Boston area - nice towns for families

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Jack FFR1846

Re: Boston area - nice towns for families

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:35 am

Johnfmh wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:22 am
One key take-away from this thread is that there are many decent towns for families in the Boston area. Some complain about Massachusetts being a high tax state but the taxes are nowhere near as high as certain New York or California towns and with MA, you get what you pay for: decent schools and public services for the money! Public higher education also is admirable. Umass Amherst has risen quite a few notches on most rankings and is expanding with a satellite campus in Newton. Traffic can be a pain but it’s no different from many other metro areas across the country. Enjoy your move. You’ll love it wherever you end up.
I think a lot of the "high tax state" comes from the nick name Taxachusetts, rather than reality. Look at the actual taxes and what they're on. There is no tax on food or clothing, sales tax is 6.25%, income tax about 5%. Property tax varies by town and high priced towns have lower rates in general (Newton is about 1% while Hopkinton is 1.7%). Schools are funded by both local property tax AND state funded. New schools are heavily funded by the state and property tax increases are limited (like California) where big projects requiring taxes above the limits have to be voted in and then those increases are used only for a specific project. We actually had to wait about 3 years before voters would approve funding to fix the roof on one of our schools some years ago. Mass is rated 19 in overall tax burden. https://wallethub.com/edu/t/states-with ... den/20494/
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:09 am

JoeRetire wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:05 pm
Cycle wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:01 am
I would look within a 1 mile radius of work (walkable), and exclude everything outside that ring. Might consider within 5 miles if there was a substantial cost savings.
That's a pretty tough standard in the Boston area.
In many parts, it's completely impossible.
I find this impossible to believe, tell me the worst address and ill find you a home that sold recently within 5 miles. It won't have a three car garage tho...

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:22 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:35 am
Johnfmh wrote:
One key take-away from this thread is that there are many decent towns for families in the Boston area. Some complain about Massachusetts being a high tax state but the taxes are nowhere near as high as certain New York or California towns and with MA, you get what you pay for: decent schools and public services for the money! Public higher education also is admirable. Umass Amherst has risen quite a few notches on most rankings and is expanding with a satellite campus in Newton. Traffic can be a pain but it’s no different from many other metro areas across the country. Enjoy your move. You’ll love it wherever you end up.
I think a lot of the "high tax state" comes from the nick name Taxachusetts, rather than reality. Look at the actual taxes and what they're on. There is no tax on food or clothing, sales tax is 6.25%, income tax about 5%. Property tax varies by town and high priced towns have lower rates in general (Newton is about 1% while Hopkinton is 1.7%). Schools are funded by both local property tax AND state funded. New schools are heavily funded by the state and property tax increases are limited (like California) where big projects requiring taxes above the limits have to be voted in and then those increases are used only for a specific project. We actually had to wait about 3 years before voters would approve funding to fix the roof on one of our schools some years ago. Mass is rated 19 in overall tax burden. https://wallethub.com/edu/t/states-with ... den/20494/
Shoes and clothing *are* taxed in Massachusetts, except for the first $175 per item.
That means that clothing/shoes for lower cost items, and especially for children's clothing, are not taxed.

But there are plenty of clothing and shoe items that cost more than $175, especially for adults... think winter coats, business suits, etc.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Small Law Survivor

Post by Small Law Survivor » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:39 am

We live in Dover, and I grew up in Newton, so I know the area quite well. I went to Newton schools, my daughter went to Dover schools (Dover/Sherborn high school).

Newton is very expensive, and I'm not sure it's worth it. I would recommend Westwood or Medfield (Dover is bordered by both). These are really nice towns, and the commute to Newton will not be difficult from there.

If you like to have a lot of land, Dover is a reasonable choice, since most of the town is 1-2 acre lots (or more). It has a very rural feel due to the conservation land.
67 yrs, semi-retired lawyer, 50/40/10 s/b/c, 70/30 dom/int'l. Plan:4% until age 70, 3% when social security kicks in. Boglehead since day 1 under diff names

Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:53 am

When you are close to a decision, test the commute in both morning and afternoon rush hour, and in bad weather. Also, check the parking situation at work before you accept the job offer.

