The Three-Fund Portfolio

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
thatbrian

Re: The Three-Fund Portfolio

Post by thatbrian » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:55 pm

Taylor Larimore wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:26 pm
thatbrian wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:01 pm
I'm fully onboard with the Three-Fund-Portfolio (thank you, Taylor). The only decision making left is: Allocation, Allocation, Allocation. I HATE making these types of decisions.
thatbrian:

Don't worry about getting the exact best allocation. No one knows except with hindsight. Close is good enough.

Use this Vanguard Asset-Allocation Questionnaire for help:

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/FundsI ... unds/tools

Best wishes.
Taylor
How could you tell I was worrying? :wink:
Better late than later.

simpleisbest

Post by simpleisbest » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:10 pm

Another advantage of the three-fund portfolio: for employment reasons I have to disclose all my assets and all my trades. This adds annoying overhead to each individual transaction. So when I buy or sell there is additional overhead per ticker I want to trade. Doing this for ten tickers just became a nuisance, and even caused me to procrastinate necessary transactions. Finally I consolidated to a three fund portfolio, and have never felt so light before.

robandjeanne

Post by robandjeanne » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:50 pm

I know asset allocation is supposed to be wonderful. However I have yet to see the value of bonds which by my calculations have never equaled the total market (like VTI). If you are in it for the long haul, bonds seem to be a drag on performance. Someone made the comment that hte S&P did only fair in the last decade, but if fair is over 15 % annualized over 10 years I'll take it. Also I don't see international stocks doing that much with the 10 year VXUS at 7.6%. With the exception of some index funds that purport yo beat the S&P (seems like a pipe dream) I think VTI alone seems simply fine. One interesting tid bit that may shine a lot of light on regular investing is what a xuccessor trustee wants to do with your money after you're gone. I haven't found any who will agree to invest only in VTI, and by the same token none have agreed to equal the performance of VTI (the S&P). They'll say you need bonds and international exposure and flat out refuse to manage a simple VTI portfolio. To me this says volumes. To paraphrase Mel Brooks "they need to manage something to justify their cockamamy jobs". To me, the fact that STs refuse to invest in VTI, tells me I should. Of course I'm open to some VG growth or agressive growth index that has beaten the S&P. over 5 or 10 years.

Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:03 pm

robandjeanne wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:50 pm
I know asset allocation is supposed to be wonderful. However I have yet to see the value of bonds which by my calculations have never equaled the total market (like VTI). If you are in it for the long haul, bonds seem to be a drag on performance. Someone made the comment that hte S&P did only fair in the last decade, but if fair is over 15 % annualized over 10 years I'll take it. Also I don't see international stocks doing that much with the 10 year VXUS at 7.6%. With the exception of some index funds that purport yo beat the S&P (seems like a pipe dream) I think VTI alone seems simply fine. One interesting tid bit that may shine a lot of light on regular investing is what a xuccessor trustee wants to do with your money after you're gone. I haven't found any who will agree to invest only in VTI, and by the same token none have agreed to equal the performance of VTI (the S&P). They'll say you need bonds and international exposure and flat out refuse to manage a simple VTI portfolio. To me this says volumes. To paraphrase Mel Brooks "they need to manage something to justify their cockamamy jobs". To me, the fact that STs refuse to invest in VTI, tells me I should. Of course I'm open to some VG growth or agressive growth index that has beaten the S&P. over 5 or 10 years.
Bonds have a lower risk and therefore lower expected returns than equities. They are there for diversification and stability.

Look at the performance of international equities from 2003 to 2007 compared to U.S. equities.

I wouldn't recommend leaving out international equities, which are approximately 45% of the world stock market and includes companies like Samsung, Toyota, Nestle, and Shell.

I don't think anybody is refusing to invest in VTI, but perhaps they refuse to invest only in VTI.

Past performance is no guarantee of future results. With higher returns comes higher risk. If it were all about taking the most risk for the most return, then people would be recommending portfolios of 100% small cap value emerging markets equities. In fact, why not buy on margin?

The prudent choice is to diversify away from systemic risk by owning stocks that cover all sectors of the world economy and bonds in order to diversify your stock portfolio.
Last edited by Triple digit golfer on Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Metx

