How do you solicit 360 degree feedback?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
sksbog

How do you solicit 360 degree feedback?

Post by sksbog » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:39 pm

Hello All,

My previous work place had informal email based 360 feedback inquiries, usually done by managers and directors for their reports.
Now at new place, no one bothers with any.

I would like to use something online so that I can see the aggregate results.

Thanks

D

HawkeyePierce

Re: How do you solicit 360 degree feedback?

Post by HawkeyePierce » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:40 pm

We used to use an internally-developed tool, now we use Workday.

I'm not a fan. The interface is pretty clunky.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:44 pm

There are plenty of performance management software packages out there.

Looks like there are free ones as well (with limited options).
https://www.teamphoria.com/signup-free- ... -software/

Google searching brings up quite a few.

With all of that said, could just use Survey Monkey or some other tool, create your own and send it out. Should be free with a smaller amount of response.

samsoes

Post by samsoes » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:03 am

Sounds like bureaucratic corporate nonsense to me.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)

dcabler

Post by dcabler » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:14 am

I've worked at many companies that use them. They're used for two reasons.

1. Employee development. Usually an outside firm, contracted to your employer, has their own version of a 360. They will have you choose your manager, some number of subordinates, and some peers. I've found these to be close to useless. It's not anonymous for your manager, obviously, and he/she should have been giving you feedback all along. And if your direct reports are few, the anonymity drops. The fact that you get to choose your own list of people means you're not being exactly unbiased. Then there are the paranoid among the team who don't really think any of it is truly anonymous and either don't respond or don't give truly honest answers. What you will learn: you can't make everybody happy, but you should have already known that.
2. For promotions. At my current company, a 360 is required for the promotion process above a certain level. In this case, the manager chooses the participants for the 360. Somewhat more useful since the result has a direct bearing on your promotability. You'll still learn that you can't make everybody happy, but for promotions you'll at least know if those unhappy people think that your career shouldn't move forward.

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:41 pm

In ancient history times (about 15-20 years ago prior to my retirement) my company used them among my work team, which had a high trust atmosphere among its six or so members, boss included. We just sat around the table and gave each other feedback every year or so. Of course, the most valuable feedback was at the immediate time of the "event", both positive and negative feedback was appreciated by the more mature members of the team; the lone wolves and the high ego types ... not so much.
“Meaningless! Meaningless!” says the Teacher. Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income. This too is meaningless.

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:38 pm

sksbog wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:39 pm
Hello All,

My previous work place had informal email based 360 feedback inquiries, usually done by managers and directors for their reports.

Thanks

D
I have NEVER done this. The opinion of my boss is the ONLY opinion that matters to me. Peers, subordinates? No, never. I could not care less.

Iridium

Post by Iridium » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:08 am

Trader Joe wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:38 pm
I have NEVER done this. The opinion of my boss is the ONLY opinion that matters to me. Peers, subordinates? No, never. I could not care less.
If your boss is any good, s/he cares what your peers and subordinates think of you.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:41 am

samsoes wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:03 am
In my experience, that's exactly what it is.

I worked in two different companies that required 360 degree feedback, and in one where it was optional. All were nonsense. No real insights were ever gained. Just more burden added to the painful annual review process.

The companies without such a program, where regular, informal feedback is encouraged worked out much better, IMHO.
Last edited by JoeRetire on Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:43 am

Iridium wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:08 am
If your boss is any good, s/he cares what your peers and subordinates think of you.
Agreed. And if your boss is any good, they can get that without the need for a "360 degree feedback" program.

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:13 am

My last employer that did this paid some service to do it on the internet. The employee would get an emailed link to a site to answer "rate the person on quality X from 1 to 10" type questions and then answer some open ended ones about the employee being evaluated. After a certain date, everyone got their 360 degree report emailed to them.

My 3 "reviewers" were at the peer level and were selected by my manager from among probably the 20 or so people in the company that I worked with the most. Since the open-ended responses were cut and pasted verbatim into the report, based on writing styles/punctuation/word use I could very easily figure out who my reviewers were.