I lived in Marlborough (near the Sudbury border) and worked in Watertown. We liked the area and had a nice home on a large lot. But, the commute was terrible. I eventually threw in the towel and moved back to where I grew up. The fastest I ever got to work was 45 minutes. A typical day was 1 hour. If it rained - 75 minutes. Snow - 90 minutes.

I had a reserved parking spot at the office, but I was only allowed to use it from 0800 - 1800 as it was shared with someone who lived in a nearby apartment. I liked to get to work early. If the apartment dweller's car was there, I would have to park at a meter, then run out an hour or 2 later and move the car. This was an incredible hassle especially given the bad weather in the Boston area.

Life is too short to be spending 2+ hours per day in the car.

ubermax

Post by ubermax » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:08 pm

Small Law Survivor wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:39 am
We live in Dover, and I grew up in Newton, so I know the area quite well. I went to Newton schools, my daughter went to Dover schools (Dover/Sherborn high school).

Newton is very expensive, and I'm not sure it's worth it. I would recommend Westwood or Medfield (Dover is bordered by both). These are really nice towns, and the commute to Newton will not be difficult from there.

If you like to have a lot of land, Dover is a reasonable choice, since most of the town is 1-2 acre lots (or more). It has a very rural feel due to the conservation land.
Saying Dover is a reasonable choice is relative and dependent on how deep the buyers pockets are ; just plugged in 3+bds , 3+ baths and a price range of 900K to a Mil on realtor.com for Dover , 3 hits , from 1Mil to 1.5Mil got 15 hits - the upper end of the OP's range was 900K ; but you're right Newton is also expensive and the lots tend to be smaller but closeness to Boston is a plus for many people .

Sounds like the OP has some time to sort this all out which is good :happy

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:09 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:35 am
Johnfmh wrote:
Dont forget that when you retire, both Social Security and any state/town pension are state income tax free, AND lower income seniors get property tax breaks. And our gas taxes are lower than average.

Taxachusetts really is an outdated concept that needs to be forgotten.

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:17 pm

Cycle wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:09 am
JoeRetire wrote:
Cycle wrote:
I would look within a 1 mile radius of work (walkable), and exclude everything outside that ring. Might consider within 5 miles if there was a substantial cost savings.
I find this impossible to believe, tell me the worst address and ill find you a home that sold recently within 5 miles. It won't have a three car garage tho...
I guess you dont live in Mass..... The most booming job areas right now are all downtown. If you work in tech everything is going to the seaport district. High rise condo prices down there start over 500k just for for studios. A 3 bed is millions (plural). Sorry, but that's not affordable even on a 6 figure tech salary....

To buy under 1MM going west of the city you have to either live in a shack or look outside of Rt.128 (I-95 belt) and that means an hour+ commute if you work downtown.

I'm lucky to both live AND work between 128 and 495 where prices are high, but not insane....

Ged

Post by Ged » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:23 pm

Latestarter wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:18 am
aspirit wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:56 pm

It’s unfortunate how children’s comfort surpasses realistic pragmatism these days. 8-)
I would reframe this and reverse the conclusion: What's really unfortunate is that relentless achievement pressure surpasses concern for children's emotional health and interest in learning.
It's a world wide economy out there. Much of America's education system is not competitive. Massachusetts is an exception to that.

simplesimon

Post by simplesimon » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:25 pm

jharkin wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:17 pm
Cycle wrote:
JoeRetire wrote:
Cycle wrote:
I guess you dont live in Mass..... The most booming job areas right now are all downtown. If you work in tech everything is going to the seaport district. High rise condo prices down there start over 500k just for for studios. A 3 bed is millions (plural). Sorry, but that's not affordable even on a 6 figure tech salary....