Post by Metx » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:23 pm

robandjeanne wrote:
I know asset allocation is supposed to be wonderful. However I have yet to see the value of bonds which by my calculations have never equaled the total market (like VTI). If you are in it for the long haul, bonds seem to be a drag on performance.
What is the intended purpose of this investment? If there comes a time when withdrawing a significant percentage is required to meet your obligations, you may decide the expected drag of bonds an acceptable cost for the increased likelihood that sufficient funds will still be available.
robandjeanne wrote:... One interesting tid bit that may shine a lot of light on regular investing is what a xuccessor trustee wants to do with your money after you're gone. I haven't found any who will agree to invest only in VTI, and by the same token none have agreed to equal the performance of VTI (the S&P). They'll say you need bonds and international exposure and flat out refuse to manage a simple VTI portfolio. To me this says volumes. To paraphrase Mel Brooks "they need to manage something to justify their cockamamy jobs".
This seems unfair. Why would these advisors not see their advice as prudent and in the best interest of their clients.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:14 am

robandjeanne wrote:
I know asset allocation is supposed to be wonderful. However I have yet to see the value of bonds which by my calculations have never equaled the total market (like VTI). If you are in it for the long haul, bonds seem to be a drag on performance. Someone made the comment that hte S&P did only fair in the last decade, but if fair is over 15 % annualized over 10 years I'll take it. Also I don't see international stocks doing that much with the 10 year VXUS at 7.6%. With the exception of some index funds that purport yo beat the S&P (seems like a pipe dream) I think VTI alone seems simply fine. One interesting tid bit that may shine a lot of light on regular investing is what a xuccessor trustee wants to do with your money after you're gone. I haven't found any who will agree to invest only in VTI, and by the same token none have agreed to equal the performance of VTI (the S&P). They'll say you need bonds and international 5 to 20 years is short-term thinking and flat out refuse to manage a simple VTI portfolio. To me this says volumes. To paraphrase Mel Brooks "they need to manage something to justify their cockamamy jobs". To me, the fact that STs refuse to invest in VTI, tells me I should. Of course I'm open to some VG growth or agressive growth index that has beaten the S&P. over 5 or 10 years.
There is a benefit to diversification. 5 to 10 years is short-term thinking. There have been periods when bonds outperformed U.S. stocks, and periods when international stocks outperformed U.S. stocks.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

bizkitgto

Post by bizkitgto » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:07 pm

thatbrian wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:01 pm
I'm fully onboard with the Three-Fund-Portfolio (thank you, Taylor). The only decision making left is: Allocation, Allocation, Allocation. I HATE making these types of decisions.
Have you considered $VT, just keep it simple and let the market decide your allocation for you?
Keep it simple: 20% BND, 50% VTI and 30% VXUS

bizkitgto

Post by bizkitgto » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:10 pm

Triple digit golfer wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:03 pm

Bonds have a lower risk and therefore lower expected returns than equities. They are there for diversification and stability.

The prudent choice is to diversify away from systemic risk by owning stocks that cover all sectors of the world economy and bonds in order to diversify your stock portfolio.
Are you in $BND or a world bond fund?

Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:14 pm

bizkitgto wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:10 pm
Triple digit golfer wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:03 pm

Are you in $BND or a world bond fund?
Total Bond Market Index. I don't see a reason to further diversify into international bonds. Total Bond Market serves the purpose of adding safety and stability to my portfolio.

KJVanguard

Post by KJVanguard » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:26 pm

cryptormorf wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:44 pm
In a few Jack Bogle interviews that I heard from 2018, he said that he had a problem with the Total Bond Index fund because its treasury allocation was too high. He said the he prefers (and uses) the slightly riskier and higher yielding Vanguard Intermediate-Term Bond Index Fund because it holds more corporate bonds. Any thoughts on this approach? I know that in the long term it probably doesn't matter, but it's interesting nonetheless.
Thanks for that information. I wasn't aware of Bogle's comments on Total Bond Index. I use Short-Term Investment-Grade Admiral for all my money that isn't in stock index funds. I feel that I take plenty of risk on the equity side such that I don't want to take much risk on the bond side. I used to own intermediate-term bonds funds, but over more recent years have moved entirely to ST. I simply don't want to make a bet on interest rates. As for credit quality, this fund has notably higher credit quality than ST Corporate Index yet is only something like 10 bps lower in yield. I know it will get hit if there is a flight to quality where even quality corporate bonds trade as if they were junk (think 2008), but I'm willing to take my chances for the higher yield than a treasury fund (including ST TIPS).

KJVanguard

Post by KJVanguard » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:37 pm

4nwestsaylng wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:50 pm
Taylor, just wondering why the SP500 performance is very close to the total stock market,does it mean that over time, performance of small caps in the TSM is more volatile, and so TSM performance ends up being about the same as SP500?
The 500 stocks of the S&P 500 make up the vast bulk of TSM so both are destined to be quite similar over time. I have always though TSM was the better choice as it's even more diversified, though I fully recognize that both will perform pretty much the same. Keep in mind that Index 500 only exists because back in 1975 Vanguard needed and index that a mutual fund could actually follow. It took two years before Index 500 had enough money to even invest in all 500 stocks, and small caps were simply not liquid enough to be included. Index 500 was designed to be "the market" (as limited by liquidity & assets in the 1970s). Now that you can easily own what truly is "the market" it seems to me that you might as well do so.

