H&R Block Bug?! Inputted different from PDF filed

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
edudumb

H&R Block Bug?! Inputted different from PDF filed

Post by edudumb » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:26 am

Just filed via hrblock.com yesterday, and IRS accepted shortly after.

Now, we're looking at the PDF already filed (should've checked it before submitting), we notice that the PDF filed is different from what we've inputted.

On hrblock.com, Schedule E, this is what we've inputted for expenses (still showing on hrblock.com; we didn't change them):

On the pdf file (generated and filed by HR Block), Schedule E, this is what's shown on the corresponding lines:

All other numbers are correctly inputted, but these four are missing.

We contacted H&R Block, but after 2-hour wait, they said they weren't sure and asked us to make an appointment at the branch to have a (free) second look. We'll do it later this week.

But we're still overwhelmingly confused how it could happen... Are we missing anything?

CAsage

Re: H&R Block Bug?! Inputted different from PDF filed

Post by CAsage » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:21 am

What were the total expenses that were carried onward? Were they right? I'm not sure what format exactly HR Block sends....
Salvia Clevelandii "Winifred Gilman" my favorite. YMMV; not a professional advisor.

theta

Post by theta » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:52 am

This is our 1st year of Schedule E, so i’m no expert. But i’m pretty sure you are not allowed to have a loss on a vacation home rental. Thus, if your losses > your income, some losses will not be carried onto the Schedule E. They WILL appear on the Rentals and Royalties worksheet. I believe you can carry your losses forward to use against income in future years, but don’t know the mechanism used for that to happen.

Topic Author
edudumb

Post by edudumb » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:24 am

theta wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:52 am
This is our 1st year of Schedule E, so i’m no expert. But i’m pretty sure you are not allowed to have a loss on a vacation home rental. Thus, if your losses > your income, some losses will not be carried onto the Schedule E. They WILL appear on the Rentals and Royalties worksheet. I believe you can carry your losses forward to use against income in future years, but don’t know the mechanism used for that to happen.
Thanks! There's no loss actually. Our rental income > loss. :confused

Topic Author
edudumb

Post by edudumb » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:25 am

CAsage wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:21 am
What were the total expenses that were carried onward? Were they right? I'm not sure what format exactly HR Block sends....
Thanks. The total expenses were right on the web, but they were wrong on the PDF.. Still :confused

theta

Post by theta » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:49 am

Congrats on making a profit! After depreciation and start-up expenses, ours had a big loss.

Another thought - if you had some personal use, then the deductions are pro-rated by the software. So, if you had 100 days of rental, and 25 days of personal use, you qualify for 80% of the deduction amount you entered. (100/(100+25))

CAsage

Post by CAsage » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:27 pm

Assume then that the PDF sent appears to be actually wrong? Most mistakes in tax return software are either some question somewhere was not answered correctly, forcing the software down a path you know is wrong, or you failed to finish a particular form or query. If possible, crawl through that section again to see if you can change the result. If your file is locked/closed, and your return is in fact wrong, then you might need to amend it. Review twice, submit once (a variation of measure twice, cut once).
Salvia Clevelandii "Winifred Gilman" my favorite. YMMV; not a professional advisor.

vtMaps

Post by vtMaps » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:17 pm

Situations like yours are the reason I submit paper tax returns. When I send in paper, I know exactly what the IRS is looking at. I have used H&R Block desktop software for a few years, and this year and also for 2016 I found discrepancies between the printed pdf and the screen. If I had e-filed, I would have no idea what numbers were sent to the IRS.

--vtMaps
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true. --James Branch Cabell

sarabayo

Post by sarabayo » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:38 pm

I noticed something similar in my TurboTax PDF (i.e. some values I had entered in the program weren't being entered in what looked like the corresponding fields on the form), but then I looked closer and the program had written next to the final number, "calculated from worksheet [whatever]" and that worksheet was included in the PDF. So I guess maybe the IRS lets you leave some intermediate fields blank as long as you show your calculations on the appropriate worksheet instead...?

theta

Post by theta » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:00 pm

Yes, Sarabayo. It’s the Rentals and Royalties Worksheet that shows the user-entered numbers, along with the computed results, which then end up on the return/PDF.

sarabayo

Post by sarabayo » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:18 pm

theta wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:00 pm
Yes, Sarabayo. It’s the Rentals and Royalties Worksheet that shows the user-entered numbers, along with the computed results, which then end up on the return/PDF.
Makes sense. (In my case it was actually Form 8606 for IRA distributions, I think, but probably a similar idea.)