What frugal thing did you do today?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
dratkinson

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by dratkinson »

TexasPE wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:27 pm Loaded up on my favorite chocolates (in Valentines wrapping) at 50% off! :mrgreen:
Brilliant! Added to my shopping list.

Wait, is it frugal to buy something you weren't planning to buy?

Old idea. When I've needed a frugal chocolate fix, I'd buy the cheaper baking chocolates, instead of the higher-priced stuff.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

I replaced the old Delta faucet set in the hall bathroom. It was dripping and I'd run out of adjustment on it to stem the flow. I knew from my initial attempt that the two polymer nuts holding it to the sink were corroded in place and needed to be chiseled off and for a week I seriously considered calling a plumber to crawl up under it and beat on it. Heck, I even broke my basin wrench on one old nut. Must be the minerals in the well water.

This was my wife's house that's now our house. It's 25 years old and needs a few things. Good thing I've been practicing for 38 years on a house that was built in 1916. I'm too old for this nonsense, but saving a couple hundred bucks is worth it. I needed the exercise anyway.
elainet7

Post by elainet7 »

NOT ME but was told by my friend that a guy here in our country club who is worth over 100m scrapes salt off pretzels, puts it in a jar to take when his pressure is low!! TRUE STORY
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

Is he scraping his pretzels or the free ones at the country club bar? :beer
elainet7

Post by elainet7 »

not sure the source of pretzels but he is worth over 100m takes lots of free coffee as well
IPS&IPA

Post by IPS&IPA »

removed my ingrown toenail by myself
Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses. Jake: Hit it.
sil2017

Post by sil2017 »

Bought air filter and cabin filter from Amazon. Learned how to replaced this in my car through youtube. It took less than one minute. Dealer wanter $119. This is the only diy task I feel confident doing it myself
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

sil2017 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:16 am Bought air filter and cabin filter from Amazon.
Amazon (and other online auto parts stores) have a GARAGE feature which let's you store your car configuration (e.g. 1964 Pontiac GTO, 1974 Karman Ghia, and a 1986 Yugo - all with engine & style info) for easy matching parts. I really like "This part does not fit your car - would you like to see parts that do?"

Makes it easy.
lexie2000

Post by lexie2000 »

I found McCafe decaf on closeout for $1.99/24 oz. can. That is $.12/oz. cheaper than Kirkland's. I read reviews (which were all pretty good) and researched shelf life. I bought enough to keep me in coffee for a while. BTW, it's the smoothest decaf I've ever had.
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

I spent 3 hours with the HVAC designer/salesman because we need a new heat pump, air handler and new duct work. They could patch the 25-year-old cheap ducts under the house, but I want insulated round metal duct work installed. The compressor clangs when it shuts down, the system has lost 2 pounds of refrigerant in three months and it's just generally noisy and on the way out. (We were married in November and this is my wife's house.)

The frugal thing I did? I didn't buy it today. I told him I'd call him and order it all tomorrow.

Seriously, I bought 3 $5.99 frozen pizza supremes for $3.99 each. That will keep us from going out for pizza three times with the accompanying beer and wine tabs.
SmallCityDave

Post by SmallCityDave »

We went on a $100 vacation (not counting lodging and gas).
Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel »

Spent zero dollars today. Shoveled the driveway this morning. Snowblower hasn’t worked all year and we’ve had the 4th snowiest month on record. I’ve gotten lots of exercise, but honestly hasn’t been too bad.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

This was wife being frugal, not me, but...

It was my birthday. My birthday present was getting taken to the Tesla dealership for a test drive. It was actually a much better present than it sounds like it would be. It’s not something I would have thought of doing myself. The car was cool.
mrmass

Post by mrmass »

[/quote]
No doubt. The days of quaffing Miller High Life and PBR are in the rear view mirror... :beer
[/quote]

I'll drink Narragansett while eating out if they have it. It's not bad tasting to me, it's always a 16oz can and usually the cheapest beer option.

When buying to drink at home craft or semi craft (like Allagash White) are favorites.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ Feel free to elaborate in this 18+ page thread: Boglehead Beer
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
telemark

Post by telemark »

Started my bread machine and then noticed that I had forgotten to attach the paddle. The last time I did this, I dumped everything out and started over from scratch. This time I just stopped the machine, reached in, and attached the paddle by feel.
Carson

Post by Carson »

I bought $300 of consumables from the hardware store going out of business for $75. I live in and old house and have a lot of refinishing projects This should keep me in sandpaper for a couple years. Now BH question, should I book it as a prepaid and amortize it?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

As long as you apply it consistently. See: Prepaid expenses accounting - AccountingTools
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Retired1809

Post by Retired1809 »

This is more of a continuing quest than a single frugal thing that I did today but I did set out to learn how to use my local public library's Web site to read many newspapers, magazines (e.g., Consumer Reports) and newsletters (e.g., Harvard Medical Letter) free. I've long used my public library to read not only Morningstar Premium but also their monthly newsletters on funds, stocks and etfs. +1 for Greensboro Public Library!

