At what point would you hire someone vs. cut down a tree yourself?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
tony5412

At what point would you hire someone vs. cut down a tree yourself?

Post by tony5412 »

I have a small tree (25 feet or so) that has been dead for a few years. It's near the road and split into three parts so I can probably get on a small ladder and cut down the two large branches. One branch has another large branch (already broken) that is sitting on top of it tho. Debating whether to try and tackle this myself or hire a tree service to remove. What would a boglehead do?

Also have another tree, a pine tree, that is good 50 feet tall. It's been dead for a year or so. I would definitely hire someone to do this one. Any harm in leaving a dead tree for awhile? I have plenty of other expenses (need driveway stone, roof, etc) so would prefer to put this off if possible.
P&C actuary

Re: At what point would you hire someone vs. cut down a tree yourself?

Post by P&C actuary »

If the tree falls down, can it hit any buildings, sheds, power lines, autos, etc.? If not, I would leave em standing.

When I have had to get trees trimmed or cut down that were within striking distance of the house, I have gotten 3 quotes. They can vary. Plus you get different opinions on what other work might be needed.
ohai

Post by ohai »

How much would it cost to hire someone to chop those trees? I don't know if they are dangerous, unless they are near your house or structures that could be fallen on..
Toons

Post by Toons »

25 feet I would do it myself,,I have recently.
50 ft?Hire.
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
dm200

Post by dm200 »

If the tree is more than two inches in diameter or so, always hire someone - who has all the insurance coverage (liability, workers comp, etc.)
open_circuit

Post by open_circuit »

At the start. I don't have any experience with this work, nor a chainsaw. I'm all for DIY, but if I can risk seriously damaging my property or losing my life, it's time to hire someone.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

It really depends on what it can damage if it goes the wrong way. But if you look up how to do the cuts so it hinges in the right way the risk is pretty low for smaller trees.

25ft is pretty small and you shouldn't even need a ladder, maybe a pole pruner could take the branches off. Or fell it first then cut it up.

I've taken down a 30ft tree using a bow saw with no problems. It was probably 6" in diameter. I didn't' need it but I tied a rope as high as I could and had my wife pull from the direction we wanted it to fall. Yes the rope was plenty long to avoid being in the fall zone.

I'd do a 50fter or up to about 9" in diameter if i had about 120 degrees of potential arc for it to fall without damaging anything. Anymore than that and you'd need a chainsaw which I dont have.

Big dead trees can be dangerous if they've rotted from the inside. When the initial front wedge is taken out the whole thing can crumble.
Last edited by barnaclebob on Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Have you operated a chainsaw before? Are you comfortable doing so? Do you have the necessary safety equipment? - gloves, eye goggles with face shield? Steel toed boots?

If no to any of the above, consider what would happen to you if you run into problems. I don’t tackle things where the risk of losing your own limbs as opposed to that of a tree is high.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
50/50

Post by 50/50 »

Ladders and chain saws don't mix well together. Also, I think cutting a dead tree is more dangerous than cutting a live one. If they must go hire it done.
Michael Patrick

Post by Michael Patrick »

Do you own a chainsaw? Do you have experience taking down trees? Are there any obstacles (power lines, structures)?

I own a chainsaw and have taken down lots of trees over the years, both in my yard and up at my cabin in the Northwoods. I just took down a large tree in my yard a couple of weeks ago, with the help of my two brothers.

I am comfortable working with a chainsaw and larger trees, so that would factor in to my decision. But that's me, if you aren't comfortable doing it, then go ahead and hire someone.
Topic Author
tony5412

Post by tony5412 »

ohai wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:37 pm How much would it cost to hire someone to chop those trees? I don't know if they are dangerous, unless they are near your house or structures that could be fallen on..
Not sure, haven't gotten any estimates. I'm guessing 400-500 for the smaller tree and have heard it can be quite expensive (1500+) the larger trees.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

dm200 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:39 pm If the tree is more than two inches in diameter or so, always hire someone - who has all the insurance coverage (liability, workers comp, etc.)
Two inches or twenty inches? I’ve cut down branches with diameters exceeding two inches with no issues other than it taking longer on account of using a manual saw. It’s when the circumference of the trunk is 16 inches+ that you know you are dealing with a more complex felling.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott »

Just let it stand as long as dead parts dropping out will not hit anything else. I would cut it myself unless it is leaning into a house or power line too much but I do regular chain saw work around the farm. FWIW, ladders and chain saws are a really dangerous combination!
mariezzz

Post by mariezzz »

If you're going to hire someone to do the 50 foot pine tree, the other tree will be relatively cheap. What's that cost?
In some areas, companies will go door to door & give you a cheaper deal since they're already in the neighborhood. But, be sure they're licensed/bonded for your area.

