Lock Strategy for New House

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
supalong52

Lock Strategy for New House

Post by supalong52 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:57 pm

We just bought a house and we are going to switch out the exterior locks and the garage entry lock. I'm trying to balance security with convenience and cost. Here's what I'm currently considering:

Front door lock -- something heavy duty like a Medeco m3 (6 pin) or Abloy Protec2. I like the Medeco because it is less expensive than the Abloy and has the ability to remove the inside latch using the key in special circumstances like when we go on vacation. Our door has glass on it so that makes it particularly desirable to prevent an intruder from breaking the glass and opening the latch by reaching through.

Garage side door lock -- I don't anticipate ever needing to access the house this way so I would put a one-sided deadbolt that can only be opened from the inside. A cheap Schlage should do the trick. Would of course reinforce the strike plate, etc.

Garage interior entry lock -- we have a keypad to open the garage door so it would be nice to have at least one way into the house without needing keys. I would like a smart lock here and ideally it autolocks and unlocks so we have an easier time bringing in groceries, yet is still secure. Any suggestions here? I feel like auto unlock tech is not that widespread yet. The August seems to have it based on geofencing. I might just put a basic keypad lock on here for the time being until something decent comes out. I guess one negative of doing a fancy lock for the front is that we couldn't get something keyed alike for the garage entry door.

What are other people doing for locks, and does anyone see any issues with our plan?

graeme

Re: Lock Strategy for New House

Post by graeme » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:22 pm

Instead of just reinforcing the strike plate you may want to consider reinforcing the entire frame with a type of 'door jamb armor' so it's cannot be easily kicked in.

Do you have children? We found it helpful to not have keys on the house or garage at all. Some Simplex mechanical keypad locks have worked well for many years. Electronic options do offer more convenience, but there were concerns about how easy it was to hack them to gain entry as has happened with some garage openers.

With no house keys and a FOB for the car, carrying zero keys is nice.

mrc

Post by mrc » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:30 pm

supalong52 wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:57 pm
What are other people doing for locks, and does anyone see any issues with our plan?
A minimum of three large dogs.

Exterior lights at night.

Anyone—if they want to badly enough—can break into your house. I want them to pick another house.
Macs are for those who don’t want to know why their computer works | Linux is for those who do | DOS is for those who want to know why their computer doesn’t work | Windows is for those who don’t

sport

Post by sport » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:31 pm

I figure that most any door can be kicked in or forced, and we have windows in the doors. So, we have ordinary locks all keyed the same and an alarm system. Keep in mind that you can make all the doors "bulletproof" and an intruder can climb in a window. Our alarm system works for the windows and we have an interior motion sensor. As a bonus, the alarm system has a smoke detector and will summon the fire department.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:33 pm

Home security involves a lot more than just locks.
Think of a comprehensive strategy.
*Video Cams with remote monitoring.
Locks and deadbolts.
Visibility at entry areas.
Lock accessibility in case of fire, emergency, etc.
Outside fencing, etc.
Motion Lights.
Window and patio door entry security measures
etc.
*Anything that can be a deterrent so that nefarious folks will choose another house.

Here are 2 videos on quick entry lock and deadbolt techniques that might help:
Rapid Entry Techniques
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzWfNejwVVY
Electric entry techniques
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mMS5XZjBM8
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

CAsage

Post by CAsage » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:36 pm

I have found that a small coded lockbox secured somewhere on the property with a spare key invaluable for the day my toddler merrily slammed the door while getting the mail (hee hee!), or when I accidentally walk out without a key. Or when I lock myself in the back yard because I thought the back door was unlocked and I just locked the gate..... Is there a way a front door lock could fail and you would need access via a rear door?

https://www.amazon.com/Kidde-AccessPoin ... 181&sr=8-5
Salvia Clevelandii "Winifred Gilman" my favorite. YMMV; not a professional advisor.

Topic Author
supalong52

Post by supalong52 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:45 pm

graeme wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:22 pm
Instead of just reinforcing the strike plate you may want to consider reinforcing the entire frame with a type of 'door jamb armor' so it's cannot be easily kicked in.

Do you have children? We found it helpful to not have keys on the house or garage at all. Some Simplex mechanical keypad locks have worked well for many years. Electronic options do offer more convenience, but there were concerns about how easy it was to hack them to gain entry as has happened with some garage openers.

