Button Down Shirts / Travel Pants / Light Jacket? Other Tips from experienced Boglehead world travelers?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
xb7
Posts: 108
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:13 pm
Location: WA State, USA

Re: Button Down Shirts / Travel Pants / Light Jacket? Other Tips from experienced Boglehead world travelers?

Post by xb7 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:16 pm

The thing that I haven't dialed in yet is being pick-pocket proof. It's never happened to me, and in most places I go overseas it's no more of a risk than walking around places at home, but --- there are of course certain places where you're a lot more at risk, and when traveling overseas there are situations where it's better to have my passport on me, so that's one more thing to secure --- wallet, cell phone, and passport. In cooler temperatures it's not so hard to put these things in inner pockets, possibly using one of those travel vests for the purpose, so it's just the quite infrequent combination of warmer weather and touristy areas in a big city that are of any concern for me.

I'm giving a try to a couple of new things (new for me) for an upcoming trip. One is one of these things that have a couple of belt loops to hold your stuff inside your pants; you pull it out (with belt loops still attached to belt) to temporarily access contents. I'm finding it comfortable enough, which is a big win; I do worry that some thieves with experience will recognize it --- quick and easy to cut the loops when I'm distracted, and then everything just falls to the ground inside my pant leg.

I'm also trying out a couple of different pairs of underwear that have pockets sewn on. Put passport in a ziplock bag and into one little pocket, a minimal wallet the same in the other pocket. Then have a 'dummy' wallet with a few cards I don't care about (library card, AAA card, that sort of thing) and some "walking around cash". Pay for things with that wallet whenever possible, carry that where I usually carry my real wallet.

I AM sort of over-thinking this a little, but I'd like to get a good system I can comfortably switch to whenever I'm in an area that looks likely to have pickpockets working the crowds.

The final option that I might try is similar to the old style wear-under-your-pants kind of hidden pouch for valuables --- I always found those to be uncomfortable --- but this one is in the form of a cross-the-chest bandolier. A concern with that is that in warm weather if I just wear a t-shirt, it's too likely to show I think.

Interested in what others do here, other than hope that luck is on your side!

xb7
Posts: 108
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:13 pm
Location: WA State, USA

Re: Button Down Shirts / Travel Pants / Light Jacket? Other Tips from experienced Boglehead world travelers?

Post by xb7 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:18 pm

Ah, sorry, I should add to my last post that I looked into the "pickpocket proof pants" idea, and just didn't find any that I liked when I looked into them and read reviews.

StandingRock
Posts: 176
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:54 pm

Re: Button Down Shirts / Travel Pants / Light Jacket? Other Tips from experienced Boglehead world travelers?

Post by StandingRock » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:27 pm

Kuhl pants are some of the best I have ever owned. I like the convertible cargo pants, you can zip off the legs. Always feel warm to me when it's cold and cool when it's hot.

One hassle is that the extra zippers and buttons means I get frisked trying to get through security at the airports, because they always seem to throw up a flag in the scanner machine. Other than that I love em.

https://www.kuhl.com/kuhl/mens/pants/re ... gLBS_D_BwE

Shallowpockets
Posts: 1013
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:26 am

Re: Button Down Shirts / Travel Pants / Light Jacket? Other Tips from experienced Boglehead world travelers?

Post by Shallowpockets » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:04 pm

From Costco. Eddie Bauer adventure travel pants. $21.99 free delivery. My best pants for travel yet
Two way stretch. Neutral colors. Water resistant.
Fit like jeans. No cargo pockets, so not so obvious as travel pants.
I like them a lot. Wearing them now on the ferry from Gozo. Got two more weeks to go.

User avatar
Topic Author
Sandtrap
Posts: 6068
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii😀 Northern AZ.😳 Retired.

Re: Button Down Shirts / Travel Pants / Light Jacket? Other Tips from experienced Boglehead world travelers?