I started as a Vanguard investor 24 years ago by investing in TSM and it is now my largest holding. Though it's not my only holding. I have since added a lot of international (55% of equity assets) and Small-Cap Value, which may or may not outperform going forward. SC Value I would argue is possible more diversified than TSM if you look at percentage in the top 10 as a measure of diversification.

4nwestsaylng

Post by 4nwestsaylng » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:30 pm

Thanks for your thoughts. I have no argument for the majority of BHs who hold the Vanguard TSM, I hold it as VTI, but I would prefer to hold a lower percent of tech and finance than the TSM, more like 12% technology, 5% financial,13% health care,with the rest among the other SP500 sectors, without having to buy the sector ETFs themselves. Vanguard TSM is more like 22.3% tech, 15.6% financial.

If you or other BHs know of a Vanguard,Schwab or Fidelity fund that holds the SP500 or TSM that is less cap weighted and would give me an approximation of my desired allocations, that would be helpful. I see that VIVAX is closed to new investors.

As a retiree, I am willing to trade off some upside performance for some downside stability if that is possible, and this is exclusive of my stability from my 50/50 current allocation, ie just on the equity side.

Benosis

Post by Benosis » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:02 pm

So I know you are suppose to look at all of your accounts as one, right?

Say you have a 401k and a Roth IRA. Is there a benefit of organizing the allocations?

For example, my Roth IRA is 70/20/10 in VTSAX/VTIAX/VBTLX. Similarly, my 401k is 70/20/10 in Large Cap & Small Cap/International/Bonds.

Is there any benefit in say putting all bonds in 401k and leaving Roth IRA just 100% stocks? Or having all the international in 401k? Or anything other combination?

Or is it best to just have an even split like I currently do? Or does it not matter at all?

bizkitgto

Post by bizkitgto » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:06 pm

4nwestsaylng wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:30 pm

If you or other BHs know of a Vanguard,Schwab or Fidelity fund that holds the SP500 or TSM that is less cap weighted and would give me an approximation of my desired allocations, that would be helpful. I see that VIVAX is closed to new investors.
Look into $RSP, equal weighted S&P500 ETF, it's pretty close to your desired allocation (14% tech, 12% health care).

Dialectical Investor

Post by Dialectical Investor » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:25 pm

Benosis wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:02 pm

Say you have a 401k and a Roth IRA. Is there a benefit of organizing the allocations?

For example, my Roth IRA is 70/20/10 in VTSAX/VTIAX/VBTLX. Similarly, my 401k is 70/20/10 in Large Cap & Small Cap/International/Bonds.

Is there any benefit in say putting all bonds in 401k and leaving Roth IRA just 100% stocks? Or having all the international in 401k? Or anything other combination?

Or is it best to just have an even split like I currently do? Or does it not matter at all?
If you don't tax-adjust your asset allocation (a dollar in the Roth is worth more than a dollar in the 401k, after taxes), you probably have an after-tax asset allocation closer to your desired allocation by having it evenly split. I assume people don't tax-adjust. Certain recommendations (put stocks in Roth because withdrawals are tax-free and stocks have higher expected return) revolve around improper accounting for taxes. Really they are taking more risk. That could be okay if their intention is to trick themselves into taking more risk.

One of the most obvious reasons it would matter is if you had certain good and certain bad options in your 401k, and you needed to use the Roth to hold things you don't want to hold in your 401k (if a fund was too expensive), or if there just wasn't a suitable option in the 401k. This is probably the primary reason people don't mirror the accounts.

Depending on the relative size of your accounts and your asset allocation, it may be easier to rebalance when evenly split, otherwise you might have to include bonds/stocks in one account or another, from time to time, that doesn't normally include them. On the other hand, ideally you would rebalance in just one account, if you had enough room to work with. This part is all just convenience and preference.

Dialectical Investor

Post by Dialectical Investor » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:29 pm

I forgot at least one more: RMDs from the 401k. Some people wish to limit them, so they will put stocks in Roth. (Again, higher expected return.)

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:23 pm

Benosis wrote:

Yes, in general it is likely better to have prefer stock funds fill the Roth IRA, and to place the bond fund in a traditional tax-deferred account like a401k.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

Topic Author
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Adding funds to The Three-Fund Portfolio?

Post by Taylor Larimore » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:39 pm

As a retiree, I am willing to trade off some upside performance for some downside stability if that is possible, and this is exclusive of my stability from my 50/50 current allocation, ie just on the equity side.
4nwestsaylng:

The best way to increase "downside stability" is to increase your percentage of bonds--not adding other funds on the "equity side." A good example was the fad a few years ago (promoted by the investment industry) to add small-cap value on the equity side. Morningstar now ranks small-cap value as their worst performing category during the past 5-years.

Lesson learned: Adding more funds to total market index funds can reduce returns. More funds also adds cost and complexity.

