What to see in Philly?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Re: What to see in Philly?

Post by oldcomputerguy » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:26 pm

legio XX wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:54 pm
OK, I left Philly well before the Rocky movies were made,
After I got back from Philadelphia last fall, I went on YouTube and dug up a video of the "Run" from Rocky 2. Quite a blast to see all those places I had just visited.
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

GetMeToRetirement

Post by GetMeToRetirement » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:11 pm

lthenderson wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:39 am
lesterburnham wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:08 am
lthenderson wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:15 am
I'm going to be in Philly in a couple weeks and have five days to kill. I just wanted to bump this thread to see if there are more suggestions. Reading Terminal is definitely on my list as well as the historic district because I'm a history buff. I'm going to be staying near the Convention center on Market street so good places to eat in that area would be appreciated.
If you want better and more interesting food than Maggiano's and Capital Grille, PM me. Outsiders think of Philly for cheesesteaks and soft pretzels but the city has an incredible and underrated restaurant scene.
Being a cheese steak fan, I definitely want to try a couple while there. From looking at Google maps, there appears to be dozens if not hundreds of very good eating places within walking distance of the Convention center area.

Right now I am trying to figure out the mass transit system to see if there are places outside of downtown that I can get to. Valley Forge comes to mind. I'm going to be on foot so if I can't do it via mass transit, I'll have to see about an Uber or similar service.
Places to visit: Liberty Bell (great location and history); Independence Hall (great location and history); Reading Terminal Market (great food and culture); Philadelphia Museum of Art/Boathouse Row/Rocky Steps (great area for walking or a bike ride - bike rental place right there); Franklin Square (fun place for kids); Betsy Ross House (if you have any special affinity for the flag); Rittenhouse Square (great relaxing Center City park flanked by mostly swanky restaurants); Sports stadiums and Xfinity live in South Philly; Italian Market (South Philly by Pats and Genos, the two most touristy cheesesteak locations).
I also highly recommend the interconnected walking path along the Delaware Riverfront. If you are in town in May, Spruce Street Harbor Park should be open by then, and that would be one of my top recommendations.
Valley Forge and Longwood Gardens are pretty far trips... recommend Uber or Lyft for those (frankly I recommend Uber/Lyft everywhere other than stops along the PATCO line, which essentially follows Market Street). Gettysburg is very far.

Cheesesteaks: Obviously this is a personal preference thing, but while Pats and Genos are good they are very touristy; Jim's, Ishkabibbles, and Steve's are probably better quality IMO.

katbert

Post by katbert » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:04 pm

I love the Mutter museum and Reading Terminal Market (RTM- note that it closes at 6pm unless there's a big show at the convention center). For history, I think it's worth going to the Liberty Bell if the wait isn't around the block because the park rangers tell their stories and it's kind of a classic. I also recommend the Rodin Museum b/c it's small and contained but pretty great. The Barnes Foundation is also super high quality and dense with art, so maybe only if you happen to feel arty (they might still be doing timed tickets so might require planning). I like the Ben Franklin Museum- there is a free outdoor portion which shows the footprint of the original house with descriptions of the rooms, and then a small indoor museum with artifacts etc. There are two additional spaces in different buildings across the courtyard that include live printing press/typesetting demos where they print copies of the Declaration of Independence etc so you can see the process.

Food recommendations: roast pork or brisket sandwich at DiNic's in RTM, pretzel variation from the Amish stand (Wed-Sat only), you'll also be next to Chinatown which has a lot of pretty good foods (I like Pho Xe Lua- choochoo train for Vietnamese, there are a lot of noodle places, the korean place on top of the food court with the lions outside, chinese bakeries and bubble tea places are pretty standard, i also like the t-swirl crepe place for dessert crepes)
mayyyybe Pizzeria Beddia (subway ride) if you go right when it opens b/c reservations are sold out (note commitment to getting a whole pizza),
South Street Barbacoa (has pretty oddball hours- look this up before you go)
Destination Dogs on Walnut St is walkable- I personally like the Conquistadog,
Green Eggs Cafe also walkable-13th & Locust for a weekday breakfast/lunch (has very Large Portions, weekends are super crowded after 9:30am)

While in the historic district, look at the Bourse across the street for food for many options (Freebyrd was pretty good, I don't recommend the baby burger spot or the dumpling place as being hipster overpriced)

FYI Philadelphia History Museum appears to be currently closed according to their website.