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:13 pm

xb7 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:16 pm
The thing that I haven't dialed in yet is being pick-pocket proof. It's never happened to me, and in most places I go overseas it's no more of a risk than walking around places at home, but --- there are of course certain places where you're a lot more at risk, and when traveling overseas there are situations where it's better to have my passport on me, so that's one more thing to secure --- wallet, cell phone, and passport. In cooler temperatures it's not so hard to put these things in inner pockets, possibly using one of those travel vests for the purpose, so it's just the quite infrequent combination of warmer weather and touristy areas in a big city that are of any concern for me.

I'm giving a try to a couple of new things (new for me) for an upcoming trip. One is one of these things that have a couple of belt loops to hold your stuff inside your pants; you pull it out (with belt loops still attached to belt) to temporarily access contents. I'm finding it comfortable enough, which is a big win; I do worry that some thieves with experience will recognize it --- quick and easy to cut the loops when I'm distracted, and then everything just falls to the ground inside my pant leg.

I'm also trying out a couple of different pairs of underwear that have pockets sewn on. Put passport in a ziplock bag and into one little pocket, a minimal wallet the same in the other pocket. Then have a 'dummy' wallet with a few cards I don't care about (library card, AAA card, that sort of thing) and some "walking around cash". Pay for things with that wallet whenever possible, carry that where I usually carry my real wallet.

I AM sort of over-thinking this a little, but I'd like to get a good system I can comfortably switch to whenever I'm in an area that looks likely to have pickpockets working the crowds.

The final option that I might try is similar to the old style wear-under-your-pants kind of hidden pouch for valuables --- I always found those to be uncomfortable --- but this one is in the form of a cross-the-chest bandolier. A concern with that is that in warm weather if I just wear a t-shirt, it's too likely to show I think.

Interested in what others do here, other than hope that luck is on your side!
I bought a pair of these slacks. They are comfortable. Seem long lasting. The security features are very interesting.
https://www.clothingarts.com/products/p ... avel_pants

User avatar
Topic Author
Sandtrap
Posts: 6068
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii😀 Northern AZ.😳 Retired.

Re: Button Down Shirts / Travel Pants / Light Jacket? Other Tips from experienced Boglehead world travelers?

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:15 pm

protagonist wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:21 pm
Look into an elastic traveling clothesline.

As per the 80/20 rule, I hope I am not grossing some people out by saying this, but a quick rinse of shirts and underwear in the tub, assuming no stains, and then hanging to dry, works wonders. If you have quick drying clothes you hardly have to pack anything. You can travel for weeks or even months that way and your clothes still look and smell fresh. This only really adds five or ten minutes to your daily routine and beats having to carry more than you need and spend a day of your holiday in a laundromat. Detergent/soap is not really necessary unless the clothes are really dirty- just a bit of elbow grease around sweaty areas. If you don't believe me, try it at home as an experiment. If my sweetie can't tell (and she can't), I guarantee that you will also be satisfied.

ps.... Unless you are going to Alaska in the winter, make sure your travel pants have zip-off legs.
Great tip!
Why "elastic"?

xb7
Posts: 108
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:13 pm
Location: WA State, USA

Re: Button Down Shirts / Travel Pants / Light Jacket? Other Tips from experienced Boglehead world travelers?

Post by xb7 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:37 pm

I bought a pair of these slacks. They are comfortable. Seem long lasting. The security features are very interesting.
https://www.clothingarts.com/products/p ... avel_pants
Those are the first that I looked at. First impression was good, but then I found a site that had a lot of complaints about how long it takes for these to be shipped after order --- several reviews talked about waiting months:
https://amateurtraveler.com/review-pick ... hing-arts/

My next trip is coming soon enough that I don't want to have to wonder about that.

Shallowpockets
Posts: 1013
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:26 am

Re: Button Down Shirts / Travel Pants / Light Jacket? Other Tips from experienced Boglehead world travelers?