Years ago, a relative cut down a tree for a sibling. It hit the power line & pulled it down. So there are dangers to consider! I wouldn't cut down a tree over about 20 feet tall if the trunk was over 4-5 inches. Only do it if you have some experience.
All was fine (somehow - I guess power company got out there fast), and city code required the electric to be upgraded. Except for the deductible (which was $500), sibling got the upgrade paid for by homeowners insurance.
Last edited by mariezzz on Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

tony5412 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:45 pm
ohai wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:37 pm How much would it cost to hire someone to chop those trees? I don't know if they are dangerous, unless they are near your house or structures that could be fallen on..
Not sure, haven't gotten any estimates. I'm guessing 400-500 for the smaller tree and have heard it can be quite expensive (1500+) the larger trees.
I had a 21 inch maple taken down last summer, it was about 40 feet tall and cost me $1,800. I have a quote of $1,200 to take down a 15-17 inch 30 foot or so high tree this spring. The costs go up the more climbing is involved. The maple had a much larger wingspan with large branches.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I would have no qualms about doing a 25 ft tree myself in stages. I've even let such trees decay enough that I could push them over. And then once laying on the ground, I left them to rot away.

So I guess it would all depend on something else beside the height of this tree on whether I would do it myself.

I've had much bigger trees cut down for at most $400 cash.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
flamesabers

Post by flamesabers »

I think the first step would be to get some quotes on how much it would cost for a professional to do the job. If it's not too much for your budget, the simplest solution would be to let the experts take care of it I think. In addition to cutting down the trees/branches, they would probably also get rid of all of the dead wood. Since you already have a tree you would need the experts to cut down for you, you may as well have them take care of both trees at the same time.

Whenever I consider doing a DIY project around the house or yard, I ask myself questions like this:

1. Can I do it safely?

You mentioned the small tree being near a road. Is there a lot of traffic on this road? Is it possible when you cut down these branches that it might hit a vehicle driving by or a vehicle might run over the fallen branch? If so, do you have warning triangles or something to alert drivers to slow down and be cautious around the area?

Do you have the protective equipment and strength/stamina to complete the job?

2. How long will it take?

Do you have the patience and time to see this DIY project to the end even if things don't quite work out the first time around?

3. What about the cleanup?

What are you going to do with the dead wood once the job is done? Do you have a truck to haul it away or something?

As for leaving the dead tree as it is, the number one hazard that comes to mind is the tree falling over on someone or something, especially during a bad storm.
miamivice

Post by miamivice »

The average chainsaw injury results in approximately 110 stitches. Being a financial forum, the best suggestion is to call a doctor's office and get a price quote on the cost to apply 110 stitches on a chainsaw wound. Then compare to a tree company and get a price quote from them.

(While what is written above is slightly tongue in cheek, I do think about the risk of injury and the cost to recover from an injury before I take on a particular manual labor task.)

Keep in mind that chainsaws cut wood by "tearing" rather than cutting. They tear away about 1/4" wide amount of material in whatever they are cutting.
Topic Author
tony5412

Post by tony5412 »

Grt2bOutdoors wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:42 pm Have you operated a chainsaw before? Are you comfortable doing so? Do you have the necessary safety equipment? - gloves, eye goggles with face shield? Steel toed boots?