To buy under 1MM going west of the city you have to either live in a shack or look outside of Rt.128 (I-95 belt) and that means an hour+ commute if you work downtown.

I'm lucky to both live AND work between 128 and 495 where prices are high, but not insane....
+1. I work in downtown and am looking to limit my door-to-door commute to an hour and am having a tough time with search criteria and budget similar to OP's.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:41 pm

jharkin wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:09 pm
Dont forget that when you retire, both Social Security and any state/town pension are state income tax free, AND lower income seniors get property tax breaks. And our gas taxes are lower than average.
On the other hand, estate taxes in Massachusetts can be significant. And I think the property tax breaks are dependent on the town.
Agreed. Is just lazy stereotyping.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:44 pm

jharkin wrote:
That's really the key in the Boston area (and perhaps near other large cities as well).

Massachusetts has lots of high-tech pockets between 128 and 495. The commute might still be bad, but not as bad as Boston. And the housing is certainly far more reasonable than Boston proper.

FWIW, I worked hard my entire career to never take a job that required commuting into Boston. It was tempting a few times, but never quite that tempting. I did work in Cambridge a few times...

272 Sheep

Post by 272 Sheep » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:06 pm

Check out Ipswich. Small town on the ocean. Good schools. Its got Crane Beach and nature reserve.
Boston & Maine R.R. stops there -28 miles from Boston.

Wellfleet

Post by Wellfleet » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:12 pm

272 Sheep wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:06 pm
Check out Ipswich. Small town on the ocean. Good schools. Its got Crane Beach and nature reserve.
Respectfully, Ipswich would be about the last recommendation I would make. 40 miles away.

Within five miles, Dedham or Waltham for a single family home and average (for MA) schools. Other than that, a condo in Newton would be the best option.

Wellfleet

Post by Wellfleet » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:22 pm

simplesimon wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:25 pm

+1. I work in downtown and am looking to limit my door-to-door commute to an hour and am having a tough time with search criteria and budget similar to OP's.
Not to hijack this thread but have you looked at locations near the commuter rail? I'm aware of towns on most of the lines that fit your needs with a 30 minute train ride and 15 minutes on either side.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:25 pm

Wellfleet wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:12 pm
272 Sheep wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:06 pm
Respectfully, Ipswich would be about the last recommendation I would make. 40 miles away.

Within five miles, Dedham or Waltham for a single family home and average (for MA) schools. Other than that, a condo in Newton would be the best option.
Right.
I think Sheep missed the part about getting to Newton on 128 for work each day...
Attempted new signature...

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:30 pm

JoeRetire wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:41 pm
jharkin wrote:
On the other hand, estate taxes in Massachusetts can be significant. And I think the property tax breaks are dependent on the town.
In general I agree. However, Massachusetts does have a state estate tax for estates over $1MM which does make it one of the more unfriendly states from that perspective.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:44 pm

bluebolt wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:30 pm
...Massachusetts does have a state estate tax for estates over $1MM which does make it one of the more unfriendly states from that perspective.
It’s a great place to live, but not a great place to die :(
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

Topic Author
Isabelle77

Post by Isabelle77 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:00 pm

Wow! Thanks everyone. I appreciate your posts, your private messages, you've all been really great. So my husband informs me that the office address is actually north Needham not Newton Highlands (that's what it looked like to me on the map!) but I guess it isn't much of a difference. He's headed out there this week and will spend some time driving around to get an initial idea, but he'll be in housing in Needham until the summer anyway.

We've spent some time discussing and we would prefer a more rural area over a more urban one. I have family in the area so I know a little, given that and your advice, I think we will start our search in Westwood, South Natick, Medfield, Dover/Sherborn, and maybe a little south to Norfolk. I like the looks of Holliston and Hopkinton but I think they're a little too far to commute. We realize that we may need to increase our budget and we can do that if necessary.