Post by Shallowpockets » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:52 pm

OP. You are way to concerned about safety of your valuables. If you wear a travel vest you will certainly look,like a target to pickpockets. Same with zip off pants. OK, sometimes in the third world you may get away with it, but most pickpocket situations are not in the third world. There are more pickpockets in Europe. That is a place you can blend in. But in your best and zip offs there is no blending.
Situational awareness and not looking like an easy target is better. However, better they should target your look and leave me alone. Tone down your exposure and let the pickpockets target the other people. In the pickpocket areas there are always "those other people" around.

protagonist
Posts: 5561
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:47 pm

Re: Button Down Shirts / Travel Pants / Light Jacket? Other Tips from experienced Boglehead world travelers?

Post by protagonist » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:10 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:15 pm
protagonist wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:21 pm
Look into an elastic traveling clothesline.

As per the 80/20 rule, I hope I am not grossing some people out by saying this, but a quick rinse of shirts and underwear in the tub, assuming no stains, and then hanging to dry, works wonders. If you have quick drying clothes you hardly have to pack anything. You can travel for weeks or even months that way and your clothes still look and smell fresh. This only really adds five or ten minutes to your daily routine and beats having to carry more than you need and spend a day of your holiday in a laundromat. Detergent/soap is not really necessary unless the clothes are really dirty- just a bit of elbow grease around sweaty areas. If you don't believe me, try it at home as an experiment. If my sweetie can't tell (and she can't), I guarantee that you will also be satisfied.

ps.... Unless you are going to Alaska in the winter, make sure your travel pants have zip-off legs.
Great tip!
Why "elastic"?
The one I own (I wish I could find a brand or link) can stretch and has hooks on either end, so regardless of the geometry of the space in which you are living, you can usually find a place to hang it that works. By elastic, I mean the property of being stretchable- I think mine is latex but I am not positive. The clothes do not slip off.

It has several clips along its length that serve like clothespins, and particularly useful are sliding plastic pieces that lock on to the clothesline between hooks that prevent your clothes from all sliding and bunching up at the lowest point on the line,

Oh, I forgot to mention packing cubes....very useful. But I imagine somebody else already has.

shans2000
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:16 pm

Re: Men's No-Cotton Travel Pants Suggestions? Other Tips from experienced world travellers?

Post by shans2000 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:31 pm

5. Avoid any itineraries that go through the ACC, GCC, and a number of other countries where minor infractions could result in arrest. This includes being caught with muffins that have poppy seeds on them, among other things, or caught swearing (not at someone, but just in general).


[/quote]

What is ACC, GCC?

protagonist
Posts: 5561
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:47 pm

Re: Men's No-Cotton Travel Pants Suggestions? Other Tips from experienced world travellers?

Post by protagonist » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:17 pm

shans2000 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:31 pm
5. Avoid any itineraries that go through the ACC, GCC, and a number of other countries where minor infractions could result in arrest. This includes being caught with muffins that have poppy seeds on them, among other things, or caught swearing (not at someone, but just in general).

Or just obey the laws of the countries you visit. That usually works.
For the record I wouldn't try swearing at a US customs official either. And definitely not at a flight attendant.

protagonist
Posts: 5561
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:47 pm

Re: Button Down Shirts / Travel Pants / Light Jacket? Other Tips from experienced Boglehead world travelers?

Post by protagonist » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:23 pm

xb7 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:16 pm

The final option that I might try is similar to the old style wear-under-your-pants kind of hidden pouch for valuables --- I always found those to be uncomfortable --- but this one is in the form of a cross-the-chest bandolier. A concern with that is that in warm weather if I just wear a t-shirt, it's too likely to show I think.

Interested in what others do here, other than hope that luck is on your side!
An ex sewed a velcro pocket onto my underpants when I used to travel to Venezuela for months at a time, where you had to take all your money with you in the form of cash to get a decent exchange rate. As I own property there and would go for 3-5 months at a time, I would go down with $3000-5000 in hundred dollar bills. The pocket was long enough to fit all the money without folding it (and on the side). I could barely feel it, believe it or not.

In my apartment I would keep most of it stashed in a light switch box, rolled up tightly with a rubber band. Retrieving it just meant undoing 2 small screws in the switchplate.

