French Door Refrigerator Recommendations?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
HardHitter

French Door Refrigerator Recommendations?

Post by HardHitter » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:25 am

We have a GE Profile Refrigerator that was original with our house (2006) and we've had issues where the refridge side doesn't cool, but the freezer is fine. We've had it repaired once but realize its now doing the same thing a few years later. We have a side-by-side configuration and we are thinking we want to move to french door with the freezer on the bottom. We always hear about how poorly the ice maker and such is on french door type models, so does anyone have a good recommendation for me to take a look at where the ice maker can keep up with demand?

Needs are:

- Water dispenser in door
- Stainless steel finish
- Good ice maker

quantAndHold

Re: French Door Refrigerator Recommendations?

Post by quantAndHold » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:34 am

NOT Samsung. The French door models, in particular, are poorly designed and unreliable. The biggest problem everyone has (although it’s not the only problem) is that the ice maker freezes up. There’s a class action lawsuit going on about this. Samsung claims to have fixed the problem, but judging by the number of people with newer Samsung fridges that have icemaker problems, I suspect the “fix” is more PR spin than an actual fix.

We had our Samsung replaced under warranty because the bottom of the freezer was filling with ice in an unrepairable way, and I’ve had to learn refrigerator repair to keep it running now that the second one is out of warranty.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:40 am

I think you are looking for a pink unicorn (it doesn't exist except in a child's imagination). The problem with French Door ice makers is that the ice is made in a little mini-freezer space inside the refrigerator door. Difficult to insulate. Adds a ton of complexity.

Buy something on sale at a price point where you won't be too upset if you have to replace it in 5-7 years.

You may want to buy up to a price point where you have more flexible shelving options.

We have a Thermador french door unit [same design as a Miele] with a great ice maker down in the freezer. No in-door dispensing.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:03 pm

Love our LG counter-depth french-door fridge, but the icemaker is a definite weak point. It makes ice almost as fast as what you'd find in a side-by-side (6 half-moons every 8-10 minutes), but only holds about 3 lbs, whereas many side-by-side icemakers have a capacity in the 10-15 lb range. We use a ton of ice, so we've supplemented with a countertop icemaker that makes 2lbs/hr.

However, if you don't want to go that route, there are actually french door units with dual icemakers. You have the primary in the door just like mine, but then you have a traditional icemaker in the upper part of the freezer section, that dispenses into a large internal tray. Ours has the tray but not the icemaker, and I would guess it would hold 15lbs easily. That would give you both more capacity and a higher production rate than you have today.

Topic Author
HardHitter

Post by HardHitter » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:25 pm

lazydavid wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:03 pm
Love our LG counter-depth french-door fridge, but the icemaker is a definite weak point. It makes ice almost as fast as what you'd find in a side-by-side (6 half-moons every 8-10 minutes), but only holds about 3 lbs, whereas many side-by-side icemakers have a capacity in the 10-15 lb range. We use a ton of ice, so we've supplemented with a countertop icemaker that makes 2lbs/hr.

However, if you don't want to go that route, there are actually french door units with dual icemakers. You have the primary in the door just like mine, but then you have a traditional icemaker in the upper part of the freezer section, that dispenses into a large internal tray. Ours has the tray but not the icemaker, and I would guess it would hold 15lbs easily. That would give you both more capacity and a higher production rate than you have today.
I just took a look at some fridges and noticed this. The in-door was small but I saw some had icemaers also in the top portion of the pull out freezer and you can just use your hands or a cup to dig the ice out. We are only a family of 2 adults and a 5 month baby, so we don't need that much ice, but when we host parties, we have to go out and buy bags of ice because we know the standard ice maker will only last 5-8 drinks.

MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:32 pm

Our old GE French door refrigerator (22 cf?) worked well over 30 years without any trouble and we replaced it with a newer smaller GE for energy efficiency. The new GE has a lot of trouble with automatic ice maker and cold water dispenser. I also find a large puddle of water underneath the door of the freezer section on a regular basis. Apparently the quality went down a lot.

ram

Post by ram » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:40 pm

I bought LG LFXS 30766S standard depth, french door, lower freezer model 2 weeks ago. It has a door in door which seems to be more useful than what I thought. Icemaker is small. Cant comment on reliability yet but good per consumer reports.
Last fridge lasted >10 yrs with the ice maker shut off (water source shut off ) for last 3 years. I have resigned to the fact that icemakers last for 60-70% of the refrigerators lifespan.
Last edited by ram on Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ram

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:06 pm

We bought a french-door Samsung about 3-1/2 years ago. We need the french door because of our kitchen configuration. We had problems with the fan freezing up about 1-1/2 years after purchase. Fortunately we had purchased an extended warranty through Lowe's so we called them for service. When the repairman came he diagnosed the problem but also told us that this model was having problems with the icemaker (leaking, I think) and that he would order all the parts to fix both problems. When nothing happened within a reasonable amount of time we called to check and were told that parts were on backorder. At that point we called Lowe's and asked for a loaner which they provided. After the parts were still not available after well over a month we contacted Lowe's and asked to exercise the money back guarantee. They ended up doing so and sent us a check for the original price. We also filed a claim for spoiled food of about $250 which they paid.

After reading reviews and finding no brand with glowing reviews we purchased a french-door GE Profile based on the fact that GE seemed to have a better service and parts network (and us now being particularly sensitive to parts availability). We again purchased the extended warranty through Lowe's but the price had increased substantially since our original purchase (no surprise given our experience and the frequency of refrigerator problems described in reviews). We've now had the GE for 2 years or so and overall it's been good - not great. Occasionally the ice gets frozen up in the door (very easy to resolve) and the water dispenser also drips every now and then (I got some grey absorbent pads and cut to fit the shelf - they look nice and do the trick). We still have the warranty to address these two issues should they irritate us too much and in case anything else crops up in the next couple of years.

Although I wouldn't highly recommend the GE it's been far better than the Samsung for us. We liked the Samsung layout better (seemed a roomier) but having a refrigerator problem is a real hassle, especially when it's down for an extended period of time. From what I've read and heard parts availability for LG can also be problematic. Hopefully the Haier (Chinese company) purchase of the GE appliance business doesn't have the same impact on GE.

Newer refrigerators seem to be much more problematic than the older ones. I suspect that's at least partly due to added features. Because of this I think that a refrigerator may be one of the exceptions to the 'don't buy extended warranties' rule of thumb. Of course at some point the increased costs of an extended warranty is likely to validate the rule again.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

Carefreeap

Post by Carefreeap » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:20 pm

We have a Samsung French door fridge which we bought in 2013 and like very much. There has been only one issue and it turned out the installers did not level the fridge correctly and we had some freezing up with the fridge drain.

Our model has an inside water dispenser and regular ice maker in the freezer. With our other in-door water/ice makers there were ALWAYS problems with them freezing up/clogging. Life is simpler without that "feature". Also we hated the extra space eaten up by in-door unit.

TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:43 pm

If you had asked a few days ago, I'd have written a strong recommendation for an LG. But yesterday afternoon it mostly stopped making 'cool'. The freezer side is just above fridge temp, the fridge side is only slightly cool. Best Buy extended warranty - they've been called but appointment is eight day wait. We've got a plan B, C, D, but it's frustrating. I miss the days of reliable appliances.
"Technology is cool, but you've got to use it as opposed to letting it use you." - Prince

ndlex

Post by ndlex » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:52 am

I have to also say NOT Samsung. They have a major design flaw that causes it to freeze up and need defrosting. Mine went 3 years before exhibiting problem and then has needed it twice in six months. I also know three other people who have Samsung refrigerators with the same problem.

