What's Your Opinion on Nest Thermostats

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
NavyIC3

What's Your Opinion on Nest Thermostats

Post by NavyIC3 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:50 pm

I've heard varying opinions. Some people love them others not so much.

lthenderson

Re: What's Your Opinion on Nest Thermostats

Post by lthenderson » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:52 pm

I have version one. Hated it when it came out but after a couple years, software updates took care of the bugs and I have no problems with it now. You can buy any number of other cheaper thermostats that can work and do the same things. The only reason I would buy another Nest is for the looks.

SerenityBlue

Post by SerenityBlue » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:58 pm

I can't speak from personal experience about the Nest, but when I was picking a smart thermostat last year, I picked the Ecobee 4 because it comes with 1 individual room temperature sensor that detects both the temp and room occupancy. For the Nest, you need to buy the sensors separately and they only detect temporature. Plus the Ecobee has a microphone built-in and Alexa integrated if you are into using smart assistants. You should also check if your local energy provider is giving discounts for smart thermostats and factor that in as part of your purchase.

That being said, I did purchase a Nest smoke alarm if that says anything.

TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:00 pm

I got one as a door prize. Fairly easy to install and connect to my house wifi. It's nice to look at but I'm not sure whether it's saved me any electricity.

TravelforFun

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:01 pm

NavyIC3 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:50 pm
Its cool tech and all, but we got a thermostat that comes with app from our utility company. I dont see how in my case nest adds value to us.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:04 pm

Have no interest in buying one. I want the temperature what I want it, when I want it. I don't need technology predicting when I'll want it - and more importantly communicating that to the cloud (i.e. no one is home from this time to that time).

I installed Emerson WiFi thermostats a few years ago. While they do communicate with the cloud, they don't have any personal data - they're under a fictitious cartoon character's name. All my "profiles" have innocuous names, not "on vacation" for example.

Full control via app. I have a profile for each day of the week (Monday - Thursday are the same), and a profile for winter vs. summer. Work great, and after $100 per thermostat rebate from my utility company, they were free. Best free money I ever spent.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

ohai

Post by ohai » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:05 pm

Good for rental apartments. Millennials seem to think the rent is worth $200 more with a Nest.

Atilla

Post by Atilla » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:12 pm

Wife just had to have one. Easy to install, it works. Woopie do.
Moderator Warning-Free Since 2017.

vasaver

Post by vasaver » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:13 pm

We had an older version of the Nest, but switched to an EcoBee for the remote sensors. Eventually we switched back to the Nest when the remote senors came out because we missed the Physical knob. We found the EcoBee touch screen wasn't that great the Nest is so much easier adjust the temp.

We did notice that the Away works after 30 minutes on the Nest vs 2 hours with the Ecobee. Saving several hours of heating/cooling a day.

We miss the more advanced Ecobee remote sensors. They sense motion where the Nest one does not.

MortgageOnBlack

Post by MortgageOnBlack » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:16 pm

I have the NEST Thermostat "E" model (less expensive) and will say this from experience: No matter what the Nest website says on compatibility, you absolutely need to make sure you have a C wire ran from your Nest Thermostat to your furnace (usually Blue, but verify connectivity; never assume the HVAC tech followed the standard wiring convention). The Nest website showed my model of furnace as 100% compatible with a 4-wire run. It seemed to run fine for almost a year and I started having short-cycle problems with my furnace. After a long bout of troubleshooting, we ran a 5-wire run from our furnace to the Nest and our furnace has run flawlessly ever since and the short-cycle problem completely resolved itself immediately after the 5-wire run. I have researched and found threads with users with similar experiences.

Overall, I love the device and think it's worth the money, but please pull your existing thermostat off to check the wiring connectivity from the thermostat to your furnace and make sure you have all 5-wires. If the task seems daunting, please hire a HVAC tech.

For what it's worth, I have an IT background and did the following work on my furnace myself with the help of research and the Internet (No HVAC experience at all; only learning after our recent home purchase in October 2016). Our Furnace model number production date is March 2002.

-Install Nest Thermostat
-Run 5-wire thermostat wire
-Replace Fan Control board (ours had a fried capacitor (clearly visible) which caused erratic behavior)
-Replaced main Blower Motor (ours was caked with Dust from a poorly installed return duct which bypassed the filter completely)
-Replaced limit switch
-Cleaned Pressure Switch Tube
-Replace Furnace Filter 8-)

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:25 pm

I got one for free for participating in a home energy audit several years ago.

The Nest is pretty cool, I guess.