If no to any of the above, consider what would happen to you if you run into problems. I don’t tackle things where the risk of losing your own limbs as opposed to that of a tree is high.
Yes to all of the above.
TnGuy

Post by TnGuy »

"Money will not make you happy. And happy will not make you money." - Groucho Marx
Topic Author
tony5412

Post by tony5412 »

Grt2bOutdoors wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:46 pm
dm200 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:39 pm If the tree is more than two inches in diameter or so, always hire someone - who has all the insurance coverage (liability, workers comp, etc.)
Two inches or twenty inches? I’ve cut down branches with diameters exceeding two inches with no issues other than it taking longer on account of using a manual saw. It’s when the circumference of the trunk is 16 inches+ that you know you are dealing with a more complex felling.
These particular trees are approx 15 inches.
Watty

Post by Watty »

When I was a teenager I worked in a nursing home as a summer job. The residents were all elderly except for one buy that was in his 30's who was a quadraplegic. He had tried to save money by putting on his own roof but he had fallen off the roof and broke his back.

When it come to work involving risk I have never had a problem with paying someone who is trained for the work and has the right tools to do it.

tony5412 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:29 pm ...I can probably get on a small ladder and cut down the two large branches
A good rule I have seen several places is to never take a chainsaw off the ground.
tony5412 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:29 pm Any harm in leaving a dead tree for awhile?
If it damages something or hurts someone when it falls your insuance company will not pay the damages.

The reason is that it was a known hazard that you should have taken care of.
YttriumNitrate

Post by YttriumNitrate »

Spend $10-20 on a rope saw and you can safely cut down the dead branches yourself (have two people stand on opposite sides of branches).

Something like this is what I used to take down some rather large limbs.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Professional-H ... Sw5L5cthYU
Topic Author
tony5412

Post by tony5412 »

Mike Scott wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:47 pm Just let it stand as long as dead parts dropping out will not hit anything else.
Very unlikely that would happen
Mike Scott wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:47 pmI would cut it myself unless it is leaning into a house or power line too much but I do regular chain saw work around the farm. FWIW, ladders and chain saws are a really dangerous combination!
I wouldn't bother cutting the 50 foot pine myself. At this point, debating whether to hire someone to cut it or just leave it alone for now.

The more pressing issue is the 25 foot tree as couple of large branches hang low over the driveway and can get in the way of an oversized truck that might need to pull into the driveway. This could be an issue when I get the roof done and need a dumpster hauled in, for example. There is another large branch extending into another direction that can fall onto the road. If that is cut, there really is no danger if this this tree does happen to fall. It's not exactly aesthetic but I'm not really concerned about that anyway.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

It is rather amazing to watch people who are efficient in this area. Let someone else do it.
miamivice

Post by miamivice »

Watty wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:03 pm If it damages something or hurts someone when it falls your insuance company will not pay the damages.
I don't believe this is a correct statement. If indeed they deny coverage for trees that are dead, please provide a link or citation.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

2 inches?
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
Topic Author
tony5412

Post by tony5412 »

mariezzz wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:49 pm If you're going to hire someone to do the 50 foot pine tree, the other tree will be relatively cheap. What's that cost?
I have not gotten estimates yet. Debating whether to bother with the pine at this point or leave it for awhile longer.
mariezzz wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:49 pm Years ago, a relative cut down a tree for a sibling. It hit the power line & pulled it down. So there are dangers to consider! I wouldn't cut down a tree over about 20 feet tall if the trunk was over 4-5 inches. Only do it if you have some experience.
All was fine (somehow - I guess power company got out there fast), and city code required the electric to be upgraded. Except for the deductible (which was $500), sibling got the upgrade paid for by homeowners insurance.
There is a power line nearby but not close enough for the tree to fall on. If it were, I would call the utility company to request they cut it down. :)
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

Good excuse for a new chainsaw. Do it yourself as long as the neighbors aren't too close.
Last edited by TxAg on Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
tony5412

Post by tony5412 »

Grt2bOutdoors wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:51 pm
I had a 21 inch maple taken down last summer, it was about 40 feet tall and cost me $1,800. I have a quote of $1,200 to take down a 15-17 inch 30 foot or so high tree this spring. The costs go up the more climbing is involved. The maple had a much larger wingspan with large branches.
Thanks. Those numbers are similar to the numbers that I have researched.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Get an estimate. Depends upon where you live and how much trouble they have getting to it and taking it down. Cost around here would probably be $300 or less for both of those if easily accessible. LCOL area with lots of guys doing this kind of work though.

