Rarely used items that are worth having?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
davebo
Posts: 813
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:02 am

Rarely used items that are worth having?

Post by davebo » Fri May 03, 2019 9:45 am

We've had a ton of rain this week and noticed several houses in my area pumping water out to the street (either from basement or maybe back yard). I remembered a few years back, similar rain and people said they were having a hard time finding those pumps locally. I looked up the cost and they are not that expensive, so that's something I'd probably invest in if my neighbors were getting water (even if I didn't have any)

Anything else that is rarely used, but worth it's weight in gold when it's needed? (something physical, not something like insurance)

Quickfoot
Posts: 1155
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:03 pm

Re: Rarely used items that are worth having?

Post by Quickfoot » Fri May 03, 2019 9:51 am

Printed copies of vital documents including IDs, birth certificates, etc.
$200-$500 in cash, small bills (mostly $5 and $10, you wont be able to make change in an emergency)
Atlas & local area maps (physical not digital)
2 weeks water stored (at least 1 gallon per person per day)
hand operated water filter
solar powered USB charger, > 20 watts, this will charge phones, portable battery packs, etc, should be about $50
USB light bulbs, plug into battery pack provide same light as 75 watt bulb on 5 volts.
Quality USB Portable battery pack (Anker is a good brand), used to charge phones, charged from the solar panel
7-30 days food (you can get a 5 gallon bucket with 30 days rations in it for ~ $100)

1-2 extra 5 gallon propane tanks (filled)
stove or burner that can attach to the propane tank
indoor safe heater that can attach to the propane tank (they make these for camping, anywhere from $75 to $150)
two way radios (GRS / family band is fine)
AM / FM battery powered radio

AA and AAA batteries, you can get 100 packs of each on Amazon for $20, 10 year shelf life.
Good (at least 100 lumen) LED flashlights

Optional:

quiet & small 1000-2000 watt inverter generator (Honda makes the best ones, the 1,000 watt is much more fuel efficient than larger generators)
5-10 gallons gas with fuel stablizer (allows it to last a year) for generator. In a true emergency you really shouldn't be trying to power anything over 1K watts anyway, run time is more important than high watt.

Enough extra gas to completely fill the tank on your most efficient vehicle at least once. In evacuations roads are LITTERED with cars that run out of gas because of traffic, you will NOT have access to gas stations to refuel. Problem with storing gas is it is flammable and perishable (only lasts a year with a fuel stablizer) so make sure to cycle it.
Last edited by Quickfoot on Fri May 03, 2019 10:05 am, edited 11 times in total.

peek
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:28 am

Re: Rarely used items that are worth having?

Post by peek » Fri May 03, 2019 9:53 am

I too have a pump. Though I hope I never need it where I am living our last house we needed it a couple times due to basement flooding in certain years. We keep enough electric heaters in our attic in the case of our boiler malfunctioning which is what happened the year we bought them. I returned several but kept enough so we can keep our house warm in a pinch (provided we don't also lose power). We would also like to have a generator which is another useful item that is seldom used by most people. We also keep an emergency box in the attic with candles, a radio, matches, power inverters and a few other things we may need in the case of power outage.

Wellfleet
Posts: 533
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:18 pm

Re: Rarely used items that are worth having?

Post by Wellfleet » Fri May 03, 2019 9:53 am

For snowy locations, a snow roof rake as well as electric pipe heat cables to thaw frozen pipes.

These become very scare in winter weather.

Ybsybs
Posts: 507
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:28 pm

Re: Rarely used items that are worth having?

Post by Ybsybs » Fri May 03, 2019 10:08 am

A will. :)

User avatar
Raybo
Posts: 1818
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:02 am
Location: San Francisco
Contact:

Re: Rarely used items that are worth having?

Post by Raybo » Fri May 03, 2019 10:19 am

A folding touring bicycle
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.

Cheyenne
Posts: 479
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:46 am

Re: Rarely used items that are worth having?

Post by Cheyenne » Fri May 03, 2019 10:25 am

Shotgun

cadreamer2015
Posts: 841
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:52 pm
Location: North County San Diego

Re: Rarely used items that are worth having?

Post by cadreamer2015 » Fri May 03, 2019 11:32 am

Fire extinguisher
De gustibus non est disputandum

jebmke
Posts: 9496
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Rarely used items that are worth having?