Keep investing simple. Read my "Simplicity" link below.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

Benosis

Post by Benosis » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:41 pm

ruralavalon wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:23 pm
Benosis wrote:

Yes, in general it is likely better to have prefer stock funds fill the Roth IRA, and to place the bond fund in a traditional tax-deferred account like a401k.
So instead of having it currently as

Roth IRA: 70/20/10 in VTSAX/VTIAX/VTBLX
401k: 70/20/10 in Large Cap & Small Cap/International/Bonds

I should have it as something like:

Roth IRA: 75/25 in VTSAX/VTIAX
401k: 60/20/20 in Large Cap & Small Cap/International/Bonds

Is this correct?

Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:28 am

Benosis wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:41 pm
ruralavalon wrote:
Benosis wrote:

Is this correct?
Generally, yes.

With only a 401k and Roth IRA and no taxable account, just put your bonds in the 401k if a good fund is available, and put the U.S. and international equities in the remaining 401k space and Roth IRA.

Say you want to be 60/20/20 U.S., international and bonds and have $50k each in 401k and Roth IRA.

401k:
$20k bonds
$30k U.S. equities

Roth IRA:
$30k U.S. equities
$20k international equities

The equities can be flipped. Say you have a good international equity fund in 401k and a crappy U.S. fund. Go ahead and then do this:

401k:
$20k bonds
$10k U.S. equities
$20k international equities

Roth IRA:
$50k U.S. equities

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:16 am

Benosis wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:41 pm
ruralavalon wrote:
Benosis wrote:

Is this correct?
It depends on the exact funds offered in your 401k, but in general place the bond allocation in the 401k if a decent bond fund (diversified with low or moderate expense ratio) is offered in your 401k.

Also arrange the domestic and international stock funds to maximize use of the better stock funds (diversified with low to moderate low expense ratios) in the 401k.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:09 am

4nwestsaylng wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:50 pm
Taylor, just wondering why the SP500 performance is very close to the total stock market,does it mean that over time, performance of small caps in the TSM is more volatile, and so TSM performance ends up being about the same as SP500?
The S&P 500 index covers about 81% of the U.S. stock market, investing in stocks of selected large-cap and mid-cap U.S.companies. A S&P 500 index fund and a total stock market index fund have very similar performance because they mostly invest in the same stocks.

RadAudit
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Post by RadAudit » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:44 am

Taylor Larimore wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:26 pm
Don't worry about getting the exact best allocation. No one knows except with hindsight. Close is good enough.
Thank you.

I'll try to remember every time I get wrapped around the axle worrying about a 5% difference in my current AA as I chase the discussions about a proposed Total World vs. legacy Total Stock and Total International taxable / tax deferred allocation. :oops:
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. - PS: The cavalry isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:09 am

New member Benosis has a question which was moved into a new thread. See: [401k Allocation]

FYI - The move was done by one of our new moderators, oldcomputerguy.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Topic Author
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Articles recommending The Three-Fund Portfolio

Post by Taylor Larimore » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:44 pm

Bogleheads:

I have updated articles recommending The Three-Fund Portfolio:

"A Boglehead Explains the Simplest Way to Manage Your Money--MarketWatch

"Three-Fund Portfolio" -- Boglehead wiki

"The Arithmetic of Active Management" by William Sharpe, Nobel Laureate

"The BigLaw Investor Portfolio" by Joshua Hunt

"Efficient Investing with the Three Fund Portfolio" by Mr. Crazy Kicks

"From 28 Funds to 3: Simplifying to a Three-Fund Portfolio" by Physician On Fire

"How the Bogle (3-fund) Model Beats the Yale Model" by Ben Carlson

"He Has Read 250 Investing Books and Recommends the Three Fund Portfolio" by Physician on Fire

"How To Diversify With Just Three Mutual Funds" by Ambassador Laura Dogu, Forbes

"Most Investors Probably Won’t Outperform This Simple (three-fund) Portfolio" Morningstar

"The Only Three Vanguard Funds You Need to Build a Portfolio" by Kent Thune

"Investing Should Be Simple. A Three-Fund Portfolio Is All You Need." by Allan Roth, AARP

"Investing With A Three Fund Portfolio" by Financial Ramblings

"If You Can. How Millennials Can Get Rich Slowly" -- Free book by Wm. Bernstein

"Next to Nothing" by Jonathan Clements

"The Three Fund Portfolio: The Lazy Investing Strategy that Crushes the Pros" by The Money Wizard

"The Three-Fund Investment Portfolio: The Beauty of Simplicity" by Mama Fish Saves

"Three Fund Portfolio: Did Awesomeness Find Trinity?" by Portfolio Einstein

"Three Fund Portfolio – Investing Made Easy" by The Finance Twins

"3 Fund Portfolio Investment Strategy: The Only Time Lazy is Cool" by Dr Breathe Easy Investing

