Kids fishing gear

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Kids fishing gear

Post by ThankYouJack » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:02 pm

My 6 year old loved fishing with some friends on a recent trip. Not sure if it'll last but I'm thinking about getting her some gear (hopefully not too expensive). Any recommendations?
Also, I don't have any interest in fishing myself but it would have fun spending the time with her. Any recommendations to make it as fun as possible?

barnaclebob

Re: Kids fishing gear

Post by barnaclebob » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:07 pm

At that age any cheap spin casting reel (the kind with the thumb button and a hole in the front where the line comes out) will do. They come in all kinds of themes, barbie, spider man, etc.

You are also looking at bobber or bottom fishing at that age. Where and what will you be fishing for?

Everything all in should be under $50, be sure to check local fishing regulations but its probably free for kids. They might still need a free license though.

From what I've seen most kids like catching and not fishing so be prepared for some short outings.

Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:16 pm

barnaclebob wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:07 pm
At that age any cheap spin casting reel (the kind with the thumb button and a hole in the front where the line comes out) will do. They come in all kinds of themes, barbie, spider man, etc.

You are also looking at bobber or bottom fishing at that age. Where and what will you be fishing for?

Everything all in should be under $50, be sure to check local fishing regulations but its probably free for kids. They might still need a free license though.

From what I've seen most kids like catching and not fishing so be prepared for some short outings.
Lake and some pond fishing. Not sure what's most common but I know the lake has bass, crappie, perch. She was super patient the first time (didn't catch anything) but not sure it'll last which is part of the reason I don't want to spend a lot. I'm also kind of a wimp with handling fish :)

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:17 pm

For my two girls, I just bought cheapo reels and pole encased in plastic with fishing line, bobber and hook already installed. All I had to do after unwrapping the plastic was add a worm and show them how to cast. I think I bought them for $20 at a farm and fleet store. They lasted until they were no longer interested in fishing. Now I fish alone again.

il0kin

Post by il0kin » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:18 pm

Get a Zebco 33 Micro Ultralight Combo. It is a spincast with smaller reel and shorter rod, much easier to handle for a smaller kid fishing for small fish such as sunfish. Should run you about $30 and is actually a decent reel. When I’m taking friends fishing, they get my tried and true full size Zebco 33.

You should be able to find a pre-made tackle kit for panfish/sunfish for under $10. A small hook with a bit of worm 2 feet under a bobber is a tried and true way to catch the 6 inch sunfish that are easy for kids to handle. Have fun!

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/zebco- ... lsrc=aw.ds

Vanguard Fan 1367

Post by Vanguard Fan 1367 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:33 pm

I like a Zebco push button reel with a rod combination at my local Wal Mart. Last time I bought one it was 10 bucks. It is nice because sometimes the rod gets dropped overboard and it is no great loss. The kids and I enjoy fishing with it.https://www.walmart.com/ip/Zebco-Quantu ... /857472206

dknightd

Post by dknightd » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:39 pm

The rod and reel do not really matter much. Good bait is what matters.
If you value a bird in the hand, pay off the loan. If you are willing to risk getting two birds (or none) from the market, invest the funds.

dknightd

Post by dknightd » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:45 pm

ThankYouJack wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:02 pm
My 6 year old loved fishing with some friends on a recent trip. Not sure if it'll last but I'm thinking about getting her some gear (hopefully not too expensive). Any recommendations?
Also, I don't have any interest in fishing myself but it would have fun spending the time with her. Any recommendations to make it as fun as possible?
Smile and be happy. Kids love that. Just enjoy the time together.
If you value a bird in the hand, pay off the loan. If you are willing to risk getting two birds (or none) from the market, invest the funds.

forgeblast

Post by forgeblast » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:28 am

If you have a dicks sporting goods or even a big lots they normally have some smaller poles that are very inexpensive.
I would (did) throw a bobber on the pole and let the kiddo practice casting all over the yard. (Remember to throw the bobber away because it will end up cracked). My daughter would spend a lot of time just practicing and is able to cast really well now. What is nice about kids fishing is that there are early mentored youth fishing days that let just the kids fish, we also have a state park that has a 16 and under pond that is heavily stocked and really well maintained to let the kids have some success.

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:09 am

ThankYouJack wrote:
I bought my son pflueger president and ugly stix combo. It is really good, and has held up pretty well. It gets used heavily, and he now wants to get a baitcaster! All of my reels are low end pflueger president (~39 on walmart when we bought them, they are currently showing out of stock. Its $49 elsewhere). Very happy with them.