Glad I have it, but don't think I would spend money on one.
Funding secured

Marlago35

Post by Marlago35 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:37 pm

I have 3 of them for my 3 zones (downstairs, upstairs, master bedroom). They were heavily discounted from my state energy commission if I recall. They are the newest models. 2 of the 3 have had their WiFi chipsets fail and Google / Nest has sent me a free replacement (just the face, don't need to reconnect it to the wall). That seems to be a common issue as they immediately tell you they'll send a new one once you tell them the error code.

Besides that, it's handy having an app to monitor and control the temperature from the home. It's also synced with my home security system so when we set that to "away" it knows to turn down the heat since we're not home. Otherwise we haven't used the learning functionality much. Beats the Honeywell that came installed in the new construction build.

mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:49 pm

We have one to control our heating and cooling system. We have it set on a schedule but also rely on the Home/Away mode detection. For example, when we leave the house and set the Nest Secure alarm, it lowers the temp for heating and highers it for cooling. That alone saves us many many hours of HVAC usage. We also have several google homes setup with voice control, so its fairly easy to change the temp from anywhere in the house without having to go all the way upstairs. When we go on vacation, we usually turn the heat back on right before we get on the plane. Much better than coming back to a cold house set to 55F like we used to do.

retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:58 pm

easy to install, app does what is is advertised to do. our nest is upstairs, sometimes we tweak the settings from downstairs (saves us some stairs, thus making us probably die younger...)

I use the remote sensor in my home office and it has been a really good fix to a house imbalance issue. probably saves us some serious money on heating and A/C because i can have it cool/heat the room I work from instead of the upstairs I don't go to in the daytime. it is also just a major convenience improvement for that.

Others will do the same. it is not the only option.

BTW, I use the home/away settings on our phones instead of the local sensors. that seems to work just fine.

MortgageOnBlack

Post by MortgageOnBlack » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:59 pm

retiringwhen wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:58 pm
BTW, I use the home/away settings on our phones instead of the local sensors. that seems to work just fine.
I do this as well and don't use any of the local sensors.

Only complaint I have with the Nest System (have thermostat, camera, and smoke/CO detector) is that the auto Away/Home feature doesn't work reliably with our cellphones. We live in a bad cell coverage area, so this might be the issue. The easy fix for this (in my opinion) would be if the Auto/Away feature would also work with cellphone WiFi connectivity as well.

Location Services is set with max control on both phones for Nest app and sometimes the service thinks we are Away when we are in our living room.

I still need to research if anything with this has changed.
Last edited by MortgageOnBlack on Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

topper1296

Post by topper1296 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:03 pm

I have an "old school" programmable Honeywell thermostat that I've for about 10 years that is NOT connected to wifi. I've consider getting a Nest, however what happens if your wifi goes out? Can you still adjust the temp manually? Will it still automatically adjust the temp the way you want it when you're away or at night? I know you would not be able to adjust any temps thru Alexa and/or your phone, but does it still work in general if wifi is out?

caffeperfavore

Post by caffeperfavore » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:04 pm

I have a Nest E. I didn't need the extra bells and whistles (showing me the weather outside, etc.) the pricier Nest. No regrets about that either.

I like it and I think it has saved some energy, especially when I'm out of the house for a while. The best thing is being able to bump up or down the heat or cooling from bed with the app. Prior to the Nest, I was often manually changing our dumb thermostat. I rarely ever have to touch it anymore.
Last edited by caffeperfavore on Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:05 pm

topper1296 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:03 pm
I have an "old school" programmable Honeywell thermostat that I've for about 10 years that is NOT connected to wifi. I've consider getting a Nest, however what happens if your wifi goes out? Can you still adjust the temp manually? Will it still automatically adjust the temp the way you want it when you're away or at night? I know you would not be able to adjust any temps thru Alexa and/or your phone, but does it still work in general if wifi is out?
it works fine locally, no problem, it also has a battery inside to keep the system up if power goes off. no issues with that.

caffeperfavore

Post by caffeperfavore » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:06 pm

topper1296 wrote:
It will work if wifi is out. I believe it just keeps to it's usual schedule and you can manually adjust as needed. However, it may not go into eco mode when you leave the house as it may not know you're gone.

vineviz

Post by vineviz » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:09 pm

topper1296 wrote:
Yes, when the WiFi is down it works like an old-fashioned electronic thermostat.
"Far more money has been lost by investors preparing for corrections than has been lost in corrections themselves." ~~ Peter Lynch

mtmingus

Post by mtmingus » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:21 pm

Works great: the schedule, Home and Away auto sensing.