It was somewhat helpful as my manager at the time had this way of talking to me for 60 minutes during review periods without giving me any actionable feedback, good or bad. So it was better than nothing.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:50 am

Iridium wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:08 am
Trader Joe wrote:
duplicate post

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:52 am

Trader Joe wrote:
sksbog wrote:
Hello All,

Thanks

D

Ah the dreaded manager who is only good at managing up. If you are actually being serious instead of sarcastic, you sound like the kind of boss that most people absolutely hate to work for and who generally ruins employee motivation, initiative, and performance within a company. Better hope you are never in a position to be subject to full blown 360 reviews : )

samsoes

Post by samsoes » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:12 am

Trader Joe wrote:
sksbog wrote:
Hello All,

Thanks

D
Agree wholeheartedly. Boss' opinion is all that matters. After all, that's who determines raises, promotions, and yes, layoffs.

Anyone else's opinion is background static. I couldn't possibly care any less about those opinions.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)

samsoes

Post by samsoes » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:14 am

jabberwockOG wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:52 am
Trader Joe wrote:
sksbog wrote:
Hello All,

Thanks

D

Ah the dreaded manager who is only good at managing up. If you are actually being serious instead of sarcastic, you sound like the kind of boss that most people absolutely hate to work for and who generally ruins employee motivation, initiative, and performance within a company.
Nonsense.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:28 am

I was required to do this several times. What I learned was:
1) I had pretty good self awareness [there were no surprises]
2) My bosses didn't provide any illuminating comments
3) A disgruntled employee will bring down your scores

Tamales

Post by Tamales » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:36 am

I've had to fill something like that out in the past, and others did for me.

Since they ask for strengths, weaknesses, and areas for improvement, and you have to fill out all areas, I found I struggled with pointing out weaknesses and improvement areas (for example, report x didn't meet my standards) because it's passing judgment on a singular event, out of context. For example I don't know how many other simultaneous obligations this person had at the time, or that might have been way higher priority (especially true in megacorps, where people you work with are in completely different groups and you don't know how many other things are on their plate).

In short, if there isn't a regular pattern of a particular behavior (good or bad), I don't think it's fair to point it out as a factor in a person's performance review (and it was done "anonymously" but because you had to be specific, it was pretty easy to figure out who said what). But they never included that caveat in the instructions, and I don't think the managers who reviewed the feedback used or discarded it consistently.

In general I didn't think the process added value and often subtracted because of the faux anonymity. The process could have been improved with a better thought out form and questions, but it was left open-ended and in my view was a failure...of the HR department for letting such a loose process continue.

samsoes

Post by samsoes » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:47 am

Tamales wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:36 am
... it was left open-ended and in my view was a failure...of the HR department for letting such a loose process continue.
360's are just the HR department's attempt to justify their existence outside of open enrollment and layoff periods. Just another corporate bandwagon in which the trendy wheels always fall off.

EdNorton

Post by EdNorton » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:51 am

Only thing worse is self evaluations and goal setting. Paste and copy from prior year.
Outside a dog, a book is man's best friend, inside a dog, it's too dark to read - Groucho

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:15 am

stan1 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:28 am
I was required to do this several times. What I learned was:
1) I had pretty good self awareness [there were no surprises]
2) My bosses didn't provide any illuminating comments
3) A disgruntled employee will bring down your scores
It is true that one or a couple of unhappy employees will bring down a manager's 360 average but a good upline manager will know that their managers cannot make everyone on the team happy and still run a competitive profitable business.

What we looked for in the feedback from someone's teams were hopefully a manager getting mostly good to excellent reviews and ratings and we tended to drop out the anomalous high and low ratings.

it was a shock for some managers who got mostly terrible reviews and there was a process in place to assist that person in mitigating and addressing concerns over the next review period.

360 feedback isn't perfect and has it downsides but in general is another datapoint in terms of how the organization is doing. I did work for one company where 360 feedback was discontinued and most non management employees missed the ability to provide feedback on their direct and upline managers.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:55 am

samsoes wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:03 am
It totally is. No matter where you are, your 'performance' is really determined by the following factors:
- How long you've been there. Noobs are at the bottom of the food chain. Fact.
- Your connections. Just like banks, no one will stick their neck out for someone they don't know.
- Lack of mistakes. You don't have to be good, but you can't be terrible.