"Three Mutual Funds That End The Guesswork" by Jonathan Burton MarketWatch

"How To Simplify Your Investing Using Only Three Funds" by Debt Free Doctor

"Simplify Your Investments With The 3-Fund Portfolio" by Alicia Adamczyk

"Why (3) Index Portfolios Win" by M.P. Dunleavey

Best wishes.
Taylor

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Re: Articles recommending The Three-Fund Portfolio

Post by abuss368 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:16 pm

Taylor Larimore wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:44 pm
Bogleheads:

"From 28 Funds to 3: Simplifying to a Three-Fund Portfolio" by Physician On Fire

"He Has Read 250 Investing Books and Recommends the Three Fund Portfolio" by Physician on Fire

"How To Diversify With Just Three Mutual Funds" by Ambassador Laura Dogu, Forbes

"Most Investors Probably Won’t Outperform This Simple (three-fund) Portfolio" Morningstar

"Investing Should Be Simple. A Three-Fund Portfolio Is All You Need." by Allan Roth, AARP

"The Three Fund Portfolio: The Lazy Investing Strategy that Crushes the Pros" by The Money Wizard

"The Three-Fund Investment Portfolio: The Beauty of Simplicity" by Mama Fish Saves

"3 Fund Portfolio Investment Strategy: The Only Time Lazy is Cool" by Dr Breathe Easy Investing

Best wishes.
Taylor
Thanks Taylor!
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

duricka

Post by duricka » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:44 am

I have read the whole thread. LadyGeek is doing a great job removing spam, but still probably 30% of comments don't add any value. I could imagine what it would look like without moderation.

My question is for the motivation to include non-us index fund in my portfolio?
I am going to read Swedroe as it's most commonly cited, but wanted to notice that
most resources rely on data 30+ years old. Since then I think investors (even non-us investors)
would not benefit much from international exposure.

Based on the fact that US is successfully bullying anyone who tries a trade war, I think
there is a disbalance in risks of non-us exposure.

Topic Author
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:48 pm

My question is for the motivation to include non-us index fund in my portfolio?
Duricka:

My opening post (OP) recommends a 20% international allocation. This link explains:

viewtopic.php?t=196956

Anyone who disagrees, and wants to argue international exposure, should start a new topic on the Bogleheads Forum -- not here.

Thank you and best wishes.
Taylor

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:48 pm

duricka wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:44 am
I have read the whole thread.
Congrats! In my opinion this thread, "Three Fund Portfolio" is one of the best, if not the best, on our forum.

Jack Bogle often said "simplicity is the master key to financial success".

Thank you Mr. Bogle.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

southerndoc

Post by southerndoc » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:53 pm

After many years of slicing and dicing my retirement accounts with various index funds, I'm wanting to settle on 3 or 4 index funds.

Currently I'm with Fidelity with a Self-Employed 401(k). My Roth IRA is with Vanguard and is invested in the Target 2035 fund (0.14% ER).

With Fidelity, I'm considering:

FZROX (Fidelity Zero Total Market Fund)
FZIPX (Fidelity Zero Extended Market Fund)
FZILX (Fidelity Total International Market Fund)
FXNAX (Fidelity US-Bond Index Fund)

ER's are 0% for the Zero funds and 0.025% for FXNAX. I can mirror the Freedom Index 2035 fund with this for cheaper than purchasing the fund itself.

My question is: will there be added benefits to adding the FZIPX for small- and mid-cap stocks, or should I just do the total market, international, and bond index funds? I'm wondering if adding a 4th fund will be of any additional benefit.

Thanks!

Topic Author
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Adding a fourth fund?

Post by Taylor Larimore » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:21 pm

My question is: will there be added benefits to adding the FZIPX for small- and mid-cap stocks, or should I just do the total market, international, and bond index funds? I'm wondering if adding a 4th fund will be of any additional benefit.
southerndoc:

The three-fund portfolio contains over 15,000 individual securities. It is extremely diversified. We are continually tempted by the investment industry to add more funds. This, of course, adds cost, complexity, and can reduce returns.

For many years adding small-value funds to Total Stock Market was touted to increase returns. What happened? Small-value funds now have the WORST 5-year return of all fourteen Morningstar style categories.

Strive for simplicity -- not complexity.

What Experts Say

Please read my "Simplicity" link below.

Best wishes.
Taylor

southerndoc

Post by southerndoc » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:46 pm

Taylor, thank you for your reply.

I think I knew the answer before I even asked the question, but was wanting validation before wittling down my current portfolio to just three funds.

:)

Dialectical Investor

Post by Dialectical Investor » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:48 pm

southerndoc wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:53 pm
After many years of slicing and dicing my retirement accounts with various index funds, I'm wanting to settle on 3 or 4 index funds.

