Luxury car recommendations?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
8foot7

Re: Luxury car recommendations?

Post by 8foot7 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:53 pm

stan1 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:58 pm
AQ wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:20 pm
We're lifelong savers. With some luck we're doing relatively fine financially. So we'd like to live a bit more. In the past we usually buy a brand new Camry or like, and run for 10 years and repeat. Now we are wondering if we should try a Lexus or something similar?

Some background info: We are certainly not a car enthusiastic; when we had some extra money, besides saving for our retirements, we usually spent it on experiences (travels, etc.), help others (charity, extended family, etc.) or sometimes buy a bit higher quality clothing, etc. So we kind of look to buy a low end luxury car, with no specific criteria in mind, to experience it a bit. Hope you got the idea :D As you see, we are not in a rush to get anything; so if you know something on sale, or will be, that info is also appreciated.
Seems like you might be happy with a Camry XLE (or if you wanted better acceleration a Camry V6 XLE).
In what way is a Camry a luxury car?

8foot7

Post by 8foot7 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:56 pm

rgs92 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:12 am
2013-2017 pre-owned (preferably CPO) Lexus LS. Lots of them on sale now at bargain prices. Drives/rides like a dream w/Camry reliability.

I would get a CPO w/Lexus extended warranty (good for 7 years from the time you buy it and it's a full extension of the new car warranty; best warranty in the business; unlimited mileage!; better than the new car warranty even though it makes no sense, but it's true).

You'll need the warranty later on in high-mileage days when the control arms need to be replaced (and there are 8 of them, but they are worth it).

This vintage is better than the new one which gets by with a V6 and is more confined inside.

The ES is OK, the GS is better, but the LS is in a class by itself, and the last generation may be the end of an era for this great revered car dating back to 1989. Snatch one with low mileage while you still can.
+1.

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:02 pm

I did the same, buying new but “regular” cars all my life. When it came close to retirement time, my wife and I decided to splurge and bought new luxury cars. I got an Acura TL with awd, and my wife got a BMW X1. We both are very happy with the cars. Was it worth the extra many thousands? Probably not, but no regrets.
The obvious boglehead response would be to buy a 2 or 3 yo luxury car. I hear good things about the Hyundai Genesis, no personal experience.

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:26 pm

I like to quietness of the Lexus cabine because I like to listen to CDs while I am driving. My wife said that for old man or a cruise ship. But I am that old yet. She refuse the Lexus LS because it is an old man's car.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:57 pm

mrspock wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:14 pm
IMO you aren’t missing anything. I had a Benz for many years and it was honestly the worst car I’ve ever had. Within a week you will tire of the do-dads and nick-knacks (which all cost a fortune to fix). Buy a Volkswagen to get some higher build quality without the gimmicks and be done IMO.

I would also caution you in that luxury cars are hard to keep for 8 or 10 years unless you are ok with various things breaking and just leaving them for dead. It’s pretty difficult/draining to keep up with all the repairs after a while.

TLDR... stick with MASS produced (non-luxury) cars where their reliability incentives are aligned with yours.
The above experience can be said of almost any brand, luxury or not. I had a Volkswagen and only had problems with it. Not only did nick-knacks stop working the but the car frequently broke down. Couldn’t wait to get rid of it.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:08 pm

8foot7 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:53 pm
stan1 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:58 pm
AQ wrote:
We're lifelong savers. With some luck we're doing relatively fine financially. So we'd like to live a bit more. In the past we usually buy a brand new Camry or like, and run for 10 years and repeat. Now we are wondering if we should try a Lexus or something similar?