Desperate times call for desperate measures. In many years of traveling there I never ran into problems.

Cunobelinus
Posts: 206
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:31 pm

Re: Button Down Shirts / Travel Pants / Light Jacket? Other Tips from experienced Boglehead world travelers?

Post by Cunobelinus » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:31 am

I saw that this was asked about on the first page or two, but I didn't see that anyone followed up:

Recommended immunizations / health info: https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/
-- Put in the country/countries you're to where you're looking to travel and it breaks down current health concerns and whether not any special immunizations are warranted.

General well-being w/ traveling: https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/page/resou ... -travelers

I've had to sign up for this before, but I couldn't tell you that it has ever been super useful:
https://step.state.gov/ Receive important information from the Embassy about safety conditions in your destination country, helping you make informed decisions about your travel plans.
-- it gives you alerts on any civil disturbances (protests/demonstrations, riots, etc) in your destination.

And finally, I always recommend setting up a dedicated, single-use e-mail account for that trip. Someone recommended having your travel documents in a encrypted USB stick, but I'd find that less useful. It's easier to lose an encrypted USB stick than an e-mail address, and you can't always find a computer that is insecure enough to permit plugging in USB sticks. In that dedicated, single-use e-mail account, I put digital copies of passport, itineraries, credit cards, etc. I won't use it unless necessary (I haven't had to yet). I wouldn't use my regular e-mail account because I assume that any e-mail account accessed from a foreign country via a public computer is probably compromised as soon as you log into it. (I'm taking off my tinfoil hat now).

You can also sign up for a GoogleVoice account ahead of time as a backup phone number that you can make/receive phone calls and texts from via wifi.

“There’s no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothes.”
-Norwegian saying (allegedly)

User avatar
telemark
Posts: 2397
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:35 am

Re: Button Down Shirts / Travel Pants / Light Jacket? Other Tips from experienced Boglehead world travelers?

Post by telemark » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:52 am

protagonist wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:10 pm
Sandtrap wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:15 pm
protagonist wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:21 pm
Look into an elastic traveling clothesline.
Great tip!
Why "elastic"?
The one I own (I wish I could find a brand or link) can stretch and has hooks on either end, so regardless of the geometry of the space in which you are living, you can usually find a place to hang it that works. By elastic, I mean the property of being stretchable- I think mine is latex but I am not positive. The clothes do not slip off.

It has several clips along its length that serve like clothespins, and particularly useful are sliding plastic pieces that lock on to the clothesline between hooks that prevent your clothes from all sliding and bunching up at the lowest point on the line,
As an alternative, you can buy some ordinary parachute cord and learn to tie a taut-line hitch.

protagonist
Posts: 5561
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:47 pm

Re: Button Down Shirts / Travel Pants / Light Jacket? Other Tips from experienced Boglehead world travelers?

Post by protagonist » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:29 pm

telemark wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:52 am
protagonist wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:10 pm
Sandtrap wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:15 pm
protagonist wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:21 pm
Look into an elastic traveling clothesline.
Great tip!
Why "elastic"?
The one I own (I wish I could find a brand or link) can stretch and has hooks on either end, so regardless of the geometry of the space in which you are living, you can usually find a place to hang it that works. By elastic, I mean the property of being stretchable- I think mine is latex but I am not positive. The clothes do not slip off.

It has several clips along its length that serve like clothespins, and particularly useful are sliding plastic pieces that lock on to the clothesline between hooks that prevent your clothes from all sliding and bunching up at the lowest point on the line,
As an alternative, you can buy some ordinary parachute cord and learn to tie a taut-line hitch.
Yes, true, but you would not have the built-in clips and stops that something like this has, for the price of $9.99. This looks a lot like the one I have:
https://www.amazon.com/HAWATOUR-Portabl ... C6HTPXWQSR

And I imagine the parachute cord might be in the same price range. I use mine at home as well as when traveling.
Then again, if you take my easy way out you may never learn how to tie a taut-line hitch, which seems like a potentially valuable skill.