If you aren't comfortable with it at all (and it seems you aren't), I recommend hiring someone. If it were me, I would hire someone to take both down because (1) I personally hate pine trees and (2) there is no way to tell how much of the trunk has rotted inside and how unstable and unpredictable it may come down. I have had trees rot harmlessly from the top down, but I have also had a few come down unpredictably. I don't want my epitaph to read "Killed by a fallling tree (or branch) while mowing the grass."
Goal33

Post by Goal33 »

One risk of a dead tree is fire, right???
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Grt2bOutdoors wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:51 pm
Climbing? I haven't had anyone climb a tree here in >15 years. The guys who do our trees have a handy-dandy remote controlled bucket lift with treads. It is fun to watch them work it, and it makes quick work of large trees. There are undoubtedly some tight areas they can't get to with it though.
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

It depends on the age, we don’t do chainsaw and ladder anymore.
Topic Author
tony5412

Post by tony5412 »

flamesabers wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:54 pm 1. Can I do it safely?

You mentioned the small tree being near a road. Is there a lot of traffic on this road? Is it possible when you cut down these branches that it might hit a vehicle driving by or a vehicle might run over the fallen branch? If so, do you have warning triangles or something to alert drivers to slow down and be cautious around the area?

Do you have the patience and time to see this DIY project to the end even if things don't quite work out the first time around?

What are you going to do with the dead wood once the job is done? Do you have a truck to haul it away or something?
There is not much traffic. I do have protective equipment and stamina.

I would cut it up and use it as firewood. There are vines wrapped around this tree though, which can make this challenging though.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

The biggest risk of a dead tree is that it will fall on something. We had a 25 foot tree fall on a brand new cedar fence. It shattered the fence. There wasn’t a piece of cedar left that was over six inches long. No storm. No wind. The tree actually looked reasonably healthy at the time. It just fell over one night. If there’s anything within 50 feet of that 50 foot tree and the tree falls, whatever it falls on will be destroyed.

I have a friend who was out of their house for two years because a tree fell on it. Luckily nobody was hurt, but getting the house fixed was a pain.

I would get bids and have them both done at the same time. If you want it cut up for firewood, they can do that too. Not sure why you would want pine for firewood, though.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
Topic Author
tony5412

Post by tony5412 »

Watty wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:03 pm When I was a teenager I worked in a nursing home as a summer job. The residents were all elderly except for one buy that was in his 30's who was a quadraplegic. He had tried to save money by putting on his own roof but he had fallen off the roof and broke his back.

When it come to work involving risk I have never had a problem with paying someone who is trained for the work and has the right tools to do it.
Valid point
Watty wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:03 pm
tony5412 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:29 pm ...I can probably get on a small ladder and cut down the two large branches
A good rule I have seen several places is to never take a chainsaw off the ground.
I have used a chainsaw to cut pieces on the ground, but that is the extent of my experience. A bow saw could work although it would likely take awhile longer. That said, the branch may not fall straight down like it should, and being on a ladder is not a good place to be if it falls in the wrong direction!
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

tony5412 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:19 pm
flamesabers wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:54 pm 1. Can I do it safely?

There is not much traffic. I do have protective equipment and stamina.

I would cut it up and use it as firewood. There are vines wrapped around this tree though, which can make this challenging though.
IMHO - your posts clearly describe this is something you should hire out. Utilize your DIY motivation and skills for other tasks that are more familiar, that you have tools for ,and are safer.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

tony5412 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:09 pm
mariezzz wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:49 pm If you're going to hire someone to do the 50 foot pine tree, the other tree will be relatively cheap. What's that cost?
I have not gotten estimates yet. Debating whether to bother with the pine at this point or leave it for awhile longer.
mariezzz wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:49 pm Years ago, a relative cut down a tree for a sibling. It hit the power line & pulled it down. So there are dangers to consider! I wouldn't cut down a tree over about 20 feet tall if the trunk was over 4-5 inches. Only do it if you have some experience.
There is a power line nearby but not close enough for the tree to fall on. If it were, I would call the utility company to request they cut it down. :)
They won't cut it down. If there were dead branches at risk of bringing down the line, they'd cut off the dead branches (or live ones). But a tree, good luck with that, they won't.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
Topic Author
tony5412

Post by tony5412 »

YttriumNitrate wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:03 pm Spend $10-20 on a rope saw and you can safely cut down the dead branches yourself (have two people stand on opposite sides of branches).

