Recommend a good SOCK. Yes, I said SOCK!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
gpburdell

Re: Recommend a good SOCK. Yes, I said SOCK!

Post by gpburdell » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:50 pm

I play alot of tennis and become a big fan of Thorlo socks which provide great protection and cushioning. They aren't cheap though; about $15 a pair. However, they last a long time and I hardly ever get blisters or black toes anymore from all the running on the court.

pdavi21

Post by pdavi21 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:55 pm

Puma. Not sure which kind, but they have lasted really well compared to Hanes. Very elastic, and no lumps. I bet they are expensive though...got as gift.

I'm guessing any "athletic" socks are going to work well.
"We spend a great deal of time studying history, which, let's face it, is mostly the history of stupidity." -Stephen Hawking

jadedfalcons

Post by jadedfalcons » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:40 pm

Wigwam and Carhartt. Might as well make them out of 12 gauge steel, they last so long, but still very comfy.

averagedude

Post by averagedude » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:42 pm

I buy Haynes. Cheap and comfortable enough for me. I would suggest that when you find the right sock that you have a concentrated portfolio of the same color and style by buying 60 pairs. You won't need to buy more in the near term and you wont have to worry about matching them up either. This is the boglehead way of keeping your sock portfolio simple.

FederalFIRE

Post by FederalFIRE » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:47 pm

I've worn SmartWool, Bombas and FITS for the past 5 years or so. FITS are far and away my favorite - they are the most comfortable socks I've worn and don't change shape or shrink. As others have said for SmartWool, I do air dry mine as well as the FITS. Cared for, they will last years. https://www.fitssock.com/

TierArtz

Post by TierArtz » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:54 pm

I try not to wear socks, shoes, or a shirt as much as possible. But, when just shorts and sandals/slippers won't suffice, I turn to my lifetime supply (10 pairs) of "Burlington Comfort Power Men's Cotton Crew Socks", which are made in the USA and currently available from Amazon for only $22.99.

motorcyclesarecool

Post by motorcyclesarecool » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:56 pm

In winter season, Costco sells packages of merino wool blend socks. Get those. When I spent 10+ hours per day in a clean room suit, they helped a lot.
heybro wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:44 pm
Hello,

I always bought a bag of socks at Target for like 10 bucks and got like 10 pairs in the bag. The socks were Gildan although I hardly cared about the name. The socks were white and had a gray patch on the toe and heal. The socks also looked like the shape of your foot in profile (they were not just some huge tube). And, they were ankle high. They also seemed to be a blend of cotton and polyester together.
Well, Target stopped carrying them.

And now I am at a loss of where to get just a decent good sock.

I tried the Hanes and the Fruit of the Loom but they are all sophisticated with air vents and moisture whicking and they just don't feel right to me.

I also tried buying Dickies from Walmart thinking a person can't go wrong with a working man's sock! They felt SO GOOD in terms of fabric -- very comfortable. But they had a weird thing going on in the middle of the sock (the toe and heal felt great but the middle section seemed to be smaller and all odd).

Why is this so complicated! haha.

Anyone recommend a decent sock for a guy?

Thank you.
Understand that choosing an HDHP is very much a "red pill" approach. Most would rather pay higher premiums for a $20 copay per visit. They will think you weird for choosing an HSA.

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:09 pm

HiBro:

I froze my feet in the Battle of the Bulge in WWII. As a result, my feet always feel cold so I sleep with socks on. My favorite for warmth are "Heat Holders."

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009S9TYR4/re ... 785d430aa8

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:21 pm

^Those Heat Holders are 91% acrylic, so that's a good sock to me ... except for the price. Mr. Larimore have you tried sleeping with down booties on?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:26 pm

livesoft wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:21 pm
^Those Heat Holders are 91% acrylic, so that's a good sock to me ... except for the price. Mr. Larimore have you tried sleeping with down booties on?
livesoft:

Thanks for the suggestion.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

dustinst22

Post by dustinst22 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:48 pm

I've tried a few of the more expensive ones -- Darn Tough, Patagonia, Under Armor. My favorite that I keep coming back to is Outlier. Very expensive, but worth it (~ $25/pair). These socks have lasted me 3 years now and are more comfortable than anything else and they're the perfect length. The megafine merino wool used is very soft on the skin, feels luxurious yet durable.

Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:02 pm

bombas

gamboolman

Post by gamboolman » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:32 am

AnonJohn wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:51 am
Hate to necropost, but I've been meaning to write since September (aside: sigh). Wanted to add Fox River socks to the list. American made and excellent. Also make the original Sock Monkey! And I think they supply the military with some socks too.

Look forward to trying Darn Tough ...
Fox Socks for the Win

politely

Post by politely » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:51 am

Go for wool socks. I vote for Darn Tough. I used to buy Smartwool, but gave up because the heel-ankle area kept wearing out in less than 6 months. Gave up on Gold Toe because cotton socks are terrible with moisture. It's amazing how much more comfortable wool socks are throughout the day - and my feet stay much drier. I no longer wear cotton socks. For artificial fibers, I like Wigwam. I buy my socks at socksaddict.com - they have sales throughout the year.

bagle

Post by bagle » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:14 am

Darn Tough are very resilient.

Smartwool have very good support, but their quality has declined since Timberland bought them.

Point 6 are by far the best, IMHO. Amazing quality and support for the same price as the others. This is the company founded by the people who created Smartwool.

Tool-Time

Post by Tool-Time » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:19 am

Duluth Trading sells some prettt tough sox. American made. Looked into Bombas and found out they were made in China.

z91

Post by z91 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:26 am

Pretty sure I asked this before..

Edit: Yup
viewtopic.php?t=242516

Seems like the same answers..

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:35 am

politely wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:51 am
.... Gave up on Gold Toe because cotton socks are terrible with moisture. It's amazing how much more comfortable wool socks are throughout the day - and my feet stay much drier. I no longer wear cotton socks.
Right. Don't ever buy cotton socks, but Gold Toe makes plenty of non-cotton socks. Don't buy Gold Toe cotton socks. Buy Gold Toe acrylic socks.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Mako52

Post by Mako52 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:25 am

Darn Tough. Once you start wearing them you'll find that many other socks end up as charitable contributions. Sorry, but socks are one thing I will never be "frugal" about.

I recently sent my first pair back to them under their warranty. No questions asked, a code for credit showed up in my inbox.

retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:53 am

I picked up these Alpaca wool socks at a local fair (guy selling was an Alpaca farmer of course!)

https://www.alteraalpaca.com/explore.html

They are not cheap, but I have to say they are THE MOST COMFORTABLE heavy sock I have ever owned. you can wear them for days without washing (great for hiking, etc.) My feet sweat some in socks like Darn Tough (which I like a lot too) but these wick it away in amazing fashion.

I have two pairs I have worn a bunch in the past 6 mos. and they are holding up like they are still almost brand new.

The other sock from them that I tried is the Explore. I am not as much of a fan, as the thinner weave of the wool is rougher and I prefer the lower crew style with loop terry fluff of the Explore.

Strummer

Post by Strummer » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:32 am

tbini87

Post by tbini87 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:50 pm

Thegame14 wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:02 pm
bombas
I have been wearing, and supporting Bombas for about 5 years now. They are my go to socks. They sent me 1,000 pairs to distribute to victims of the Camp Fire in Paradise CA this year which was a huge blessing to tons of families we knew. Their socks are expensive, but very comfortable and durable. Class act and incredible socks!

Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:33 pm

My wife has been buying Bomba's which are great.

For an athletic sock, I buy Balega's. About $14 a pair. You can buy through Amazon, or I will pick up at REI when I have a 20% off, or some other sale promo.

For those interested, if you need a shoe / arch support, I find the Superfeet inserts at $50 a reliable buy. They have several versions / thicknesses. Also available at REI.

bearcub

Post by bearcub » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:58 am

Say yes to striped socks. Yes,no, YES!

dsmclone

Post by dsmclone » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:02 am

I've tried a lot of different brands like Darn Tough and Cloudline and they are great socks that will last a long time. With that said, I have 10 year old Gold Toe athletic socks that have held up fine. Not sure why I paid more for these others.

finite_difference

Post by finite_difference » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:02 am

Under Armour.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh

CherylHall

Post by CherylHall » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:10 pm

BOMBAS! Worth the cost for sure.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:09 am

I like these plain white socks:
- They fit my foot
- No seams or bumps inside
- Not overly tight (must have higher cotton content)
- Not hot (again, must have more cotton)

Haven't found anything similar in the big box stores. These do have a grey toe and heel.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FB ... UTF8&psc=1