Rarely used items that are worth having?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
davebo

Rarely used items that are worth having?

Post by davebo » Fri May 03, 2019 9:45 am

We've had a ton of rain this week and noticed several houses in my area pumping water out to the street (either from basement or maybe back yard). I remembered a few years back, similar rain and people said they were having a hard time finding those pumps locally. I looked up the cost and they are not that expensive, so that's something I'd probably invest in if my neighbors were getting water (even if I didn't have any)

Anything else that is rarely used, but worth it's weight in gold when it's needed? (something physical, not something like insurance)

Quickfoot

Re: Rarely used items that are worth having?

Post by Quickfoot » Fri May 03, 2019 9:51 am

Printed copies of vital documents including IDs, birth certificates, etc.
$200-$500 in cash, small bills (mostly $5 and $10, you wont be able to make change in an emergency)
Atlas & local area maps (physical not digital)
2 weeks water stored (at least 1 gallon per person per day)
hand operated water filter
solar powered USB charger, > 20 watts, this will charge phones, portable battery packs, etc, should be about $50
USB light bulbs, plug into battery pack provide same light as 75 watt bulb on 5 volts.
Quality USB Portable battery pack (Anker is a good brand), used to charge phones, charged from the solar panel
7-30 days food (you can get a 5 gallon bucket with 30 days rations in it for ~ $100)

1-2 extra 5 gallon propane tanks (filled)
stove or burner that can attach to the propane tank
indoor safe heater that can attach to the propane tank (they make these for camping, anywhere from $75 to $150)
two way radios (GRS / family band is fine)
AM / FM battery powered radio

AA and AAA batteries, you can get 100 packs of each on Amazon for $20, 10 year shelf life.
Good (at least 100 lumen) LED flashlights

Optional:

quiet & small 1000-2000 watt inverter generator (Honda makes the best ones, the 1,000 watt is much more fuel efficient than larger generators)
5-10 gallons gas with fuel stablizer (allows it to last a year) for generator. In a true emergency you really shouldn't be trying to power anything over 1K watts anyway, run time is more important than high watt.

Enough extra gas to completely fill the tank on your most efficient vehicle at least once. In evacuations roads are LITTERED with cars that run out of gas because of traffic, you will NOT have access to gas stations to refuel. Problem with storing gas is it is flammable and perishable (only lasts a year with a fuel stablizer) so make sure to cycle it.
Last edited by Quickfoot on Fri May 03, 2019 10:05 am, edited 11 times in total.

peek

Post by peek » Fri May 03, 2019 9:53 am

I too have a pump. Though I hope I never need it where I am living our last house we needed it a couple times due to basement flooding in certain years. We keep enough electric heaters in our attic in the case of our boiler malfunctioning which is what happened the year we bought them. I returned several but kept enough so we can keep our house warm in a pinch (provided we don't also lose power). We would also like to have a generator which is another useful item that is seldom used by most people. We also keep an emergency box in the attic with candles, a radio, matches, power inverters and a few other things we may need in the case of power outage.

Wellfleet

Post by Wellfleet » Fri May 03, 2019 9:53 am

For snowy locations, a snow roof rake as well as electric pipe heat cables to thaw frozen pipes.

These become very scare in winter weather.

Ybsybs

Post by Ybsybs » Fri May 03, 2019 10:08 am

A will. :)

Raybo

Post by Raybo » Fri May 03, 2019 10:19 am

A folding touring bicycle
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.

Cheyenne

Post by Cheyenne » Fri May 03, 2019 10:25 am

Shotgun

cadreamer2015

Post by cadreamer2015 » Fri May 03, 2019 11:32 am

Fire extinguisher
De gustibus non est disputandum

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Fri May 03, 2019 11:40 am

Ybsybs wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 10:08 am
A will. :)
and a parachute. Have to work correctly the first time. No do-overs.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

packet

Post by packet » Fri May 03, 2019 11:41 am

elliptical machine?
:twisted:

:beer Cheers,
packet
First round’s on me.

kilkoyne

Post by kilkoyne » Fri May 03, 2019 11:59 am

Small trailer I pull with my car. I only paid $100 for it.