Yeah we're considering other types of ways to prevent the door from getting kicked in, but really the glass is the weakest point of entry for our door.

We are expecting our first kid. We are planning to have remote access to the house via the garage and garage entry door. Will check out the mechanical keypad locks you mentioned.
sport wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:31 pm
I figure that most any door can be kicked in or forced, and we have windows in the doors. So, we have ordinary locks all keyed the same and an alarm system. Keep in mind that you can make all the doors "bulletproof" and an intruder can climb in a window. Our alarm system works for the windows and we have an interior motion sensor. As a bonus, the alarm system has a smoke detector and will summon the fire department.
We have an alarm system installed, but I don't plan on paying for monitoring. There's a product called Konnect that will retrofit our alarm system into a smart system.
Sandtrap wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:33 pm
Locks and deadbolts.
Outside fencing, etc.
Motion Lights.
etc.
*Anything that can be a deterrent so that nefarious folks will choose another house.

Rapid Entry Techniques
Yeah we are planning on doing some additional security stuff too, but just wanted to ask about doors here. Will probably do a combo of the Konnect smart system plus some cameras, etc.

I'm assuming a Medeco or Protec 2 will be immune from the basic lock picking techniques, whether mechanical or electrical...Who knows if that's well-founded or not...
CAsage wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:36 pm
I have found that a small coded lockbox secured somewhere on the property with a spare key invaluable for the day my toddler merrily slammed the door while getting the mail (hee hee!), or when I accidentally walk out without a key. Or when I lock myself in the back yard because I thought the back door was unlocked and I just locked the gate..... Is there a way a front door lock could fail and you would need access via a rear door?

Thanks for the suggestion. I think with our keyless garage door + garage entry door access we should be safe from lock outs. Plus the front door deadlock would need a key before it can be locked.

Uniballer

Post by Uniballer » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:27 pm

Think twice about putting a lock on your exterior garage man door that you can't unlock from the outside. Consider how much easier it is to enter through that door when you arrive home to a house with no power and want to get the car and your family out of the bad weather. It doesn't matter where you live, stuff happens.

OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:47 pm

mrc wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:30 pm
supalong52 wrote:

Anyone—if they want to badly enough—can break into your house. I want them to pick another house.
You dont need three dogs....I only have two dobermans and they take care of our place just fine. We spent a lot of money on lighting, cameras and security and I agree if someone wants to come in they will try. I have also learned that it is ok to shoot down someones drone if they want to try and video your place. I was just shooting skeet officer...

CaliJim

Post by CaliJim » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:54 pm

have your local locksmith or PD come out and give you an evaluation.

watch some youtube lock pick videos (IE: Santrap's links) regarding locks you can buy at the local hardware store, typically they are no good at all. i would not recommend ie: masterlock, schlage. your locksmith will have much better products.

keep your most valuable valuables encrypted in the banks safedeposit box.

backup *EVERYTHING* on your computer and put the backup in the SD Box.
-calijim- | | For more info, click this Wiki

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:09 pm

OldBallCoach wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:47 pm
mrc wrote:
supalong52 wrote:

You dont need three dogs....I only have two dobermans and they take care of our place just fine. We spent a lot of money on lighting, cameras and security and I agree if someone wants to come in they will try. I have also learned that it is ok to shoot down someones drone if they want to try and video your place. I was just shooting skeet officer...
"I have also learned that it is ok to shoot down someones drone if they want to try and video your place. I was just shooting skeet officer..."

Not where we are , they have arrested 3 people already for this and confiscated all weapons on site...
https://www.newsday.com/long-island/cri ... 1.27702974
Suggest alternate plan with alternate means , they are out there.

GCD

Post by GCD » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:10 pm

Good choice on the Medeco. As mentioned above, you need to seriously reinforce the door frame. Putting a super high quality deadbolt on a normal door won't do any good. Pull off the trim and you will see what I mean. The deadbolt is only going into trimwork, i.e. a 1x2 at best. It doesn't matter how awesome your deadbolt is if it's only backed up by some lightweight wood.

