Ingenious Way To Find Reasonably Priced Painter

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
DTalos

Re: Ingenious Way To Find Reasonably Priced Painter

Post by DTalos » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:23 pm

leeks wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:42 am
DTalos wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:40 pm
Yes, I have asked neighbors for recommendations and either the bids were too high or the bids were higher than what my neighbors paid for the exact same tract house, despite me having done most of the prep work. I don't like to be price discriminated against. Is there an ingenious way to find a reasonably priced painter? I come across to the painters as pleasant but somewhat informed and educated.
Did you try negotiating the price?
Yes and they reply "that's my best price."

Topic Author
DTalos

Post by DTalos » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:31 pm

pennywise wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:10 am
DTalos wrote:
I come across to the painters as pleasant but somewhat informed and educated.
Hmm, sounds like that is what you believe--I surmise that you may actually come across to painters as one of 'those' customers: a know it all guy who wants to nickel and dime them on a job. You bring in a painter and say no, prep work is all finished, I took care of that myself. And no, I'm buying my own paint. I know all about painting so I just want you to come in and finish off my half done work while I keep an eye on you.

So here's the deal: I want a cheaper price than what my neighbor Bob paid-I checked so I know all about your rates. You'll be using paint you didn't select that you don't know the quality of, at a rate that eliminates any mark up for you on that. You are finishing up the job based on prep that you didn't do so you can't vouch for the quality of the most important part of the job.

Nope, can't imagine why painters aren't leaping to sign that contract :wink:

Which is to say the truism that you pay in either time or money is a truism for a reason. Skilled tradesmen do work that customers don't want or are not skilled enough to do and they get paid for their labor, their skill and their materials.

You are trying to hire out the section that is probably the least remunerative. As others have said, a good painter is going to presume that if the paint starts to peel in 6 months you will be complaining even though it will most likely be due to prep you did or if the paint fades in a year you will also complain even though it will most likely be due to the paint you bought.

Choice is clear: time or money. You can find and pay a good painter what is bid, or finish the job yourself.

Everyone in my HOA must use the same brand paint. The reason why I decided to do a lot of the prep would that I can reach without a latter is that I have observed recently painted houses that have stucco cracks. Obviously the painter did a poor prep job and I am a detail oriented person and want to make sure the prep is done right.

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:24 pm

DTalos wrote:
Yes, I have asked neighbors for recommendations and either the bids were too high or the bids were higher than what my neighbors paid for the exact same tract house, despite me having done most of the prep work. I don't like to be price discriminated against. Is there an ingenious way to find a reasonably priced painter? I come across to the painters as pleasant but somewhat informed and educated.
Craiglist. Go with those with a contractors license.

InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:44 am

DTalos wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:50 pm

When the house was last painted, a decade ago, the painter was impressed with my prep work and have me a discount for it :happy
10 years ago, the home owner was in the driver's seat - contractors were hungry for work during the Great Recession.
Contractors in my area generally have plenty of work right now. They can pick and choose the work that they do, and can set the price, too.

I often ask my hair stylist for referrals - she doesn't always know all fields of labor, but she's been the source of many. She likes to have a stylish home, so she often knows a contractor (landscape, remodeling, etc) and the dentist she recommended has been amazing. Think about it: she talks to 8-10 people a day, 4 days a week. She gets lots of info in that time.

Topic Author
DTalos

Post by DTalos » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:27 am

A new painter has been painting a couple houses in my neighborhood and the people that have used him are satisfied. I know what these people paid the painter and their houses are exactly like mine. I have not asked this painter for a quote yet. I know this might be a difficult question to answer, but how much less on a percentage basis should my house cost to paint, since I did 90% of the prep work. By prep work, I mean filling in cracks and holes in stucco that are within reach without a ladder? If my neighbors paid $3000, what should I pay considering the prep work I have done? If the painter quotes me $3000, how should I respond?

onourway

Post by onourway » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:59 am

I am still confused how you can say you don’t have the equipment or expertise to do the painting, while simultaneously being certain that you’ve done 90% of the prep work already, and done it better than the painters would have?

As others have said, having to paint over your prep work is a big liability for them, as it is the prep work, not the laying down of the paint, that defines how long the paint lasts and how good it looks. I would change your tactic in dealing with the painters. Tell them that you were intending to do it yourself but you no longer have the time and would like a quote to finish the job. Be willing to let them make an assessment of the quality of your work and what they believe still needs to be done.

Topic Author
DTalos

Post by DTalos » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:35 am

onourway wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:59 am
I am still confused how you can say you don’t have the equipment or expertise to do the painting, while simultaneously being certain that you’ve done 90% of the prep work already, and done it better than the painters would have?

As others have said, having to paint over your prep work is a big liability for them, as it is the prep work, not the laying down of the paint, that defines how long the paint lasts and how good it looks. I would change your tactic in dealing with the painters. Tell them that you were intending to do it yourself but you no longer have the time and would like a quote to finish the job. Be willing to let them make an assessment of the quality of your work and what they believe still needs to be done.
I do not have a sprayer, compressor, sheets to cover windows, tall ladder, etc.. I do not wish to physically undertake painting my house. My main motivation for filling in cracks and holes is because I observed houses that had been freshly painted and still had cracks and holes in stucco. I do not wish to have that end result for my house.

onourway

Post by onourway » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:59 am

DTalos wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:35 am
onourway wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:59 am

I do not have a sprayer, compressor, sheets to cover windows, tall ladder, etc.. I do not wish to physically undertake painting my house. My main motivation for filling in cracks and holes is because I observed houses that had been freshly painted and still had cracks and holes in stucco. I do not wish to have that end result for my house.
The point I was making is that you don't appear to have the expertise to decide you have done 90% of the prep work properly.

Most of the equipment you need is available for rent, and/or can be purchased for a tiny fraction of the cost of paying someone else to do it. Sell it used when finished if you don't want to store it.