Currently I'm with Fidelity with a Self-Employed 401(k). My Roth IRA is with Vanguard and is invested in the Target 2035 fund (0.14% ER).

ER's are 0% for the Zero funds and 0.025% for FXNAX. I can mirror the Freedom Index 2035 fund with this for cheaper than purchasing the fund itself.

Thanks!
To compare, using actual funds, Vanguard's extended market index fund (VEXMX) goes back to the late 1980s. If you look at returns of this fund compared to Vanguard's S&P 500 index fund, the extended market fund outperformed by about by 0.30% annually, and it had additional volatility. Extended market funds are meant to complement an S&P 500 fund to mimic a total market fund. Comparing a total market fund to the extended market fund should result in an even smaller difference in performance.

This performance indeed has been the past performance of smaller capitalization stocks over long time periods. There is extensive research on the topic of why this might have been and why it may or may not continue, which you could fill the better part of a year (or more) reading. Note the 0.30% difference was 100% of one fund versus 100% of the other. Mixing the funds resulted in a performance difference that is even less. There have been time periods were the performance difference was much greater, both in the positive and negative direction. Usually something extreme was occurring, such as the tech bubble (extended market underperformed) or the period right after the bubble burst (extended market outperformed).

Given the recent underperformance of the extended market fund, one might inflate the 0.30% return slightly in an attempt to smooth the endpoint sensitivity. Even so, assume you select 10% or 20% of the stock allocation for the extended market fund. Would that make much of a difference to your overall returns? It is unlikely in my opinion, absent an extreme scenario that works in your favor. That is what one should expect in general: To get a markedly different return, you either need a markedly different portfolio or a markedly different investing environment.

Ferdinand2014

Post by Ferdinand2014 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:54 pm

southerndoc wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:53 pm

Thanks!
FZIPX would only overlap FZROX.

FNILX (Zero large cap - essentially an S&P 500 fund without paying for the license fee) + FZIPX = exactly all of FZROX 2,500 stocks.

You would generally combine FZIPX with some x ratio of FNILX if you wanted to tilt to small/mid caps or large caps depending on which x ratio you choose.

copacetic

Post by copacetic » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:50 pm

I have a question on the three fund strategy for my 401k. My 401k is with Fidelity. In my 401k investment options I do not have access to the Fidelity Total Market Index Funds. However, I have the option to open a Fidelity "Brokerage Link" account that is tied to my 401k which then allows me to invest in most any stocks,bonds etc....including both Vanguards and Fidelity's Total Market index funds. Should I choose Vanguard or Fidelity's funds? Not sure if there would be any fee difference etc.

CABob

Post by CABob » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:50 pm

copacetic wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:50 pm
I have a question on the three fund strategy for my 401k. My 401k is with Fidelity. In my 401k investment options I do not have access to the Fidelity Total Market Index Funds. However, I have the option to open a Fidelity "Brokerage Link" account that is tied to my 401k which then allows me to invest in most any stocks,bonds etc....including both Vanguards and Fidelity's Total Market index funds. Should I choose Vanguard or Fidelity's funds? Not sure if there would be any fee difference etc.
What is the cost to use the brokerage link? In many plans that cost takes away most or all of the advantage of the lower cost funds. If your plan has an S&P 500 index fund that may be close enough to the TSM.
Bob

copacetic

Post by copacetic » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:55 pm

Thanks Bob,

I'll have to call tomorrow and get that cost. As it turns out, my work lists the fund that all my 401k proceeds get invested into as "Target Retirement Fund 2035". I just discovered when I pull the covers back the fund is allocated as follows:

Vanguard Total Stock market Indx - 46%
Vanguard Total Intl Stock Indx - 30%
Vanguard Total Bond Market - 16%
Vanguard Total International Bond - 7%

So although it is not the exact percentages I want, it may be close enough to just stick with it instead of paying the fee's to move it over to the Brokerage Link account and purchase the exact Vanguard percentages.

Topic Author
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:00 pm

copacetic wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:50 pm
copacetic:

I think it is important to keep all investments with one good company (like Fidelity). The benefits:

1. One familiar statement.
2. Less paperwork.
3. Easier tax preparation.
4. Avoidance of low-balance and other small fees.
5. It's much easier to learn only one company's policies, fees, regulations, etc.
6. With larger holdings it may be possible to qualify for lower costs and premium services (Voyager, Admiral, Flagship).
7. Rebalancing and exchanges are easier.
8. Eliminates 3rd party brokerage.
9. A loyal customer is appreciated and usually treated better.
10. Less chance of errors.
11. Knowledge that Fidelity's fine reputation and low-costs are always working for you.
12. More free time for ourselves.
13. In event of death or disability, it will be much easier for others.

"Stick" with Fidelity because you are already there. The have the same three total market index funds that Vanguard has.