Google searches will show the problem is widespread. There is a Facebook group with a large following on it as well.

dknightd

Post by dknightd » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:15 am

Interesting to read about Samsung problems. We have a 2010 Samsung (RF4287 series) that has been working great.
The only problem we have with it is we don't use much ice. So occasionally the ice gets pushed toward the front of the dispenser, and it makes more ice in the back. Every once in a while I have to pull the ice drawer and redistribute the ice (or take some out). Probably do this a few times a year.

JBeck

Post by JBeck » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:09 am

My Kenmore is noisy. I did buy it for a deep discount which makes me feel better; a Sears was closing nearby.
Last edited by JBeck on Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Don_Qua

Post by Don_Qua » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:06 am

Just say no to LG. Do a Google search and you'll find that what LG calls their linear compressor lasts 2-5 years before self destructing. There's a 10 year warranty on the compressor but not on the labor to install it. Ours is a Kenmore Elite made by LG so we don't even have that 10 year warranty on the compressor (thanks Sears!).

Another common problem with LG's French door refrigerators is that the evaporator for either the freezer or the refrigerator section freezes up, our refrigerator section has twice grown an internal iceberg large enough to sink the Titanic, large enough to make noise when the iceberg grew into the evaporator fan. Our ice maker still works but every time we turn it on it makes an awful cracking noise like a tree branch snapping. I'm preparing for the demise of our 3 year old Kenmore Elite/LG by not filling the freezer and passively shopping for either a GE or Whirlpool replacement.

TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:19 am

There are many Internet complaints about LG's linear compressor failures, as well as repair time due to parts backorders and lack of repair techs. A class action lawsuit is being filed in California and is likely to expand to other states. See: https://www.girardsharp.com/work-pendin ... ass-action
"Technology is cool, but you've got to use it as opposed to letting it use you." - Prince

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:28 am

Our LG french door fridge is about 9 months old and hasn't given us any problems yet, knock on wood. I paid $300 for the 5 year extended warranty from Lowes due to LG's terrible reliability reviews and I never buy warranties. I'm mentally prepared to go to battle if the time comes and we have backup cold food storage space.

https://www.lg.com/us/refrigerators/lg- ... frigerator

The features and size of the fridge were just too good to pass up. We went with one that doesn't have the door in door and I don't think I would like it that feature because the shelves are smaller on those and that reduces the total amount you can fit in the shelves.

The small in door ice maker actually works really well for dispensing and crushing. We've never emptied it in a single night but have come close. The ice will start freezing together if you don't use it for a week or so at a time. Mostly that can be fixed by opening the hatch and banging on it but there is one area that we need to pull ice cube blobs ever couple weeks. Freezer space is too valuable to waste on giant ice makers and unless you are filling coolers every week the ice takes too long to cycle through IMO.

Our model has complaints of ice forming in the vents but this might be climate dependent as we've had no ice formation and I keep an eye on it. The ice formation could be a contributing factor to compressor burnout.
Last edited by barnaclebob on Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:35 am

After our experience with the Samsung, and what I now know about all brands of refrigerators, I think on our next one, I’ll be getting the extended warranty.

If I had known, I would never have replaced our 20 year old Maytag.

froman118

Post by froman118 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:42 am

Finished our kitchen remodel a month ago and after a lot of research I ruled out Samsung and LG for the reasons others have posted (poor warranty service and parts availability). I specifically wanted a model without ice through the door because it takes up fridge space and is prone to issues. Trade off is no external water dispenser and ice tray using space in freezer. Needed counter depth for our setup and ended up with this Whirlpool:

https://www.costco.com/Whirlpool-20CuFt ... 54880.html

Full depth:

https://www.costco.com/Whirlpool-25CuFt ... 90134.html

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:44 am

LG.

