Lawn Service and Landscaping

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
apple44

Lawn Service and Landscaping

Post by apple44 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:45 pm

Our yards and lawn need some serious service. I started to search around for companies that provide these services on Nextdoor, google, etc. I'm curious how much money have you spent on the following:

1. Bi-weekly lawn mowing / leaf blowing (my husband said he'd do it but he's been very sloppy about it and our lawn looks terrible, so I decided to hire somebody else to do it.)

2. Landscaping and maintenance services. I understand that this depends on the size of your yard and how fancy you want it to be. I just wanted to have a general sense because right now I have ZERO idea. I'd appreciate it if you would elaborate a little bit what your landscaping and maintenance services included.

Thanks very much!

oncorhynchus

Re: Lawn Service and Landscaping

Post by oncorhynchus » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:55 pm

In Texas, my lot was 1/3 of an acre. Lawn mowing and trimming was $50 every other week in-season. Fall and spring clean up (tree/brush trimming, mulch, seasonal fertilizing, etc.) were an additional $75 each season. My neighbor had his elaborate flower beds and bushes attended to at an additional $25 every other week.

If you can afford it and don't like/can't DIY, it is worth it; consistent care really makes a difference in how landscaping looks and holds up

o
-- Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. --

Topic Author
apple44

Post by apple44 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:01 pm

oncorhynchus wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:55 pm
In Texas, my lot was 1/3 of an acre. Lawn mowing and trimming was $50 every other week in-season. Fall and spring clean up (tree/brush trimming, mulch, seasonal fertilizing, etc.) were an additional $75 each season. My neighbor had his elaborate flower beds and bushes attended to at an additional $25 every other week.

If you can afford it and don't like/can't DIY, it is worth it; consistent care really makes a difference in how landscaping looks and holds up

o
Thanks a lot! I live in Dallas. That price sounds totally reasonable!

Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:09 pm

apple44 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:45 pm
Our yards and lawn need some serious service. I started to search around for companies that provide these services on Nextdoor, google, etc. I'm curious how much money have you spent on the following:

1. Bi-weekly lawn mowing / leaf blowing (my husband said he'd do it but he's been very sloppy about it and our lawn looks terrible, so I decided to hire somebody else to do it.)

2. Landscaping and maintenance services. I understand that this depends on the size of your yard and how fancy you want it to be. I just wanted to have a general sense because right now I have ZERO idea. I'd appreciate it if you would elaborate a little bit what your landscaping and maintenance services included.

Thanks very much!
Lawn services are INSANELY priced by me. I got busy end of last season and asked a guy for a quote to cut front and back yard, backyard was overgrown, he wanted $300.... Said he charges $60 per hour....insane!!! A lawn cut should be $20 and NOT EVERY week, it should be $20 every other week for a basic cut and edging. Hell even throwing some seeds or weeds, still is cheap.... I have seen these guys, they show up with a truck, a few questionable legal status people come out with one or two ride on mowers, another with a leaf blower and one edger, and in 15 minutes they are done....

il0kin

Post by il0kin » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:18 pm

Thegame14 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:09 pm
apple44 wrote:

Thanks very much!
Lawn services are INSANELY priced by me. I got busy end of last season and asked a guy for a quote to cut front and back yard, backyard was overgrown, he wanted $300.... Said he charges $60 per hour....insane!!! A lawn cut should be $20 and NOT EVERY week, it should be $20 every other week for a basic cut and edging. Hell even throwing some seeds or weeds, still is cheap.... I have seen these guys, they show up with a truck, a few questionable legal status people come out with one or two ride on mowers, another with a leaf blower and one edger, and in 15 minutes they are done....
I can’t imagine anyone except a kid who already lives on your street already could profit at $20 per cut. You need a truck and trailer, all the equipment, fuel for the truck and the machines, hourly pay for at least 2 guys at $10/hr, taxes, insurance, etc...

anil686

Post by anil686 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:12 pm

Also in the DFW area - pay typically $30/cut per week and then an extra $25 per month for trimming. Also handles flower planting at cost of the flowers + fee of $25 to plant them. Has a crew of about 4 that work and were the fourth one we found. I would ask your neighbors (I guess the local FB page if you have one for the HOA) - you will typically get the best responses from them at the best cost - that was our experience...

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:26 pm

I have a small yard and pay $40 for every week cutting and trimming. The grass grows like weeds, so every other week would not be enough. I don't think some variation is yard size matters much, as they have to drive here unless they have other customers nearby. Others have been slightly cheaper, but less dependable and less neat.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:33 pm

apple44 wrote:

You should talk to your neighbors.

Not only with they have a much better sense of what these services cost in your locale than random folks on the internet could, but they will likely have some recommendations for good providers.

I've always done my own lawncare. But when my mower broke down a few years ago, I paid the teenager across the street $25 for each mowing.
Very Stable Genius

Topic Author
apple44

Post by apple44 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:06 pm

Thanks! I’ll ask around and search on nextdoor for recommendations.

miamivice

Post by miamivice » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:09 pm

apple44 wrote:

Thanks very much!
I like mowing lawns, but we have a lot of shrubs, bushes, and leaf blowing. I am not good at the later but enjoy the former.

My landscapers are under strict instruction to leave the lawn alone (and not charge me) while full service on everything else.

brennok

Post by brennok » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:57 pm

il0kin wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:18 pm
Thegame14 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:09 pm
apple44 wrote:

Thanks very much!
I can’t imagine anyone except a kid who already lives on your street already could profit at $20 per cut. You need a truck and trailer, all the equipment, fuel for the truck and the machines, hourly pay for at least 2 guys at $10/hr, taxes, insurance, etc...
Here every lawn company turns into a mow and go. I have a half acre lot and they spend ten minutes cutting and blowing. You can see the wave of companies as they take over the neighborhood and then slowly over time a new company replaces them.

I know at least for us this is why we hate paying that much for lawncare.

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:58 pm

miamivice wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:09 pm
apple44 wrote:

Thanks very much!
I like mowing lawns, but we have a lot of shrubs, bushes, and leaf blowing. I am not good at the later but enjoy the former.

My landscapers are under strict instruction to leave the lawn alone (and not charge me) while full service on everything else.
I prohibit anyone working on my yard from using a leaf blower. They make a terrible racket and are bad for the environment. There is no need to blow grass clippings around, as they dry up to invisibility in a day or so.

Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:00 pm

It’s insane where I live now. When I was a kid in a midsize midwestern city in the 90s, I charged $35 to mow and edge a one acre yard once a week. I had free use of our family’s lawn tractor, so my expenses were gas/oil, weed wacker string, and anything I hired out to my little brother. I did a pretty good job, but this wasn’t award winning work or anything. I have to imagine it would be more like 50-60 now? Hard to tell.

It’s over $100 in the HCOL city I’m in now, for a small yard.

If neighborhood kids still even do that, I’d strongly encourage you to figure out if anyone nearby mows lawns. Yeah, you sometimes have to manage high school kid stuff, but I’d rather my money go to a kid I know if I can, and I always really enjoyed the outdoor manual labor as a high schooler.
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.

Kiter

Post by Kiter » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:18 pm

A good mower would be $2000-7500.00,trimmer$200-450.00,blower $250-500.00,trailer ,truck ,ins. gas.work.comp. ,maintenance ,etc. .

TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:00 pm

Also DFW here. I pay the mowing guy $25 +$5 tips for the weekly mowing, edging, and blowing; and about $400 a year for True Green to treat my yard. Additionally, I pay whenever the flower bed needs weeding or the trees or shrubs need a haircut.

TravelforFun