Best wishes.
Taylor

Basel Hodge

Post by Basel Hodge » Sat May 04, 2019 8:52 pm

Greetings to all! This is my first post.

My wife and I are about to retire and I find myself struggling with the shift from the collection phase of life to the withdrawal phase. I have generally followed the ‘Three Fund Portfolio’ model (although mine is really four fund with the addition of the International Bond Index).
My questions relate to fixed income investing:

1. Does the 3 fund model provide accessible dividends such that one can avoid adding a specific component to the portfolio to create dividends? I wonder if adding extra investment components goes counter to the simplicity and comprehensive nature of the 3 of 4 fund portfolio concept.

2. Considering emergency money or cash on the sidelines, are there common investment products that maintain some level of liquidity but have higher yield or greater interest rate than say a money market for example?

In general I think the questions above seek to elucidate how the Three Fund Portfolio serves to provide income and not just growth & stability (hopefully) in retirement?

I can add some specific detail if needed. I appreciate suggestions!

Dialectical Investor

Post by Dialectical Investor » Sat May 04, 2019 9:15 pm

Basel Hodge wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 8:52 pm
Greetings to all! This is my first post.

My wife and I are about to retire and I find myself struggling with the shift from the collection phase of life to the withdrawal phase. I have generally followed the ‘Three Fund Portfolio’ model (although mine is really four fund with the addition of the International Bond Index).
My questions relate to fixed income investing:

1. Does the 3 fund model provide accessible dividends such that one can avoid adding a specific component to the portfolio to create dividends? I wonder if adding extra investment components goes counter to the simplicity and comprehensive nature of the 3 of 4 fund portfolio concept.

2. Considering emergency money or cash on the sidelines, are there common investment products that maintain some level of liquidity but have higher yield or greater interest rate than say a money market for example?

In general I think the questions above seek to elucidate how the Three Fund Portfolio serves to provide income and not just growth & stability (hopefully) in retirement?

I can add some specific detail if needed. I appreciate suggestions!
Welcome.

Re: 1), the three-fund portfolio does not provide for this, nor should any portfolio, because it is not necessary. If you need cash, sell some shares. If this sounds wrong to you, you are not alone. You can use the search bar in the upper-right corner to search for "dividends" and find many threads about this. The focus should not be on income but rather on total return.

Re: 2), there are higher-yielding liquid options, but they entail risk of some other sort. So you can take on more term risk (interest-rate risk) by investing in securities with longer durations, or you can take on more credit risk--think chance of default. Assuming you don't want much of either risk, and depending on how you frame "liquidity" and on current market rates, you might find a money market mutual fund, bank money market, direct bank CD, high-yield savings account, short-term bond fund, etc. provides what you are loooking for.

Topic Author
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

"Total Return Versus Income Approach"

Post by Taylor Larimore » Sat May 04, 2019 9:58 pm

Basel Hodge:

Welcome to the Bogleheads Forum!

As Dialectical Investor explained, it is usually a mistake to focus on dividend stocks for income. This Vanguard Study confirms:

Spending From a Portfolio: Implications of a Total-Return Approach Versus an Income Approach for Taxable Investors

It is possible to add more funds to The Three-Fund Portfolio (which holds over 15,000 securities) but I believe the additional cost and complexity of adding overlapping funds is seldom worth it.

Read my "Simplicity" link below.

Best wishes.
Taylor

Basel Hodge

Post by Basel Hodge » Mon May 06, 2019 9:37 am

Thank you Taylor & Dialectical Investor for your thoughtful responses to my post. I’ve read the linked material and I think I understand the underlying rationale. It does prompt some follow up questions. First I think some additional information might be in order…
======
I do have a pension which is about 2.5 % the amount of my total current portfolio per year. I’m 61 years old.
My portfolio is allocated generally 65% Stock 35% bond
My portfolio has the following percentages:
IRA 34%
Roth 15%
Joint acct (Non tax advantaged) 39%
Cash 12%
My age based priority plan for withdrawal in retirement:
Before age 70.5
1. Taxable accounts first (joint acct)
2. Traditional IRA second (Taxable)
3. Roth IRA third
After 70.5
1. Traditional IRA first (RMD taxable)
2. Taxable accounts second (joint acct)
3. Roth IRA third

General principles
1. Use Joint taxable account to establish a yearly spend account. This should be an account that pays the highest interest rate possible yet remains liquid. Assets used for expenditures for that year. (Money Market?)
2. Direct dividends from Joint account to Spending account (currently being re-invested).
3. Set aside cash in rebalancing portfolio by reducing stock portion of joint account to meet spending.
=======
The questions:
1. Given the responses regarding dividends in my last post, I want to be certain regarding my plan (general principals section #2) to direct dividends from the joint act. (non taxed advantaged) to my spend account makes sense. Up to this point in my life all dividends in all accounts have been reinvested. Or have I misunderstood the answer to my previous post?

