2019 BOGLEHEADS CONFERENCE REGISTRATION IS CLOSED. WAIT LIST IS AVAILABLE.

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
cherijoh

Re: 2019 BOGLEHEADS CONFERENCE REGISTRATION IS OPEN ANNOUNCEMENT

Post by cherijoh » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:30 am

Mel Lindauer wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:47 am
Hello Everyone:

WE'RE SOLD OUT AND REGISTRATIONS IS CLOSED.
Now I'm glad I had too much caffeine yesterday and was browsing Bogleheads before going to bed. :wink:

I got in just under the wire, after Mel posted his "90% full" message last night.

crspelln

Post by crspelln » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:36 am

Hi Mel, thank you and your team for setting up this conference. This is my first conference and I am looking forward to the expert panel and other discussions. Is there a way to network with other attendees before the conference in order to find out if we have similar financial interests or live in the same area? The sole purpose is to get to know a few of the attendees since I may not know anyone since this is my first conference.
Carl Spellman | carlspellman4@gmail.com

rosemary11

Post by rosemary11 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:51 am

I would like to be on the waiting list

cherijoh

Re: 2019 BOGLEHEADS CONFERENCE REGISTRATION OPEN ANNOUNCEMENT

Post by cherijoh » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:16 pm

Mel Lindauer wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:30 pm
ABQ4804 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:59 pm
Wovenhearts, you will probably want a rental car to make best use of your time. I sent you a PM
Agree that you'll want a car to get around. Some of those neat places mentioned are in the suburbs.
I expect that I'm going to be driving in and have booked the Conference hotel starting Tuesday night. (This presumes my brother in MD invites me to stay with him, since it is too long a drive for me to do in one day!) I've previously done downtown Philly, but definitely want to do Longwood Gardens - which I missed the last time since I didn't have a car. If anyone would like to join me touring the gardens Wed morning before the conference, please PM me. I can comfortably take 3 passengers, 4 if we squeeze.

Sola Scriptura

Post by Sola Scriptura » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:58 pm

I would like to be placed on the waiting list, please: myself and one guest.

I was out of town on a business trip yesterday, and was unable to be on the forum, so regrettably, I missed the announcement.
Last edited by Sola Scriptura on Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:06 pm

crspelln wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:36 am
Hi Mel, thank you and your team for setting up this conference. This is my first conference and I am looking forward to the expert panel and other discussions. Is there a way to network with other attendees before the conference in order to find out if we have similar financial interests or live in the same area? The sole purpose is to get to know a few of the attendees since I may not know anyone since this is my first conference.
For privacy reasons, we don't share info about attendees. Perhaps one of the folks who is registered might see your message and contact you via PM.

For security reasons, please don't mention the name of the Conference venue or give any location information about the Conference on this forum or in any public web site.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:18 pm

dodecahedron wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:15 am
Mel Lindauer wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:36 am
jwillis77373 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:14 am

I hope Christine Benz and Rick Ferri can also get to attend, they always light up the room.

And, yes, both Rick Ferri and Christine Benz will be attending again this year.

See you in Philly in October!

Mel
Any chance that Jason Zweig will be able to attend this year? My one big regret about not signing up last year was missing the chance to meet him. I am a huge fan, as was my late husband.
Jason has a standing invitation. Problem is, his column in the WSJ runs on the weekends, so he's working on his column and making last-minute changes on the same days that our Conference is going on. Fortunately, last year he got to come because he was doing a story on us.

Jason was a Senior Writer for Money Magazine when he and a photographer covered our second Conference. He did a great story with lots of photos (i think it ran about five or six pages) called "Here Come the Bogleheads". You can still find that column by googling that title.

Jason is one of the "good guys" and a real Bogleheads favorite.

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:35 pm

Mel Lindauer wrote:
dodecahedron wrote: Any chance that Jason Zweig will be able to attend this year? My one big regret about not signing up last year was missing the chance to meet him. I am a huge fan, as was my late husband.
Jason has a standing invitation. Problem is, his column in the WSJ runs on the weekends, so he's working on his column and making last-minute changes on the same days that our Conference is going on. Fortunately, last year he got to come because he was doing a story on us.