Post by jebmke » Fri May 03, 2019 11:40 am

Ybsybs wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 10:08 am
A will. :)
and a parachute. Have to work correctly the first time. No do-overs.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

User avatar
packet
Posts: 814
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:23 am
Location: The pub

Re: Rarely used items that are worth having?

Post by packet » Fri May 03, 2019 11:41 am

elliptical machine?
:twisted:

:beer Cheers,
packet
First round’s on me.

kilkoyne
Posts: 106
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:38 am

Re: Rarely used items that are worth having?

Post by kilkoyne » Fri May 03, 2019 11:59 am

Small trailer I pull with my car. I only paid $100 for it.

I may only use it a half dozen times/year. Much better than owning a large truck for me.

ralph124cf
Posts: 2278
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:41 am

Re: Rarely used items that are worth having?

Post by ralph124cf » Fri May 03, 2019 12:00 pm

Emergency tools, including gas line shut off tool, water line shutoff tool.

Also including ax, sledgehammer, large prybar/crowbar/wrecking tool, and a 10 ton hydraulic jack. None of these may ever be needed, but if they are needed nothing else will really do a satisfactory job. I also understand that these would not be practical for an apartment dweller.

All of these tools can be had (in Harbor Freight quality) for less than $20 each.

Ralph

ohai
Posts: 918
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:10 pm

Re: Rarely used items that are worth having?

Post by ohai » Fri May 03, 2019 12:10 pm

Basically, every item that is useless most of the time, but incredibly important when you need it. Like immodium.

neilpilot
Posts: 2663
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:46 pm
Location: Memphis area

Re: Rarely used items that are worth having?

Post by neilpilot » Fri May 03, 2019 1:53 pm

A wrench stored next to your gas meter's shutoff valve, if you live in an area such as I do that's a high earthquake risk

JoeRetire
Posts: 2807
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:44 pm

Re: Rarely used items that are worth having?

Post by JoeRetire » Fri May 03, 2019 2:03 pm

Very slippery slope.

You'll consume a ton of storage space if you purchase everything that you'll rarely use but imagine you might need some day. Plus, you'll almost certainly lose it or forget where you put it.

When in doubt, remember YAGNI.
Last edited by JoeRetire on Fri May 03, 2019 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GCD
Posts: 996
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:11 pm

Re: Rarely used items that are worth having?

Post by GCD » Fri May 03, 2019 3:08 pm

Wellfleet wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 9:53 am
a snow roof rake
I had no idea such a thing existed. This is actually something different from a regular rake?

User avatar
Conch55
Posts: 232
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:03 am

Re: Rarely used items that are worth having?

Post by Conch55 » Fri May 03, 2019 3:11 pm

In my case a portable generator. It's been useful mainly as a hurricane deterrent device. I still use it for the occasional outages.

jebmke
Posts: 9496
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Rarely used items that are worth having?

Post by jebmke » Fri May 03, 2019 3:11 pm

GCD wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 3:08 pm
Wellfleet wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 9:53 am
a snow roof rake
I had no idea such a thing existed. This is actually something different from a regular rake?
If they are what I think the are, it is a very long handle rake-like device that is used to pull snow off a roof. I've seen variations ranging from wooden dowl tines to ends that looked like long, thin snow shovels. We had one when we lived in Boston. In order to use it we had to climb out a window onto a sun-room roof and reach up to pull drifts down. While out there, I used a shovel to clear the sun-room roof which wasn't pitched very much.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

User avatar
Abe
Posts: 1968
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:24 pm
Location: Earth in the Milky Way Galaxy

Re: Rarely used items that are worth having?

Post by Abe » Fri May 03, 2019 4:22 pm

Toilet auger. Rigid makes a good one for about $35 at Home Depot.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Strayshot
Posts: 572
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:04 am
Location: New Mexico

Re: Rarely used items that are worth having?

Post by Strayshot » Fri May 03, 2019 4:33 pm

Stud finder

Water shut off tool for the meter at the street

Roof patch tar that can be applied when still wet

Steri-strips (they close wounds like stitches)

retiredjg
Posts: 37142
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:56 pm

Re: Rarely used items that are worth having?

Post by retiredjg » Fri May 03, 2019 5:36 pm

A hot tub.

Cold medications/cough drops in the cabinet before you get a cold. Mine usually get old before being used and I have to replace them....but they are priceless when needed.

