Extended warrenty for refrigerator

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Calico

Extended warrenty for refrigerator

Post by Calico »

So a week ago I posted asking for suggestions for refrigerator brands. Today was the third time in a month I had to fix my old fridge and it seems that currently there are a bunch of "Spring Black Friday" sales. So I am going to buy a new fridge tomorrow. I did my research online and have three models in mind.

I am having a very hard time finding a fridge that will actually fit in the space I have and fit my price range. It's the height that's killing me. I only have 68 inches and it seems like most fridges are more than that. Anyway, I was able to find three fridges that fit my criteria that aren't just tiny or bare bones. The only one of the three that has everything I like (and gives the same clearance as my current fridge) is a Samsung, But that was the brand I was warned about in my other thread. I can also only get it from Lowe's and Best Buy (no other stores carry the model that fits the space).

I never buy extended warranties, I always found them to be a waste. But I am wondering if I should in this case with all the dire warnings about Samsung. The main thing that is holding me back is not only do I never get those, but the fridge in question seems to have good reviews from customers.
Stinky

Re: Extended warrenty for refrigerator

Post by Stinky »

Calico wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:23 pm
I never buy extended warranties, I always found them to be a waste.
I think you've answered your own question.

If you do have a problem with the Samsung, you can pay for the repair with the savings from having not bought extended warranty on the refrigerator, plus the savings from not buying extended warranties on many other purchases you've made. I expect that you'll still be "money ahead".
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

Do you have a credit card that gives you an extended warranty on purchases?
codedude

Post by codedude »

Is there a 10 year manufacturer warranty on the compressor for this particular model? A Samsung fridge I bought has it.

That should protect you for the biggest fridge failure.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

codedude wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:08 pm Is there a 10 year manufacturer warranty on the compressor for this particular model? A Samsung fridge I bought has it.

That should protect you for the biggest fridge failure.
The problem with Samsung fridges is the Icemaker, not the compressor. The icemaker is only covered by a 1 year warranty. There’s a class action lawsuit in progress. Also a propensity for the defrost drains to freeze up. Also only a 1 year warranty.

I bought Samsung for the same reason. Never again.

And yes, if you have to get Samsung or LG, get an extended warranty. I don’t usually, because they’re usually a terrible deal. But I wish I had.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
Topic Author
Calico

Post by Calico »

quantAndHold wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:15 pm

The problem with Samsung fridges is the Icemaker, not the compressor. The icemaker is only covered by a 1 year warranty. There’s a class action lawsuit in progress. Also a propensity for the defrost drains to freeze up. Also only a 1 year warranty.

I bought Samsung for the same reason. Never again.

And yes, if you have to get Samsung or LG, get an extended warranty. I don’t usually, because they’re usually a terrible deal. But I wish I had.
See, this is what scares me. Literally everyone I've talked to (as in family and friends outside the internet) has told me the same. And then I read it here too and in reviews. But then some reviews are glowing (but are they real or were they written before problems started).

Now I've created a new question for myself. If I throw in the price of the Samsung plus the extended warranty, it's out of my budget I set for myself. So I increased the budget and looked again. And I am now just $200 off from a Whirlpool that is also out of my budget but fits in the small space I have for a fridge. I could get a Samsung for $1300 (includes extended warranty) or a Whirlpool for $1500 (no warranty).

Maybe I set my budget too low for a fridge. I have the cash on hand to buy anything I want. I just like to set parameters so I don't overspend. Every place says that Whirlpool is "on sale" but I find it suspicious that it's exactly the same price at every store and the MSRP varies at each one. I think it's a pricing trick and it's not really on sale. But the way my current fridge is acting, I might not have the luxury of waiting too long to buy.

I am going to go to Lowe's, BestBuy and Home Depot today. Thanks Bogleheads for all your help with this and the other thread.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

A Citi card will add 2 years to those 1 year warranties.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
hoeboe

Post by hoeboe »

I also very rarely buy extended warranties. However, when I replaced my 13 year old Samsung late last year at Lowes with a Fridgidaire, I was talked into it. Why? When you buy an extended warranty at Lowes, all maintenance items for that appliance are 1/2 off. Modern refrigerators have ridiculously expensive water filters. Adding up the savings of 3 filters / year, 5 years, $25 savings per filter comes to $375, which more than paid for the warranty. Same discount applies to the air filter.

In the past, I used third party water filters for the Samsung, but I had a problem with a few of them.

Hope that helps you narrow it down!
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

hoeboe wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:07 am I also very rarely buy extended warranties. However, when I replaced my 13 year old Samsung late last year at Lowes with a Fridgidaire, I was talked into it. Why? When you buy an extended warranty at Lowes, all maintenance items for that appliance are 1/2 off. Modern refrigerators have ridiculously expensive water filters. Adding up the savings of 3 filters / year, 5 years, $25 savings per filter comes to $375, which more than paid for the warranty. Same discount applies to the air filter.