Jason was a Senior Writer for Money Magazine when he and a photographer covered our second Conference. He did a great story with lots of photos (i think it ran about five or six pages) called "Here Come the Bogleheads". You can still find that column by googling that title.

Jason is one of the "good guys" and a real Bogleheads favorite.
Here are the links to Jason's article "Here Come the Bogleheads" from Money Magazine, Sept. 2001. (I have an original edition of the magazine and Jason kindly autographed it for me at the Conference last year :happy )

In September 2001, Jason was the opening night speaker at the Bogleheads Conference (back when we were called Vanguard Diehards) and this article he wrote is possibly the first article written about us on the "national stage" - we certainly have grown since then :D

http://jasonzweig.com/a-golden-oldie/9-01bogleheads1/
http://jasonzweig.com/a-golden-oldie/9-01bogleheads2/
http://jasonzweig.com/a-golden-oldie/

saddle_tramp

Post by saddle_tramp » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:39 pm

Looking forward to my first BH conference. I am humbled to be meeting with the financial braintrust who have been my investing guides over the years. I am sorry I won't be able to meet Jack Bogle in person but I am glad I will be there to help honor his legacy.

Thanks Mel and team for pulling this together year after year.

Springskier

Post by Springskier » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:52 pm

I would like to be on the waitlist plus 1.

Thank you

BillyG

Post by BillyG » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:12 pm

SGM wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:06 pm
Clemson football coach Dabo Swinney quote reminds me of the inner glow of Jack Bogle... Let the light that shines in you be brighter than the light that shines on you.
That's right on target! I am registered and hope to see you this year, Sam.

Cheers,
Billy

SGM

Post by SGM » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:02 pm

BillyG wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:12 pm
SGM wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:06 pm
Clemson football coach Dabo Swinney quote reminds me of the inner glow of Jack Bogle... Let the light that shines in you be brighter than the light that shines on you.
That's right on target! I am registered and hope to see you this year, Sam.

Cheers,
Billy
Glad you registered. I will see you there Billy. Best wishes.

OregonDucksFan

Post by OregonDucksFan » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:38 pm

Please add me to the waitlist. Thanks

Boglefan58

Post by Boglefan58 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:10 pm

Please add me to the wait list.

Thank you.

CedarWaxWing

Post by CedarWaxWing » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:24 am

Please add me to the list.

car733

Post by car733 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:48 am

I would like to be added to the waiting list!

yvette

Post by yvette » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:54 am

Please add Jim & I to the wait list. Thank you!

Judkinsleft

Post by Judkinsleft » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:49 pm

I would like to be added to the waitlist. Thank you

ThisJustIn

Post by ThisJustIn » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:29 pm

I would like to be added to waitlist.

ThisJustIn

Post by ThisJustIn » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:32 pm

I just realized that the announcement was done on thursday, and registration is closed on friday. I'm truly amazed and surprised.

Is there a way I can subscribe to Bogleheads conference announcements earlier, so I can sign up on time? I ended up in the waitlist.

Also, does Bogleheads Conference happen at a certain time during the year, in which case I can add a reminder in my calendar to look for Bogleheads conference announcements?

Thanks.

DetroitMetal

Post by DetroitMetal » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:18 pm

I would like to be added to the waitlist, please. Thank you!

ailulu

Post by ailulu » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:52 pm

add me to the waitlist, please!

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:15 pm

Please add me to the wait list.
Mahalo
jim

imfocusedman

Re: 2019 BOGLEHEADS CONFERENCE REGISTRATION IS CLOSED. WAIT LIST IS AVAILABLE.

Post by imfocusedman » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:25 pm

Please add me to the waitlist. Don’t know how I missed this!

nexesn

Post by nexesn » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:51 pm

Please add me and one other to the waitlist.

MMMsentMe

Post by MMMsentMe » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:23 pm

Add me to the waiting list as well. Thanks.

NoviceInvestor22

Post by NoviceInvestor22 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:37 pm

Congrats to all that are attending! You are in for an amazing time. Please add Vince and myself to the waiting list.

Thank you,
Priscilla

Luckywon

Post by Luckywon » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:40 am

Please put me on the waiting list. Thank you!

Learning101

Post by Learning101 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:29 am

The wine part sounds good!