Tim

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:45 am

CR report LG has the lowest problem. Ordered one from Coctco. They will extend warranty and if anytime wrong they will take it back.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:54 pm

HardHitter wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:25 am
We always hear about how poorly the ice maker and such is on french door type models,
I've replaced the ice maker on our refrigerator once. The assembly was readily available off of ebay for a fair price and took about ten minutes with a screwdriver to swap out. I wouldn't just buy a refrigerator solely on how the ice maker holds up. I would get the one I want and the ice maker would only be a minor consideration.

tampaite

Post by tampaite » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:48 pm

HardHitter wrote:
Needs are:

- Water dispenser in door
- Stainless steel finish
- Good ice maker
We bought LG LSXS26326S and it's been going strong for 2+ yrs now.

Pretty happy with the LG brand.

j0nnyg1984

Post by j0nnyg1984 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:31 pm

I’ve had my kitchenaid krff305 plugged in for about a month - loving it so far. My mom has had the same model for over two years without any issues

mpnret

Post by mpnret » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:40 am

lthenderson wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:54 pm
HardHitter wrote:
We always hear about how poorly the ice maker and such is on french door type models,
I've replaced the ice maker on our refrigerator once. The assembly was readily available off of ebay for a fair price and took about ten minutes with a screwdriver to swap out. I wouldn't just buy a refrigerator solely on how the ice maker holds up. I would get the one I want and the ice maker would only be a minor consideration.
My Samsung french door refrigerator ice maker leaked all over the floor. Multiple repairmen claimed poor design. If I researched it first I would have made my decision soley on the ice maker.

meebers

Post by meebers » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:48 pm

No matter what fridge, check the price of water filters for it. Mine expire every 6 months and cost $54.00 each and the fridge will not allow you to reset/reuse them. I have found a hack that keeps my sanity. :D

bernoulli

Post by bernoulli » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:04 pm

We have a Samsung that we bought almost 10 years ago, never had a problem. Fingers and paws crossed.

queso

Post by queso » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:33 am

meebers wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:48 pm
No matter what fridge, check the price of water filters for it. Mine expire every 6 months and cost $54.00 each and the fridge will not allow you to reset/reuse them. I have found a hack that keeps my sanity. :D
Do they make a bypass for your unit? We have a Kenmore Pro that uses a Frigidaire filter, but I found a bypass module for it that doesn't do filtration and just lets the water pass through. Our tap water is fine so I didn't see the need for the extra filtration.

Lacrocious

Post by Lacrocious » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:17 pm

A vote here for KitchenAid - French door models with the ice maker in the freezer. It works great. There is no big gapping hole in the door and no mini-freezer taking up fridge space. Ours has a Water Dispenser inside the fridge. Minor point you have to have the one fridge door open while getting water, but that doesn't take long. They do have In-Door ice & water models, but we didn't like them either.

Another good point is their counter depth models, if you can afford it. They have a 72" high vs the standard 68/69" models. That extra 3-4 inches increases the capacity enough that it was worth the extra $$. Most counter depth are around 18-20 cu ft, while the taller KitchenAid is 22cu ft. We had to raise our upper cabinets that are over the fridge to accommodate it, but for our cabinets, that was easy.

See: KRFC302EBS-KitchenAid® 22 cu. ft. 36" Inch Width Counter Depth French Door Refrigerator with Interior Dispense
- L

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:54 pm

Lacrocious wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:17 pm
Another good point is their counter depth models, if you can afford it. They have a 72" high vs the standard 68/69" models. That extra 3-4 inches increases the capacity enough that it was worth the extra $$. Most counter depth are around 18-20 cu ft, while the taller KitchenAid is 22cu ft. We had to raise our upper cabinets that are over the fridge to accommodate it, but for our cabinets, that was easy.

See: KRFC302EBS-KitchenAid® 22 cu. ft. 36" Inch Width Counter Depth French Door Refrigerator with Interior Dispense
- L
Interesting. Our counter-depth LG (LFX25991ST) has a standard-size housing that is 69" tall (70" including the door hinges), and is 24.6 cu ft.

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:58 pm

TimeRunner wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:43 pm
I miss the days of reliable appliances.
My GE builtin microwave just went out recently. I believe it dates back to the house being remodeled in the early 1980s.