IowaFarmBoy

Post by IowaFarmBoy » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:53 am

If you are into offbeat, sometimes grotesque, medical stuff check out the Mutter Museum.
http://muttermuseum.org/

NCSU1980

Post by NCSU1980 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:34 am

Hockey10 wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:10 pm
Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell. That is where our country got started and is definitely worth a visit.
If you visit Independence Hall & the Liberty Bell you are within 2 blocks of the final resting place of 5 signers of the Declaration of Independence, including Benjamin Franklin. Located at 5th and Arch Streets it is known as Christ Church Burial Ground. Enjoy your visit whatever you decide to take in!

NewInvestor328

Post by NewInvestor328 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:15 am

If you enjoy Chinese food, I highly recommend a place called Dim Sum Garden in Chinatown. Usually a line so you will want to plan for it, but the food is delicious and reasonably priced. Typically rated one of the best Chinese places in Philly.

Jim85

Post by Jim85 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:16 am

I'm from the Philly suburbs. Almost anything I'd think of has been mentioned. If you like Italian food head to South Philly. I could eat there every day. Victor Cafe, FrancoLuigis (might be closed for remodel now), Villa DiRoma (no frills, mom and pop). Plenty others see Yelp or Google. If you're a baseball fan, Citizens Bank park is very nice and the Phillies might be good this year. With 5 days you might want to venture out of town. Besides what's been mentioned, Grounds for Sculpture in Hamilton NJ near Trenton NJ is pretty cool. You could get most of the way there on mass transit (Septa), then maybe an Uber or taxi. Hard to describe, its like an outdoor museum. Great place to stroll on a on a nice spring day.

PoultryMan

Post by PoultryMan » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:23 am

Big Worm wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:42 pm
Forget all the touristy cheesesteak places.

Dalessandro's in Roxborough is the best by far!

Although Chubby's is pretty good and is right across the street and has fries.
100% true. NOBODY in philly thinks pats or Genos good. They are steak umm with cheese whiz.

As for historical sights, see independence hall or go to the art museum.

If your a doctor/physician, go to the Mutter museum.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:23 am

If you are into cars, the Simeone Museum is not to be missed. Fantastic collection of vintage race cars. It's right by the airport so makes a great stop on the way in/out (does require a car to get to though).

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:17 pm

oldcomputerguy wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:22 pm
lthenderson wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:39 am
Right now I am trying to figure out the mass transit system to see if there are places outside of downtown that I can get to.
DW and I spent a week in Philadelphia last October. The biggest challenge for me personally was figuring out the mass transit, but eventually it clicked for me. PM me if you would like to compare notes.
Thanks. According to Google, a transit station is right on the corner of the hotel. I haven't studied the maps yet to see if I can make sense of them but I still have a week to go.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:21 pm

katbert wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:04 pm
I love the Mutter museum and Reading Terminal Market (RTM- note that it closes at 6pm unless there's a big show at the convention center). For history, I think it's worth going to the Liberty Bell if the wait isn't around the block because the park rangers tell their stories and it's kind of a classic. I also recommend the Rodin Museum b/c it's small and contained but pretty great. The Barnes Foundation is also super high quality and dense with art, so maybe only if you happen to feel arty (they might still be doing timed tickets so might require planning). I like the Ben Franklin Museum- there is a free outdoor portion which shows the footprint of the original house with descriptions of the rooms, and then a small indoor museum with artifacts etc. There are two additional spaces in different buildings across the courtyard that include live printing press/typesetting demos where they print copies of the Declaration of Independence etc so you can see the process.