I know that Needham, Newton, Lexington, Brookline, etc. have excellent school systems but I don't think they're what we're looking for and we can't really afford them anyway.

Someone asked if I grew up in the NE, no I didn't but my parents are from Hartford and Providence, so I spent many summers in New England with my grandparents. My husband and I also lived in NYC for 5yrs so we're not entirely new to the east coast. We are looking forward to the move, great schools and beautiful towns with proximity to Boston will be fabulous.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:28 pm

bluebolt wrote:
JoeRetire wrote:
jharkin wrote:
In general I agree. However, Massachusetts does have a state estate tax for estates over $1MM which does make it one of the more unfriendly states from that perspective.
That's why I wrote "On the other hand, estate taxes in Massachusetts can be significant. "

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:32 pm

Isabelle77 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:00 pm
We are looking forward to the move, great schools and beautiful towns with proximity to Boston will be fabulous.
If you like all four seasons, New England is a terrific place to be.

You will be within driving distance of pretty much anything you could want.

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:57 pm

JoeRetire wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:28 pm
bluebolt wrote:
JoeRetire wrote:
jharkin wrote:
That's why I wrote "On the other hand, estate taxes in Massachusetts can be significant. "
Ha! I read the quoted version where I missed that part.

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:06 pm

simplesimon wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:25 pm
jharkin wrote:
Cycle wrote:
JoeRetire wrote:
Cycle wrote:

Here are my assumptions:
1) works downtown at Wayfair near Copley Place
2) Can afford median sale price, which is 630k
3) Willing to bike commute 5 miles (or run commute, which is my new thing)

Property found in Highland park:
$499k - 3br/2ba - 1322 sqft- high school .2 miles away, O'Bryant School Math/Science 8/10 great schools rating
Distance to Work: 2.3 miles, 3.6 miles to convention center
https://www.redfin.com/MA/Boston/19-Nor ... rks-scroll
19-21 NORFOLK St #2
Boston, MA 02119

There is no parking OMG (henry ford sheds a tear)!!! what in the world could one possibly do! There is street parking or an enterprise car rental 1.3 miles away for weekend trips.

There are actually hundreds of properties that meet the criteria, but I just picked the closest one.

teamDE

Post by teamDE » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:29 pm

^you'd simply take the orange line in that case. No need to assume this person will ride a bike or run to work every day. lol

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:09 pm

Isabelle77 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:00 pm
So my husband informs me that the office address is actually north Needham not Newton Highlands (that's what it looked like to me on the map!) but I guess it isn't much of a difference.
If on the west side of 128, boy....I'd look in south Natick and Medfield, myself. Nice commute distance and on back roads, staying off 109 and 135, it might avoid some of the stop and go. In the morning, all roads heading towards Boston get jammed. Between locals all knowing the short cuts and google maps updating, even then, it can be stop and go.

Let me just chuckle a bit about the $175 limit on no tax clothes and shoes. The only shoes I've ever paid that much for were ski boots. The last Brooks Brothers suit I bought (during their annual sale) was under as well.

simplesimon

Post by simplesimon » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:39 am

Cycle wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:06 pm
Here are my assumptions:

$499k - 3br/2ba - 1322 sqft- high school .2 miles away, O'Bryant School Math/Science 8/10 great schools rating
19-21 NORFOLK St #2
Boston, MA 02119

There is no parking OMG (henry ford sheds a tear)!!! what in the world could one possibly do! There is street parking or an enterprise car rental 1.3 miles away for weekend trips.

There are actually hundreds of properties that meet the criteria, but I just picked the closest one.
You'll want to take a closer look at that school as admissions is via invite after taking an entrance exam. All the good public schools in Boston are like that. If your kid doesn't get in do you settle for the regular high school or go the private route?

Also would need to take a closer look at crime statistics in those areas.

Where do you live?

ccf

Post by ccf » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:19 am

Hockey10 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:53 am
When you are close to a decision, test the commute in both morning and afternoon rush hour, and in bad weather. Also, check the parking situation at work before you accept the job offer.

