Should I move my plants away from street lamp so they can sleep?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Caduceus

Should I move my plants away from street lamp so they can sleep?

Post by Caduceus » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:03 pm

I am a novice gardener and it didn't occur to me that the street light was causing some of my potted plants to be constantly in the light. Does it make a difference if I move them to a different part of the land so they can sleep?

Dottie57

Re: Should I move my plants away from street lamp so they can sleep?

Post by Dottie57 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:56 pm

Caduceus wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:03 pm
I am a novice gardener and it didn't occur to me that the street light was causing some of my potted plants to be constantly in the light. Does it make a difference if I move them to a different part of the land so they can sleep?
Can’t you cover them? I doubt street lights are really bothering plants. The lights don’t seem to bother boulevard trees and are not anywhere near asstrong as the sun.

What caused you to worry?

cjking

Post by cjking » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:02 pm

I have no idea whether plants are bothered by light. But we have some security lights above communal garden areas that give out green light all night, so I'm guessing someone thought it was a good idea to give plants light they wouldn't use.

I've just googled this, turns out I'm right.
Gardeners primarily use green grow lights to water, navigate the grow room, or inspect plants during the dark cycle because the green lights do not interrupt the plant's "night" period. Green light mimics moonlight, so even if a plant is aware of the light, it does not trigger photosynthesis or photoperiod hormones.
https://blog.1000bulbs.com/home/when-to ... row-lights

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:11 pm

I dont think the light intensity of a street light is enough to bother them. You are talking about thousands of times less light than the sun.

Kennedy

Post by Kennedy » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:11 pm

Caduceus wrote:
Do they look healthy? Are they growing as expected? If so, I wouldn't worry at all about the street lights' impact on the plants.

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:24 pm

Even small amounts of light at night does affect some plants. Typically it affects the timing of flowering, for example getting poinsettias and Christmas cacti to turn red at Christmas. If you don't care about the timing -- Christmas cacti are pretty in February too -- it matters less.

Gardening books, web-sites, labels and other gardeners will discuss it for particular plants if it is known to be a problem. There are probably cases where it makes a difference that nobody knows about. An opportunity for original research if that interests you.

Topic Author
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:25 pm

I read a few articles that said plants need darkness for optimal growth, and that studies have shown that trees that are right next to street lights actually grow slower and are less healthy.

I am trying to grow some rare plants, like frankincense, and I've grown quite attached to them, so I feel guilty that I've been keeping them in the light all day and night long.

I don't mind moving them to a dark spot every night, and then re-moving them to a bright spot in the morning if it would make a difference. My lemon tree hasn't been growing for three months now - im wondering if maybe it's because it never has periods of darkness.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:31 pm

You're referring to photoperiodism, and it is important, but so is the level and duration of light. Depending on the plant, long nights or short nights may trigger certain seasonal behaviors like flowering. Other plants don't care.

From skimming a couple academic sources, it appears 10-100 lux (lumens per square meter) can be significant enough to cause an effect, depending on the plant. Street light it typically designed to provide 3-10 lux on residential streets on average, but that light is not evenly distributed. It will be brighter closer to the light, and also should be aimed more at the road than at houses along the road.

Topic Author
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:29 am

My baby lemon plant has grown more than 2 inches since I moved it every night into the dark - I measure the progress weekly. It has not been growing at this rate for 3 months now! Wow.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:29 am

More light will let plants grow better. I am just growing seedlings of perennials (hostas) in my basement under 24 hrs fluorescent light. They are there from end of November to end of April. They are growing much better than with shutting lights off for the night, some might actually bloom.

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:28 am

Shades.

Also, some of the new LED street lights are apparently horribly bright.

KSOC

Post by KSOC » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:32 am

NHK Japan just did a report on this. Looks like street light do have an effect on crops.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/newsroo ... 90308.html
Too soon old, too late smart.

indexonlyplease

Post by indexonlyplease » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:34 am

Caduceus wrote:
What a funny post. Thanks for making me laugh. Why don't you just put sheets over your plants at night. Like people with birds do. So, they can sleep.

MI_bogle

Post by MI_bogle » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:48 am

Caduceus wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:29 am
My baby lemon plant has grown more than 2 inches since I moved it every night into the dark - I measure the progress weekly. It has not been growing at this rate for 3 months now! Wow.
Not to burst your bubble, but most of that is likely due to increased photoperiod, not moving it into the dark every night. My lemon tree has not moved in the dark at night, but has recently started shooting up new growth (along with the hot peppers I am overwintering) because of the increased photoperiod. There's such little daylight during the winter that they don't really grow. But increasing photoperiod triggers new growth this time of year

Topic Author
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:16 am

indexonlyplease wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:34 am
Caduceus wrote:
What a funny post. Thanks for making me laugh. Why don't you just put sheets over your plants at night. Like people with birds do. So, they can sleep.
That's a great idea. Sometimes I talk to them too. :happy