Recommendations on treadmill purchase

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
rohans

Recommendations on treadmill purchase

Post by rohans » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:10 pm

Hello,

I wonder if any of you have had experience with buying a top quality treadmill.
Currently I am looking at the ProForm Pro 9000. It looks quite good for features (I don't care about the 1-Year iFit® Coach Membership Included stuff). https://www.proform.com/treadmills/pro9 ... n6EALw_wcB.

The features I believe are good to look for in treadmills are:
  • 48+ inch belt
  • 10 mph or more
  • 3.0 hp motor
  • good shock absorption
  • stable
  • reachable good controls with workout routines and video\music capable
  • good warranty
Any advice or suggestions are most welcome. Thanks!

RollTide31457

Re: Recommendations on treadmill purchase

Post by RollTide31457 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:38 pm

Recommend a gym membership instead. They will have better equipment and you won’t have to deal with maintenance.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:42 pm

I think the choice is high end home or used commercial.

I bought a Precor 964i commercial treadmill for $125 (thank you Craigslist). Paid another $125 for movers to get it in my basement. (It probably will never leave).

It doesn't have music/video, but it is a beast. Smooth, quiet, powerful and built for thousands of hours of running. Incline and speed.

Most home treadmills will succumb to the pounding sooner than you would like.
"We are not here to agree with you; we are here to provoke thoughtfulness." Unknown Boglehead | “It’s not things that upset us but rather our opinions about things.” Epictetus

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:50 pm

RollTide31457 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:38 pm
Recommend a gym membership instead. They will have better equipment and you won’t have to deal with maintenance.
Shortly after we moved to our current house more than 15 years ago, we purchased an elliptical and a treadmill.
We had to be careful, especially with the elliptical, about head clearance, so it was tricky.
And we also chose one that had adjustable stride, including on the small side, for me. Long or short legs can use the treadmill; a fixed stride elliptical was difficult, as were those with limited adjustments.

This was one of the *best* (major) purchases we've made. They are right *here*, rain or shine, weekend or weekday or evening. We've got a TV there (they are in the "media/family room", so we can watch the news or any other program, same as we would upstairs.

(And our housesitter likes using the treadmill. Anything we can do to keep her is worthwhile :wink: )

And we've only had one service call all this time, which was minimal, but yes, we got "high end home", per above comment.

Do we use them "as much as we should"? Nope.
But we definitely use them more than if we needed to head out somewhere else.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

cuendillar

Post by cuendillar » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:59 pm

I have had a ProForm Pro 2000 for a few years now. I have put several hundred miles on it and it still feels sturdy. I am tall (6'4") and weigh around 215. So this is impressive. Because of my stride length, I got a longer version. Some of the things I wanted after having previous treadmills are USB hook-up / earphone jack (music while jogging), plug in (vs. batteries for display), collapsible (for moving houses or relocating to another room). This is my second one (the first didn't make a cross-country move with me) and both have been reliable. My previous one did have a belt issue once, and ProForm sent a tech out to repair it, free of charge and within a few days (the original year warranty). I got one for home use simply because it was overall less expensive than the gym, I run on my schedule, and I didn't have to be conscious of anyone else and could get as loud as I wanted when singing or otherwise doing my running thing. I vaguely recall when I was doing my own research that the same company that makes ProForm was also the leading manufacturer for the higher end gym treadmills. Also, a number of people I spoke to during my research recommended I get a more powerful motor. Apparently the lower-end motors were more likely to have plastic parts vs. steel parts and were considered less reliable. However, I don't recall that I actually vetted that in any way, so you may want to ask.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:55 pm

My wife loves to walk, and has worn out both a Pro-Form and a Reebok treadmill. After she saw how much I love and use my Peloton bike (119 rides since Thanksgiving!), she took a look at their Tread and decided she had to have one. Like all legitimately high-end treadmills such as Woodway or Landice, it's quite expensive. But it's SO much better than anything she's ever used that there's literally no comparison. The design is less tiring on her feet, so she can use it for much longer spans. I was hoping she'd take advantage of the classes on the touchscreen (which don't cost us anything since it's the same subscription as my bike), but most of the time she uses the "just run" function and watches something on her iPad.

If that's not your thing, the Landice L7 or L8 is supposed to be about the best conventional treadmill out there, and Landice is unique in the industry for offering a full lifetime warranty. Obviously you have to be pretty committed to drop that kind of coin on a piece of exercise equipment, lest it become the cliche clothing rack. We're just a few months in, but I have high confidence ours will be a good value over time.