Food recommendations: roast pork or brisket sandwich at DiNic's in RTM, pretzel variation from the Amish stand (Wed-Sat only), you'll also be next to Chinatown which has a lot of pretty good foods (I like Pho Xe Lua- choochoo train for Vietnamese, there are a lot of noodle places, the korean place on top of the food court with the lions outside, chinese bakeries and bubble tea places are pretty standard, i also like the t-swirl crepe place for dessert crepes)
mayyyybe Pizzeria Beddia (subway ride) if you go right when it opens b/c reservations are sold out (note commitment to getting a whole pizza),
South Street Barbacoa (has pretty oddball hours- look this up before you go)
Destination Dogs on Walnut St is walkable- I personally like the Conquistadog,
Green Eggs Cafe also walkable-13th & Locust for a weekday breakfast/lunch (has very Large Portions, weekends are super crowded after 9:30am)

While in the historic district, look at the Bourse across the street for food for many options (Freebyrd was pretty good, I don't recommend the baby burger spot or the dumpling place as being hipster overpriced)

FYI Philadelphia History Museum appears to be currently closed according to their website.
Thanks for all the suggestions. Some were on my list and some will be now.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:21 pm

IowaFarmBoy wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:53 am
If you are into offbeat, sometimes grotesque, medical stuff check out the Mutter Museum.
http://muttermuseum.org/
This one is definitely on my radar mostly because I have a spouse in the industry.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:22 pm

NCSU1980 wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:34 am
Hockey10 wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:10 pm
Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell. That is where our country got started and is definitely worth a visit.
If you visit Independence Hall & the Liberty Bell you are within 2 blocks of the final resting place of 5 signers of the Declaration of Independence, including Benjamin Franklin. Located at 5th and Arch Streets it is known as Christ Church Burial Ground. Enjoy your visit whatever you decide to take in!
I have already read about Benjamin Franklin being buried there. I'm going to have to figure out the rest. I love history and visiting grave sites. Thanks for the info.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:25 pm

PoultryMan wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:23 am
Big Worm wrote:

100% true. NOBODY in philly thinks pats or Genos good. They are steak umm with cheese whiz.

This has been a real buzzkill for me to hear that Pats and Genos aren't the best and are touristy. I guess the latter one I probably would have guessed but not the former. I think I am going to reluctantly cross those off my list and go with one or more of the others mentioned in this thread. They were a bit off from my area anyway.

Kitty Telltales

Post by Kitty Telltales » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:04 pm

In memory of John C. Bogle visit the Constitution Center

https://constitutioncenter.org/in-memoriam-john-bogle

Last time I went, there was an impressive exhibition about how our rights to vote developed in America, which nicely explains all the shenanigans done in the past to try to prohibit those rights.

Then after taking a peek at the LIberty Bell and walking around the grounds of Independance Hall (sadly you may not have time for the tour) you can grab a bite at the new Wawa next door, like most locals, and head down to the river front, Penns Landing. There's a statue honoring the struggles of Irish Immigrants which brings tears each time I see it. Or instead you can talk a stroll by Ben Franklin's grave at 50 NE Mall, a stone's throw away from the Constitution Center.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:12 pm

I should mention that Philadelphia has a tourist guide: Visit Philadelphia - Official Visitor and Tourism Site

Here's the public transportation info: SEPTA | Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority

Those traveling from the airport can use the Airport line.

(I'm bumping this thread for the 2019 Bogleheads conference attendees.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:18 pm

A city with possibly more historic significance than DC itself. I’d also check out Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell, and any other historic sites from the 1700s.

Strider

Post by Strider » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:49 pm

1) If you are a classical music lover, attend a performance of the Philadelphia Orchestra, one of the world's great symphony orchestras.

2) The Wanamaker Organ, located in the grand court of the former Wanamaker department store (now Macy's Center City), is the world's largest functioning pipe organ (>28,000 pipes). It is played twice daily. The sounds will send chills down your spine.

