Things to do in Indiana

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Slick8503

Re: Things to do in Indiana

Post by Slick8503 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:29 pm

If you are a basketball fan or fan of the movie “Hoosiers” the “Hoosier Gym” at knightstown would be worth a visit. Did not see it mentioned.

Topic Author
jaj2276

Post by jaj2276 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:49 pm

Nova1967 wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:11 am
tainted-meat wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:20 am
Lincoln Boyhood home in Lincoln City, IN (Southern, IN) & Holiday World, Santa Claus, IN.

Others have mentioned French Lick and West Baden, IN - only 45 minutes away from these two spots.

All good options.
Whats so great about French Lick other than the fact its where Larry Bird is from?
Correct, all I knew about French Lick is the hometown of Bird. But the wife would appreciate an upscale night at the resort (+ spa) considering we tend to skew Holiday Inn Express on our other nights.

Topic Author
jaj2276

Post by jaj2276 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:51 pm

Slick8503 wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:29 pm
If you are a basketball fan or fan of the movie “Hoosiers” the “Hoosier Gym” at knightstown would be worth a visit. Did not see it mentioned.
I was just humming the tune the other day. Is the gym open to the public? Does the gym serve another purpose? I definitely want to check this out.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:17 pm

If you are going to French Lick and can fit it in, we enjoyed the French Lick Scenic Railway. Added bonus if I remember rightly is that it goes past Larry Bird’s boyhood home.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:25 pm

jaj2276 wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:51 pm
Slick8503 wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:29 pm
I was just humming the tune the other day. Is the gym open to the public? Does the gym serve another purpose? I definitely want to check this out.
See here...

http://www.thehoosiergym.com/about.html

You can answer almost any question imaginable with a Google search.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

Topic Author
jaj2276

Post by jaj2276 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:14 am

A bit late but my wife and I finished our Indiana trip. Here are our comments:

Indiana Dunes National Park - Honestly I can't see why this is a national park. Completely underwhelmed although I imagine much of that has to do with the time of year. I suppose that during the summer when it's hot out then a hike through the dunes to Lake Michigan might be nice.

Notre Dame campus - A very beautiful campus. I wished that the stadium was open.

Fair Oaks Farm - What an awesome experience! Highly, highly recommend this. Every person in America should need to go through something like this to learn how their food is made.

(Battle of) Tippecanoe - I love history and really didn't know much about this skirmish that "started" the War of 1812. I enjoyed it quite a bit although it's really not a big to do.

West Baden Springs Hotel - I "sprung" for this hotel and an upgraded room. The hotel was nice but I'm just not the type of guy that gets impressed by high-end hotels. We had a couples massage here too but that was weird because there really wasn't much of a "couples" slant to it. The pre- and post- massage festivities weren't done as a couple.

Indy Motor Speedway Museum - I'm not a gear head but I enjoyed this. I remember watching the Indy 500 with my dad back in the 80s.

Hoosier Gym - I loved seeing the inside but unfortunately there were locals (I assume) playing basketball at both ends of the hoop so I didn't get on the court.

Salt Creek Ranch - Horseback riding. It's been 10+ years since I've been and that was in New Mexico. This was a lot of fun, a 2 hr ride.

eXplore Brown County - I wanted to try zip lining. I'm not afraid of heights my wife is slightly. We took the beginner course and while that was a little boring for me it was perfect for my wife.

Conner Prairie - We attended on the first day of their spring season. This was awesome.

Exotic Feline Rescue Center - Enjoyed it but not spectacular. If I ever become serious rich I am going to support a center like this and make it even better for the cats.

In summary my wife liked this trip to Indiana better than last year's trip to Iowa/Nebraska while I was the opposite. Regardless, plenty of stuff for people to do if they find themselves in Indiana. Thanks again everyone for all your tips.

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:37 pm

Thank you for your thoughtful comments about your visit to my home state. I hope it was worth your while.
It's not what you gather, but what you scatter which tells what kind of life you have lived---Helen Walton

LMBFlorida

Post by LMBFlorida » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:35 pm

jaj2276 wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:57 pm
OP here. We aren't retired (late 30s/early 40s) but simply take 5-7 days out of the year to go and visit a state we haven't been to yet. We went to Iowa/Nebraska last year and had a great time even though a lot of the attractions weren't "world class."