Some background info: We are certainly not a car enthusiastic; when we had some extra money, besides saving for our retirements, we usually spent it on experiences (travels, etc.), help others (charity, extended family, etc.) or sometimes buy a bit higher quality clothing, etc. So we kind of look to buy a low end luxury car, with no specific criteria in mind, to experience it a bit. Hope you got the idea :D As you see, we are not in a rush to get anything; so if you know something on sale, or will be, that info is also appreciated.
Seems like you might be happy with a Camry XLE (or if you wanted better acceleration a Camry V6 XLE).
In what way is a Camry a luxury car?
To me it is not, but if someone is happy driving a 10 year old cloth 4 cylinder Camry they should look closely at a current XLE V6 with modern safety features, navigation, leather, etc. It would be a big bump up from what they have and maybe they'd find the Lexus ES offers little additional value other than a logo with more status.

dbr

Post by dbr » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:45 pm

stan1 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:08 pm

To me it is not, but if someone is happy driving a 10 year old cloth 4 cylinder Camry they should look closely at a current XLE V6 with modern safety features, navigation, leather, etc. It would be a big bump up from what they have and maybe they'd find the Lexus ES offers little additional value other than a logo with more status.
This is valid. For many people what was an image of luxury is now standard, at least in the higher trim classes of "not-luxury" cars. I think a person has to go out and look around.

nvambith

Post by nvambith » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:54 pm

I am not really a car guy, but had researched luxury cars when buying my last car. I realized that I could stomach shelling out a ton of money once, but could not stomach spending on premium gas and expensive repairs every time. So, definitely think through that emotional axis.
If you are basically a frugal sort, sticking with a regular car might be what actually feels best to you.

UALflyer

Post by UALflyer » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:41 pm

rgs92 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:12 am
I would get a CPO w/Lexus extended warranty (good for 7 years from the time you buy it and it's a full extension of the new car warranty; best warranty in the business; unlimited mileage!; better than the new car warranty even though it makes no sense, but it's true).
It is absolutely not true. Lexus' certified extended warranty is a named components warranty, which is significantly more limited than Lexus's exclusionary warranty offered on brand new vehicles. Here's Lexus' brochure detailing the warranty terms and exclusions: https://media-cf.assets-cdk.com/teams/r ... def087.pdf
Last edited by UALflyer on Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

mighty72

Post by mighty72 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:16 pm

dbr wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:45 pm
stan1 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:08 pm

This is valid. For many people what was an image of luxury is now standard, at least in the higher trim classes of "not-luxury" cars. I think a person has to go out and look around.
I was driving behind an ES today and till I noticed the Lexus sign, it looked exactly like my Camry.

ram

Post by ram » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:17 pm

AQ wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:38 pm
Thanks much for your responses so far! Let me clarify a few common questions.

It may sound crazy but I'm considering to spend a bit more on cars because I'm fortunate in a position to be able to, not because I really care about cars :-) So I'm looking for some amenity like leather seats, quieter runs, comfort, instead of spottiness, etc. I'm inclined to buy a brand new and run 10 years like before (so minimize the chance to get a lemon car and worry about repairs, etc.). I have been paying under 30K for new cars, so I think under 40K would be a decent move-up, but can go for under 50K (don't laugh if I'm totally ignorant of a luxury car price). The rumor has it German cars have steep maintenance costs; and I'm certainly not going to spend six-figure on a car yet..

Is there any seasonality in car prices? For example, dealerships usually have sales during holidays, is one holiday, say July 4th, better than another, say Labor day?
I went from Camry/Accord to Avalon to 3 year old Lexus LS (all <=40K).
I suggest you try Avalon, Lexus ES and Lexus RX (SUV) if you want brand new.
Lexus LS new will be >80K but about half of that after 3 to 4 years.
Lexus will only be slightly more costly than Toyota to maintain. German cars will be more costly to maintain.
Genesis is a brand that is relatively cheap for the level of luxury that it provides. I have only test driven these.
viewtopic.php?t=146906
Ram

mrspock

Post by mrspock » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:28 pm

randomguy wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:51 pm
That is more of a Mercedes experience than a luxury car one.
If only it didn't cost $60-70k to test your hypothesis :D , I've heard similar from BMW owners FWIW, and Acura/Lexus just feel too cheap to me vs. German brands.

