If you have a debt discharged, does that mean you can get the credit agencies to remove it?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
alexcr

If you have a debt discharged, does that mean you can get the credit agencies to remove it?

Post by alexcr » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:15 pm

If you have a debt discharged and have a 1099-C as evidence of this, does that mean you can get the credit agencies to remove this debt from your credit history/reports, thus improving your credit score?

8foot7

Re: If you have a debt discharged, does that mean you can get the credit agencies to remove it?

Post by 8foot7 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:17 pm

No, generally not.

Meaty

Re: If you have a debt discharged, does that mean you can get the credit agencies to remove it?

Post by Meaty » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:47 pm

No. Sorry
"Discipline equals Freedom" - Jocko Willink

billfromct

Post by billfromct » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:15 pm

I believe that discharged debt is taxable income. You may want to check "the Google".

I think that discharged housing debt during the Great Recession was not counted as income but I think that was a temporary act of Congress & don't know if that law was extended.

bill