[What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
stoptothink

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by stoptothink » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:25 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:07 am
Blues wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:03 am
I thought "The Killing" was decent for the most part...but it got a little out of hand. (Admittedly, it's difficult for (in this case retired) LEOs to ignore certain types of irregularities, plot holes and plain old whoppers.)
I know what you mean. As a former software developer/programmer, I frequently roll my eyes at the portrayal of savant hackers.

ETA: fwiw, I enjoyed the lead actors’ chemistry more than the plot in The Killing
As a scientist with Asperger's Syndrome, can you imagine how I feel about "Big Bang Theory"? Literally the worst, most cliche and unrealistic, show ever...maybe a tie with to Sons of Anarchy.

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:19 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:35 am
Blues wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:52 am
stoptothink wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:21 am
chipperd wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:30 am
Didn't read all the posts, so forgive me if this has been mentioned. If you like Bourne Identity type stuff.
On Amazon Prime:
"Hanna"
Just finished this. Very mediocre.
Thanks for that. I was trying to decide if it was worth the (bad) risk.
I will slightly disagree. I watched it because I like two of the main actors (Joel Kinnaman and Mireille Enos), who previously teamed up on the show The Killing. The acting in general was okay. The story was a weird combination of thriller and Disney caliber coming of age story. Credulity had to be suspended, and some scenes were painful to anyone past the age of adolescence, but I found it entertaining.
Excellent review :D
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:43 pm

The more I read various reviews the more I think a lot of folks are expecting a little too much from a tv series.Remember we are not talking a classic movie which is one 2 hour show that sometimes take over a year to make.I am easy to entertain but I think the quality of tv that is out there is pretty good for what it is.
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:55 pm

hoops777 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:43 pm
The more I read various reviews the more I think a lot of folks are expecting a little too much from a tv series.Remember we are not talking a classic movie which is one 2 hour show that sometimes take over a year to make.I am easy to entertain but I think the quality of tv that is out there is pretty good for what it is.
I agree. I’m not a good historian, but not that many years ago there was almost nothing to watch on TV. Network shows mostly sucked. Then HBO, Showtime, FX, etc. improved things. Now, there are a huge number of great shows to be streamed, many of them better than most films.

I literally cannot remember the last time I went to a movie theater. We always watch at least a few minutes before going to sleep, and often decompress for a few hours in the evening.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:00 pm

We've just been catching up with The Good Fight, having not seen any of it before.

The first two seasons seemed pretty good... plots were pretty dense (meaning, lots packed in, not opaque), and then... season 3... !??!

At first I thought that courtroom scene was going to be a dream sequence, and then I got annoyed it was going on so long, and then... !?
Alas, it wasn't a dream sequence, although it *was* a nightmare for us... totally wasted time.
I think we saw 2 of the episodes, and that's IT.

Anyone know what happened? That was a VERY abrupt shift to absurdity.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:04 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:55 pm
I literally cannot remember the last time I went to a movie theater. We always watch at least a few minutes before going to sleep, and often decompress for a few hours in the evening.
My daughter made me go to Black Panther. It sucked despite great production values, decent CGI, and and a great theater with stadium seating in big leather seats.

Before that, my wife made me go to the Lego Movie. Not bad but my wife set the theme song as her phone's ringtone and THAT sucked! (Everything is Awesome. It's gone now.)

I can't remember in-theater movies any further back without going WAY back.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

josehde

Post by josehde » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:18 pm

bertilak wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:04 pm
TomatoTomahto wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:55 pm
My daughter made me go to Black Panther. It sucked despite great production values, decent CGI, and and a great theater with stadium seating in big leather seats.

Before that, my wife made me go to the Lego Movie. Not bad but my wife set the theme song as her phone's ringtone and THAT sucked! (Everything is Awesome. It's gone now.)

I can't remember in-theater movies any further back without going WAY back.
We rarely go to the movies as well. Personally, I like having the option of pausing a show/movie and getting back to it at a later time. I like having my subtitles too.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:34 pm

josehde wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:18 pm
We rarely go to the movies as well. Personally, I like having the option of pausing a show/movie and getting back to it at a later time. I like having my subtitles too.
I’ll admit up front that I’m spoiled. We have a great TV room for TV, but for films we have a blacked out room, acoustically treated, first rate surround sound, large screen, and most importantly, there’s nobody in the audience on their cell phone, or explaining the plot to their date, or crinkling a candy wrapper, and the floor isn’t sticky with spilled soda (or worse).
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:13 pm

hoops777 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:43 pm
IMO, TV in general is better done than most movies these days. I can't remember the last time I wasn't disappointed when going to a theater. So, yeah, maybe expectations are high, but there is plenty of fantastic entertainment out there (even with my irrationally high expectations).

josehde

Post by josehde » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:39 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:34 pm
josehde wrote:
I’ll admit up front that I’m spoiled. We have a great TV room for TV, but for films we have a blacked out room, acoustically treated, first rate surround sound, large screen, and most importantly, there’s nobody in the audience on their cell phone, or explaining the plot to their date, or crinkling a candy wrapper, and the floor isn’t sticky with spilled soda (or worse).
That's pretty neat. I know others are sad that the 'cinema experience' is dying out in the age of streaming but when it's not romanticized, it is easy to point out that not all parts of it are great anyway (in particular, inconsiderate moviegoers)

RustyShackleford

Post by RustyShackleford » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:15 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:13 pm
IMO, TV in general is better done than most movies these days.
Agree. And really, it's a little silly to consider them to be different art forms at this point. I'd wager the vast majority of "movies" (that is, moving pictures that are presented as a single installment of approximately 2 hours in length) are viewed on a television. A lot of people are now calling "TV shows" as "long form".

yolli71

Post by yolli71 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:29 pm

Narcos Mexico on Netflix. Absolutely fantastic. Also just watched the Assassination of Gianni Versace on Netflix (FX) which was also excellent. I didn't remember Andrew Cunanan murdering other people before Versace, and the actor who plays Cunanan did a phenomenal job...he was one scary character.