I may only use it a half dozen times/year. Much better than owning a large truck for me.

ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf » Fri May 03, 2019 12:00 pm

Emergency tools, including gas line shut off tool, water line shutoff tool.

Also including ax, sledgehammer, large prybar/crowbar/wrecking tool, and a 10 ton hydraulic jack. None of these may ever be needed, but if they are needed nothing else will really do a satisfactory job. I also understand that these would not be practical for an apartment dweller.

All of these tools can be had (in Harbor Freight quality) for less than $20 each.

Ralph

ohai

Post by ohai » Fri May 03, 2019 12:10 pm

Basically, every item that is useless most of the time, but incredibly important when you need it. Like immodium.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Fri May 03, 2019 1:53 pm

A wrench stored next to your gas meter's shutoff valve, if you live in an area such as I do that's a high earthquake risk

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Fri May 03, 2019 2:03 pm

Very slippery slope.

You'll consume a ton of storage space if you purchase everything that you'll rarely use but imagine you might need some day. Plus, you'll almost certainly lose it or forget where you put it.

When in doubt, remember YAGNI.
Last edited by JoeRetire on Fri May 03, 2019 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GCD

Post by GCD » Fri May 03, 2019 3:08 pm

Wellfleet wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 9:53 am
a snow roof rake
I had no idea such a thing existed. This is actually something different from a regular rake?

Conch55

Post by Conch55 » Fri May 03, 2019 3:11 pm

In my case a portable generator. It's been useful mainly as a hurricane deterrent device. I still use it for the occasional outages.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Fri May 03, 2019 3:11 pm

GCD wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 3:08 pm
Wellfleet wrote:
a snow roof rake
I had no idea such a thing existed. This is actually something different from a regular rake?
If they are what I think the are, it is a very long handle rake-like device that is used to pull snow off a roof. I've seen variations ranging from wooden dowl tines to ends that looked like long, thin snow shovels. We had one when we lived in Boston. In order to use it we had to climb out a window onto a sun-room roof and reach up to pull drifts down. While out there, I used a shovel to clear the sun-room roof which wasn't pitched very much.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Abe

Post by Abe » Fri May 03, 2019 4:22 pm

Toilet auger. Rigid makes a good one for about $35 at Home Depot.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Strayshot

Post by Strayshot » Fri May 03, 2019 4:33 pm

Stud finder

Water shut off tool for the meter at the street

Roof patch tar that can be applied when still wet

Steri-strips (they close wounds like stitches)

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Fri May 03, 2019 5:36 pm

A hot tub.

Cold medications/cough drops in the cabinet before you get a cold. Mine usually get old before being used and I have to replace them....but they are priceless when needed.

Several gallons of water and battery operated lights, etc. for power outages (which may last an hour or several days).

Spare tire that actually contains air. And the appropriate tools, of course.

Small Savanna

Post by Small Savanna » Fri May 03, 2019 6:07 pm

Jumper cables. When I was young and drove old cars I needed them a lot. Not so much now, but it will also give you a chance to be a Good Samaritan occasionally.

corn18

Post by corn18 » Fri May 03, 2019 6:27 pm

Spouse :shock:
Don't do something, just stand there!