My reasoning has a bit more basis than simply my experience with Benz though: When you make 10k or 100k (Porche, or Audi) of something and 10M of something else (Passat or Golf), you can really goof up on the 10k or 100k cars and be ok. If they goof the gadgets in the $60k cars....who cares, you just annoy a few rich people. Do it on the Passat or Golf? You are going to have to restate earnings, or risk bankruptcy (*cough* VW emissions scandal *cough*). It gives me comfort that incentives around quality are highly aligned with the mass market cars.

eddot98

Post by eddot98 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:52 pm

We had the same urge and just upgraded from a 2011 Camry XLE V6 With all the options available at the time, most notably a sunroof, a backup camera, and an in dash GPS (145,000 miles) to a 2016 Lexus es350 with every option available except the Mark Levinson stereo (24,000 miles). The Lexus was $26,500 and we got $4500 for the Camry. The Lexus is bigger, heavier, and smoother, but it gets the same mileage as the Camry on regular unleaded gas. Our insurance went up $100 for the remaining 6 months on the policy period. We have had it a month and are still learning the ins and outs of the controls. There’s lots of things that aren’t really necessary, but all the safety options that weren’t available in 2011 are very impressive. Yeah, one could get them all on a 2019 Camry XLE, but that would be $35,000 or more. At $26,500 that is about $8,000 more than we ever paid for a car.

CoAndy

Post by CoAndy » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:05 am

helloeveryone wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:24 pm
AQ wrote:

Toyota Avalon would be living it up compared to Camry. If you really want to go nuts then maybe Lexus ES350.
I agree. I think the Lexus ES350 would be a fantastic choice.

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:26 am

Do you know what would be the best part? The process of deciding what you want. You have the money and you are not pressed to buy. Go and test drive as many cars as you can within your budget. Once you have short listed them, ask about specific cars. Understand that once you actually make the purchase, you no longer have the luxury of finding the "best car" as that would water under the bridge. So do take your time and enjoy the process.

Don't rule out anything even those pesky Teslas but drive them after you have driven all other cars first.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:57 am

mrspock wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:28 pm
randomguy wrote:
If only it didn't cost $60-70k to test your hypothesis :D , I've heard similar from BMW owners FWIW, and Acura/Lexus just feel too cheap to me vs. German brands.

My reasoning has a bit more basis than simply my experience with Benz though: When you make 10k or 100k (Porche, or Audi) of something and 10M of something else (Passat or Golf), you can really goof up on the 10k or 100k cars and be ok. If they goof the gadgets in the $60k cars....who cares, you just annoy a few rich people. Do it on the Passat or Golf? You are going to have to restate earnings, or risk bankruptcy (*cough* VW emissions scandal *cough*). It gives me comfort that incentives around quality are highly aligned with the mass market cars.
You would think that but your wrong:). Seriously look at the reliability of VW, Jeep, dodge, Ford,FIAT, and Chrysler:) Sure they aren't all Land Rover bad, but some are close while making millions of cars. The part that saves a lot of them is that parts/labor are cheaper. Spend 1k to fix your jeep is one thing. Spend 8k to fix the same problem in your BMW is another.

A lot of companies just don't care about reliability and are able to sell their product without it. Some companies try and have failures. Others make it job 1. And yes you can say things like an LS aren't a luxury car if you want. Most people would disagree with you:)

And obviously reliability is a guessing game. Early 00s Audi was horrible. Late 10s Audi has been good. Who the heck knows what the car you buy today will be like. I can't wait to sell how all these electronic components are doing in 15 years and how easy it is to fix any of them.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:37 am

ssquared87 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:08 pm
The Lexus ES is really just a high trim level Camry. Basically a Camry with leather and some extra options.
I see this trope repeated over and over on these forums, but it has not been true for 7 years. The 2012+ ES350 is based on the Avalon; there is no current Lexus model based on the Camry. Both cars are substantially larger than the Camry.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:20 pm

I'd at least test drive a Tesla Model S. A Lexus ES or Avalon will be a small step up from a Camry. The Tesla is a radically different experience. The complete silence of the powertrain is a pretty luxury feature IMO.