JPH

Post by JPH » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:15 am

Zebco 33. I still use it.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt

jason1

Post by jason1 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:42 am

barnaclebob wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:07 pm

This is so true. When mine were that little they were excited about every 4 inch bluegill they caught. Now that they are 8 and 11 they have more patience to cast further out with bait or work a lure.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:49 am

If you have a pay to fish trout farm or any other kind of place where you're guaranteed to catch a fish, you may want to go there occassionally to keep the interest alive should you have limited success at the local pond. Its cheating a bit but as said, kids love to catch em!

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:56 am

We live between two ponds stocked with fish for catch and release. Our kids grew up fishing whenever they wanted to.
We never spent more than about $15 for children's kit of rod/reel/line/hooks/bobbers (at Academy as linked before only even more lower end). If they want to get serious they could save their allowances and buy something better. They never did.

Anybody telling you to spend more than $20 is a fanatic.

Now my son uses the good stuff, but he hasn't paid a dime for it nor owns any of it: When we go on a vacation to visit his uncle who co-owns a boat company and is a very avid fisherman (understatement), then we get to use very high quality gear.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Andyrunner

Post by Andyrunner » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:00 am

I'd say avoid the barbie cheapo fishing pole and get one for casting off a dock, I think the one we have is called ugly stick. Its the same size and just as easy to cast. They are maybe $15 dollars. It isn't as pretty as the barbie one but when the line becomes tangled you won't regret it.

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:40 am

ThankYouJack wrote:
I forgot to answer the second part: if you want guaranteed hits, make sure to carry some live baits. You can get night crawlers in WM. Usually you will catch a bunch of pan fish with live bait. Just hook them up, put a bobbler and watch for bobber to dip/move slightly and you have a hit. It is a bit disgusting to have to deal with worms.

Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Thu May 02, 2019 11:49 am

Thanks all. Went to Walmart and my daughter really liked like the Paw Patrol rod so went with it. Also got some bobs, hooks and bait. It came with a practice casting fish which she's had a lot of fun with.

Hoping to get out to the lake Saturday evening. Should be fun! :)

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Thu May 02, 2019 11:58 am

Awesome, let us know if she catches anything. If the pond has any bass, you should get a cheap rod for yourself to see if you can catch any "real" fish.

RollTide31457

Post by RollTide31457 » Thu May 02, 2019 2:07 pm

Fish hook on the bill of hat.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Thu May 02, 2019 4:55 pm

One of my grandsons had his birthday party at Bass Pro Shop, and honestly it was a big hit with the attendees, parents and kids. They fished with equipment provided by the store, in the man-made pond. That party might have made a couple of fishing enthusiasts out of the attendees.

Personally, I never had the patience for fishing. OTOH, my mother fished frequently in the canals that were on our citrus grove perimeters. I think her fishing events were just to have some quiet time for herself. She used a cane pole, in Florida at that time you didn't need a licence to fish with a cane pole.

If you have a Bass Pro Shop nearby, you could probably try out some equipment.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

TerryDMillerMBA

Post by TerryDMillerMBA » Thu May 02, 2019 4:59 pm

I still use the kinds of rod-and-reel combos mentioned in the thread.

I'm 51.

#ZebcoForever
#ShakespeareUglyStik

Isabelle77

Post by Isabelle77 » Thu May 02, 2019 5:03 pm

Any cheap rod will likely do at her age.

I never really understood fishing but my son got into it through scouts and at 12 is a pretty serious fly fisherman, he even spends hours making his own flys. He's a hyper kid but can spend hours on a river fishing or out on a boat. Some people I guess just find their zen there.

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » Fri May 03, 2019 6:39 am

Isabelle77 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 5:03 pm
Any cheap rod will likely do at her age.

I never really understood fishing but my son got into it through scouts and at 12 is a pretty serious fly fisherman, he even spends hours making his own flys. He's a hyper kid but can spend hours on a river fishing or out on a boat. Some people I guess just find their zen there.
My son is similar to yours, however hasn't tried fly fishing yet! He is high activity kid, but likes to spend hours with me casting. Does not get bored or hungry when he is out fishing.

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » Fri May 03, 2019 6:41 am

Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 4:55 pm
One of my grandsons had his birthday party at Bass Pro Shop, and honestly it was a big hit with the attendees, parents and kids. They fished with equipment provided by the store, in the man-made pond. That party might have made a couple of fishing enthusiasts out of the attendees.

Personally, I never had the patience for fishing. OTOH, my mother fished frequently in the canals that were on our citrus grove perimeters. I think her fishing events were just to have some quiet time for herself. She used a cane pole, in Florida at that time you didn't need a licence to fish with a cane pole.

If you have a Bass Pro Shop nearby, you could probably try out some equipment.

Broken Man 1999
I have to find that out, I didn't know BP had birthday parties at the store. When we go there its an event, we can easily spend 3-4 hours there.