Will do good

Post by Will do good » Fri May 03, 2019 6:31 pm

Quickfoot wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 9:51 am
Printed copies of vital documents including IDs, birth certificates, etc.
$200-$500 in cash, small bills (mostly $5 and $10, you wont be able to make change in an emergency)
Atlas & local area maps (physical not digital)
2 weeks water stored (at least 1 gallon per person per day)
hand operated water filter
solar powered USB charger, > 20 watts, this will charge phones, portable battery packs, etc, should be about $50
USB light bulbs, plug into battery pack provide same light as 75 watt bulb on 5 volts.
Quality USB Portable battery pack (Anker is a good brand), used to charge phones, charged from the solar panel
7-30 days food (you can get a 5 gallon bucket with 30 days rations in it for ~ $100)

1-2 extra 5 gallon propane tanks (filled)
stove or burner that can attach to the propane tank
indoor safe heater that can attach to the propane tank (they make these for camping, anywhere from $75 to $150)
two way radios (GRS / family band is fine)
AM / FM battery powered radio

AA and AAA batteries, you can get 100 packs of each on Amazon for $20, 10 year shelf life.
Good (at least 100 lumen) LED flashlights

Optional:

quiet & small 1000-2000 watt inverter generator (Honda makes the best ones, the 1,000 watt is much more fuel efficient than larger generators)
5-10 gallons gas with fuel stablizer (allows it to last a year) for generator. In a true emergency you really shouldn't be trying to power anything over 1K watts anyway, run time is more important than high watt.

Enough extra gas to completely fill the tank on your most efficient vehicle at least once. In evacuations roads are LITTERED with cars that run out of gas because of traffic, you will NOT have access to gas stations to refuel. Problem with storing gas is it is flammable and perishable (only lasts a year with a fuel stablizer) so make sure to cycle it.
Good list, thanks.

NYC_Guy

Post by NYC_Guy » Fri May 03, 2019 6:59 pm

Assuming we are talking about sub $1000...

No doubt, a full size, dry powder fire extinguisher. That’s actually got a charge. A 20 ga shotgun is a close second.

btenny

Post by btenny » Fri May 03, 2019 7:14 pm

Boat/boat trailer
cooler chest
bike
electric air pump for bike or car
Bose portable stereo
clothes hanger for car
snow skis
snow ski winter jacket, pants and gloves
snow ski boots
giant rake for water weeds or roof snow or rock yard
snow blower
mouse traps
house tool bag and hand tools
several led flashlights with batteries
red cross emergency am/fm/weather hand crank radio and light

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Fri May 03, 2019 7:20 pm

jebmke wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 3:11 pm
GCD wrote:
Wellfleet wrote:
a snow roof rake
If they are what I think the are, it is a very long handle rake-like device that is used to pull snow off a roof. I've seen variations ranging from wooden dowl tines to ends that looked like long, thin snow shovels. We had one when we lived in Boston. In order to use it we had to climb out a window onto a sun-room roof and reach up to pull drifts down. While out there, I used a shovel to clear the sun-room roof which wasn't pitched very much.
They sell some that have extending poles now that can reach the second story from the ground - hard to control though (I took out a second story screen). One bad winter with more and more snow that never melted we got 3+ feet of wet/heavy snow on our roof (many more on the ground) and houses in the area had roofs caving in - and all the snow rakes are quickly out of stock (I borrowed my neighboors). Only used them twice in 30 years were I live. Climb up there and shovel or pull out the roof rake. (I dont need to buy one though unless my neighbor moves :) - it's a 10 year event for me).

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Fri May 03, 2019 7:24 pm

Just make sure your neighbor has one and borrow it from them ;)

Utility trailer, extra tall ladder, power washer, etc.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Fri May 03, 2019 7:28 pm

Cheyenne wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 10:25 am
Shotgun
Of no use if you don't have the requisite accessories :twisted:
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

aspirit

Post by aspirit » Fri May 03, 2019 7:30 pm

WELL PUTOGETHER customized EMERGENCY KITS
Time & tides wait for no one. A man has to know his limitations. | "Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes it's laws" | — Mayer Amschel Bauer Rothschild ~

btenny

Post by btenny » Fri May 03, 2019 7:32 pm

For those of you who want to own a generator you need at least 2000 watts to power your refrigerator and a few led lights. If you want to run a heater or AC unit you need 4000 watts. So you need a bigger generator than that 1000 watt Honda generator. See below.

http://www.generatorgrader.com/what-siz ... do-i-need/
https://www.amazon.com/Champion-7500-Wa ... merReviews

Boglegrappler

Post by Boglegrappler » Fri May 03, 2019 7:38 pm

Jumper cables. When I was young and drove old cars I needed them a lot. Not so much now, but it will also give you a chance to be a Good Samaritan occasionally.
When I acquire a new car, the first thing I buy is a set of jumper cables to keep in it. They see use every couple years or so...sometimes to help others.