When I custom built a home once I put steel bars in the door frame and used 6 inch screws to attach the steel plate to the 2x4s in the wall frame. That meant if someone wanted to kick in the door they would have to rip the deadbolt out of the door itself, or push the deadbolt through 1/2 inch of 1/4 inch thick steel plate, or rip a 5 foot tall steel plate secured with (5) 6 inch screws from a 2x4 that was part of the frame of the house. Under that circumstance Medeco deadbolts made sense and that's what I used.

In my current spec home with glass side lights on the front door there is no way to sink screws into the wall. It's all flimsy trim work for a couple feet in both directions. Consequently I have stuck with whatever junk the builder put in.

Just be careful you don't spend money on one part of a system without beefing up the rest of the system.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:14 pm

supalong52 wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:45 pm
graeme wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:22 pm

Yeah we're considering other types of ways to prevent the door from getting kicked in, but really the glass is the weakest point of entry for our door.

We are expecting our first kid. We are planning to have remote access to the house via the garage and garage entry door. Will check out the mechanical keypad locks you mentioned.
sport wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:31 pm
We have an alarm system installed, but I don't plan on paying for monitoring. There's a product called Konnect that will retrofit our alarm system into a smart system.
Sandtrap wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:33 pm
Locks and deadbolts.
Outside fencing, etc.
Motion Lights.
etc.

Rapid Entry Techniques
Yeah we are planning on doing some additional security stuff too, but just wanted to ask about doors here. Will probably do a combo of the Konnect smart system plus some cameras, etc.

I'm assuming a Medeco or Protec 2 will be immune from the basic lock picking techniques, whether mechanical or electrical...Who knows if that's well-founded or not...
CAsage wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion. I think with our keyless garage door + garage entry door access we should be safe from lock outs. Plus the front door deadlock would need a key before it can be locked.
Problem is that as long as you have windows in the rest of the home the house will never be secure from any real attempt. That along with the fact that most door frames are no where near as strong as the deadbolt and your weakest spot is never the door lock itself. If you garage door is not clearly visible and facing the road thief's will take a battery operated saw and just cut through that door in 15 seconds as well.
Sandtrap has posted a very good summary of home protection along with removing/locking/ and securing items on the inside for those who will always get through.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:27 pm

Houses are incredibly easy to break into. Burglars in my area use brute force instead of lock picks. They could care less what kind of locks are on the door. A good 24 volt battery skill saw with a new blade can open a good size hole in a wooden or fiberglass door in less than 3 minutes. A battery powered sawzall will easily also go right thru siding and drywall to make a nice sized entry hole if you don't have a solid brick house with steel doors and no windows. A heavy duty pry bar and sledge can knock almost any back door completely off its hinges in 30 seconds. They can also break out the glass in a window or french patio or porch door in 2 minutes.

The only thing that works is to make the bad guys chose next door instead of your house. They don't like being filmed or having alarms go off. Get some outside cameras and a good security system with motion sensors. Make sure cameras are visible and signage of security alarm is posted and easy to see. Also bonus tip - if possible use and display a security alarm system sign that is not actually your brand of system. Much better to not tip off outsiders as to what specific alarm and service you have inside. Alarm signs for most brands are avail on ebay. Also your alarm must use cell phone call out technology. Alarms wired to land line and internet to call out are virtually useless because those wired external connections are exposed take 30 secs to cut on the side of the house.

CaliJim

Post by CaliJim » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:18 pm

folks may be interested in how firefighters use irons to breach doors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrLeDZI-EfY
-calijim- | | For more info, click this Wiki

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:19 pm

I don't do anything special for the locks or doors since it would be far easier for a burglar to just break a window to get in if he didn't feel like kicking the door in. Any burglar who makes it into my home would be severely disappointed in the contents anyway.

pdavi21

Post by pdavi21 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:24 pm

Has anyone had someone attempt to kick the door in, fail, and leave? :oops:
"We spend a great deal of time studying history, which, let's face it, is mostly the history of stupidity." -Stephen Hawking

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:32 pm

Uniballer wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:27 pm
Think twice about putting a lock on your exterior garage man door that you can't unlock from the outside. Consider how much easier it is to enter through that door when you arrive home to a house with no power and want to get the car and your family out of the bad weather. It doesn't matter where you live, stuff happens.
That was my first thought. At some point it will be annoying to me.