GT99

Post by GT99 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:44 pm

I personally love German vehicles, but based on what you've said, I probably would steer you towards Genesis for luxury at a great value price or Lexus - maybe Mercedes. IMO, Mercedes does luxury better than Audi and BMW. Audi and BMW are great at driving dynamics, but that's pretty clearly not a priority. Volvo and Alfa Romeo also make very nice vehicles.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:55 pm

lazydavid wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:37 am
ssquared87 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:08 pm
The Lexus ES is really just a high trim level Camry. Basically a Camry with leather and some extra options.
I see this trope repeated over and over on these forums, but it has not been true for 7 years. The 2012+ ES350 is based on the Avalon; there is no current Lexus model based on the Camry. Both cars are substantially larger than the Camry.
So it is a tarted up Avalon?:) It is an argument that really makes no sense. If a car meets you needs, who cares what it is based on? Nobody is going to mistake a ES for a drivers car. But as a car to get from point A to B in comfort, it is pretty awesome.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:02 pm

alfaspider wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:20 pm
I'd at least test drive a Tesla Model S. A Lexus ES or Avalon will be a small step up from a Camry. The Tesla is a radically different experience. The complete silence of the powertrain is a pretty luxury feature IMO.
Are you also going to test drive a bently? Why drive a car that costs 2x as much as the OP wants to spend? You are going to be getting a 4+ year old Tesla to get under 40k and you aren't going to be getting a lot of the modern safety tech. If you really want an EV and want to spend 40k, your looking more at Model 3s.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:11 pm

randomguy wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:02 pm
alfaspider wrote:
Are you also going to test drive a bently? Why drive a car that costs 2x as much as the OP wants to spend? You are going to be getting a 4+ year old Tesla to get under 40k and you aren't going to be getting a lot of the modern safety tech. If you really want an EV and want to spend 40k, your looking more at Model 3s.
Ok. So test drive a 3. The point is that it's worth driving an electric car because many of the qualities of electric cars are luxurious compared to internal combustion cars.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:29 pm

alfaspider wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:11 pm
randomguy wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:02 pm
alfaspider wrote:
Ok. So test drive a 3. The point is that it's worth driving an electric car because many of the qualities of electric cars are luxurious compared to internal combustion cars.
Sure but now you are giving up the luxury of space and decent materials for that power train. If they were happy with a smaller car, I would assume they would have been driving a corolla instead of a camry. But only the OP knows their actual requirements. It also doesn't matter. Every car thread ends up with every car every built listed eventually:)

Glasgow

Post by Glasgow » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:35 pm

AQ wrote:

AQ,
From reading your post, you're very frugal. It means, you'd like to not spending too much on:
Maintenance: Oil change, brake fluid, brake pads/rotors, coolant change, fuel filter, etc.
Repairs: Water pump, thermostat, coolant system components, etc.
while enjoying luxury and quietness.

My suggestion test drive Tesla Model 3 FIRST and then other ICE cars. You'll appreciate the quietude, zero vibration, no refueling at gas station, no oil change, etc.

I've gone through Buick (Century), Honda (Accord), Nissan (Maxima), Toyota (Celica, Solara), Lexus (GS 300, GS350, RX330), BMW (530i,535i, 550i, 328i), MBZ (C300) and Tesla S. The best car I've had is Tesla.
Pros:
- Handling is better than my 550i (with Sport Package) on the same daily S-curve.
- HVAC can be activated from Tesla phone app. On summer day, I turn on AC remotely before getting to the car setting interior temperature to 70F. Similar for cold night and heat seat/steering wheel are turned on remotely.
- No vibration at stop light. Don't feel fatigue after 1 hour drive commute home.
- Super quiet at stop light
- Best screen for large map view
- Save on gas. So far, I've saved on 40000 miles. If I drove my 535i, I'd get about 20 mpg. In other words, 1000 gallons of gas saved or $4000 over the course of 2.5 years (I have PV system installed).
- Less brake dust due to regenerate braking
Cons:
- Craftsmanship is no where compared to German cars. Can I say equivalent to '90 Civic? Body trim alignment has lots to be desired i.e. door trims, leather stitches (more improved no 2019 model).
- Closing door sound is cheap. Still love German door closing sound.
- Expensive body repair and long time at body shop (4 weeks). No issue with parts from Tesla, it's just taking long to get it right.
- No blind spot monitor
- A-pillar is low due to aerodynamic design, getting in and out is hard on Model S.
- iPhone music interface is too basic. Cannot access/select song from Tesla entertainment interface. Gotta do it via the phone.

