Best credit card to pay for cell phone bills online?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
vu8

Best credit card to pay for cell phone bills online?

Post by vu8 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:55 pm

Good day, I have City 2% cash back. Trying to enroll in a cellphone plan and buy a cellphone here on Sprint. What is the best credit card to be used to pay for cellphone bills or buy a cellphone from Sprint? Does shopping on Sprint apply under BOA cash back's online shopping categories? Any recommendations?

NewOldGuy

Re: Best credit card to pay for cell phone bills online?

Post by NewOldGuy » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:04 pm

While you may get cash back for a phone purchase, BofA excludes "utilities" which would include phone bills. Currently Amex is offering a promotion of 10% back on your monthly cell phone bill through June. Think there is a $15-20 limit.

decapod10

Post by decapod10 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:05 pm

I use the Chase Ink Cash, especially if you have the Sapphire Reserve or Preferred.

The Chase Ink Cash gives 5% cash back for cellphone, cable, and office supply stores. The Ultimate Reward points are transferrable to other cards, so if you transfer the UR points to your Sapphire Reserve for example, you can use them in the travel portal for 1.5x (so effectively 7.5% if you travel a lot).

Topic Author
vu8

Post by vu8 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:09 pm

decapod10 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:05 pm
I use the Chase Ink Cash, especially if you have the Sapphire Reserve or Preferred.

The Chase Ink Cash gives 5% cash back for cellphone, cable, and office supply stores. The Ultimate Reward points are transferrable to other cards, so if you transfer the UR points to your Sapphire Reserve for example, you can use them in the travel portal for 1.5x (so effectively 7.5% if you travel a lot).
Is there a way to get your hands on an ink cash card without owning any sorts of business? 5% on cell phone bills sounds great to me...

Topic Author
vu8

Post by vu8 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:10 pm

NewOldGuy wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:04 pm
While you may get cash back for a phone purchase, BofA excludes "utilities" which would include phone bills. Currently Amex is offering a promotion of 10% back on your monthly cell phone bill through June. Think there is a $15-20 limit.
that's some insanely detailed answers. thank you so much for your clarification I'll probably stick with my citi 2 percent to pay for my sprint.com purchases then.

cmeretire

Post by cmeretire » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:14 pm

vu8 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:09 pm
decapod10 wrote:

Is there a way to get your hands on an ink cash card without owning any sorts of business? 5% on cell phone bills sounds great to me...
I use the INK card as well for purchases at Staples and paying my Cell Phone Bill and Cable Bill. You DON'T have to own a business to get one, you can just use your SS # to apply for it. It uses the Ultimate Rewards points system which I find to be very useful for booking travel or transferring points to my Southwest account.

decapod10

Post by decapod10 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:14 pm

vu8 wrote:
decapod10 wrote:

Well not really, you have to have a business, but they're pretty loose on their definition of "business". For example, I had some rental property and put "landlord" on there, and that was enough. They didn't ask for any verification, though in theory I could have shown verification if I needed to. I know others who sell stuff on eBay put that down.

PilotNJ

Post by PilotNJ » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:37 pm

vu8 wrote:
decapod10 wrote:

Chase allows you to apply for the card as a sole proprietor and use your personal SS# instead of a corporate EIN#. Their definition of business seems very broad. I have a rental and used that to apply, but they never verified the details.

Additionally, if you have a friend who already has the card, have them send you an invite code and they will get extra 20k points

Vulcan

Post by Vulcan » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:39 pm

vu8 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:55 pm
Good day, I have City 2% cash back. Trying to enroll in a cellphone plan and buy a cellphone here on Sprint. What is the best credit card to be used to pay for cellphone bills or buy a cellphone from Sprint? Does shopping on Sprint apply under BOA cash back's online shopping categories? Any recommendations?
Wells Fargo Propel offers free phone protection if you use it to pay the monthly bill.

It is also a great card to use for travel, gas, and dining (3% cash back on those categories)
If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything. ~Ronald Coase

Vulcan

Post by Vulcan » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:46 pm

altruist wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:07 pm
Worth seeing this - https://www.doctorofcredit.com/full-det ... -coverage/
$495 annual fee? :shock:
No thanks, I think I'll stick with WF Propel:) :beer
If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything. ~Ronald Coase

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:58 pm

+1 Chase Business Ink for 5% off.

