International broker for index funds?

For investors outside the US. Personal investments, personal finance, investing news and theory.
Sister forums: Canada, Spain (en español)
---------------
Topic Author
adrihead

International broker for index funds?

Post by adrihead » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:51 pm

Hello people,

I am currently residing in the UK and I want to start investing in index funds. As a Boglehead, I feel attracted to invest in the famous index funds offered by Vanguard. However, my job contract in the UK lasts for 3 years, and after that I don't know where life might take me (I come originally from Spain). As Vanguard can only offer its services to people residing in the UK and a somewhat short list of selected countries around the world, I am afraid that maybe after three years I'll need to sell my Vanguard portfolio and start with a new broker in a new country. Is there an international broker that offers index funds and in which you can invest no matter the country you're residing?

Cheers,
adrihead

Re: International broker for index funds?

Post by 123 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:20 pm

The variations in tax treatment of investments by various countries will continually complicate your situation. There is no easy answer to that.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

Maple

Post by Maple » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:21 pm

Interactive Brokers accepts clients from most countries and will enable you to purchase index ETFs offered by the best companies such as Vanguard and iShares.

DJN

Post by DJN » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:12 pm

Hi,
sounds like you have a good idea about your general direction. If you haven't already read whats available on Wiki I would suggest that you start by going over the EU investors pages. There are a couple of boglehead suggested ETF's portfolios given there:https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/EU_investing one for accumulating and one for distributing. If I was going to be in the UK for at least three years then I would consider getting an ISA wrapper to avail of the tax treatment. You can always either keep the ISA or sell and transfer if you do leave, you never know if you will maybe end up staying in the UK for longer. (Vanguard do neat ISA's in the UK).
In addition to Interactive Brokers there is also : Internaxx, deGiro and Saxo available for "cross border" investors.
DJN

Topic Author
adrihead

Post by adrihead » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:29 pm

DJN wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:12 pm
Hi,
sounds like you have a good idea about your general direction. If you haven't already read whats available on Wiki I would suggest that you start by going over the EU investors pages. There are a couple of boglehead suggested ETF's portfolios given there:https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/EU_investing one for accumulating and one for distributing. If I was going to be in the UK for at least three years then I would consider getting an ISA wrapper to avail of the tax treatment. You can always either keep the ISA or sell and transfer if you do leave, you never know if you will maybe end up staying in the UK for longer. (Vanguard do neat ISA's in the UK).
In addition to Interactive Brokers there is also : Internaxx, deGiro and Saxo available for "cross border" investors.
DJN
Thanks a lot for the information, I will take a look at that. If you open an ISA with Vanguard UK, are you allowed to keep that account and keep on investing through a UK bank current account once you leave the UK? Would that be considered illegal somehow?

QuantOfAsia

Post by QuantOfAsia » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:27 pm

The two best "global brokers" I've found so far are Interactive Brokers and Saxo, both of which can open accounts for residents of many different countries, and both of which give access to Vanguard and other index ETFs listed in London and other exchanges. Saxo's 12bp custody is enough to steer the most cost-conscious index investors towards Interactive, but that's the biggest difference in that regard.

Always looking for more platforms / options as well!