4nwestsaylng

Post by 4nwestsaylng » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:59 pm

My brother-in-law bought a high end Reebok treadmill and put it in the living room.

He used it regularly for a while as breaks from his techie home based workday (online leading tech teams for a major tech corporation).

Two years later, it is sitting in their huge garage, and he has gained a lot of weight sitting at the computer doing his work.

I think maybe if he had bought something like the Peleton, which he could easily afford, that the subscription to the on screen running coaches, running in Italy, Greece, etc., might have motivated him more.

Or maybe not.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:08 pm

Several folks I know use their treadmills to hang clothes to dry.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:09 pm

lazydavid wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:55 pm
My wife loves to walk, and has worn out both a Pro-Form and a Reebok treadmill. After she saw how much I love and use my Peloton bike (119 rides since Thanksgiving!), she took a look at their Tread and decided she had to have one. Like all legitimately high-end treadmills such as Woodway or Landice, it's quite expensive. But it's SO much better than anything she's ever used that there's literally no comparison. The design is less tiring on her feet, so she can use it for much longer spans. I was hoping she'd take advantage of the classes on the touchscreen (which don't cost us anything since it's the same subscription as my bike), but most of the time she uses the "just run" function and watches something on her iPad.

If that's not your thing, the Landice L7 or L8 is supposed to be about the best conventional treadmill out there, and Landice is unique in the industry for offering a full lifetime warranty. Obviously you have to be pretty committed to drop that kind of coin on a piece of exercise equipment, lest it become the cliche clothing rack. We're just a few months in, but I have high confidence ours will be a good value over time.
Ah, the "clothing rack" <insert embarrassed face emoticon!>

Some time ago, I got an ultra-cheap something-or-other that one sat on (or was supposed to) and did <something>.
It was such a clunker. Uncomfortable. Difficult to get it going. Just unpleasant all the way around.
I suppose I got the (cheap) money's worth as a great place to stack "stuff". It had the handles AND a seat.
So convenient! :twisted:

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

nick evets

Post by nick evets » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:51 pm

Long story: years ago, my local gym was clearing out old equipment, and I bought a Life Fitness 9500HR for $500. Another $100 plus tip to have 3 movers haul it upstairs.

1 year later some wax problem where the belt wasn't getting sprayed -- $240 in parts and labor.

6 months after that, my wife became alarmed because our circuit breaker kept tripping and even more alarmed when she discovered to accommodate the odd-shaped plug (20 amp) I'd simply changed the outlet: electrician hired to run a dedicated 20 amp circuit. $350 or something near that.

1 year after that, the motor burned out. This I changed myself, after finding one online for $450 or so. Expensive!!

It soon became apparent after that, locating this monster upstairs was a bad idea, as nail pops in the ceiling sheet rock started occurring. And the belt was getting worn, and changing it is nothing trivial. And the electronics started to get wonky -- during a flat part of the hill profile, suddenly the incline would increase.

Offered to sell it. No takers. Finally offered to give it away provided *professional* movers were hired to remove it and not damage my house. After 50 various craigslist 'offers', I trusted one guy who sent 3 scary looking dudes over in a "rent me for $19.95 a day" pickup. Professional movers, my *. And of course they couldn't begin to lift this treadmill and get it down the stairs. Angry words and an ugly moment about who would pay them (not me!!!).

Finally sat down with my socket set, and cordless drill and turned the treadmill into 58230 parts, that I could get down the stairs into my truck ,and take to the dump.

But when it ran, it was great!

elainet7

Post by elainet7 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:57 pm

star trac treadmill
their recumbent bike is great as well

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:49 am

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:58 am

Landice L8
Funding secured

aquaman

Post by aquaman » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:46 pm

Last edited by aquaman on Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Northster

Post by Northster » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:51 pm

Nothing but good to say about our 20-year old Landice. Very basic but a real workhorse.

Revision17

Post by Revision17 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:56 pm

I don't own a treadmill, but after years of going to the gym, I've finally built up a home fitness setup. What a timesaver! :sharebeer

baconavocado

Post by baconavocado » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:18 pm

RollTide31457 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:38 pm
+1

Not sure which model it was but I recently hauled both a treadmill and an exercise bike out of my in-laws basement where they had been taking up space for a couple decades. They were h-e-a-v-y, and the scrap metal guy agreed with me on that.