And a-ha, Today, I did enjoy an afternoon of a free community singalong. A chance to sing with a few hundred local residents in a local theatre. A fun event with no admission charge. It was live-streamed on Facebook and will soon be posted on youtube.

+1 for Greensboro's vibrant downtown scene.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

My 15 year old car needed several minor, easy to do repairs. I bought $50 worth of parts on Amazon, and spent 15 minutes swapping out parts. Everything was easy enough that I didn’t even need to watch any YouTube videos. Probably saved $200 off of what the shop would have charged.
prettybogle

Post by prettybogle »

michaeljc70 wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:43 pm Since it has been like -20 here, spouse is out of town, and I haven't needed to really leave the house I cut back on showers this week. :shock:
Hahaha. My hubby will be awarded divorce if he does that :D
Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott »

The most expenive thing I enjoyed today was listening to the furnace run while watching the snow fall outside.
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

I decided to buy my pickleball rackets online from Amazon, much cheaper, about $40 each. Just yesterday, it’s thinking of paying $110 per racket for both my husband and I. Save about $70 each. Since were beginners, not sure we like this sport yet.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

DrGoogle2017 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:31 am I decided to buy my pickleball rackets online from Amazon, much cheaper, about $40 each. Just yesterday, it’s thinking of paying $110 per racket for both my husband and I. Save about $70 each. Since were beginners, not sure we like this sport yet.
I have no interest in Pickleball - but I see lots of avid folks that seem very "dedicated".
dm200

Post by dm200 »

While I like the occasional beer or wine, I have concluded that just about any amount of alcohol is an increased health risk.

Not buying beer, wine, etc. saves money.
TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy »

lexie2000 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:11 pm I found McCafe decaf on closeout for $1.99/24 oz. can. That is $.12/oz. cheaper than Kirkland's. I read reviews (which were all pretty good) and researched shelf life. I bought enough to keep me in coffee for a while. BTW, it's the smoothest decaf I've ever had.
McCafe is really good coffee, and for just $1 any size it can't be beat. I didn't know they sold their coffee as well, I wonder if you just walk in and ask for ground coffee at one of their locations.
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

dm200 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:54 am
DrGoogle2017 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:31 am I decided to buy my pickleball rackets online from Amazon, much cheaper, about $40 each. Just yesterday, it’s thinking of paying $110 per racket for both my husband and I. Save about $70 each. Since were beginners, not sure we like this sport yet.
I have no interest in Pickleball - but I see lots of avid folks that seem very "dedicated".
It’s a lot of fun. But I’m now going to pay $85 each from the coach because I checked on Amazon that is the price. Plus coach said I’m a good player, don’t waste money on the cheap racket.
bearcub

Post by bearcub »

Walked through an H-Mart and tasted all their samples. No need to spend cash on lunch.
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus »

prettybogle wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:24 pm
michaeljc70 wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:43 pm Since it has been like -20 here, spouse is out of town, and I haven't needed to really leave the house I cut back on showers this week. :shock:
Depending on your lifestyle, you do not need to shower everyday. Excess showering is bad for your skin. Lots of articles from dermatologists about it. But people won't think about it rationally because they feel "dirty" if they don't shower once a day.

Of course it you go to the gym or after a run, etc., you'll want to shower. But many people shower way too often and for too long.
Dantes

Post by Dantes »

We recently replaced a 20 year old mattress with new new mattress-in-a-box. That left us with the old king-size mattress to dispose of. We do not live in an area with a mattress-recycling facility, so DW and I took the mattress apart, and extracted all the metal springs - we couldn't see all that steel going to a landfill.

'The frugal part is we took the steel to a metal recycler; it was I think 70 pounds, and we got over three dollars.

