Searching for affordable 401K provider? Guideline? Any comments or suggestions?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
ccbay58

Searching for affordable 401K provider? Guideline? Any comments or suggestions?

Post by ccbay58 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:23 am

I'm a new member to the forum and I own a small retail business looking to offer retirement savings for myself and 3 employees. I have previously offered a Simple plan but find the 401K higher contribution limits attractive, especially for me as the owner who is trying to sock it away while I can :moneybag . Guideline appears to be the only affordable option at $40/month plus $500 start up. They offer exclusively Vanguard Funds :happy , choice of 30+ and charge no additional fees other than those charged directly from Vanguard and offer the simplified Safe Harbor 401K. My concerns are that they are a new start up, can their no fee business model work in the long term, what happens if it doesn't? :confused. What should I be asking? Any insights and suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

ruralavalon

Re: Searching for affordable 401K provider? Guideline? Any comments or suggestions?

Post by ruralavalon » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:02 am

ccbay58 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:23 am
I'm a new member to the forum and I own a small retail business looking to offer retirement savings for myself and 3 employees. I have previously offered a Simple plan but find the 401K higher contribution limits attractive, especially for me as the owner who is trying to sock it away while I can :moneybag . Guideline appears to be the only affordable option at $40/month plus $500 start up. They offer exclusively Vanguard Funds :happy , choice of 30+ and charge no additional fees other than those charged directly from Vanguard and offer the simplified Safe Harbor 401K. My concerns are that they are a new start up, can their no fee business model work in the long term, what happens if it doesn't? :confused. What should I be asking? Any insights and suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Guideline is one possibility. Other small company 401k providers which have been favorably mentioned here are:
www.employeefiduciary.com; ; and
https://www2.ascensus.com/.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

smitcat

Re: Searching for affordable 401K provider? Guideline? Any comments or suggestions?

Post by smitcat » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:08 am

We have been using Employee Fiduciary for the past 3+ years and it has been running well for us - small business with about 9 persons in a safe harbor plan.