Random Musings

Post by Random Musings » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:39 pm

Watching Black Mirror, done with three seasons. Some episodes are great, some episodes are pretty bad. A hit or miss series, IMHO.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:41 pm

Kind of struggling to find things. Just went through one season of "the expanse" a Sci fi on Amazon. It is OK. It certainly isn't making me want to binge watch it.

Went through 2 seasons of Banshee, almost turned it off 10 minutes into the first episode, but ended up finding it entertaining, in spite of the gratuitous sex and violence (not at all a prude, but sometimes it just seems to be randomly inserted). It does kind of have a sons of anarchy charm to it. Watched through Amazon on roku. I can get season 3 and 4 on directv cinemax (they are pay on Amazon) but anymore I refuse to watch anything I can't listen to with headphones through roku app. Directv has no way to stream through TV and headphones or app. (Any suggestions are welcome)

I tried Hannah for about a half episode but in spite of the 2 actors I enjoyed from the killing it just seems to be a ridiculous premise. I can suspend reality to a point but only so far.

Looks like a new season of Bosch is coming in a week or so.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:59 pm

Have you tried The 100, on Netflix? I'm almost finished Season 3 and want to keep going. The plot is highly creative with a lot of twists, lots of action, sci-fi, and well produced.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Elric

Post by Elric » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:52 pm

I just finished season 1 of Altered Carbon on Netflix and really liked it. If your a fan of Blade Runner or William Gibson's sprawl series of novels (Neuromancer, Count Zero, and Mona Lisa Overdrive) I think you'll like it.
"No man is free who works for a living." | Illya Kuryakin

josehde

Post by josehde » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:22 am

Random Musings wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:39 pm
Watching Black Mirror, done with three seasons. Some episodes are great, some episodes are pretty bad. A hit or miss series, IMHO.

RM
This is how I found Black Mirror as well. Really not one for big twists, but some I found well-executed. Bandersnatch, meanwhile, I just thought was frustrating.

Any favorite episodes? Be Right Back has to be one of mine.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:23 am

Elric wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:52 pm
I just finished season 1 of Altered Carbon on Netflix and really liked it. If your a fan of Blade Runner or William Gibson's sprawl series of novels (Neuromancer, Count Zero, and Mona Lisa Overdrive) I think you'll like it.
I'm a fan of William Gibson (currently on Mona Lisa Overdrive), but this was one series I simply did not like. From my previous post:
LadyGeek wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:55 pm
Peaky Blinders. Very well produced, it kept me interested. I just finished Episode 1, Season 1 and will keep going.

As for Altered Carbon, I'm disappointed. After watching the first few episodes, posts here encouraged me to keep going. By the 9th episode, I was bored. The final episode was nothing but <fight>, <pause>, <insert overused dramatic statement here>, <resume fight>, <repeat ad nauseum>. The dialog was trite and predictable.

If they didn't stop fighting to say something (instead of completing the punch / kick / slash in progress) the outcome would have been very different. I gave the series a down-vote.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:39 am

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:34 pm
josehde wrote:
That’s what we have too, plus we can pause the movie and take a leisure restroom break. I haven’t been to a movie in years, not even the dollar theatre. Everything is subpar experience.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:44 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:59 pm
Have you tried The 100, on Netflix? I'm almost finished Season 3 and want to keep going. The plot is highly creative with a lot of twists, lots of action, sci-fi, and well produced.
I went through several seasons a while back. I'm not sure if I'm caught up. I'll give it high marks for creativity in terms of Sci fi themes. I'm not the biggest fan of the lead, I don't think she fits the role she's supposed to be playing. Also there is a recurring theme of her going off on her own to solve some problem and then later others deciding "we have to go find her"ultimately leading to someone's untimely demise.

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:46 pm

Fixer Upper on HGTV.

Random Musings

Post by Random Musings » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:45 pm

josehde wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:22 am
Random Musings wrote:

RM
This is how I found Black Mirror as well. Really not one for big twists, but some I found well-executed. Bandersnatch, meanwhile, I just thought was frustrating.

Playtest and White Christmas were ones I enjoyed. Nosedive was humorous in a quirky way, but it also made me think with social media that we are trending in that direction.

Looking back, after watching S1E1,I almost threw in the towel.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ

josehde

Post by josehde » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:59 pm

Random Musings wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:45 pm
josehde wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:22 am
Random Musings wrote:

RM

Playtest and White Christmas were ones I enjoyed. Nosedive was humorous in a quirky way, but it also made me think with social media that we are trending in that direction.

Looking back, after watching S1E1,I almost threw in the towel.

RM
I watched Black Mirror after finishing Mad Men, and I have to say, it was delightful to see Jon Hamm on a different show.

White Christmas was great, although hit a little close to home having been the receiving end of being shut off by an individual I used to be close with, but not for reasons as worse as being an accessory to someone's murder or killing anyone. Haha!

They didn't show the act itself on S1E1 if I remember, but implying it and focusing on the PM was enough to make me barf.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:08 pm

"The Night Of" on HBO. Really good, but I didn't particularly like the ending. The story took a few unrealistic stretches for added drama towards the end.

Hayden

Post by Hayden » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:14 am

We are addicted to Halt and Catch Fire. It's the story of computer startups in the 80s. We can't stop watching.