Coltrane75

Post by Coltrane75 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:03 pm

While its features are convenient, its part of the larger group of products referred to as the "Internet of Things (IoT)".

I don't like these products because of the well documented concerns over their lack of security and privacy.

In some cases, there are products that are in some ways worse than those they replace; others have already mentioned, for this specific product, its vulnerability to network/electrical outages for example.

These days, there are lots of interesting products and services available that present to you increased convenience at the cost of privacy and/or security.

mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:12 pm

topper1296 wrote:
If the wifi goes out, then my house shuts down... :shock:
That said, in practice, I've had my power go out more often than my internet (on an UPS), so my furnace is usually shut down more often than the Nest (which has its own battery backup).

siriusblack

Post by siriusblack » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:15 pm

HVAC contractors HATE Nest thermostats ... 3 reasons:

1. If you didn't buy the Nest, you would probably buy the thermostat from the HVAC contractor ... so it's money out of their pocket.

2. Because Nest is often sold to consumers directly, the consumer usually installs it themselves ... and some percentage of those consumers have problems as a result, so they call their HVAC guy to come fix it. The HVAC guy wants to sell you new equipment, not fix your Nest thermostat.

3. Nest thermostats can't handle some of the more sophisticated HVAC equipment and/or features ... which then results in the consumer being mad at the HVAC guy for not properly informing them and/or being able to make it work.

I personally have 2 nest thermostats and I'm happy with them. But I have a really simple system (no variable speed blower etc.).

vineviz

Post by vineviz » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:41 pm

siriusblack wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:15 pm
3. Nest thermostats can't handle some of the more sophisticated HVAC equipment and/or features ... which then results in the consumer being mad at the HVAC guy for not properly informing them and/or being able to make it work.
I'm not sure it was necessary, but I opted to let my HVAC guys install a Honeywell wifi thermostat when I replaced my furnace/blower so there'd be no doubt all the features of HVAC unit were supported by the thermostat.

The thermostat is not as "smart" as some of my other "smart home" gadgets, but it's been fine.
"Far more money has been lost by investors preparing for corrections than has been lost in corrections themselves." ~~ Peter Lynch

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:42 pm

NavyIC3 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:50 pm
My opinion is that they are worthless.

mrb09

Post by mrb09 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:51 pm

I have three zones and three nest thermostats. Also four nest smoke/co2 monitors.

No complaints. They were easy to install and work well. We have learning set off, just have them on a schedule plus manual overides. My wife loves being able to adjust the temperature on her phone.

Not sure they are the most cost-effective option, but they are well thought through and seem to work really well. Can't say I've made money back on energy costs, but they lessen frustration in my life so there's that.

gtd98765

Post by gtd98765 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:24 pm

If you can navigate a web page and click on times to turn the heat up and down (e.g., up at 7:00am, down at 11:00pm), they are not really any better than far less expensive (e.g., Honeywell) wifi programmable thermostats. However, apparently a mammoth percentage of people who buy programmable thermostats do not in fact program them; this is where the Nest shines: it can detect your presence in the house and your schedule and learn when to turn the heat up and down based on it.

Since i am capable of clicking up-down buttons next to times, we took the cheaper (Honeywell) option, and programmed it based on our schedules. The wifi element is definitely handy; I do enjoy turning the heat up from my cell phone when we arrive at the airport so by the time we get home the house is comfortable.

teamDE

Post by teamDE » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:50 pm

I chose to go with an Ecobee 4 as it supports more platforms (FTTT and Apple Homekit for example) and i like the remote sensors with motion. We live in an old house with steam radiator heat and i was impressed how it learned how the system behaved and really did a good job at leveling out and anticipating temperature needs. I have four sensors in the house and have different sensors assigned to be "in the loop" at different times of the day. They also sense when someone comes home out of schedule and overrides accordingly. Good for random work from home days. It can also "follow" the person in the house and have the setpoint set from the sensor closest to them. I'm impressed.

Definitely check the utility company for rebates and discounts.

Saving$

Post by Saving$ » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:28 pm

1. It senses if someone is home
2. It sends that info to a central website
3. Hackers could gain access to that website and use that info to break into homes

Why have yet one more point of vulnerability? A programmable t-stat works fine. If you need wifi, buy a programmable with wifi.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:18 pm

Honeywell has thermostats that do almost everything the Nest does for a fraction of the cost. I went that route because I just couldn't bring myself to spend the extra money.

Once the novelty of a wifi thermostat wears off, I think you'll be glad you saved the money, too.