3) Longwood Gardens, located less than one hour from Center City, is one of the America's finest conservatories.

Strider

Target2019

Post by Target2019 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:02 am

Philadelphia was laid out by Wm Penn, and all you need to know is that Broad St. runs N-S, and Market St runs E-W. They intersect at City Hall. Each is served by Septa train. Get a pass here:
http://www.septa.org/fares/pass/independence.html
Most locations are walking distance, and getting on a train is a waste of your time. You only need the train to get to stadium area. 10 blocks = 1 mile.

Day 1 - Center City. Broad & Market Streets
- Convention Center
- Reading Market
- City Hall https://www.visitphilly.com/things-to-d ... city-hall/
- Kimmel Center, Phila Orchestra, other events
- Dim Sum Garden and Chinatown

Day 2 - Independence Hall. 6th and Market Streets
- Constitution Center
- Liberty Bell
- Independence Hall
- Christ Church
- Betsy Ross

Day 3 - Art Museum Area on Ben Franklin Parkway (can't do all in one day, sorry)
- Phila MoA
- Rodin
- Barnes Museum
- Franklin Institute
- Waterworks Cafe and Schuykill, Boat House Row.
- Mutter Museum

Day 4 - Delaware Waterfront. Front St. & Market St. (lots of shorter stops for you)
- Penns Landing, etc. Look at the link. These are short walking trips https://www.visitphilly.com/articles/ph ... aterfront/
- The Irish Memorial http://www.irishmemorial.org/about/
- Phila Vietnam Vets Memorial
- Jims Steaks http://www.jimssteaks.com/
- South Street back to your hotel

Day 5 - South Philly. Foot of Broad St. Stadiums and Philly (taking the train to/fro, can fill a full day)
- https://navyyard.org/ (Chapel of the Four Chaplains, USS John F. Kennedy (CV-67), Broad St. meets the Delaware River. Mothball fleet.
- lunch or dinner https://www.amistrattoria.com/locations/bar-amis
- Philly Philly statue
- Phillies ball game
- Xfinity Live for food and drink

These are my favorites, based on 60+ years. Pats and Genos? Fuggedaboudit!

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:24 am

Glockenspiel wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:18 pm
A city with possibly more historic significance than DC itself.
Indeed, according to the tour guide on our Independence Hall tour last October, Congress in fact met there (in a nearby building) before they began meeting in DC.
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:27 am

lthenderson wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:25 pm
PoultryMan wrote:
Big Worm wrote:

This has been a real buzzkill for me to hear that Pats and Genos aren't the best and are touristy. I guess the latter one I probably would have guessed but not the former. I think I am going to reluctantly cross those off my list and go with one or more of the others mentioned in this thread. They were a bit off from my area anyway.
DW and I ate at Campos' when we were there, on the south side of Market Street about three blocks east of Independence Mall. It was okay, but I wouldn't say it was the best cheesesteak sandwich I had ever had. (Interestingly, as DW and I were outside perusing their menu, a stranger walked by behind us and said "you can do much better". I assume he was a local. :? )

D Newton

Post by D Newton » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:28 am

Philly museum of Art and barnes Museum are very good... all walking distance from one another
Reading Market ... lunch at DiNicks... get the pulled pork sandwich
Stay away from tourist cheesesteak places... JIm's on South St and 4th is best...i heard Ishkabibbles on South St is good too but havent tried it yet
Betsy Ross House interesting and of course Constitution Center...
I really liked the Eastern Penitentiary museum in Fairmont area...you can walk to this from the Barnes
Lots to do here... :sharebeer
Regards, | Doug

expatFIRE

Post by expatFIRE » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:44 am

Definitley agree with the posters above if you’re a history or movie buff.

The off the beaten path activities we enjoyed the most was the Fireman’s Hall Museum. Small and free, and you can walk down the next block’s Elfreth's Alley, the Oldest continuously occupied street in the USA.

Next, also nearby, is the United States Mint where you can watch money being made. Great for engineers and finance buffs.