Warn you on new Lexii (Lexuses or Lexus?), they have direct injection and plastic intake manifold with poor or no engine sound suppressing foam like BMW 535i which is superb; Engine sound is very minimal and no ticking or cladding like Lexus. On GS350, I can hear piston cladding during cold months in CA (40-50F). It's more pronounced when rolling up slowly on driveway; it's like driving a diesel car. It happened on my Lexus RX330 and GS350. I heard it happens on LS460 as well as ES350 (search around).

FoolStreet

Post by FoolStreet » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:55 pm

AQ wrote:

If you get one with a plug you may not need to buy gas ever again!

RootSki

Post by RootSki » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:56 pm

Certified Pre-Owned Volvo S90

vu8

Post by vu8 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:16 pm

Lexus Lexus Lexus. If you like sedans, then lexus LS. if you like suvs, then lexus lx. Stay away from the German money pits.

Also, NEVER buy a used luxury car. you'll be burned badly i guarantee.
Last edited by vu8 on Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wander

Post by wander » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:46 pm

vu8 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:16 pm
Lexus Lexus Lexus. If you like sedans, then lexus LS. if you like suvs, then lexus lx. Stay away from the German money pits
+1. I am driving a 20+ year LS and it is still quiet, reliable and powerful. When it's time to upgrade, I will get another LS.

audioaxes

Post by audioaxes » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:54 pm

Another vote for a Lexus due to its reliability. I absolutely hated dealing with some less reliable luxury cars (BMW, Cadillac) that felt like I was driving a ticking time bomb for yet another $1000+ repair job.

delamer

Post by delamer » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:35 pm

vu8 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:16 pm

Also, NEVER buy a used luxury car. you'll be burned badly i guarantee.
This simply is not true. We have owned several used luxury cars, and have been very happy with them with one exception. And the exception was the squeaky brake problem that did not affect the car’s drivability or maintenance costs.

ASpenderInRecovery

Post by ASpenderInRecovery » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:30 pm

randomguy wrote:
mrspock wrote:
IMO you aren’t missing anything. I had a Benz for many years and it was honestly the worst car I’ve ever had. Within a week you will tire of the do-dads and nick-knacks (which all cost a fortune to fix). Buy a Volkswagen to get some higher build quality without the gimmicks and be done IMO.

I would also caution you in that luxury cars are hard to keep for 8 or 10 years unless you are ok with various things breaking and just leaving them for dead. It’s pretty difficult/draining to keep up with all the repairs after a while.

TLDR... stick with MASS produced (non-luxury) cars where their reliability incentives are aligned with yours.
I’d respectfully disagree. Bought a bmw 3series CPO and it was a total pain. Didn’t matter what the issue was the dealer charged $800+ for the repair. The AC magically quit working the week after the warranty expired on a 100 degree day. The gap between luxury and economy cars has shrunk considerably especially with all the standard safety and convenience equipment Toyota, Honda, and even Hyundai are equipping their cars with. The 2018 Accord Touring I bought has more equipment and advanced safety features than the top end Audi A4 Premium Plus for $15k less. Wait to buy till and EOM/EOQ , negotiate right, bid 3 reputable dealers against each other and you can get a top trim economy car at a massive discount.

