Comparing mid-size SUVs for towing -- Hyundai vs Kia leading

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
tibbitts

Re: Comparing mid-size SUVs for towing -- Hyundai vs Kia leading

Post by tibbitts » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:51 pm

spammagnet wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:50 pm
DebiT wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:13 pm
The one unknown at this point is the whole trailer hitch hook up / unhook thing. That I don't know. That's something I would have to check out on the models I start looking at, and see what sort of assistive ideas there are for that. I'm 61, pretty strong, but that one I do not know.
Depending on the weight of the trailer you may need/benefit from a sway bar and weight distributing hitch. Those can have quite a bit of tension and maybe require some strength to engage. There are various designs, some of which are easier to engage than others. If you need one, get hands-on demos from a trailer dealer before deciding which you choose. You probably can find videos on YouTube, as well.

There are many web forums like Bogleheads dedicated to different RV manufacturers. In my experience, participants there are knowledgeable and want to help. A few hold strong opinions and don't hesitate to share them, but they're in the minority (as is true here.)
Typically raising the tongue with the electric jack will unload the spring bars for installation or removal. Still, the hitch head is somewhat heavy, and messy (they require frequent greasing on exposed surfaces, and you usually end up with some of that on yourself.)

researcher

Post by researcher » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:58 am

tibbitts wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:51 pm
spammagnet wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:50 pm
Depending on the weight of the trailer you may need/benefit from a sway bar and weight distributing hitch. Those can have quite a bit of tension and maybe require some strength to engage. There are various designs, some of which are easier to engage than others. If you need one, get hands-on demos from a trailer dealer before deciding which you choose.
Typically raising the tongue with the electric jack will unload the spring bars for installation or removal. Still, the hitch head is somewhat heavy, and messy (they require frequent greasing on exposed surfaces, and you usually end up with some of that on yourself.)
These responses are not relevant to the OP.

She is considering a very lightweight Casita-style camper. They do NOT require weight distribution systems.

Take a look at their website. It shows the trailer being pulled with just a standard hitch by a Jeep Liberty, Honda Pilot, Tesla, ect.
https://casitatraveltrailers.com/

Tamales

Post by Tamales » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:55 am

The OP might also check into the new 2020 Kia Telluride (lots of youtube reviews; all seem to give it high ratings, which is rare). Started showing up at dealers about a month ago. Designed at Kia's California design center, built in Georgia. 5000 lb tow capacity is alleged. Standard caveats for first year of new model, but not all first year models have a horrible history, and it's not like Kia has no SUV history to pull from. Hyundai will be releasing this summer its related SUV built on the same platform, called the Palisade. Also a new 2020 Toyota Highlander is slated to be revealed this week at the NY auto show.

Rajsx

Post by Rajsx » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:27 am

I had a Escape Trailer 17B', a self contained unit, many including me think it is a better built & a quality Fiberglass Trailer. I towed it with a Highlander which towed it fine over the mountain passes & the Highlander is not a bad vehicle for my daily use in the city.

After comparing the Scamp & Casita I bought a Escape Trailer, made in British Columbia, Canada. After calculating the Exchange rate of a US $ to a Canadian $, the purchase price may not be much different than buying a Casita. You need to look at EscapeTrailers.com & its Forum EscapeForum.org also before making a decision on the Trailer. It has a red hot used sale market & they usually sell within a few days on the market.

The quality/reliability issues of Chrysler were a concern & in general Toyotas have served us well.

Lots of good information from other posters, here are my 2 cents
We do not stop laughing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop laughing !!

DeadLoad

Post by DeadLoad » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:05 am

If you go the Kia route, I would buy new for the warranty. I took our 2014 Forte with 66,000 miles to Kia on Friday for its 65k service. It has been serviced regularly at Kia since my wife bought it new. Guess who’s in a rental on Kia’s dime until the engine replacement is finished...

Never thought the warranty would ever be used. I was shocked when they called me 2 hours after I dropped it off and they told me what they were doing. At least they stand by their warranty and I haven’t had to fight for a thing.