It seems excessive, but if you're well enough off, I've wondered about buying an automatic defibrillator for the house or the car. I suppose that depends on your own personal cardiac situation.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Fri May 03, 2019 7:46 pm

btenny wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 7:32 pm
For those of you who want to own a generator you need at least 2000 watts to power your refrigerator and a few led lights. If you want to run a heater or AC unit you need 4000 watts. So you need a bigger generator than that 1000 watt Honda generator. See below.

http://www.generatorgrader.com/what-siz ... do-i-need/
https://www.amazon.com/Champion-7500-Wa ... merReviews
I bought the Champion Dual Fuel generator 8400 watts from Costco a few years ago, it's calibrated to be safe to use with electronics. Some of the other generators including the one sold on Amazon may not have that same calibration. Other than that, I will say it's much louder than my neighbors Honda (2) 1000 watt piggybacked inverter that can be used to run his coffee maker, charge his phones and run the refrigerator. Every so often, I start it up and the neighbor comes out of the back door wondering who's doing the jack hammering :). I will say though, it has enough power to run pretty much anything you need for modern convenience. I run it off 5 gallon propane tanks, I'd rather keep the propane than large quantities of flammable gas on hand.

Adding to the list: Swiss Army Knife
Heavy Duty Rope
Motor oil - all these backup motorized devices need lubrication after a certain amount of hours.
Non-perishable food
Necessary medication even if used with regularity, make sure you have enough on hand in case of store closure or no mail is delivered.
Last edited by Grt2bOutdoors on Fri May 03, 2019 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

surfstar

Post by surfstar » Fri May 03, 2019 7:46 pm

#6 Black Diamond Camalot - don't usually bring it on trips, unless I think I'm going to need it and when you need it - it can literally be a life saver...

(not my pic)

(its a piece of climbing protection FYI)

Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose » Fri May 03, 2019 9:36 pm

Fly swatter

And I can’t find mine at the moment...
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.

flamesabers

Post by flamesabers » Fri May 03, 2019 9:50 pm

jebmke wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 3:11 pm
GCD wrote:
Wellfleet wrote:
a snow roof rake
Yes, it sounds like a roof rake you're describing. I've used it lots of times during the last winter when clearing the roof of my elderly mother's house. If you own a house and snow can easily accumulate on your roof, such a device is a necessity. Otherwise you risk having your roof collapse when there's too much snow on your roof.

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Fri May 03, 2019 10:25 pm

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 7:28 pm
Cheyenne wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 10:25 am
Shotgun
Of no use if you don't have the requisite accessories :twisted:
You might be surprised. I suspect few will want to call your bluff.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Fri May 03, 2019 10:28 pm

surfstar wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 7:46 pm
#6 Black Diamond Camalot - don't usually bring it on trips, unless I think I'm going to need it and when you need it - it can literally be a life saver...

(not my pic)

I feel the same way about a # 4. If I need a # 6, I'm clearly in the wrong place. :)

I did a canyon once that required two # 6s for aid unless you can free climb 11+ offwidth.

Here it is: https://www.canyoneeringusa.com/north-wash/sandthrax
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Fri May 03, 2019 10:43 pm

ralph124cf wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 12:00 pm
Emergency tools, including gas line shut off tool, water line shutoff tool.

Also including ax, sledgehammer, large prybar/crowbar/wrecking tool, and a 10 ton hydraulic jack. None of these may ever be needed, but if they are needed nothing else will really do a satisfactory job. I also understand that these would not be practical for an apartment dweller.