In the past, I used third party water filters for the Samsung, but I had a problem with a few of them.

Hope that helps you narrow it down!
If your house water tastes good, no reason for a water filter in the fridge (unless it is required). Our 14 year old GE has never had a filter in it.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
student

Post by student »

So it seems that the main issue is the filters to the icemaker. Are you going to use the icemaker? If the fridge is otherwise good, may be just make ice the old-fashioned way.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

I never hooked up the ice maker for my fridge. I don’t like the vampire taps commonly used for the water lines, nor the typical small diameter plastic lines themselves. My sister recently had her kitchen flood and permanently buckled the flooring when her fridge water line sprung a leak. There are alternatives. If you want filtered water, get a filter for the faucet or a filtering pitcher. If you want ice, get the old school ice trays. Works fine, and the trays are fun to crack. I actually find I rarely use ice anymore anyway.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Extended Warranty?
Pass,
Self Insure
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Topic Author
Calico

Post by Calico »

I am looking for an ice maker. I entertain a lot (my friends are also economical so to do things together usually we hang out and play board/card games or watch movies at my place). I actually never use ice but they use a lot of it.

I just got back from shopping around and now have even more options open to me. The sales person in one of the stores let me know that an ice maker can be added to a lot of the fridges (I didn't know that, when doing online searches I picked ice maker as a criteria and it only gave me fridges with ice makers standard. It left out all the ones where an ice maker was optional. Nothing ever said you can add an ice maker to some until you drill down into each model. I can add an ice maker to some models for $80. So now I have even more options (cheaper options too) and am back to square one. I am not getting the Samsung for sure now.

I hate shopping. I hate spending money. And I hate trying to figure all this stuff out. Glad I did some old fashion footwork. It seems like the prices at all the stores are the same too, so I most likely will go back to the store where the sale person let me know about the ice maker. No one at the other stores even mentioned it and instead tried to sell me even more expensive fridges.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

And what store was that, out of curiosity?
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

I too have a 68 inch clearance. I found GE and Kitchenaid both have something which will work. Remember these can be ordered from an appliance store.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:05 am I never hooked up the ice maker for my fridge. I don’t like the vampire taps commonly used for the water lines, nor the typical small diameter plastic lines themselves. My sister recently had her kitchen flood and permanently buckled the flooring when her fridge water line sprung a leak. There are alternatives. If you want filtered water, get a filter for the faucet or a filtering pitcher. If you want ice, get the old school ice trays. Works fine, and the trays are fun to crack. I actually find I rarely use ice anymore anyway.
+1
Topic Author
Calico

Post by Calico »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:30 am And what store was that, out of curiosity?
Best Buy ended up being the most helpful and didn't try to up sell me.

After a lot more research I think I have a new #1 choice. I don't think Best Buy carries it though (it's not on their website). It's a shame, I would like to buy from them since they were helpful. But it is what it is. The Maytag I found has everything I want (in order of importance): the right size, right color to match the rest of my kitchen, frost free, in my original under $800 budget, ice maker, smooth finish, and a light in the freezer (I can't believe how hard it is to find a freezer on top model with a light).
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Calico wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:55 pm
Cheez-It Guy wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:30 am And what store was that, out of curiosity?
Best Buy ended up being the most helpful and didn't try to up sell me.

After a lot more research I think I have a new #1 choice. I don't think Best Buy carries it though (it's not on their website). It's a shame, I would like to buy from them since they were helpful. But it is what it is. The Maytag I found has everything I want (in order of importance): the right size, right color to match the rest of my kitchen, frost free, in my original under $800 budget, ice maker, smooth finish, and a light in the freezer (I can't believe how hard it is to find a freezer on top model with a light).
If I could go back in time, get rid of the Samsung we have now, and get the Maytag we had before the Samsung, I would do it in a heartbeat. But alas... At the time, we had to buy from Lowe’s (long story), and the Samsung was the only one that fit the space. Lowes doesn’t sell Maytag.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
TierArtz

Post by TierArtz »

I usually never buy an extended warranty. Five years ago, I bought an extended warranty (on sale) on a GE freezer because I intended to use it in a very hot garage. It died 4 years later and due to a ridiculous circus to get parts for it in a timely manner, the Best Buy manager let us apply the full purchase price of the dead freezer to any new one we wanted. Given that stroke of luck, I kicked in a little bit more for an extended warranty on the new/bigger GE freezer. Most of the time, they are probably a waste of money.