JT

ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:34 am

I have a non-wifi programmable thermostat. It does 100% of what I need to do and has been reliable for years: Big money saved and a pre-warmed house when we wake up/get home from work.

mortfree

Post by mortfree » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:55 am

The thing I like most about Nest thermostat is the energy use history.

It helps me to modify the programmed schedule rather than being surprised by a large electric bill or consuming lots of propane without my knowledge.

I don’t use the sensing options to develop the programs.

I also like having the temperature sensors as it helps with controlling when the system runs and ensures the rooms we are in are at the right temperature.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:59 am

Seems like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. But - these days people enjoy being "in control" so I suppose there's a market.

My approach:
- In winter, set thermostat to 67
- In summer, set thermostat to 71

We have pets so it makes no difference if we're home or not. I don't want them to freeze or roast while we're away.

alexander29

Post by alexander29 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:27 am

We’ve found it easier to program and change the program than Honeywell. Best feature so far is to be able to turn it “off” when on vacation via the phone app (needs to be wirelessly connected) and it will keep the heat at a safe level, say 45 degrees. Yes, dumb thermostats can do this too, but during a freeze we could check the temperature at home on our phone while a thousand miles away and adjust if necessary. Peace of mind about frozen pipes.

TooOldForThis

Post by TooOldForThis » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:18 pm

Only one specific problem noted with my Nest thermostat, and it's a silly one (yet one that has no current fix). If you run a Google Home Hub, it changes from Fahrenheit to Celsius. So, if you want to tell Google to change the temperature, you've got to do it in Celsius. How it is that Nest (or Google) can't fix this, I'll never know...but there you have it. Alexa does it for me in Fahrenheit.

ccieemeritus

Post by ccieemeritus » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:02 pm

Best feature of the best is it has a motion sensor and if you don’t walk past it for several hours during the day it turns down the heat.

crystalbank

Post by crystalbank » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:54 am

ohai wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:05 pm
Good for rental apartments. Millennials seem to think the rent is worth $200 more with a Nest.
This made me chuckle, but I tend to think it's true.

cpumechanic

Post by cpumechanic » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:45 am

I have had a Nest for the last few years, it was a gift, I am too cheap to pay for it.
Things I like about it.

When wife and I leave house for a few days, I can have a temp in house that saves energy, but when driving home, I can modify temp prior to arrival so that house is comfortable when we arrive. Heat or cool.

I also like the history feature that shows energy usage by day... I can tell when my away temp is effective when energy usage is zero or a small number of hours for a few days.

I also have relatives that visit house (House sitting) when I am away, and I can remotely, keep house warm for them when they are visiting, then remotely modify temperature settings when no one is home.

We are away, and current set temperature is 50, and energy usage over last 48 hours has been zero per the "history feature".. Spring weather and solar heating from windows are saving me some $ on my electric bill.

It has a very nice interface for installation, and is very easy to install.

It is technology that works in my opinion.

Hope this helps others.

CPU
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for Lunch. | Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:58 am

Unnecessary. I have a good programmable thermostat. I can set what temp I want at what time. Anytime I break schedule I can put it on hold mode and set it manually.

Small Law Survivor

Post by Small Law Survivor » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:18 am

I've been having heating problems in the zone where I have a Nest (1 of 3 zones). I had my oil company come to check up on the boiler, and their advice was: get rid of the Nest. They claim they find them unreliable, and don't advise using them. T'hey didn't try to sell me an alternative (or offer to install one), but they advised me to replace the Nest with a non-WIFI programmable Honeywell model.

They noted that my Nest did not have a C wire (common wire), and they thought that was a significant problem with the Nest. They also asserted that my setup was not ready for a C wire (sorry, that got to technical and I didn't catch the details). In other words, installing a C wire was not a simple matter in my house.
68 yrs, semi-retired lawyer, 50/40/10 s/b/c, 70/30 dom/int'l. Plan: 4% WR until age 70, 3% after social security kicks in. Boglehead since day 1 (and M* Diehard before that) under various other names

mtwhmemn

Post by mtwhmemn » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:20 am

I have a 2 story house that came with 2 2nd generation Nests. I've lived with them for 6 years. I don't use the learning aspect because it just didn't work the way we "use" our house. I just program them to set the temps to our schedule.

What they do well is automatically set the temps to "away" mode when they don't "see" motion in the house. That is how they save energy without you having to intervene.

So, the bottom line is they pay for themselves and after they pay for themselves, they save you money.

I don't get all this talk about smart thermostats not being a logical choice. What isn't logical about a device that more than pays for itself and makes your house more comfortable.