I sort of doubt that locks make much of a difference. People aren't going to pick locks. They are going to break the door or go through a window. Maybe you have a higher class of burglar than the areas I have lived😁

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:35 pm

supalong52 wrote:
We just bought a house and we are going to switch out the exterior locks and the garage entry lock. I'm trying to balance security with convenience and cost. Here's what I'm currently considering:

Front door lock -- something heavy duty like a Medeco m3 (6 pin) or Abloy Protec2. I like the Medeco because it is less expensive than the Abloy and has the ability to remove the inside latch using the key in special circumstances like when we go on vacation. Our door has glass on it so that makes it particularly desirable to prevent an intruder from breaking the glass and opening the latch by reaching through.

Garage side door lock -- I don't anticipate ever needing to access the house this way so I would put a one-sided deadbolt that can only be opened from the inside. A cheap Schlage should do the trick. Would of course reinforce the strike plate, etc.

Garage interior entry lock -- we have a keypad to open the garage door so it would be nice to have at least one way into the house without needing keys. I would like a smart lock here and ideally it autolocks and unlocks so we have an easier time bringing in groceries, yet is still secure. Any suggestions here? I feel like auto unlock tech is not that widespread yet. The August seems to have it based on geofencing. I might just put a basic keypad lock on here for the time being until something decent comes out. I guess one negative of doing a fancy lock for the front is that we couldn't get something keyed alike for the garage entry door.

We change all exterior locks, the security system and the garage door opener.

brianH

Post by brianH » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:06 pm

tim1999 wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:19 pm
I don't do anything special for the locks or doors since it would be far easier for a burglar to just break a window to get in if he didn't feel like kicking the door in. Any burglar who makes it into my home would be severely disappointed in the contents anyway.
That's pretty much my thinking.

Unless you feel like putting bars on your ground-level windows, I don't see how a determined thief wouldn't just walk around back, crack a window, unlatch and climb inside. Bonus, it isn't as likely anyone will hear/see him kicking the front door in.

Not much of value in here, and firearms in the bedroom for when were home.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:19 pm

pdavi21 wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:24 pm
Has anyone had someone attempt to kick the door in, fail, and leave? :oops:
girls next door to me had their back door kicked in last summer. I don't believe it was random, by the items taken it was most likely someone they knew.

Honestly, pretty easy to break a window for entry into any home and with Ring and the like, unclear why any burglar would attempt entry at a front door anymore - well, it wouldn't be my first choice.
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:27 pm

deleted
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.

darrvao777

Post by darrvao777 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:53 pm

brianH wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:06 pm
tim1999 wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:19 pm
That's pretty much my thinking.

Unless you feel like putting bars on your ground-level windows, I don't see how a determined thief wouldn't just walk around back, crack a window, unlatch and climb inside. Bonus, it isn't as likely anyone will hear/see him kicking the front door in.

Not much of value in here, and firearms in the bedroom for when were home.
We have impact resistant windows across the entire house (more for weather reasons)

But it also helps with sound deadening and impact against intrusion

Devil's Advocate

Post by Devil's Advocate » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:17 pm

I put security film on the ground level windows of my house. Kind of a pain in the ass to put on. Makes the burglar work a bit harder to get in.

DA

nordsteve

Post by nordsteve » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:00 pm

Our house key system has knobs that open with a K key, deadbolts with a D key. Shed padlocks have a S key. A M master key opens every lock. That's the only house key I carry.

This allows us to give the K key to tradespeople but retain the ability to lock the house to them.

Topic Author
supalong52

Post by supalong52 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:03 pm

I feel so confused now! I need to sleep on these responses...

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:51 am

supalong52 wrote:
We just bought a house and we are going to switch out the exterior locks and the garage entry lock. I'm trying to balance security with convenience and cost.
What's on the doors now? I was more worried about who had the keys besides the previous owner and realtor, so I re-keyed the locks myself. It's a quick first step. Not too difficult if you're a little mechanically inclined. It's very inexpensive and you can have the convenience of having the same key open whatever locks you want. It could give you some time to address each door as needed. If you're not putting anything valuable in the garage, leave that problem for later, and harden the priority items first. I later changed out some of the home locks and added electronic combination lock, which is also very convenient if you forget a key or don't carry a key at all.

https://www.amazon.com/Kwikset-Keyway-R ... 004FOLHEK/
https://www.amazon.com/Deadbolts-Keyles ... are-Locks/

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:27 am

CAsage wrote:
Not being able to lock myself out is my first consideration for choosing locks. That means I use a deadbolt, which can only be locked (from the outside) with a key, and a passage handle, which cannot be locked at all.

