Pure Alpha Fund by Bridgewater's Ray Dalio - What are the holdings?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
teelainen

Pure Alpha Fund by Bridgewater's Ray Dalio - What are the holdings?

Post by teelainen » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:26 pm

Does anyone know what the current top holdings are inside of the Pure Alpha Fund by Bridgewater's Ray Dalio?

It seems to have done very well for the past 25 years.

Thanks.
Last edited by teelainen on Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

interestediniras

Re: Pure Alpha Fund by Bridgewater's Ray Dalio - What are the holdings?

Post by interestediniras » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:30 pm

Let me just call up Ray Dalio and ask...

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:41 pm

One of many important differences between hedge funds and mutual funds is that in the words of the SEC,
Hedge fund investors do not receive all of the federal and state law protections that commonly apply to most mutual funds. For example, hedge funds are not required to provide the same level of disclosure as you would receive from mutual funds. Without the disclosure that the securities laws require for most mutual funds, it can be more difficult to fully evaluate the terms of an investment in a hedge fund. It may also be difficult to verify representations you receive from a hedge fund.
Last edited by nisiprius on Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

azanon

Post by azanon » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:56 pm

He would probably say (based on interviews of his I've watched) that it really wouldn't do you any good to know, unless you were being constantly updated so that you could make the changes along with them. So it's not just what you hold, but also the buying and selling all along the way. And he's also plead with you to not even try to compete with them, because you stand no chance on your own vs. all of their resources.

Even their All-Weather portfolio which doesn't change as much, has an even more extreme defense portfolio they sometimes use (I forget exactly what they call that).

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:30 pm

azanon wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:56 pm

Even their All-Weather portfolio which doesn't change as much, has an even more extreme defense portfolio they sometimes use (I forget exactly what they call that).
Dalio is playing at the highest levels while most of us just complain that our team doesn't win the big game. He believes that the credit cycle is a fundamental driver of the business cycle, which is not an idea he is alone in believing. The idea is to invest in sources of risk and return such that one can manage risk and make money regardless of the credit cycle. Owning it also makes the investor feel silly when the equity risk premium has killed everything recently. I don't know anyone who actually owns the portfolio 100%, but then, I guess they wouldn't be hanging out here.

jbranx

Post by jbranx » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:34 pm

Here's one list of that fund's holdings:

https://whalewisdom.com/filer/bridgewat ... s_tab_link

AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:43 pm

teelainen wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:26 pm
Does anyone know what the current top holdings are inside of the Pure Alpha Fund by Bridgewater's Ray Dalio?.
Nobody knows their current holdings. However, all hedge funds are required to file quarterly reports with the SEC. So you can read those to see what they used to hold a few months ago.

The approach of reading these and following hedge funds is detailed in one of Meb Faber's books . Like most (all?) of his strategies, I don't think the results have been great since he published his book.

alpenglow

Post by alpenglow » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:23 am

jbranx wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:34 pm
Here's one list of that fund's holdings:

https://whalewisdom.com/filer/bridgewat ... s_tab_link
Interesting, if that is accurate. Overweight on emerging markets.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:59 am

Keep in mind that the 13F only shows what the fund is long on. It won’t show shorts or leverage. Not sure, mostly because I don’t care, if this fund is long/short or levered or not.

DonIce

Post by DonIce » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:27 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:59 am
Keep in mind that the 13F only shows what the fund is long on. It won’t show shorts or leverage. Not sure, mostly because I don’t care, if this fund is long/short or levered or not.
Presumably it also includes all the various bridgewater funds, so a combination of pure alpha + all weather + anything else. So it's not representative of any one of their strategies.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:11 pm

I will watch Le Bron James closely, and do exactly what he does, three seconds later.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.