You won’t get the sportiness or pedigree, but when you spend your days in stop-go traffic, you won’t notice the difference.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:49 pm

ASpenderInRecovery wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:30 pm
randomguy wrote:
mrspock wrote:

I’d respectfully disagree. Bought a bmw 3series CPO and it was a total pain. Didn’t matter what the issue was the dealer charged $800+ for the repair. The AC magically quit working the week after the warranty expired on a 100 degree day. The gap between luxury and economy cars has shrunk considerably especially with all the standard safety and convenience equipment Toyota, Honda, and even Hyundai are equipping their cars with. The 2018 Accord Touring I bought has more equipment and advanced safety features than the top end Audi A4 Premium Plus for $15k less. Wait to buy till and EOM/EOQ , negotiate right, bid 3 reputable dealers against each other and you can get a top trim economy car at a massive discount.

You won’t get the sportiness or pedigree, but when you spend your days in stop-go traffic, you won’t notice the difference.
BMW's aren't exactly at the top of the reliability list either.:) Buy a Lexus or Acura (note they have been having all sort of problems with their latest transmission) or if your feeling daring a porsche/audi (yeah they were bad in the 00s. It isn't the 00s anymore). Again the comment was more that brands are unreliable (MB,, VW aren't at the top on anyones list of reliable makers) versus luxury (i.e. Lexus is luxury and has topped pretty much every quality list for 20 years).

If you don't care about sportiness and can't tell the difference in material quality, there is no point in buying luxury. If you do care about them, you can debate how much it is worth it to you. Mainstream brand cars are pretty darn good these days.

Glasgow

Post by Glasgow » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:53 pm

randomguy wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:49 pm
randomguy wrote:
mrspock wrote:

BMW's aren't exactly at the top of the reliability list either.:) Buy a Lexus or Acura (note they have been having all sort of problems with their latest transmission) or if your feeling daring a porsche/audi (yeah they were bad in the 00s. It isn't the 00s anymore). Again the comment was more that brands are unreliable (MB,, VW aren't at the top on anyones list of reliable makers) versus luxury (i.e. Lexus is luxury and has topped pretty much every quality list for 20 years).

If you don't care about sportiness and can't tell the difference in material quality, there is no point in buying luxury. If you do care about them, you can debate how much it is worth it to you. Mainstream brand cars are pretty darn good these days.
Don't buy BMW. Lease is OK. The BMW V8 leaks wherever there's gasket after 130K miles. This is a widespread issue, not isolated incident. I had to replace valve cover gaskets ($1k+), alternator gasket ($7 part, 6 hr of labors - $1k+), water pump leaked, oil pan leaked, coolant hose broke off, coolant expansion tank leak twice, etc. Front wheel brake dust is horrible. The two in the garage are my last ones.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:02 pm

Glasgow wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:53 pm

Don't buy BMW. Lease is OK. The BMW V8 leaks wherever there's gasket after 130K miles. This is a widespread issue, not isolated incident. I had to replace valve cover gaskets ($1k+), alternator gasket ($7 part, 6 hr of labors - $1k+), water pump leaked, oil pan leaked, coolant hose broke off, coolant expansion tank leak twice, etc. Front wheel brake dust is horrible. The two in the garage are my last ones.
My friends theory is you dump it once the warranty is out. Buy it, get a warranty out to 8years/100k miles and trade it in when that is over. He claims it is cheaper than leasing and so far hasn't had to pay for some uncovered repair. Want to say he is paying 8k for a M5 which gives you an idea of what BMW thinks it will cost to keep the car on the road in years 5-8k. I am told that in the past couple years, BMW raised the rates substantially.

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:23 pm

As I see it, the Lexus VSA Platinum warranty for CPO cars covers all the mechanical and electronic components but excludes what are basically wear-items that just normally wear out.
The original warranty would not cover things like carpet, cloth, fasteners, and bolts, as these things age just like batteries and brakes.

Thank you UALflyer for documenting this well; I appreciate it. But I think if you look closely, you will see that the exclusions in the extended warranty are not that serious.