SlowMovingInvestor

Post by SlowMovingInvestor » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:24 am

I may be a Luddite, but I prefer old electromechanical thermostats :).

alpenglow

Post by alpenglow » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:08 am

ohai wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:05 pm
Thanks for the laugh. Unfortunately, it's probably true. I'll stick with my "dumb" thermostat, thank you.

eucalyptus

Post by eucalyptus » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:36 am

I think Google has actually persuaded people to pay to have their personal information collected - information Google will monetize. Brilliant.

emoore

Post by emoore » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:40 am

I agree that it's probably an unessary luxury over a normal programable thermostat. However one of my favorite features is to be able to turn down or up the thermostat when I'm not at home. Makes it one less thing to worry about before going on a trip.

yolli71

Post by yolli71 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:51 am

MortgageOnBlack wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:16 pm
I have the NEST Thermostat "E" model (less expensive) and will say this from experience: No matter what the Nest website says on compatibility, you absolutely need to make sure you have a C wire ran from your Nest Thermostat to your furnace (usually Blue, but verify connectivity; never assume the HVAC tech followed the standard wiring convention). The Nest website showed my model of furnace as 100% compatible with a 4-wire run. It seemed to run fine for almost a year and I started having short-cycle problems with my furnace. After a long bout of troubleshooting, we ran a 5-wire run from our furnace to the Nest and our furnace has run flawlessly ever since and the short-cycle problem completely resolved itself immediately after the 5-wire run. I have researched and found threads with users with similar experiences.

Overall, I love the device and think it's worth the money, but please pull your existing thermostat off to check the wiring connectivity from the thermostat to your furnace and make sure you have all 5-wires. If the task seems daunting, please hire a HVAC tech.

For what it's worth, I have an IT background and did the following work on my furnace myself with the help of research and the Internet (No HVAC experience at all; only learning after our recent home purchase in October 2016). Our Furnace model number production date is March 2002.

-Install Nest Thermostat
-Run 5-wire thermostat wire
-Replace Fan Control board (ours had a fried capacitor (clearly visible) which caused erratic behavior)
-Replaced main Blower Motor (ours was caked with Dust from a poorly installed return duct which bypassed the filter completely)
-Replaced limit switch
-Cleaned Pressure Switch Tube
-Replace Furnace Filter 8-)
Yes, I found this to be the case as well. I have 2 Nest thermostats and ended up having my hvac guy install C wires on both. They work flawlessly now. I really like my Nest thermostats. I don't know how it compares with other wifi thermostats though.

Saving$

Post by Saving$ » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:36 pm

eucalyptus wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:36 am
I think Google has actually persuaded people to pay to have their personal information collected - information Google will monetize. Brilliant.
This.
The main difference between Nest and all the other WiFi Programmable T-stats (and yes, there are MANY others you can access can control from an app on your phone when you are not home) is that the Nest has sensors to determine if people are home, and all that data is transmitted over the internet and stored on a Google serve somewhere in real time.

Nests main contribution to the t-stat market is the design aesthetic of the t-stat became an issue. Once Nest designed something nicer the old ugly, other companies started to do it also. Now there are t-stats that aesthetically look much nicer than the Nest.

Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:41 pm

I have debated getting one, but I'm not sure how valuable it would be to me. My house has two zones: my bedroom suite and the rest of the house.

I like that, in the cold months, I can set the heat remotely so it's warm when I get home, or from downstairs 30 minutes before I plan to retire to my bedroom.

I guess if I'm bringing someone over, I can set the A/C remotely to their preferences (I almost never run the A/C if I'm here myself).

Whether it's worth the price, especially since I'd probably end up getting two, I don't know. My parents have one and they like it, but they have a lower tolerance for heat than I do.
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_ | | I survived my first downturn and all I got was this signature line.

wabbajack

Post by wabbajack » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:21 pm

Saving$ wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:28 pm
1. It senses if someone is home
2. It sends that info to a central website
3. Hackers could gain access to that website and use that info to break into homes

Why have yet one more point of vulnerability? A programmable t-stat works fine. If you need wifi, buy a programmable with wifi.
1. I'm millennial, and I paid to have a Nest installed in my house. I tried installing myself, but the previous owner made a mess of the original thermostat wiring.
2. Nest does a good job of keeping track whether the house needs to be heated/cooled based on my settings (whether I'm away; maintain minimum temperature).
3. Ignore the paranoid comments about hackers and people knowing whether you're home. I don't want to get into a debate about this - I'm just telling you this is a 0% risk.