Buying nightguards (teeth grinding)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Tamarind

Re: Buying nightguards (teeth grinding)

Post by Tamarind » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:41 am

dbr wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:20 pm
captpete wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:14 pm
I use one that I got from walmart for sports it's just a mouth piece that you put in hot water then fit it to your mouth. They cost $2.00 and last 5 years. You'll grind though it eventually but it will take a while.
Right, that is the kind of device I would never be able to wear through a night. There wouldn't be any grinding because I would never be asleep. Eventually I will need to invest the money to find out if the dentist made one actually works.
I can only seldom sleep wearing the dentist-made one either. My dentist also grinds her teeth and says it took her months to learn to sleep with hers in. I'd encourage other grinders to try a wide array of cheaper ones first. If you can sleep with most of the harder thermoplastic ones, then go to the dentist and spend the money.

One tip: my dentist offers free fit adjustments to night guards that she made. Yours might do the same. Really handy if your teeth shift and cause a fitted guard to pinch.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:30 pm

I recently started wearing mine more. Dentist made. At first I found it uncomfortable but now I’m used to it. It does seem to cut down on some of the gum pain I was having. My wife uses one too. Also they seem to somewhat mute snoring oddly enough for both of us.

furikake

Post by furikake » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:23 pm

If you're getting one from your dentist, make sure you do NOT get one that's called NTI. A bad dentist a few years ago told me I needed one and sold me one, and I wore that for like 6-8 months, and my front teeth no longer touched. I went to another dentist, she told me to stop NTI right away, she had another patient who wore it for years and only his back 2 molars could touch, no other teeth could touch anymore. He went to an orthodontist, and that ortho said it would cost $6k, 3 years in braces, and he might still need jaw surgery to correct the problem.

Not only that NTI created an open bite problem for me, my teeth no longer aligned, and I also started having jaw cramping problem. Since I stopped wearing the NTI, my teeth moved back some, but not all the way, my bite was still very wrong. I went to an orthodontist and now I'm in Invisalign. Not fun. Don't make the same mistake I did by trusting that crappy dentist with the NTI night guard!

Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:25 pm

I tried a drug store boil and bite and it was comfortable, but not quite tight as I would have expected. I ordered the "most popular" one from teethnightguard.com. It is about the same thickness as the drug store ones, but much less flimsy and it is very snug fitting. Like a glove. Super easy process to take the impression and send back. Had my guard about 2 weeks after ordering initially. They send you an impression kit, you send it back, they make your guard and send it to you.

Their customer support was outstanding. Joe handles the emails. He answered all of my questions and even told me he recommends waiting on a guard until after I had a cavity filled. I was able to send a picture of my impression and he said it was perfect and would work. Highly recommended.

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:40 pm

coffeehubcap wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:02 pm
Has anyone had a good experience buying teeth grinding nightguards on line? I purchased my last guard from my dentist for $500, but that was years ago.
Tried one that was recommended by my dentist for one night. Tossed it in the trash the following morning.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:12 pm

Maybe this is a crazy question, but I've seen mouth guards that supposedly cut down on snoring. I have been told by my dentist 'I grind my teeth and should wear a night guard but haven't done it yet. I am wondering if a guard to prevent grinding can help with snoring or if such a device exists that can help with grinding and snoring.

sbrooks32

Post by sbrooks32 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:57 pm

michaeljc70 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:12 pm
Maybe this is a crazy question, but I've seen mouth guards that supposedly cut down on snoring. I have been told by my dentist 'I grind my teeth and should wear a night guard but haven't done it yet. I am wondering if a guard to prevent grinding can help with snoring or if such a device exists that can help with grinding and snoring.
Don't wait... Get one now. You will adjust to it within a week or so. I didn't listen to my dentist in my early 20s... started cracking teeth in my late 30s. Now I have two implants... They are great, but it takes a long time to get through that process and it cost $$$$.

Hillview

Post by Hillview » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:36 pm

I have one from my dentist it was about 400 and I love it

Kennedy

Post by Kennedy » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:47 pm

My teeth are sore in the morning after wearing the mouthguard purchased from my dentist. It's a custom made, two part (upper and lower) device. They do not hook together. The dentist said the ones that only fit the top or bottom are ineffective since the patient just grinds the back part of the teeth together. This one has a small piece that hangs down from the front of the upper teeth that prevents the back molars from touching.

My teeth feel slightly loose in the morning. As much as I want to wear them, with both uppers and lowers, it's such a mouth full that I threw them in a drawer.

Has anyone tried the upper and lower version? Does the soreness felt in the morning go away? My dentist was vague on that and just said I would get used to it. I don't want to mess with my bite.

TexasPE

Post by TexasPE » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:55 pm

Don't wait... Get one now. You will adjust to it within a week or so.
+1

My dentist told me to put the mouth guard in when I came home from work and wear it until bed time, then take it out. Did this for several days, then tried it out overnight. Slept like a baby! :mrgreen:
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill

Raymond

Post by Raymond » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:52 pm

If you're having problems with teeth grinding and snoring, you might consider the possibility of sleep apnea:

"The Link Between Sleep Apnea and Teeth Grinding" - National Sleep Foundation
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:12 pm

My husband used to have one, we paid $900, he wore them out, he is not wearing them now because it causes him jaw pain.
To reduce snoring, he walks or exercises at least twice daily, especially after dinner, the snoring has significantly reduced.

Summit111

Post by Summit111 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:30 pm

I’ve used Plackers Grind No More from Amazon for the last 2 years with great results...My dentist has no objections...

https://www.amazon.com/Plackers-Grind-N ... way&sr=8-4

atdharris

Post by atdharris » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:44 am

Summit111 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:30 pm
I’ve used Plackers Grind No More from Amazon for the last 2 years with great results...My dentist has no objections...

My dentist recommended the same thing for me. I've had no issues with them. The package says they last 3 days, but I get far more use out of them than that.

Kennedy

Post by Kennedy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:12 pm

Summit111 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:30 pm

I ordered the Plackers guards after reading your post. Wore it last night for the first time. It was actually pretty comfortable, and it did not cause me gum pain like my dentist-made night guard.

Unfortunately, I woke with terrible ear pain in both ears (first time ever). It also felt as if my bite wasn't aligned properly for the first 30 minutes after removing it in the morning. Not sure I want to give it another try... I was really hoping this product would work.

FoolMeOnce

Post by FoolMeOnce » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:41 pm

This one is much slimmer (and harder) than the bulky soft ones mentioned up thread (in 2017, if you didn't notice...). Does not cover your gums, either.

Worth a try before paying several hundred dollars.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00NBU4Q ... asin_title