As for locks failing. I did have the passage handle fail. The cam that connected the handle to the bolt broke so spinning the handle did not retract the bolt. Fortunately passage handles are easily jimmied, but it would have been a problem for my wife or brother. It's at least theoretically possible a lock could fail in the same way. It's always good to have a second means of ingress.

GCD

Post by GCD » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:24 am

Bars on windows just have a depressing feel to them. I wouldn't do that although my MIL did. If I felt that insecure I would move to another place.

I considered putting in hurricane windows in the house I built. It was too costly for my taste at the time and that would have been doing it from the ground up, not remodeling. If you don't have existing hurricane windows in your house already it is probably way too expensive to put them in. There are some videos on line of firemen having to use a power saw to get through the window because hand tools bounce right off.

I think you just have to rely on burglars not wanting to make noise. After a certain point you need to accept that turning your house into a castle is cosmetically unappealing and might cost more than what a burglar would steal, minus whatever your insurance pays you back.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:41 am

supalong52 wrote:
An acquaintance of mine had their house broken into last year. The thief simply went to the backside of the house, broke a window, stepped in. The most reinforced door with the most impenetrable lock wouldn't have stopped them.

Like others said, I would spend my time and energy in scaring and capturing the perpetrator with alarms and video surveillance.

TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:28 pm

It is revelatory to see the steps folks need to take to protect their homes. When we sold our last home of 25 years we had to change the built-in lockset (the sort built into the handle) as we could not find the key, never locked the door.

We did start t take the keys out of the car more recently, I regard it as helping a wayward teen from going even more wayward.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:00 pm

Do you have a security system?

Every house has a weakest point. In your house it might be a bulkhead, slider or the windows. Spending a lot on the doors may only make your home slightly less vulnerable.
Very Stable Genius

mmcmonster

Post by mmcmonster » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:19 pm

mrc wrote:
Agree 100%. I'm not into dogs, though.

I've got:
1. Good lighting all around the house that comes on automatically 1/2 hour before sunset until a random time between 10:30-11:30pm.
2. Lorex night-vision security cameras that overlap coverage and cover up to an acre all around the house with two weeks of on-site monitoring.
3. ADT home monitoring for motion sensor alarms and fire, with a sign clearly visible from the walkway to my front door.
4. Ring video doorbell with two-way audio. The field of view of the Ring covers the entire street outside our house and even the couple houses across the street.

The security cameras and ADT sign are easily visible for anyone looking to "case" the neighborhood. The Ring is obviously visible to someone who walks up to the front door and is considering a crime of opportunity. (ie: if my wife answers the door and it's not obvious if anyone else is in the house)

Getting back on topic: I use standard key sets for the front and back doors with three sets of keys. My wife and I each have a set and a third set is with one of my friends who lives down the block.

My garage door does not have a key to get in. It has a key pad so the kids can punch it in and get in without a key. The house is on a generator backup so I'm not concerned about the garage losing power during a storm.

The really expensive and irreplaceable stuff in the house (my wife's jewelry, passports, some hard currency) are in a safe that's sunk into the foundation with a hidden door. If the house burns down I just make sure the wife and kids are safe. The rest is just "stuff".

OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:22 am

smitcat wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:09 pm
OldBallCoach wrote:
mrc wrote:
supalong52 wrote:

"I have also learned that it is ok to shoot down someones drone if they want to try and video your place. I was just shooting skeet officer..."