Taking the mattress apart was certainly 8 hours of labor from each of us, but we are retired, so the marginal cost of our time is zero. Plus we spent the three dollars on a lottery ticket (which we normally never buy); the payout for the next drawing is 494 million, so its got great potential!
dm200

Post by dm200 »

Caduceus wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:24 am
prettybogle wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:24 pm
Depending on your lifestyle, you do not need to shower everyday. Excess showering is bad for your skin. Lots of articles from dermatologists about it. But people won't think about it rationally because they feel "dirty" if they don't shower once a day.
Of course it you go to the gym or after a run, etc., you'll want to shower. But many people shower way too often and for too long.
Lately, I have been showering at a community gym. Using taxpayer funded water, soap, heat for water and towel. :happy
TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy »

bearcub wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:47 am Walked through an H-Mart and tasted all their samples. No need to spend cash on lunch.
:D
I used to find free pizza when I was in graduate school. There always was some presentation or the other in our largish EECS department.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

TheOscarGuy wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:12 pm
bearcub wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:47 am Walked through an H-Mart and tasted all their samples. No need to spend cash on lunch.
I used to find free pizza when I was in graduate school. There always was some presentation or the other in our largish EECS department.
Yes - LOVE Costco for the samples.

At work, stay attune to food left over from events. :)
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

dm200 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:14 pm

At my last job there was a freefood email list.
TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy »

quantAndHold wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:19 pm

I count that as a perk :happy . I miss free food from graduate school.
In my megacorp we don't even have kitchenette.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

quantAndHold wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:19 pm
Folks (like me) at various places I have worked where there were such meeting leftovers were much like vultures circling and looking for a dying animal.
GoneOnTilt

Post by GoneOnTilt »

Drank my tea at home, rather than buying it on the way to work. Brought my lunch instead of buying on the road.

My wife and I recently stopped buying our morning coffee at DD (we both drank coffee until very recently when I detoxed and switched to tea). We are saving $91.60 per month, and $1,099 per year. It now goes in the bank. :sharebeer
dm200

Post by dm200 »

When we each reached 65, we got a Senior Metro bus and rail card. On occasions when we use the bus or subway, we pay less than half the normal fee.

In this area, sometimes you can make the same trip either by bus or by bus and subway. if you can take bus only, it is less expensive.
GoneOnTilt

Post by GoneOnTilt »

I made a nice pot of chorizo chili today which my wife and I had for dinner. I'll bring it to work for lunch all week instead of buying lunch every day. Savings of $30 for the week.
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

I did not tip the pizza delivery guy.
CaliJim

Post by CaliJim »

I used a coupon to save 20% off an item at BB&Beyond.
-calijim- | | For more info, click this Wiki
GoneOnTilt

Post by GoneOnTilt »

Trader Joe wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:00 pm I did not tip the pizza delivery guy.
There's frugal. Then there's cheap. 8-)
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

My new credit card arrived and I found out I could put my insurance bill on it. I was worried I might not be able to meet the minimum for 3 months. Didn’t want to buy antything I don’t have to. This will earn me one way first class ticket to Japan.
Last edited by DrGoogle2017 on Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kitty Telltales

Post by Kitty Telltales »

Had my hair cut at one of those "no appointment necessary" shops. I had rather good luck in the past, but not today. Wanted to cry all the way home after seeing the result.
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

I did not tip the Uber drivers today (two trips).
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

One of the overhead fluorescent lights in my kitchen had a bulb burn out. (48", T8, 17 W)

Instead of replacing the bulb with a new 17 W one, I had an older higher wattage (32 W) bulb that fit.

Fluorescent lights dim as they age. An older bulb (32 W) half as bright has almost the same amount of light as a new bulb at half the wattage (17 W).

I have another old 32 W bulb, which is now relegated as a spare. Engineering at its finest.
GoneOnTilt

Post by GoneOnTilt »

Trader Joe wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:24 pm I did not tip the Uber drivers today (two trips).
I took all the sugar packets at my booth in the diner today. And the bottle of steak sauce too.
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

I attended a professional development class in which a separate break room full of free snacks - little bags of chips/pretzels, bananas, apples, chocolate bars, granola bars, etc. - was provided. I was the first one to leave the class at the end since I was the only one not required to take the exam. On the way out, since I knew nobody else would be coming for 20+ minutes, I stopped in the break room and completely stuffed my attache case full of the snacks.

Also from over the weekend, the band on my $100, 8 year old Citizen watch broke. I decided that after wearing watches since I was a teenager, that I have no need to wear a watch anymore, and won't be fixing or replacing the watch with the broken band.
molecular

Post by molecular »

Received an unexpected bonus check from a former employer, so it's going into an I bond.
Then I made pizza.
SGM

Post by SGM »

I ate a very good and large gyro on pita bread that goes for $5 on a Monday. It lists for $12 on the menu. A goombahdie chief bought gyros for our whole crew. A goombah always leaves a good tip for hard working people.