Several gallons of water and battery operated lights, etc. for power outages (which may last an hour or several days).

Spare tire that actually contains air. And the appropriate tools, of course.

Small Savanna
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:27 am

Re: Rarely used items that are worth having?

Post by Small Savanna » Fri May 03, 2019 6:07 pm

Jumper cables. When I was young and drove old cars I needed them a lot. Not so much now, but it will also give you a chance to be a Good Samaritan occasionally.

User avatar
corn18
Posts: 1467
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 6:24 am

Re: Rarely used items that are worth having?

Post by corn18 » Fri May 03, 2019 6:27 pm

Spouse :shock:
Don't do something, just stand there!

User avatar
Will do good
Posts: 853
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:23 pm

Re: Rarely used items that are worth having?

Post by Will do good » Fri May 03, 2019 6:31 pm

Quickfoot wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 9:51 am
Printed copies of vital documents including IDs, birth certificates, etc.
$200-$500 in cash, small bills (mostly $5 and $10, you wont be able to make change in an emergency)
Atlas & local area maps (physical not digital)
2 weeks water stored (at least 1 gallon per person per day)
hand operated water filter
solar powered USB charger, > 20 watts, this will charge phones, portable battery packs, etc, should be about $50
USB light bulbs, plug into battery pack provide same light as 75 watt bulb on 5 volts.
Quality USB Portable battery pack (Anker is a good brand), used to charge phones, charged from the solar panel
7-30 days food (you can get a 5 gallon bucket with 30 days rations in it for ~ $100)

1-2 extra 5 gallon propane tanks (filled)
stove or burner that can attach to the propane tank
indoor safe heater that can attach to the propane tank (they make these for camping, anywhere from $75 to $150)
two way radios (GRS / family band is fine)
AM / FM battery powered radio

AA and AAA batteries, you can get 100 packs of each on Amazon for $20, 10 year shelf life.
Good (at least 100 lumen) LED flashlights

Optional:

quiet & small 1000-2000 watt inverter generator (Honda makes the best ones, the 1,000 watt is much more fuel efficient than larger generators)
5-10 gallons gas with fuel stablizer (allows it to last a year) for generator. In a true emergency you really shouldn't be trying to power anything over 1K watts anyway, run time is more important than high watt.

Enough extra gas to completely fill the tank on your most efficient vehicle at least once. In evacuations roads are LITTERED with cars that run out of gas because of traffic, you will NOT have access to gas stations to refuel. Problem with storing gas is it is flammable and perishable (only lasts a year with a fuel stablizer) so make sure to cycle it.
Good list, thanks.

NYC_Guy
Posts: 303
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:23 pm
Location: New York

Re: Rarely used items that are worth having?

Post by NYC_Guy » Fri May 03, 2019 6:59 pm

Assuming we are talking about sub $1000...

No doubt, a full size, dry powder fire extinguisher. That’s actually got a charge. A 20 ga shotgun is a close second.

btenny
Posts: 5103
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:47 pm

Re: Rarely used items that are worth having?

Post by btenny » Fri May 03, 2019 7:14 pm

Boat/boat trailer
cooler chest
bike
electric air pump for bike or car
Bose portable stereo
clothes hanger for car
snow skis
snow ski winter jacket, pants and gloves
snow ski boots
giant rake for water weeds or roof snow or rock yard
snow blower
mouse traps
house tool bag and hand tools
several led flashlights with batteries
red cross emergency am/fm/weather hand crank radio and light

DaftInvestor
Posts: 4680
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:11 am

Re: Rarely used items that are worth having?

Post by DaftInvestor » Fri May 03, 2019 7:20 pm

jebmke wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 3:11 pm
GCD wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 3:08 pm
Wellfleet wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 9:53 am
a snow roof rake
I had no idea such a thing existed. This is actually something different from a regular rake?
If they are what I think the are, it is a very long handle rake-like device that is used to pull snow off a roof. I've seen variations ranging from wooden dowl tines to ends that looked like long, thin snow shovels. We had one when we lived in Boston. In order to use it we had to climb out a window onto a sun-room roof and reach up to pull drifts down. While out there, I used a shovel to clear the sun-room roof which wasn't pitched very much.
They sell some that have extending poles now that can reach the second story from the ground - hard to control though (I took out a second story screen). One bad winter with more and more snow that never melted we got 3+ feet of wet/heavy snow on our roof (many more on the ground) and houses in the area had roofs caving in - and all the snow rakes are quickly out of stock (I borrowed my neighboors). Only used them twice in 30 years were I live. Climb up there and shovel or pull out the roof rake. (I dont need to buy one though unless my neighbor moves :) - it's a 10 year event for me).