Not where we are , they have arrested 3 people already for this and confiscated all weapons on site...
Well in this case the idiot was buzzing over our pool and patio and being a real pain in the ass...my wife drove down to the our gate at the road where Captain moron was standing with his controls and asked him once nicely to get out...he told her to F off and that was pretty much the end of any conversation over that issue. My DW came back and dispatched the unit with great care to be sure there would be no other damage done. Never really heard much until a few days later then a very polite officer stopped over and my DW explained it to the officer. Officer pretty much told her next time call them she could see how it could have gotten in the way of your skeet range. It is a good 200 yards from the road into our house and the guy was just being a problem. DW saw a threat to her domain and resolved it. If someone was picking the lock at the gate at your house what would you do after you told them to leave and they didnt? Yes call the police is the best answer but sometimes you protect your family first. No humans were hurt and that drone is in a better place now...

dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:25 am

Some of the best "security" is a nosy neighbor. :happy

I also think that "fire safety" may present a bigger risk than someone breaking in. I am concerned about getting out of the house safely in case of fire - so do not want any security features to impede that - such as some deadbolt lock arrangements.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:34 am

OldBallCoach wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:22 am
smitcat wrote:
OldBallCoach wrote:
mrc wrote:
supalong52 wrote:

Well in this case the idiot was buzzing over our pool and patio and being a real pain in the ass...my wife drove down to the our gate at the road where Captain moron was standing with his controls and asked him once nicely to get out...he told her to F off and that was pretty much the end of any conversation over that issue. My DW came back and dispatched the unit with great care to be sure there would be no other damage done. Never really heard much until a few days later then a very polite officer stopped over and my DW explained it to the officer. Officer pretty much told her next time call them she could see how it could have gotten in the way of your skeet range. It is a good 200 yards from the road into our house and the guy was just being a problem. DW saw a threat to her domain and resolved it. If someone was picking the lock at the gate at your house what would you do after you told them to leave and they didnt? Yes call the police is the best answer but sometimes you protect your family first. No humans were hurt and that drone is in a better place now...
I hear you and I agree to most of it.
Someone picking a lock to my front gate is not equivalent to a small drone powered remotely.
I am sure you got the license plate number to the car and filed against the creep?

OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:00 am

smitcat wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:34 am
OldBallCoach wrote:
smitcat wrote:
OldBallCoach wrote:
mrc wrote:

Someone picking a lock to my front gate is not equivalent to a small drone powered remotely.
I am sure you got the license plate number to the car and filed against the creep?
We have better than that we have the whole thing on video since he was standing at the gate, we have video, sound, the entire conversation..we also have video of the drone hovering 6 feet over our patio and pool and it had a very nice camera on it too so I am sure this guy was getting video of the whole house and compound. The drone was there for about 10 minutes...before my wife went down to the road as she could see what was up on the video system. Sorry about your drone but stay out of my business and we are fine. In public, hell yes record away...at my house O hell no.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:08 am

OldBallCoach wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:00 am
smitcat wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:34 am
OldBallCoach wrote:
smitcat wrote:
OldBallCoach wrote:

We have better than that we have the whole thing on video since he was standing at the gate, we have video, sound, the entire conversation..we also have video of the drone hovering 6 feet over our patio and pool and it had a very nice camera on it too so I am sure this guy was getting video of the whole house and compound. The drone was there for about 10 minutes...before my wife went down to the road as she could see what was up on the video system. Sorry about your drone but stay out of my business and we are fine. In public, hell yes record away...at my house O hell no.
You have a wonderful life.
There is some clown with a drone.
Its over you for 10+ minutes , all on tape.
You go to the gate 200 yds away to confront a ____ (no idea who is there).
Then proceed to go back 200 yds and take the drone out.
Seems like a huge amount of time to let the local LEO's deal with the moron and not take on any unnecessary liability.
The LEO's would also insure that copies of video taken were destroyed.

Ybsybs

Post by Ybsybs » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:20 am

My strategy is to assess the security level of the neighborhood and seek to be as secure or better than the average.

I also try to avoid looking like I've got better than average stuff to steal. If we get a new TV, we break the box down to fit it into the closed recycling bin rather than putting it out intact on the bulk pickup day.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:18 am

I doubt we have much worth stealing.

YttriumNitrate

Post by YttriumNitrate » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:37 am

Medecos on a residential building, having spent some time in college try to learn how to pick locks I'm impressed. Medeco's are great for commercial properties since they are difficult to copy and provide much better control over how many people have access to their properties. On a residential property, they just seem like an extra hassle you have to go through every time Junior loses his key.

Also, echoing other people's sentiments, putting those locks on your doors seems a lot like putting 4096-Bit RSA encryption on your computer.
https://xkcd.com/538/