[Our account on] walmart.com Hacked - Fraudulent purchase

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Thegame14

[Our account on] walmart.com Hacked - Fraudulent purchase

Post by Thegame14 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:56 pm

Woke up Friday to a pending charge on our bank account. Apparently someone hacked DW Walmart.com account and ordered over $300 worth of stuff and paid for it using the card on file which is a visa debit card linked to our bank account. We called bank and Walmart to let them know we didn't make the purchase. Weird part is they didn't change the shipping address, it stayed as delivery to our house. We figured this is weird, what are the chances whoever hacked the account lives near us to intercept the package on our doorstep???? Anyway, we had the package re-routed to a delivery center, but I told my wife to tell them to return to sender and not take possession, but she called Walmart and they told her to return it.

She takes it to Walmart and they say it is actually not theirs but lord and taylor so they wont accept a return. So now we are left to dispute with Visa, but I am worried they will say you took delivery of the package so it isn't fraud even though we didn't want the items, cant return the items, and have no use for the items. So I am worried we will be stuck paying $300 for items we don't want, even if we can sell on ebay we wont get back $300 and even if we did Ebay and paypal fees will eat into that, so not sure what to do other than wait to hear back from Visa. How odd of a situation though? I still think Walmart should take it back if it was bought from their site.

[edited thread title to clarify it was one account, not walmart.com itself - moderator prudent]

jryan

Re: walmart.com Hacked - Fraudelent purchase

Post by jryan » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:07 pm

Perhaps the information on Walmart's Marketplace Returns page will help you resolve this issue.

Topic Author
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:12 pm

she tried to return in store and they said the label machine was not working so they couldn't do it.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:09 pm

Thegame14 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:56 pm
Woke up Friday to a pending charge on our bank account. Apparently someone hacked DW Walmart.com account and ordered over $300 worth of stuff and paid for it using the card on file which is a visa debit card linked to our bank account. We called bank and Walmart to let them know we didn't make the purchase. Weird part is they didn't change the shipping address, it stayed as delivery to our house. We figured this is weird, what are the chances whoever hacked the account lives near us to intercept the package on our doorstep???? Anyway, we had the package re-routed to a delivery center, but I told my wife to tell them to return to sender and not take possession, but she called Walmart and they told her to return it.

She takes it to Walmart and they say it is actually not theirs but lord and taylor so they wont accept a return. So now we are left to dispute with Visa, but I am worried they will say you took delivery of the package so it isn't fraud even though we didn't want the items, cant return the items, and have no use for the items. So I am worried we will be stuck paying $300 for items we don't want, even if we can sell on ebay we wont get back $300 and even if we did Ebay and paypal fees will eat into that, so not sure what to do other than wait to hear back from Visa. How odd of a situation though? I still think Walmart should take it back if it was bought from their site.
Is it possible that DW’s Walmart account used an email address and password that is also used elsewhere on some other website or service? Scammers have been accessing Walmart sites (and other stores) with login info that was reused from other (hacked) sites like Facebook and many others—- that stored password values in clear text.

One more reason not to save credit card info on store sites and be careful with saving gift card info on the sites too.

Topic Author
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:15 pm

criticalmass wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:09 pm
Thegame14 wrote:

Is it possible that DW’s Walmart account used an email address and password that is also used elsewhere on some other website or service? Scammers have been accessing Walmart sites (and other stores) with login info that was reused from other (hacked) sites like Facebook and many others—- that stored password values in clear text.

One more reason not to save credit card info on store sites and be careful with saving gift card info on the sites too.
I monitor our bank account every day to check for anything unusual and to project cash flow for the month. So I would hope I would see it as soon as anything odd happens.

TravelGeek

Re: [Our account on] walmart.com Hacked - Fraudelent purchase

Post by TravelGeek » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:33 pm

I would avoid storing debit card information on any website (or using it for purchases). Credit cards offer better protections. And if it's a rarely used merchant, I would not opt in to let them to store the card info.

Summit111

Post by Summit111 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:17 pm

Never use a debit card except for ATM withdrawals at your banks ATM...Too much risk...

Summit.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:17 pm

Thegame14 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:15 pm
criticalmass wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:09 pm
Thegame14 wrote:

I monitor our bank account every day to check for anything unusual and to project cash flow for the month. So I would hope I would see it as soon as anything odd happens.
Unfortunately by the time you see anything odd on a bank account, there is usually money missing that requires time/hassle/energy to get back. With a debit card you have the additional risk of missing money that can affect other payments (mortgage, bills, etc.) that can greatly expand the hassle footprint.

Trism

Post by Trism » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:43 pm

Summit111 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:17 pm
Never use a debit card except for ATM withdrawals at your banks ATM...Too much risk...

Summit.
This times infinity

Anon64

Post by Anon64 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:41 pm

I had the exact same thing happen to me about a week ago. Walmart account hacked and they bought a vacuum cleaner without changing the shipping address. Capital one notified me of the fraudulent charge and the order was canceled. Not sure if the hacker planned to pick the item up at my house.