CorradoJr

Post by CorradoJr » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:11 am

oldcomputerguy wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:24 am
Glockenspiel wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:18 pm
A city with possibly more historic significance than DC itself.
Indeed, according to the tour guide on our Independence Hall tour last October, Congress in fact met there (in a nearby building) before they began meeting in DC.
I am a proud Philadelphia native. Our country was founded here with the Continental (Philadelphia) Congress as early as 1774, the Declaration of Independence in 1776, and the Constitutional Convention in 1787.

Philadelphia was the nation’s capital until 1800, Washington and Adams lived in Philadelphia until occupancy in the White House was possible.

Back on topic - Try a roast pork instead of or in addition to a cheesesteak.

If you have children the Franklin Institute (a hands-on science museum) is great and near the Barnes and Museum of Art.

For shopping, the King of Prussia mall is about 25-35 mins away depending on traffic and is the largest mall by square footage in the US.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:36 am

^^^ I'm also a Phildelphia native and know the King of Prussia mall area. It used to be the largest mall in the US, but that's long gone.

It's nothing but lots of traffic with all of the usual stores you can find elsewhere. For a tourist who needs to carry stuff back home, I'd skip it.

Target2019's post (a few up from here) looks good.

For those attending the 2019 Bogleheads Conference, you won't be able to catch a Phillies game unless they make the playoffs. Don't get me started... :annoyed

However, the Flyers (hockey) and Sixers (basketball) will be in full swing. It's too early to know the schedules, but you might get lucky if they're playing at home.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

TBillT

Post by TBillT » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:01 am

if you got 5-days now you are talking things like Franklin Inst, zoo, Valley Forge, maybe Atlantic City.
Gill likes UPenn (alum?), there is a museum there. Phillies game.

KSOC

Post by KSOC » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:17 pm

I'd like to weigh in on the cheesesteak reviews. Being from the southeastern part of Pennsylvania, I've had my share of cheesesteaks, hoagies & roast pork sandwich's. I don't have any favorites. I think they are all good. I've had them at places folks say to avoid, and at places everyone raves about. In my opinion, it's the roll that makes it or breaks it. That corner of Pennsylvania knows how to make rolls. Amoroso, Liscio's, Sarcone's, Conshohocken Bakery. I'm sure there are others. If you visit Philadelphia, The Reading Terminal is foodie heaven. I've heard Philly has some historical stuff too.
Too soon old, too late smart.

zero sum guy

Post by zero sum guy » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:58 pm

Been to Philly five time in past 15 years. From a current New Yorker, and only 80 miles away, this is the best city to visit.
Need at least five days there, and I recommend a hotel in the Center City or Rittenhouse Square area.
My recommendations
1 day for the Independence Hall, Liberty Bell, and Benjamin Franklin House area. Betsy Ross House, you can ignore.
You can also walk from there to Chinatown where you can get very inexpensive lunches and dinner. This was my daily go to area for Dinner for Chinese, Japanese, Thai and Indonesian restaurants.
1-2 Days, the Museums, each will take three hours each. The Ben Franklin Parkway, on which they are located is fashioned after the Champ Elysee in Paris. Take a city bus to and from hotel to the Museums.
1 Day, in fact, everyday, go to The Reading Terminal. Great food, especially DaNics for great Italian sandwiches, and another store for great Italian deserts and go to the Amish food areas which are open every day except Sunday. FYI, Terminal is open everyday until 6 pm.
On weekends, it is wall to wall crowding.
Amish have a great bakery for cakes, breads, rolls, and pastries. Also, starting at 8 am, the Amish have the Dutch Eating Place where you get the best breakfast ever. Unfortunately, it is mostly counter seats with limited number of booths. Get there early as they get crowded fast. Amish make great pretzels and fresh ice cream. The Amish go home at 4 due to religious reasons.
1 Day, go to the Delaware River, where you can tour a 1950's US Submarine and a Spanish American era US battleship. Maybe, if you have time, you can go to South Philly and Passyunk Avenue, where people travel to Pat's, for the Philly Cheese Steak sandwich. South Philly was not much to visit too though.
Great subway, trolley and bus systems, and you can download their maps from SEPTA before you arrive.