No-fee Uber Visa offers 2% off plus up to $600 cell phone insurance if you use it to pay your cell phone bill. There is a sign up bonus of $100 if you spend $500 in first 90 days.

bck63

Post by bck63 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:03 pm

We use Fidelity Signature VISA. 2% cash back on all categories. No different amounts for different types of spending. 2% back on everything. Cash goes right into our brokerage account.

MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:08 pm

I have Verizon Wireless and with their unlimited plan I get I think 10% off my bill if I pay by direct debit to my bank account. I can verify when back in the states, but I am pretty sure that is the discount. So if you have VZ wireless, may be worth calling and asking them about discounts for auto pay to bank accounts.
Last edited by MikeG62 on Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:27 pm

US Bank Cash+
5% cash-back for cell phones. Must re-select that category quarterly. And it is certainly subject to change in the future.

One of the few good uses left for what was once an excellent cash-back card.

RobZ

Post by RobZ » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:29 pm

HomeStretch wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:58 pm
No-fee Uber Visa offers 2% off plus up to $600 cell phone insurance if you use it to pay your cell phone bill. There is a sign up bonus of $100 if you spend $500 in first 90 days.
+1 for Barclay's Uber VISA which gives free cell phone insurance, plus 4% dining, 3% hotels/cars, 2% online purchases, 1% all else.

In January I cracked my Samsung S9+ screen and while I had to jump through a few hoops they sent me a $275 check for screen replacement.

Add to that the $100 sign up bonus, the $50 annual netflix/streaming credit, and the $60-$70 cash back each month and its my favorite card. I canceled my Chase Sapphire Reserve and relegated my Fidelity Visa to backup/"all other" purchases category.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:00 pm

US Bank has cell phones, as well as streaming and internet, in their 5% cash back categories.

https://cashplus.usbank.com/merchants

You can get a $150 sign-up bonus on $500 spend.

https://www.usbank.com/credit-cards.html
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:12 pm

MikeG62 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:08 pm
I have Verizon Wireless and with their unlimited plan I get I think 10% off my bill if I pay by direct debit to my bank account. I can verify when back in the states, but I am pretty sure that is the discount. So if you have VZ wireless, may be worth calling and asking them about discounts for auto pay to bank accounts.
The discount is $5 and autopay is required to be via checking account. You can make manual payments by credit card but may lose the discount. You can use a debit card.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

cowbman

Post by cowbman » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:32 pm

I used to use my Chase Ink Cash card which earns 5 pts/$, but I switched to the Ink Preferred, which gets 3 pts/$, but comes with cell phone insurance. I believe US Bank may have something similar. In general most people recommend a Chase Ink card as your best bet. The Chase Ink Preferred insurance has a $100 deductible, whereas some other issuers are $25-50. The Citi Prestige has good cell phone insurance, but it only receives 1 pt/$.

MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:07 am

RickBoglehead wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:12 pm
MikeG62 wrote:
The discount is $5 and autopay is required to be via checking account. You can make manual payments by credit card but may lose the discount. You can use a debit card.
Rick, you are correct. However, it’s $5 “per line”. I have four lines on my account so my discount is $20 off a bill of around $200. Thus the reason I thought it was 10%,
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience

susa

Post by susa » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:31 am

Amex SimplyCash card also has 5% off on cell phone bills

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:38 am

MikeG62 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:07 am
RickBoglehead wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:12 pm
MikeG62 wrote:
Rick, you are correct. However, it’s $5 “per line”. I have four lines on my account so my discount is $20 off a bill of around $200. Thus the reason I thought it was 10%,
Actually, it's not a discount. It's a surcharge you pay if you don't agree to autopay via a checking account. You cannot setup autopay unless you use a checking account, or a debit card. Credit cards used to be accepted for autopay, and they are no longer.

And the surcharge depends on the plan you have. With the newer unlimited plans, the surcharge is $5 per month per line. I have the New Verizon Plan Unlimited, which is the older one. My surcharge would be $10, period, not per line.

With the addition of 2 lines to our plan, now totaling 6 lines, our bill got higher. However, with a 2% back credit card, it's still not worth paying by credit card.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.