2. Is there anything in the description of my portfolio that raises any red flags or provides any reason for concern?
Again thank you for your thoughtful response.

patrick013

Re: "Total Return Versus Income Approach"

Post by patrick013 » Mon May 06, 2019 10:59 am

Vanguard will never have a study where the dividend fund would be dominant.

Going back to 1952 and even current 10 year periods it's not surprising that the dividend index used in the other dividend study would outperform the market portfolio by over 1.5%, more than enough to cover taxes. Of course a similar study index like the NASDAP Dividend Acheivers 50 doesn't have market history back to 1952 and can only be referred to in the older study and by current historical returns and difference, which are very close to the expected difference calc'd starting in 1952. What I am saying is VG doesn't use an index in any of it's studies that is capable of beating the market portfolio.

So, until proven otherwise I'll take the extra 1.5% return as is currently observed in current 10 year return observations as relevant statistical information regarding a dividend tilt.
age in bonds, buy-and-hold, 10 year business cycle

Dialectical Investor

Post by Dialectical Investor » Mon May 06, 2019 1:52 pm

Basel Hodge wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 9:37 am
Thank you Taylor & Dialectical Investor for your thoughtful responses to my post. I’ve read the linked material and I think I understand the underlying rationale. It does prompt some follow up questions. First I think some additional information might be in order…
======
I do have a pension which is about 2.5 % the amount of my total current portfolio per year. I’m 61 years old.
My portfolio is allocated generally 65% Stock 35% bond
My portfolio has the following percentages:
IRA 34%
Roth 15%
Joint acct (Non tax advantaged) 39%
Cash 12%
My age based priority plan for withdrawal in retirement:
Before age 70.5
1. Taxable accounts first (joint acct)
2. Traditional IRA second (Taxable)
3. Roth IRA third
After 70.5
1. Traditional IRA first (RMD taxable)
2. Taxable accounts second (joint acct)
3. Roth IRA third

General principles
1. Use Joint taxable account to establish a yearly spend account. This should be an account that pays the highest interest rate possible yet remains liquid. Assets used for expenditures for that year. (Money Market?)
2. Direct dividends from Joint account to Spending account (currently being re-invested).
3. Set aside cash in rebalancing portfolio by reducing stock portion of joint account to meet spending.
=======
The questions:
1. Given the responses regarding dividends in my last post, I want to be certain regarding my plan (general principals section #2) to direct dividends from the joint act. (non taxed advantaged) to my spend account makes sense. Up to this point in my life all dividends in all accounts have been reinvested. Or have I misunderstood the answer to my previous post?

2. Is there anything in the description of my portfolio that raises any red flags or provides any reason for concern?
Again thank you for your thoughtful response.
Yes, I would not reinvest dividends in taxable if you need cash to spend. If you're not sure if you will need the cash, you could turn off auto-reinvest and then evaluate once or twice a year and reinvest manually or re-allocate if you determine you don't need the cash.

Withdrawal strategies can be complicated, as short-term and long-term tax implications need to be evaluated. For instance, you might consider doing Roth IRA conversions. You might also be interested in this Withdrawal Methods page in the Wiki.

You will likely get more (and better) responses if you start a new thread about withdrawal sequencing in retirement in the Personal Investments forum. You'll probably be asked for more info, such as marginal tax rate and spending needs.

Topic Author
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Re: Articles recommending The Three-Fund Portfolio

Post by Taylor Larimore » Wed May 08, 2019 9:48 pm

Taylor Larimore wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:44 pm
Bogleheads:

"The Three-Fund Portfolio -- Morningstar

Best wishes.
Taylor
Last edited by Taylor Larimore on Wed May 08, 2019 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gary Guss

Post by Gary Guss » Wed May 08, 2019 10:01 pm

Thanks Taylor!

abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Thu May 09, 2019 10:02 pm

Thanks Taylor!

bizkitgto

Post by bizkitgto » Mon May 13, 2019 11:40 pm

Taylor - what is your current portfolio asset allocation?

Topic Author
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Tue May 14, 2019 9:30 am

bizkitgto wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 11:40 pm
bizkitgto:

Last I looked it was about 25% Vanguard Total Bond Market Index Fund and 75% Total Stock Market Index Fund (my income supports my modest lifestyle).

Thank you, Jack!

Best wishes
Taylor

abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Wed May 15, 2019 8:07 am

Taylor Larimore wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:30 am
bizkitgto wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 11:40 pm
bizkitgto:

Last I looked it was about 25% Vanguard Total Bond Market Index Fund and 75% Total Stock Market Index Fund (my income supports my modest lifestyle).

Thank you, Jack!

Best wishes
Taylor
Hi Taylor -

Are those percentages reversed with 25% invested in Total Stock? Was not sure if you followed Jack's "age in bonds" guidance?