meercat8

Post by meercat8 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:18 pm

If you are interested in art I would go to the Barnes Foundation, a fantastic collection of paintings and other art. The restaurant there is very nice. Then you could stroll down the main diagonal street 4 or 5 blocks to the "Rocky" steps of the Phila. Museum of Art if you wanted more great exhibits.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:52 am

oldcomputerguy wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:27 am
lthenderson wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:25 pm
PoultryMan wrote:
Big Worm wrote:

DW and I ate at Campos' when we were there, on the south side of Market Street about three blocks east of Independence Mall. It was okay, but I wouldn't say it was the best cheesesteak sandwich I had ever had. (Interestingly, as DW and I were outside perusing their menu, a stranger walked by behind us and said "you can do much better". I assume he was a local. :? )
Unfortunately, I am just reading this on my return from Philly, and I did stumble into Campo's one day in-between seeing the American Revolution Museum and the Constitution Center. I thought the cheese steak there to be pretty good but it wasn't the best one I had during my trip. I think that was to some place in Reading Terminal. Also, I did end up hitting Pats and Genos on my last day there. Genos had a non-cheese whiz option that was pretty good and I liked the big chunks of meat on their sandwich. Pats came with cheese whiz and I must say, I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would because it seemed the cheesiest of all the sandwiches I ate during my stay. It was messy to eat as a result. I think I ate six different cheese steaks (most of them shared to reduce calories) during my week there and I didn't have a bad one. Some were just not as good as others. All were better than the best one I can get in rural Iowa. I really liked the options of fried onions and mushrooms too.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:12 am

Back from my trip, I thought I would add a review of sorts. Thanks to everyone for their great suggestions.

Day 1: After landing and getting checked in, we had lunch at Dinics in Reading and had the roast pork sandwich. It was very good. We walked down and saw the Liberty Bell, the outside of the Betsy Ross House and a few others while waiting for our tour time of Independence Hall. The Betsy Ross house seemed like such a tourist trap from outside we just took the obligatory picture out front and by her grave and moved on. I really loved the Independence Hall tour which gave me goosebumps being in the spot of so many I admired in our past. We walked back through Chinatown for supper of Dim Sum which really hit the spot.

Day 2: On my own, I did the American Revolution Museum, lunch at Campo's and then the Constitution Center. I was disappointed with the American Revolution Museum. I guess because I had read so much of the history, the really only entertaining thing for me was looking at the period artifacts. Both museums were packed with hundreds upon hundreds of school age children on field trips which didn't help. Having to dodge screaming kids running around playing hide and go seek and tag didn't help the enjoyment level. For the price, I thought the Constitution Center to be much better and enjoyed my time there. I really liked the video displays. For supper that evening, we went south on 13th street to a nice hopping area and weaseled a table for two at Barbuzzo and had a very nice meal there.

Day 3: We spend the morning at the Mutter museum and really enjoyed it. It was packed with kids as well unfortunately so it was a tight squeeze to work through all the displays. After tasty lunch at a humus place nearby my spouse went back to her conference, I went back to north of the historic area and visited a Woodworking Art Museum that was really outstanding and also a used bookstore which is unlike any book store I have ever entered in my life. If I had eaten a bigger lunch, I wouldn't have been able to fit down the aisles! Supper was again in Chinatown at a different restaurant that we had seen before packed with chinese people. Always a good sign of quality and it was a very good meal.

