Recommend a reversible glue for sticking plastic to metal

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Caduceus

Recommend a reversible glue for sticking plastic to metal

Post by Caduceus » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:02 pm

I am repairing a vintage lamp with many acrylic parts that came undone from the frame. I need to stick these colorful acrylic pieces back to the brass (I am guessing it is brass) frame but would like the glue to be water soluble or at least reversible in some way without damaging either the acrylic or the brass frame should I ever need to un-glue the piece.

Can you recommend something? I've done a bit of googling but it is quite hard to figure it out.

Yooper16

Re: Recommend a reversible glue for sticking plastic to metal

Post by Yooper16 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:36 am

clear silicone caulk
Lexel

any caulk that stays flexible, generally used outdoors or around water areas, should be fine. Not going to say it will be easy-peasy to remove but they will not harden completely. Silicone may yellow a tad over time. Probaly stay away from any caulk with latex, as the latex tends to harden.

michaelingp

Post by michaelingp » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:58 am

The gold standard (in my mind) for reversible adhesive is Command strips. I don't know if they would work in your case, but if they do, and you can hide the tabs used for removal, that would be the perfect solution.

Tamales

Post by Tamales » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:20 am

If you can post a photo of the lamp, that would be helpful. Hard to guess how these pieces attach and what sort of directional strength they need.

Just guessing but if the acrylic pieces are not structural and simply need to be held in place vertically within the metal frame (sort of like pieces of stained glass within its metal outline) maybe a reversible fix would be to use some narrow (say 1/2" wide) double-sided tape at the joint. Or, if you have access to the backside, put the pieces in place and use clear packing tape from the backside to cover the piece and the joint, holding the acrylic in place. But if they are subject to heat from the bulb, unless the heat is very mild, it's going to be a challenge. Again just guessing, but if you absolutely need a liquid, you might look into hide glue (either in pre-mixed liquid form in a plastic squeeze bottle, or the dry crystals which you mix up in a hot pot). It is reversible with hot water. However, I don't know for sure if it bonds metal and acrylic.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:50 am

Yooper16 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:36 am
clear silicone caulk
Lexel

any caulk that stays flexible, generally used outdoors or around water areas, should be fine. Not going to say it will be easy-peasy to remove but they will not harden completely. Silicone may yellow a tad over time. Probaly stay away from any caulk with latex, as the latex tends to harden.
I like this idea.

Ged

Post by Ged » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:00 am

The things that would reverse a glue I know of would likely damage acrylic.

I'd try silicone adhesive. It's soft and not abrasion resistant so it can be removed by rubbing. It would be pretty tedious though if the thing being glued is complex or large.

flossy21

Post by flossy21 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:02 am

Check out Loctite's "Product Advisor" website...

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/product_ ... ndex.shtml

You should be able to find a product there that fits your application.

onthecusp

Post by onthecusp » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:16 am

Rubber cement may work if the surfaces are mostly flat. It is not so strong that you could not pry it off then the cement will just rub off.

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:21 am

sunny_socal wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:50 am
Yooper16 wrote:
clear silicone caulk
Lexel

I like this idea.
Very similar but even better is a product called GOOP. Its a clear adhesive that comes in a standard size glue tube and sticks to anything.. strays rubbery and sets up faster than lexel caulk.

Yooper16

Post by Yooper16 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:22 am

jharkin wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:21 am
sunny_socal wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:50 am
Yooper16 wrote:
clear silicone caulk
Lexel

I like this idea.
Very similar but even better is a product called GOOP. Its a clear adhesive that comes in a standard size glue tube and sticks to anything.. strays rubbery and sets up faster than lexel caulk.
Forgot about that one-----------good call :beer

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:33 am

I'd use hot glue.

You can usually just scrape it off if necessary and do-over

michaelingp

Post by michaelingp » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:34 pm

texasdiver wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:33 am
I'd use hot glue.
Excellent idea, assuming you use LED's in the lamp and it doesn't get too hot. If you use low temperature hot glue, you can just warm it up to disassemble.