Due to us closing on a house, we have to go a bit shorter this time around (normally we would do closer to 7 days). And since we're going the end of March which is considered "winter" season, some of the suggestions weren't available to us.

I think we're going to do (not necessarily in this order but flying in to O'Hare):

Exotic Feline Rescue Center
Indiana Dunes National Park
Bear Distillery/eXplore Brown County
Conner Prairie
South Bend
French Lick
Fair Oaks Farm
Tipeecanoe
Salt Creek Ranch (horseback riding)
Indianapolis
While at the Tippecanoe battlefield museum, did you take the trip to Prophets rock? As a side note, when I was an engineering student at Purdue I worked for a contstruction company that renovated the museum. This was back in the eighties. Glad you enjoyed the trip.

Topic Author
jaj2276

Post by jaj2276 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:23 am

LMBFlorida wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:35 pm

While at the Tippecanoe battlefield museum, did you take the trip to Prophets rock? As a side note, when I was an engineering student at Purdue I worked for a contstruction company that renovated the museum. This was back in the eighties. Glad you enjoyed the trip.
We did as we're big hiking fans.

Topic Author
jaj2276

Post by jaj2276 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:05 am

Forgot to mention the one unexpected thing that happened to us on this trip. We were in Bloomington and were looking for a place to eat. My wife suggested Thai (she never suggests Thai) so we went to Siam House. I lived in NYC for three years and really got in to the curries (especially Red) and everyone I've been outside of NYC hasn't come close to comparing to the flavor you find in NYC (they seem watered down everywhere else). This place was right up there with the best that NYC has to offer.

If you're in Bloomington and you like Thai curries, go to Siam House.

jeffG

Post by jeffG » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:43 pm

Shorty's in Columbus.
[/quote]

I’m impressed that somebody besides me has ever been to Shorty’s!

jeffG

Post by jeffG » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:51 pm

Nova1967 wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:11 am
tainted-meat wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:20 am
Lincoln Boyhood home in Lincoln City, IN (Southern, IN) & Holiday World, Santa Claus, IN.

Others have mentioned French Lick and West Baden, IN - only 45 minutes away from these two spots.

All good options.
Whats so great about French Lick other than the fact its where Larry Bird is from?
Until the super dome was built, French lick/ west Baden has the largest dome building in the US. Also people used to go there for the sulfur springs.

Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:34 pm

SevenBridgesRoad wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:34 am
One oddball suggestion: if you are dining in downtown Indy, you might try St. Elmo Fire Steakhouse. Great food, but be sure and order the shrimp cocktail as an appetizer. While you're waiting for yours, look around the restaurant as others start to take their first bites: dip in a shrimp, bite, "That's delic...", then the hand shoots to the upper nose and between the eyes as the horseradish hits the sinuses hard! Tears. Oh my, the pain. Then, like an addict, you take another bite...
I'd totally forgotten St. Elmo's. I was at a business meeting in downtown Indy (which was in a very cool old historic building whose name I can't recall), and went to St. Elmo's with three friends. Towards the end of dinner, we noticed Mario Andretti dining a few tables away. We told our waiter we wanted to offer to buy a drink or dessert for Mr. Andretti and his party. A few minutes later, Mario came over, thanked us for the offer, and we chatted a bit. Nice memory.

Rotarman

Post by Rotarman » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:45 am

A bunch of fantastic things said here already. I have a few suggestions that I don't think have been said yet:
-At Dunes national park there's a big speedboat that takes you to/from Chicago which can give some beautiful views of the city, especially as compared to the train.
- In Indianapolis is the country's oldest functioning pathology lab called the Indiana Medical History Museum. It's on the site of a former true insane asylum and still has tons of preserved specimens (lots of brains) of people with old timey diseases. Also outdoors they maintain a garden of traditional medicinal plants (foxglove/digoxin, Willow/aspirin, etc).

Edit: OP already went, didn't realize that post was OP. Leaving this up in case anyone else goes to Indiana.

Godzilla

Post by Godzilla » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:54 am

This too is for reference purposes. These restaurants are all longstanding institutions in their areas.

Nobody mentioned Shapiro's. Near football stadium in Indy. Get the potato pancakes.

Rathskeller in Indy. German. Old.

Lotus Garden in Greenwood. Does not look like much from the outside. Been there from early 1960s. Best eggrolls. I dont think the decor has changed since I was a kid.

Wolf's in Evansville. BBQ. Since 1920s I think. I think it's the best I have ever had.