Topic Author
HardHitter

Post by HardHitter » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:37 pm

Just a quick update on this. Still looking

Want counter depth and no longer need a second ice maker.

Current fridge is a GE Profile PSC25MSTSS

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:58 pm

HardHitter wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:37 pm

You mean you want a counter depth french door with no in-door dispenser or ice maker?

Liebherr. They manufacture refrigerators for Miele in the European market. Check dimensions very, very carefully.
https://home.liebherr.com/en/usa/ncsa/r ... -6256.html

Topic Author
HardHitter

Post by HardHitter » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:00 pm

stan1 wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:58 pm
HardHitter wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:37 pm

You mean you want a counter depth french door with no in-door dispenser or ice maker?

Liebherr. They manufacture refrigerators for Miele in the European market. Check dimensions very, very carefully.
No, I want counter depth french door with in-door dispenser and ice maker. When I said dual ice maker, that means that it has it in the door and it makes ice in the bottom freezer as well. I can get away with just the in-door.

UALflyer

Post by UALflyer » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:17 pm

stan1 wrote:
Right, although Arcelik, a Turkish company, makes Miele, Bosch, Gaggenau and Thermador refrigerators for the US market.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:22 pm

UALflyer wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:17 pm
stan1 wrote:
Right, although Arcelik, a Turkish company, makes Miele, Bosch, Gaggenau and Thermador refrigerators for the US market.
It's been a few years since I looked but back then in the US market these were all sold as integrated (built-in) units. Perhaps they do have some now that are freestanding.

But OP wants in-door dispensers for ice and water so I'd probably buy a such a unit for the kitchen and then a full size fridge/freezer for the garage to use as a backup when the first is not working.

TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:22 pm

LG-authorized repair person supposedly comes Monday. Best Buy handed it off to their insurance company for fridges, AIG, who then contracts with semi-local (40 miles away) repair shop that sends tech to diagnose issue. (It's a busted compressor but they won't take customer's diagnosis - they need to verify then order parts.) So basically eight days after fridge breaks, we'll get a diagnosis. Then we'll wait for parts order, then wait for availability of repair person who can actually weld in the new compressor. Fortunately we have a friend who had several dorm-size fridges who lent them to us, so the kitchen now has two stacked mini-fridges (2 ice-cube trays, whoo-hoo) to hold us for however long it takes. This is the way of the new corporate overlords - no more local appliance dealer to deal with or fight for the customer when it comes to warranty repair issues. Just glad we are in a position to deal with it. I feel for someone in lesser circumstances who has mobility issues and no alternatives.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:48 pm

FYI, the GE Profile counter-depth French Door model that we ended up purchasing after the bad experience with the Samsung (see above) is a PYE22KSKFSS. It has an in-door ice maker and option to install a second icemaker in the freezer (I purchased it and installed myself - very easy). Overall I'd give it a B- which I consider pretty good these days. We've had it for about 2 years now with no major issues.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:51 pm

TimeRunner wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:22 pm
LG-authorized repair person supposedly comes Monday. Best Buy handed it off to their insurance company for fridges, AIG, who then contracts with semi-local (40 miles away) repair shop that sends tech to diagnose issue. (It's a busted compressor but they won't take customer's diagnosis - they need to verify then order parts.) So basically eight days after fridge breaks, we'll get a diagnosis. Then we'll wait for parts order, then wait for availability of repair person who can actually weld in the new compressor. Fortunately we have a friend who had several dorm-size fridges who lent them to us, so the kitchen now has two stacked mini-fridges (2 ice-cube trays, whoo-hoo) to hold us for however long it takes. This is the way of the new corporate overlords - no more local appliance dealer to deal with or fight for the customer when it comes to warranty repair issues. Just glad we are in a position to deal with it. I feel for someone in lesser circumstances who has mobility issues and no alternatives.
This is the extended warranty with BB? Lowe’s gave us a loaner fridge when our Samsung conked out. It was a pain, because it was sitting in our already small kitchen next to the dead Samsung, but at least we had something.