User avatar
fortfun
Posts: 2173
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:31 pm

Re: Rarely used items that are worth having?

Post by fortfun » Fri May 03, 2019 7:24 pm

Just make sure your neighbor has one and borrow it from them ;)

Utility trailer, extra tall ladder, power washer, etc.

Grt2bOutdoors
Posts: 20966
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: New York

Re: Rarely used items that are worth having?

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Fri May 03, 2019 7:28 pm

Cheyenne wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 10:25 am
Shotgun
Of no use if you don't have the requisite accessories :twisted:
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

User avatar
aspirit
Posts: 478
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:52 am
Location: SMA.SFL

Re: Rarely used items that are worth having?

Post by aspirit » Fri May 03, 2019 7:30 pm

WELL PUTOGETHER customized EMERGENCY KITS
Time & tides wait for no one. A man has to know his limitations. | "Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes it's laws" | — Mayer Amschel Bauer Rothschild ~

btenny
Posts: 5103
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:47 pm

Re: Rarely used items that are worth having?

Post by btenny » Fri May 03, 2019 7:32 pm

For those of you who want to own a generator you need at least 2000 watts to power your refrigerator and a few led lights. If you want to run a heater or AC unit you need 4000 watts. So you need a bigger generator than that 1000 watt Honda generator. See below.

http://www.generatorgrader.com/what-siz ... do-i-need/
https://www.amazon.com/Champion-7500-Wa ... merReviews

Boglegrappler
Posts: 1174
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:24 am

Re: Rarely used items that are worth having?

Post by Boglegrappler » Fri May 03, 2019 7:38 pm

Jumper cables. When I was young and drove old cars I needed them a lot. Not so much now, but it will also give you a chance to be a Good Samaritan occasionally.
When I acquire a new car, the first thing I buy is a set of jumper cables to keep in it. They see use every couple years or so...sometimes to help others.

It seems excessive, but if you're well enough off, I've wondered about buying an automatic defibrillator for the house or the car. I suppose that depends on your own personal cardiac situation.

Grt2bOutdoors
Posts: 20966
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: New York

Re: Rarely used items that are worth having?

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Fri May 03, 2019 7:46 pm

btenny wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 7:32 pm
For those of you who want to own a generator you need at least 2000 watts to power your refrigerator and a few led lights. If you want to run a heater or AC unit you need 4000 watts. So you need a bigger generator than that 1000 watt Honda generator. See below.

http://www.generatorgrader.com/what-siz ... do-i-need/
https://www.amazon.com/Champion-7500-Wa ... merReviews
I bought the Champion Dual Fuel generator 8400 watts from Costco a few years ago, it's calibrated to be safe to use with electronics. Some of the other generators including the one sold on Amazon may not have that same calibration. Other than that, I will say it's much louder than my neighbors Honda (2) 1000 watt piggybacked inverter that can be used to run his coffee maker, charge his phones and run the refrigerator. Every so often, I start it up and the neighbor comes out of the back door wondering who's doing the jack hammering :). I will say though, it has enough power to run pretty much anything you need for modern convenience. I run it off 5 gallon propane tanks, I'd rather keep the propane than large quantities of flammable gas on hand.

Adding to the list: Swiss Army Knife
Heavy Duty Rope
Motor oil - all these backup motorized devices need lubrication after a certain amount of hours.
Non-perishable food
Necessary medication even if used with regularity, make sure you have enough on hand in case of store closure or no mail is delivered.
Last edited by Grt2bOutdoors on Fri May 03, 2019 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

surfstar
Posts: 1684
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:17 pm
Location: Santa Barbara, CA

Re: Rarely used items that are worth having?

Post by surfstar » Fri May 03, 2019 7:46 pm

#6 Black Diamond Camalot - don't usually bring it on trips, unless I think I'm going to need it and when you need it - it can literally be a life saver...

(not my pic)
Image


(its a piece of climbing protection FYI)

Nearly A Moose
Posts: 997
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:28 pm

Re: Rarely used items that are worth having?