Something like this is what I used to take down some rather large limbs.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Professional-H ... Sw5L5cthYU
Interesting!
Topic Author
tony5412

Post by tony5412 »

Doom&Gloom wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:11 pm Get an estimate. Depends upon where you live and how much trouble they have getting to it and taking it down. Cost around here would probably be $300 or less for both of those if easily accessible. LCOL area with lots of guys doing this kind of work though.

If you aren't comfortable with it at all (and it seems you aren't), I recommend hiring someone. If it were me, I would hire someone to take both down because (1) I personally hate pine trees and (2) there is no way to tell how much of the trunk has rotted inside and how unstable and unpredictable it may come down. I have had trees rot harmlessly from the top down, but I have also had a few come down unpredictably. I don't want my epitaph to read "Killed by a fallling tree (or branch) while mowing the grass."
Both trees are easily accessible.

I would definitely not cut down the 50 tree myself. I thought maybe give the 25 foot one a shot (or at least cut the branches hanging over the driveway) but perhaps that is not such a good idea as it would involve a ladder.
Topic Author
tony5412

Post by tony5412 »

quantAndHold wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:22 pm I would get bids and have them both done at the same time. If you want it cut up for firewood, they can do that too. Not sure why you would want pine for firewood, though.
I hate to spend the money since there are other projects I need to spend on (including roof/gutts), but this is the first time I have needed to cut down trees since I bought the place so perhaps I have lucked out until this point. Pine doesn't make good firewood, eh?
Topic Author
tony5412

Post by tony5412 »

RickBoglehead wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:26 pm They won't cut it down. If there were dead branches at risk of bringing down the line, they'd cut off the dead branches (or live ones). But a tree, good luck with that, they won't.
I saw this suggestion thrown around while researchind, and figured that would be too good to be true.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

tony5412 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:42 pm
quantAndHold wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:22 pm I would get bids and have them both done at the same time. If you want it cut up for firewood, they can do that too. Not sure why you would want pine for firewood, though.
I hate to spend the money since there are other projects I need to spend on (including roof/gutts), but this is the first time I have needed to cut down trees since I bought the place so perhaps I have lucked out until this point. Pine doesn't make good firewood, eh?
Depending on the details and circumstances, sometimes folks with a chain saw (and who know how to use it safely) will cut down a tree for the firewood.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

tony5412 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:42 pm
Pine is good kindling, and fine for outdoor fires, but it burns quickly and will leave a lot of creosote in your chimney. At best, you’ll need to have the chimney cleaned more often than normal. At worst, the creosote is a common source of chimney fires.

When the oak tree fell down, the tree company cut it up for firewood and stacked it neatly for us, for the same price they would have charged to haul it away. If it were pine, I would have just got them to haul it away.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
pdavi21

Post by pdavi21 »

Buy a cheap chainsaw and a polesaw. Tie it off with rope so it falls the way you want it to.
"We spend a great deal of time studying history, which, let's face it, is mostly the history of stupidity." -Stephen Hawking
miamivice

Post by miamivice »

pdavi21 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:11 pm Buy a cheap chainsaw and a polesaw. Tie it off with rope so it falls the way you want it to.
I am curious how many 15" diameter trees you successfully made fall the direction you wanted by tying a rope to it?
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

Call a tree service or 5. We had a dead tree near the house that came down during a storm and damaged our deck. I found a place that took that one and two other trees for $750.

I thought it was going to be at least $2,500.

JT
pdavi21

Post by pdavi21 »

miamivice wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:21 pm
pdavi21 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:11 pm Buy a cheap chainsaw and a polesaw. Tie it off with rope so it falls the way you want it to.
I am curious how many 15" diameter trees you successfully made fall the direction you wanted by tying a rope to it?
4. It works. I used dollar store rope on a smaller one. If someone was scared, I suppose they could use steel cable and a ratchet.

EDIT: Out of curiosity, in what scenario are you suggesting it won't work?
Last edited by pdavi21 on Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We spend a great deal of time studying history, which, let's face it, is mostly the history of stupidity." -Stephen Hawking