2.8 for a minor, I've worked here 18 years and never had to do one of these before". The letter was sent as an identity theft precaution, with my son's young age of five with minor earnings, it grabs their attention. In order for my son the get the earnings credit due to him I have to go in person to my local office with a long list of things: 2 forms of ID of me and my son, my son's 1099s, both letters, and copies of my tax forms. Then they will get him credit, she explained that for 2012 anyone who made $1,130 and over will get one quarter credit for working. This is good to know if your child is near this mark you may want them to work a little extra in a calendar year to get credit for earnings.
Last edited by tovetove on Tue May 13, 2014 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vested1

Re: Letter my child got from social security administration

Post by vested1 » Mon May 12, 2014 5:54 pm

I would not ignore this. It's possible that someone has obtained your son's SS number and is using it fraudulently.

lostinjersey

Post by lostinjersey » Mon May 12, 2014 5:59 pm

SSNs are recycled, so it is possible your child's number hasn't yet been updated in their database and is still assigned to the prior owner. Or, as the pp stated, someone is fraudulently using the number. Either way this is not something to ignore. I would contact Social Security right away to get this straightened out.

hicabob

Post by hicabob » Mon May 12, 2014 6:01 pm

After finding a mistake from 25 years ago in my reported SS earnings , which I am unable to correct due to time/lack of docs, I told my non-minor kids to check their's annually - lo and behold one of my kids 2012 earnings was not reported. He went thru the complaint procedure with the local office and they "fixed" it. (2013 still doesn't show up but it's apparently too early to start harassing them about that). I view SS as a potentially nice benefit that one should be fussy about making sure contributions are recorded.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Mon May 12, 2014 6:02 pm

Two different people with the same SS #, yes...
Attempted new signature...

lostinjersey

Post by lostinjersey » Mon May 12, 2014 6:15 pm

Another possibility is that it's a simple clerical error with a incorrect SSN in someone's earnings records. In any case this is something that should be addressed right away so that it does not negatively impact your child down the line.

Topic Author
tovetove

Post by tovetove » Mon May 12, 2014 6:24 pm

The amount of earnings my son made is correct in the letter the part I have a question about is when it says it appears this belongs to someone else (referring to me the parent). I want him to get credit for these earnings but can he being a minor?

Beth*

Post by Beth* » Mon May 12, 2014 7:33 pm

A minor can get credit for social security earnings. My social security earnings statement shows earning from the job I had when I was 16.

vtjon

Post by vtjon » Mon May 12, 2014 8:33 pm

I also had self-employed earnings from age 16 and they show on my SS statement since I filed a Schedule C.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon May 12, 2014 8:40 pm

There are special rules if one is working for one's parent which is sort of hinted at in this thread.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Calm Man

Post by Calm Man » Mon May 12, 2014 8:45 pm

OP, I hope you learn from this at a minimum that you do not ignore a letter like this from a government agency (I am referring to the one a year ago). If he had self-employed income then you do want him to get credit for it. You also may need to file a tax return for him if you did not pay self-employment taxes at a minimum (possibly income taxes too depending on the amount). If it was withheld then it should be W2 income and not self-employed income. I suggest you call them with him there as he is the involved party and needs to know what is happening (provided he is competent which I suspect he is).

Vbahole

Post by Vbahole » Mon May 06, 2019 10:30 am

I just got the same letter for my daughter's earnings. Not looking forward to going through the process.

sjt

Post by sjt » Mon May 06, 2019 10:46 am

tovetove wrote:
Mon May 12, 2014 5:52 pm
The last two years my minor son had earned income which taxes were filed/paid.

..... with my son's young age of five with minor earnings
Am I reading correctly - is this the same person? With earned income at age 4 and 5?
"The one who covets is the poorer man, | For he would have that which he never can; | But he who doesn't have and doesn't crave | Is rich, though you may hold him but a knave." - Wife of Bath tale

GreenGrowTheDollars

Post by GreenGrowTheDollars » Mon May 06, 2019 1:51 pm

sjt wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 10:46 am
tovetove wrote:
Mon May 12, 2014 5:52 pm
The last two years my minor son had earned income which taxes were filed/paid.

..... with my son's young age of five with minor earnings
Am I reading correctly - is this the same person? With earned income at age 4 and 5?
Kids can definitely model or act at age 4 and 5.

Vbahole

Post by Vbahole » Mon May 06, 2019 7:32 pm

Yeah, my daughter has modeling income from four years old. She was getting w-2s for the first two years but this past year they sent a 1099.
I filed the taxes in the way they should be done and now I get this letter and hours of my life are going to be wasted at the gubment office