Day 4: I was burnt out of all the kids of field trips and wanted to avoid them so I skipped the Franklin Institute which was on my list and instead went out to Penn Museum. Although there were tons of kids there, they were older and much quieter and more respectful so I enjoyed my visit. My only complaint was that my timing was off and a number of their exhibits on the second floor were closed for reconstruction. Picked up lunch from Lolitas next door to Barbuzzo that we had dined at earlier and ate it with spouse in our hotel. The guacamole with fried plantains and chips was outstanding. In the afternoon I headed off randomly but it poured rain so I headed back to Reading Terminal and had a fantastic cheesesteak sandwich there as a place whose name escapes me.

Day 5: It was a partial day so with the time I had, I made my way to south Philly and cheesesteak corners and got one from each of the touristy spots. I carried them back and we ate them for lunch. Although some above said they weren't the best, we found them pretty tasty and much better than any in our home area so it wasn't a wasted trip. We caught the train back to the airport and on the flight back I was seated across the aisle from a stumbling drunk lady who made the trip back home interesting for sure. Fortunately we didn't have to divert before reaching our home airport.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I enjoyed all of them and I left quite a bit on the table for my next visit.

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:36 am

There's a Bogleheads connection to The National Constitution Center.

Congress authorized the building and donated the land next to the Liberty Bell, but didn't provide any funding for its construction.

Our friend and mentor, Jack Bogle, was named Chairman. Jack raised the funds and oversaw the construction of The Center. He sat with then-President Bill Clinton at the dedication ceremony. After (I think) about seven years at the helm, raising the funds and building The Center, Jack resigned as Chairman.

The folks at The Center contacted me and asked if the Bogleheads would help raise money to honor Jack by dedicating a "Chairman John C. Bogle Room" where world leaders and others could meet to discuss things at The Center.

A number of Bogleheads responded with donations. We also decided to donate the $30,000 advance for our second book (The Bogleheads' Guide to Retirement Planning) as well as all future royalties to The Center. So, every time you or someone else purchased a copy of that book since it was first published, the royalties have been going to The National Constitution Center to honor Jack.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

investingdad

Post by investingdad » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:06 pm

PoultryMan wrote:
Big Worm wrote:

100% correct on the cheesesteaks...the stupid ordering system they invented as well.

Forget Pat and Geno. You're better off with almost ANY corner pizza and sandwich shop making cheesesteaks.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:06 pm

Don't forget the soft pretzels.

You can get a bag of them at any street corner. At least that's how I remember it.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:47 am

LadyGeek wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:06 pm
Don't forget the soft pretzels.

You can get a bag of them at any street corner. At least that's how I remember it.
I brought a bag of them home with me. Unfortunately, they played havoc getting through security at the airport and my carry-on had to be manually inspected. It was worth it though.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:17 pm

Do you remember what you paid for them (and how many in the bag)? I just curious on the latest street price.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:27 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:17 pm
Do you remember what you paid for them (and how many in the bag)? I just curious on the latest street price.
I believe I got six of them for $13. I bought them in Reading Terminal at the Amish place and they placed each one in a paper sleeve and only because I ordered six, did they put them in a bag. Everyone around me was just getting one or one of their hotdogs wrapped in a pretzel and they just put it in the paper sleeve.

Oakwood42

Post by Oakwood42 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:33 pm

Mel Lindauer wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:36 am
There's a Bogleheads connection to The National Constitution Center.

Congress authorized the building and donated the land next to the Liberty Bell, but didn't provide any funding for its construction.

Our friend and mentor, Jack Bogle, was named Chairman. Jack raised the funds and oversaw the construction of The Center. He sat with then-President Bill Clinton at the dedication ceremony. After (I think) about seven years at the helm, raising the funds and building The Center, Jack resigned as Chairman.

The folks at The Center contacted me and asked if the Bogleheads would help raise money to honor Jack by dedicating a "Chairman John C. Bogle Room" where world leaders and others could meet to discuss things at The Center.

A number of Bogleheads responded with donations. We also decided to donate the $30,000 advance for our second book (The Bogleheads' Guide to Retirement Planning) as well as all future royalties to The Center. So, every time you or someone else purchased a copy of that book since it was first published, the royalties have been going to The National Constitution Center to honor Jack.
Love it