User avatar
ThereAreNoGurus
Posts: 154
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:41 pm

Re: Men's No-Cotton Travel Pants / Shirts Suggestions? Other Tips from experienced world travellers?

Post by ThereAreNoGurus » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:04 pm

THY4373 wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:55 am
TN_Boy wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:59 am
And finally Starfish, it's safe to drink the water in most 1st world countries, but there are plenty of places out there where you really really want bottled water (I haven't traveled much in such countries, but I have a relative who has).
I recently bought the Grayl water bottle filter (https://thegrayl.com/) for a trip to Egypt and it worked great. While bottled water was fairly widely available it was nice to never have to worry about running out.
I'm another happy Grayl customer. I've used it several times on trips.

dustinst22
Posts: 230
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:09 pm
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Re: Button Down Shirts / Travel Pants / Light Jacket? Other Tips from experienced Boglehead world travelers?

Post by dustinst22 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:53 am

Shallowpockets wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:04 pm
From Costco. Eddie Bauer adventure travel pants. $21.99 free delivery. My best pants for travel yet
Two way stretch. Neutral colors. Water resistant.
Fit like jeans. No cargo pockets, so not so obvious as travel pants.
I like them a lot. Wearing them now on the ferry from Gozo. Got two more weeks to go.

Thanks, going to try these and compare to the expensive slim dungarees

tea_pirate
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:29 am

Re: Button Down Shirts / Travel Pants / Light Jacket? Other Tips from experienced Boglehead world travelers?

Post by tea_pirate » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:07 am

xb7 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:16 pm
The thing that I haven't dialed in yet is being pick-pocket proof. It's never happened to me, and in most places I go overseas it's no more of a risk than walking around places at home, but --- there are of course certain places where you're a lot more at risk, and when traveling overseas there are situations where it's better to have my passport on me, so that's one more thing to secure --- wallet, cell phone, and passport. In cooler temperatures it's not so hard to put these things in inner pockets, possibly using one of those travel vests for the purpose, so it's just the quite infrequent combination of warmer weather and touristy areas in a big city that are of any concern for me.

I'm giving a try to a couple of new things (new for me) for an upcoming trip. One is one of these things that have a couple of belt loops to hold your stuff inside your pants; you pull it out (with belt loops still attached to belt) to temporarily access contents. I'm finding it comfortable enough, which is a big win; I do worry that some thieves with experience will recognize it --- quick and easy to cut the loops when I'm distracted, and then everything just falls to the ground inside my pant leg.

I'm also trying out a couple of different pairs of underwear that have pockets sewn on. Put passport in a ziplock bag and into one little pocket, a minimal wallet the same in the other pocket. Then have a 'dummy' wallet with a few cards I don't care about (library card, AAA card, that sort of thing) and some "walking around cash". Pay for things with that wallet whenever possible, carry that where I usually carry my real wallet.

I AM sort of over-thinking this a little, but I'd like to get a good system I can comfortably switch to whenever I'm in an area that looks likely to have pickpockets working the crowds.

The final option that I might try is similar to the old style wear-under-your-pants kind of hidden pouch for valuables --- I always found those to be uncomfortable --- but this one is in the form of a cross-the-chest bandolier. A concern with that is that in warm weather if I just wear a t-shirt, it's too likely to show I think.

Interested in what others do here, other than hope that luck is on your side!
I have a Saddleback Leather "front pocket ID wallet" ($49 on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Saddleback-Leath ... B07DBDJLP4).

Holds my driver's license, 2 credit cards (could probably fit another), health insurance cards, and over a dozen folded bills comfortably. I normally carry it in my back pocket, but I move it to the front pocket on top of my phone when I'm in an area of concern for pickpocketing. Keys go in the other front pocket.

No, I don't miss carrying 5 credit cards, 10 garbage store rewards cards and a pile of receipts in my wallet. My old wallet was causing me pains from sitting on it.

Post Reply