Post by Nearly A Moose » Fri May 03, 2019 9:36 pm

Fly swatter



And I can’t find mine at the moment...
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.

User avatar
flamesabers
Posts: 1801
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:05 pm
Location: Rochester, MN

Re: Rarely used items that are worth having?

Post by flamesabers » Fri May 03, 2019 9:50 pm

jebmke wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 3:11 pm
GCD wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 3:08 pm
Wellfleet wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 9:53 am
a snow roof rake
I had no idea such a thing existed. This is actually something different from a regular rake?
If they are what I think the are, it is a very long handle rake-like device that is used to pull snow off a roof. I've seen variations ranging from wooden dowl tines to ends that looked like long, thin snow shovels. We had one when we lived in Boston. In order to use it we had to climb out a window onto a sun-room roof and reach up to pull drifts down. While out there, I used a shovel to clear the sun-room roof which wasn't pitched very much.
Yes, it sounds like a roof rake you're describing. I've used it lots of times during the last winter when clearing the roof of my elderly mother's house. If you own a house and snow can easily accumulate on your roof, such a device is a necessity. Otherwise you risk having your roof collapse when there's too much snow on your roof.

User avatar
White Coat Investor
Posts: 14087
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Greatest Snow On Earth

Re: Rarely used items that are worth having?

Post by White Coat Investor » Fri May 03, 2019 10:25 pm

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 7:28 pm
Cheyenne wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 10:25 am
Shotgun
Of no use if you don't have the requisite accessories :twisted:
You might be surprised. I suspect few will want to call your bluff.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

User avatar
White Coat Investor
Posts: 14087
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Greatest Snow On Earth

Re: Rarely used items that are worth having?

Post by White Coat Investor » Fri May 03, 2019 10:28 pm

surfstar wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 7:46 pm
#6 Black Diamond Camalot - don't usually bring it on trips, unless I think I'm going to need it and when you need it - it can literally be a life saver...

(not my pic)
Image


(its a piece of climbing protection FYI)
I feel the same way about a # 4. If I need a # 6, I'm clearly in the wrong place. :)

I did a canyon once that required two # 6s for aid unless you can free climb 11+ offwidth.

Here it is: https://www.canyoneeringusa.com/north-wash/sandthrax
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

User avatar
Doom&Gloom
Posts: 2857
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 3:36 pm

Re: Rarely used items that are worth having?

Post by Doom&Gloom » Fri May 03, 2019 10:43 pm

ralph124cf wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 12:00 pm
Emergency tools, including gas line shut off tool, water line shutoff tool.

Also including ax, sledgehammer, large prybar/crowbar/wrecking tool, and a 10 ton hydraulic jack. None of these may ever be needed, but if they are needed nothing else will really do a satisfactory job. I also understand that these would not be practical for an apartment dweller.

All of these tools can be had (in Harbor Freight quality) for less than $20 each.

Ralph
As much as my back and knees would love to have one of these, rather than find a place to store one I will continue to use a crescent wrench and a screwdriver (inserted through the hole at the end of the crescent wrench to use as a handle on the vertical wrench). And I always know where to find those when I need them in a hurry.

Medications for acute issues and tools would be the top two categories on my list.

User avatar
GerryL
Posts: 2372
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:40 pm

Re: Rarely used items that are worth having?

Post by GerryL » Fri May 03, 2019 11:14 pm

When I saw the title of this thread, my thoughts went to kitchen gadgets.
Preparing for kitchen remodel I had to pack up everything. Kitchen gadgets ended up being divided into 3 piles: Keep in kitchen, store in easy-to-reach set of drawers in garage, and toss it.

Once or twice a year when I opt to roast a chicken (or rock Cornish game hen) I go out to the garage to find my turkey baster.

Costco roasted chickens may make my baster obsolete.

nguy44
Posts: 159
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:52 pm

Re: Rarely used items that are worth having?

Post by nguy44 » Sat May 04, 2019 12:00 am

Boglegrappler wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 7:38 pm
Jumper cables. When I was young and drove old cars I needed them a lot. Not so much now, but it will also give you a chance to be a Good Samaritan occasionally.
When I acquire a new car, the first thing I buy is a set of jumper cables to keep in it. They see use every couple years or so...sometimes to help others.