The extended warranty in Mercedes, for instance, excludes things like the audio system and many trouble-prone and expensive-to-replace electronic items.

ssquared87

Post by ssquared87 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:24 pm

Glasgow wrote:
randomguy wrote:
randomguy wrote:
mrspock wrote:

Why not just buy the inline 6 instead of the v8. The inline 6 is bulletproof and smoother. Yeah it’s slower but it’s got more than enough power for the street

hand

Post by hand » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:50 am

Highly reccomend defining what components of luxury may be of value to you:
Quality?
Safety?
Style?
Prestige?
Comfort?
High Class Finishes?
Good Dealer / Service experiance?
Cost/Value?
Handling?

There are different brand/model offerings that target different mixes of these categories (sometimes with the impact of reducing quality/cost/value).

JackoC

Post by JackoC » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:56 am

ssquared87 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:24 pm
Glasgow wrote:
randomguy wrote:
randomguy wrote:
I’d respectfully disagree. Bought a bmw 3series CPO and it was a total pain. Didn’t matter what the issue was the dealer charged $800+ for the repair. The AC magically quit working the week after the warranty expired on a 100 degree day.
BMW's aren't exactly at the top of the reliability list either.:)

Don't buy BMW. Lease is OK. The BMW V8 leaks wherever there's gasket after 130K miles.
Why not just buy the inline 6 instead of the v8. The inline 6 is bulletproof and smoother.
'After 130k' is also a significant qualifier. I've never had a car to even 100k miles. We typically put under 10k mile/yr on a car and average maybe 8 yrs or so though some of those were sold on to our kids.

The BMW (F30 328i) we'd have for almost 5 yrs has been essentially trouble free. Our M2 is still less than a year old. BMW hasn't been 'top' of Consumer Reports reliability ranking by brand but pretty decent ranking generally in recent years. The F generation 3 series in particular has a very good record on average per CR.

If you're absolutely focused on reliability and luxury per se though, I'd agree with Lexus as in many other posts. Whereas if you 'can't tell the difference in material quality' or generally 'can't tell the difference' in cars, or don't care, then don't buy a luxury brand at all. In the classic Lexus v similar size Toyota model comparisons you *are* getting significant refinements from Lexus. But if you don't appreciate them you shouldn't pay for them.

To me BMW is more for performance and not just stats-wise but 'driver's car'. An F30 3-series is more of a mix of that and luxury car (somewhat notoriously for those who prefer earlier generation 3's and hoping for a harder core next generation 3). The 'G' generation 5 series is well over toward luxury, generally AFAIK. Our M2 is really not a 'luxury' car, ride in it some time and see. :D It's a great car IMO, but not a substitute for an ES at all. Lexus of course has its own concept of performance cars but it's just not on my wavelength: hard to get past the weird styling and even if you do the feel is not the same as BMW, to me. But for a cushy luxury car that's not too carried away in size or price, I think the Lexus ES is a fine choice.

spefactor

Post by spefactor » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:46 am

If going the German car route (BMW, Mercedes, Audi) I would recommend getting an extended warranty or just leasing. It is truly jaw dropping how much these cars cost to repair.

brucebuck1010

Post by brucebuck1010 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:05 pm

I have a 2016 Lexus GS AWD and absolutely love it! Best car I've ever owned. My wife has a 2013 Lexus ES and loves it as well. As far as Toyota - they will not feel like a Lexus. In addition, if you add all the options to a Toyota that you would get standard with a Lexus, you'd actually pay more. But don't get me wrong, Toyota is a good car. The title of this thread is "Luxury", however.

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:32 pm

A Lexus GX470, basically a high end 4Runner. Tacoma
Advantage:Familar to your previous Camry (Toyota reuse everything),AWD (torsen differential) , High reilaibilty (easy to 300k miles), High visibility, High re-sell value
Disvantage: Gas milage, Bumpy truck ride, a little expensive (50K USD)

Avoid German brand at all cost, Why? Low reliability, high cost of part and labor cost (take me 30 min to change a battery on Toyotam, take me 1.5 hr to change German car. German engineering.