I lived in Marlborough (near the Sudbury border) and worked in Watertown. We liked the area and had a nice home on a large lot. But, the commute was terrible. I eventually threw in the towel and moved back to where I grew up. The fastest I ever got to work was 45 minutes. A typical day was 1 hour. If it rained - 75 minutes. Snow - 90 minutes.
I did the same commute in the opposite direction. It was much better but I also eventually had to find a new job because of the commute. Anyway - I second this - if I were commuting from west of Needham to Needham, I think that my limit would probably be a 20 minute commute in good weather. Depending on the town and what roads you travel it could be okay, like Jack FFR1846 said, but I don't expect that a westerly commute toward Boston will be a pleasant time to mentally prepare or unwind from the workday and listen to the radio. You are lucky that you have a budget that won't require a long commute if you don't want one.

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:05 pm

simplesimon wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:39 am
Cycle wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:06 pm
Here are my assumptions:

19-21 NORFOLK St #2
Boston, MA 02119

You'll want to take a closer look at that school as admissions is via invite after taking an entrance exam. All the good public schools in Boston are like that. If your kid doesn't get in do you settle for the regular high school or go the private route?

Also would need to take a closer look at crime statistics in those areas.

Where do you live?
South Minneapolis

I provided a property near downtown Boston that met the affordability criteria. The point of it being impossible to find a property is preposterous, but as you indicate there are trade-offs.

One just needs to pick what is important to them and live with the downsides.

In many cases a sedentary long commute is the downside. In my case it's that I have to breathe in fumes on my jog to work, and schools aren't great.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:24 pm

Cycle wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:05 pm

South Minneapolis

I provided a property near downtown Boston that met the affordability criteria. The point of it being impossible to find a property is preposterous, but as you indicate there are trade-offs.

In many cases a sedentary long commute is the downside. In my case it's that I have to breathe in fumes on my jog to work, and schools aren't great.
You certainly did find an affordable dwelling. A 100 year old, tiny, very city condo with a $300/mo HOA fee in a bad school district and questionable neighborhood. Why someone would want to live in JP and commute to Needham is beyond me. The OP's DH isn't working in Boston. So living there doesn't help his commute. City streets between JP and around Highland/128 is not going to be free anytime. Heck....go drive Highland right now east of 128 and tell me how open it is.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/22-H ... 6547_zpid/

Half acre in Medfield, on 109, with 2k sq feet and a garage. Built in 1972 with some additions to the ranch. $585 asking. Well within the OP's budget. Others that are nicer exist as well. Zillow is my friend.

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:52 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:24 pm
Cycle wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:05 pm

South Minneapolis

You certainly did find an affordable dwelling. A 100 year old, tiny, very city condo with a $300/mo HOA fee in a bad school district and questionable neighborhood. Why someone would want to live in JP and commute to Needham is beyond me. The OP's DH isn't working in Boston. So living there doesn't help his commute. City streets between JP and around Highland/128 is not going to be free anytime. Heck....go drive Highland right now east of 128 and tell me how open it is.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/22-H ... 6547_zpid/

Half acre in Medfield, on 109, with 2k sq feet and a garage. Built in 1972 with some additions to the ranch. $585 asking. Well within the OP's budget. Others that are nicer exist as well. Zillow is my friend.
Geeze, if u think that place is bad you should see where I live. I paid 95k for my half of the 95 year old duplex I own. Our schools are all 1/10, 1 being bad. 2br/1ba 1050sqft for my wife and baby.

A gas station worker was randomly murdered on his walk home from work in our alley three blocks up and as far as I know the murder is still unsolved.

We love our unit, but we aren't hoarders so additional space isn't needed until kid(s) are larger.

Anyways I was just replying to a post that said it's impossible to find a property near downtown Boston, and I found hundreds of sold properties within 5 miles that had 3br for a reasonable price. These aren't helpful specifically to OP.