All of these tools can be had (in Harbor Freight quality) for less than $20 each.

Ralph
As much as my back and knees would love to have one of these, rather than find a place to store one I will continue to use a crescent wrench and a screwdriver (inserted through the hole at the end of the crescent wrench to use as a handle on the vertical wrench). And I always know where to find those when I need them in a hurry.

Medications for acute issues and tools would be the top two categories on my list.

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Fri May 03, 2019 11:14 pm

When I saw the title of this thread, my thoughts went to kitchen gadgets.
Preparing for kitchen remodel I had to pack up everything. Kitchen gadgets ended up being divided into 3 piles: Keep in kitchen, store in easy-to-reach set of drawers in garage, and toss it.

Once or twice a year when I opt to roast a chicken (or rock Cornish game hen) I go out to the garage to find my turkey baster.

Costco roasted chickens may make my baster obsolete.

nguy44

Post by nguy44 » Sat May 04, 2019 12:00 am

Boglegrappler wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 7:38 pm
When I acquire a new car, the first thing I buy is a set of jumper cables to keep in it. They see use every couple years or so...sometimes to help others.

It seems excessive, but if you're well enough off, I've wondered about buying an automatic defibrillator for the house or the car. I suppose that depends on your own personal cardiac situation.
Perhaps a better, though more expensive, item is a portable car jump starter. Small, no need to connect to another car, no need to remember which sequence to connect/disconnect the cables. It can also double as a USB charger if desired.

leeks

Post by leeks » Sat May 04, 2019 1:12 am

Checkbook
Landline phone that doesn't need electricity
Plunger
Pipe snake
Thermometer

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Sat May 04, 2019 1:52 am

Pacific NW resident here. This occurred to me today while driving home:

Sunglasses

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Sat May 04, 2019 3:52 am

First aid kit
Dash cam (while the camera is technically used frequently, the footage is not)
Inflatable mattress(es)

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Sat May 04, 2019 5:55 am

a television
Funding secured

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Sat May 04, 2019 7:43 am

Boglegrappler wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 7:38 pm
When I acquire a newer car, it usually replaces a car I've been driving for awhile. I just relocate the jumper cables. Maybe you should consider saving the cost of cables when you buy your next car?

runner540

Post by runner540 » Sat May 04, 2019 8:17 am

Large portable serving dishes with lids (for potlucks, etc.)
Airpot for serving large amounts of hot coffee.
Humidifier for when you're sick.
Already said above, but a well stocked first aid and medicine kit, including thermometer. Ice packs in the freezer.
Sleeping bag for camps.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sat May 04, 2019 9:10 am

Tools. I don't mean a hammer, screwdriver and drill but less common things. When doing remodeling I used a lot of them regularly. Now I rarely use some of them (table saw, air compressor), but when I need to fix something or some project pops into my head it is nice to have them. Some I don't anticipate needing again like the flooring nailer for installing wood floors but it seems silly to just get rid of them when you have the space.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat May 04, 2019 9:44 am

Compact Mig or Flux core wire feed welding machine and the skill and tools to use it.
Uses are endless.
Build steel barn, fix driveway gate hinge, fix BBQ lid handle, modify trailer, fix mower, . . . . .
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

surfstar

Post by surfstar » Sat May 04, 2019 10:04 am

White Coat Investor wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 10:28 pm
surfstar wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 7:46 pm

I feel the same way about a # 4. If I need a # 6, I'm clearly in the wrong place. :)

I did a canyon once that required two # 6s for aid unless you can free climb 11+ offwidth.

Here it is: https://www.canyoneeringusa.com/north-wash/sandthrax
#4 is perfect fists for me, so I don't mind that as much ;)

That sounds rough! 5.8 OW is too hard as is ... 11+, no thanks. Our last trip to Jtree, I did get to place me new BD #5 on a couple and a #6 on one route - despite the "easier" ratings, those two climbs were the hardest of the trip!