Have a great time. :happy

Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:16 pm

ThisJustIn wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:32 pm
I just realized that the announcement was done on thursday, and registration is closed on friday. I'm truly amazed and surprised.

Is there a way I can subscribe to Bogleheads conference announcements earlier, so I can sign up on time? I ended up in the waitlist.

Also, does Bogleheads Conference happen at a certain time during the year, in which case I can add a reminder in my calendar to look for Bogleheads conference announcements?

Thanks.
Not sure why you're amazed and surprised since we sell out shortly after I make the announcement each year. If you read my announcement, you'll see the warning to respond promptly or get shut out. That's a fact; it's not a sales pitch. Here's what it said:
Our previous Conferences were sold out within a few hours, so we suggest you not delay in registering and making your payment. Due to the size of our venue, our maximum attendance is limited
I announced the Conference dates some time ago here on the forum. And I tried to update that thread to let folks know approximately when to expect my announcement.

Normally the Conference is held in October and the announcement is made in late Feb. or early March. It was later than usual this year due to a death in one of my key registration team member's family.

Hope that helps.

ThisJustIn

Post by ThisJustIn » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:53 pm

Mel Lindauer wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:16 pm
ThisJustIn wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:32 pm

Thanks.
Not sure why you're amazed and surprised since we sell out shortly after I make the announcement each year. If you read my announcement, you'll see the warning to respond promptly or get shut out. That's a fact; it's not a sales pitch. Here's what it said:
Our previous Conferences were sold out within a few hours, so we suggest you not delay in registering and making your payment. Due to the size of our venue, our maximum attendance is limited
I announced the Conference dates some time ago here on the forum. And I tried to update that thread to let folks know approximately when to expect my announcement.

Normally the Conference is held in October and the announcement is made in late Feb. or early March. It was later than usual this year due to a death in one of my key registration team member's family.

Hope that helps.
Thank you for clarification. I read the description again, this is totally my bad, first time having these personal finance conferences in my radar. I just added a yearly reminder in my calendar now, to remind me to look for Bogleheads conference announcement. Thanks.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:11 pm

Mel Lindauer wrote:
Hi Mel,

This will be my 13th Bogleheads conference. My first one was in 2007, and I have not missed any conferences since then. For me, its value extends beyond learning new financial information to reuniting with my friends and making new friends. In addition to the planned conference activities, I got some of the best ideas from fellow Bogleheads during late nights at the hotel bar and train rides back to Philadelphia.

As the number of people who have been to at least one conference grows every year, so does the number of people who want to come to the next one. And so I expect that the registration period will be getting ever shorter.

Mel, I am eternally grateful to you and your team for organizing this event. My warmest regards to the team member who had a death in the family.

See you all in October,
Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Not Jacob Fugger

Post by Not Jacob Fugger » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:17 pm

Please add me. Thanks!

Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:13 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:11 pm
Mel Lindauer wrote:
Hi Mel,

This will be my 13th Bogleheads conference. My first one was in 2007, and I have not missed any conferences since then. For me, its value extends beyond learning new financial information to reuniting with my friends and making new friends. In addition to the planned conference activities, I got some of the best ideas from fellow Bogleheads during late nights at the hotel bar and train rides back to Philadelphia.

As the number of people who have been to at least one conference grows every year, so does the number of people who want to come to the next one. And so I expect that the registration period will be getting ever shorter.

Mel, I am eternally grateful to you and your team for organizing this event. My warmest regards to the team member who had a death in the family.

See you all in October,
Victoria

Thanks for the kind words, Victoria. Glad to see that you'll be joining us again this year. It's always nice to see your smiling face.

Best regards,

Mel

Foredeck

Post by Foredeck » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:50 pm

Any chance the talks are live-streamed or recorded for replay on the internet?

prudent

Post by prudent » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:06 pm

yobyot

Post by yobyot » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:10 pm

Add yobyot to the waitlist, please.
Schwab won't do business with me. Read all about it: https://www.yobyot.com/category/charles-schwab/

Cantrip

Post by Cantrip » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:56 am

Add Cantrip to the waitlist please. Thank you.

boglenomics

Post by boglenomics » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:39 pm

Add boglenomics to the waitlist please! :sharebeer

Microap

Post by Microap » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:05 pm

Please add Microap and one other to the waitlist.
Thank you.