It seems excessive, but if you're well enough off, I've wondered about buying an automatic defibrillator for the house or the car. I suppose that depends on your own personal cardiac situation.
Perhaps a better, though more expensive, item is a portable car jump starter. Small, no need to connect to another car, no need to remember which sequence to connect/disconnect the cables. It can also double as a USB charger if desired.

User avatar
leeks
Posts: 741
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:33 pm
Location: new york

Re: Rarely used items that are worth having?

Post by leeks » Sat May 04, 2019 1:12 am

Checkbook
Landline phone that doesn't need electricity
Plunger
Pipe snake
Thermometer

iamlucky13
Posts: 1367
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:28 pm
Location: Western Washington

Re: Rarely used items that are worth having?

Post by iamlucky13 » Sat May 04, 2019 1:52 am

Pacific NW resident here. This occurred to me today while driving home:

Sunglasses

bluebolt
Posts: 894
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:01 am

Re: Rarely used items that are worth having?

Post by bluebolt » Sat May 04, 2019 3:52 am

First aid kit
Dash cam (while the camera is technically used frequently, the footage is not)
Inflatable mattress(es)

User avatar
DanMahowny
Posts: 920
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:25 pm

Re: Rarely used items that are worth having?

Post by DanMahowny » Sat May 04, 2019 5:55 am

a television
Funding secured

neilpilot
Posts: 2663
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:46 pm
Location: Memphis area

Re: Rarely used items that are worth having?

Post by neilpilot » Sat May 04, 2019 7:43 am

Boglegrappler wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 7:38 pm
Jumper cables. When I was young and drove old cars I needed them a lot. Not so much now, but it will also give you a chance to be a Good Samaritan occasionally.
When I acquire a new car, the first thing I buy is a set of jumper cables to keep in it. They see use every couple years or so...sometimes to help others.
When I acquire a newer car, it usually replaces a car I've been driving for awhile. I just relocate the jumper cables. Maybe you should consider saving the cost of cables when you buy your next car?

runner540
Posts: 1000
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:43 pm

Re: Rarely used items that are worth having?

Post by runner540 » Sat May 04, 2019 8:17 am

Large portable serving dishes with lids (for potlucks, etc.)
Airpot for serving large amounts of hot coffee.
Humidifier for when you're sick.
Already said above, but a well stocked first aid and medicine kit, including thermometer. Ice packs in the freezer.
Sleeping bag for camps.

michaeljc70
Posts: 5331
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:53 pm

Re: Rarely used items that are worth having?

Post by michaeljc70 » Sat May 04, 2019 9:10 am

Tools. I don't mean a hammer, screwdriver and drill but less common things. When doing remodeling I used a lot of them regularly. Now I rarely use some of them (table saw, air compressor), but when I need to fix something or some project pops into my head it is nice to have them. Some I don't anticipate needing again like the flooring nailer for installing wood floors but it seems silly to just get rid of them when you have the space.

User avatar
Sandtrap
Posts: 8006
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi , N. Arizona

Re: Rarely used items that are worth having?

Post by Sandtrap » Sat May 04, 2019 9:44 am

Compact Mig or Flux core wire feed welding machine and the skill and tools to use it.
Image
Uses are endless.
Build steel barn, fix driveway gate hinge, fix BBQ lid handle, modify trailer, fix mower, . . . . .
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

surfstar
Posts: 1684
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:17 pm
Location: Santa Barbara, CA

Re: Rarely used items that are worth having?

Post by surfstar » Sat May 04, 2019 10:04 am

White Coat Investor wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 10:28 pm
surfstar wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 7:46 pm
#6 Black Diamond Camalot - don't usually bring it on trips, unless I think I'm going to need it and when you need it - it can literally be a life saver...

(its a piece of climbing protection FYI)
I feel the same way about a # 4. If I need a # 6, I'm clearly in the wrong place. :)

I did a canyon once that required two # 6s for aid unless you can free climb 11+ offwidth.

Here it is: https://www.canyoneeringusa.com/north-wash/sandthrax
#4 is perfect fists for me, so I don't mind that as much ;)

That sounds rough! 5.8 OW is too hard as is ... 11+, no thanks. Our last trip to Jtree, I did get to place me new BD #5 on a couple and a #6 on one route - despite the "easier" ratings, those two climbs were the hardest of the trip!

Post Reply