Bright daughter wants to work for nonprofit

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
toofache32

Re: Bright daughter wants to work for nonprofit

Post by toofache32 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:11 am

RickBoglehead wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:58 am
miamivice wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:55 am
First of all, where are the posters with dumb sons and dumb daughters? Everyone seems to have smarter than average children, but I rarely run into parents with stupider than average children.
Now that is very funny! :D
miamivice wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:55 am
But to answer your question, your adult daughter needs to live her life. Whether she is financially successful or not, she needs to follow her passion and drive. It is not your place to judge.
I would assume a bright CPA knows exactly what she's getting herself into. OP needs to be supportive and keep quiet after speaking his piece, assuming he decides he wants to say anything.
This is Lake Wobegon....where all the children are above average.

chipperd

Post by chipperd » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:20 am

White Coat Investor wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:22 pm
retire14 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:55 am
Daughter is 3 years out of college. Very bright. Graduated from a top college in Business. CPA. She has been with 3 companies and did well in all. Companies loved her. She has a very bright future. However, she recently decided that she wants to work for a nonprofit. She was upfront with her current company and they want her to stay and is willing to assign her to another position. She got an offer from an educational nonprofit at reduced pay and is considering it. As a parent, I am a little concerned that her financial situation may not be as good, especially in future years as she really has good potential for growth. At the same time, I know she is idealistic and I want her to be happy at what she does. I want to be supportive, but I am a little anxious. What do you say?
Jonathan Clements says you should be more worried about following your dreams in your 50s and that your 20s are for making and saving money.
Interesting. I guess Jonathan Clements wasn't referring to newly minted MD's in residency, who, like the OP's daughter, very bright.
OP, your adult daughter is probably following a message you gave to her while she was growing up. Leave the world a better place than you found it. She's got the education and background and tolls to do just that in today's society,. You asked what do I say?
Let her know how proud you are of her and that you hope this new position turns out to be everything she hopes it will be.

SGM

Post by SGM » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:47 am

Our daughter is in her 20s and works for a non-profit and she has a lot of responsibility. She has a leadership role and is receiving additional training and recently was a guest lecturer to a group of other NPOs. She has learned how to supervise volunteers, interns and contractors. She has written grant applications and worked closely with clients. We would not dream of interfering.

juliewongferra

Post by juliewongferra » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:14 am

whodidntante wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:52 pm
It looks like the OP did a peace out on page 1.
yeah, not sure why people continue to weigh in, especially off topic...IMHO, although OP posted the issue of whether a non-profit is a good job, the REAL issue is whether OP should be involved at all in another adult's (even if a "bright" daughter) decision making.

cheers,
jwf
If you aren't familiar with Mr. Bogle and his investment philosophy, then you don't know Jack!