Peanut Butter recommendations

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
dm200

Re: Peanut Butter recommendations

Post by dm200 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:33 am

daheld wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:29 am
Big fan of Trader Joe's natural PB.
Yes - Trader Joe's has a no salt added choice as well.

Most of the time now, I buy Smuckers at my neighborhood grocery store.

InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:12 am

Store-ground almond butter. Not only has it not had a chance to separate by the time I put it in the fridge, but it remains grainy in texture. Love it.

bdrolan

Post by bdrolan » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:23 pm

GoldStar wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:33 am
We buy Skippy Natural Peanut Butter Creamy.
My spouse used to buy more expensive natural brands but we found Skippy Natural to be consistently good (and just as "Natural" at a better price).

If you want to compare to the coffee aficionados maybe you should roast and grind your own peanuts and make your own :)
Can't believe I'm posting on a PB Thread. HAHA.

I 2nd this. We use Skippy Natural. Always good to go and cheaper than all others at our HEBs and Wal-Marts.

Our son destroys this PB with Smucker's Natural Strawberry or Grape Jelly.

BarbaricYawp

Post by BarbaricYawp » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:31 pm

Kenkat wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:02 pm
I was taught that choosy mothers choose JIF but I am unable to cite a reputable source on that.
That would be Grey Advertising. :D
"The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity." --Dorothy Parker

Abe

Post by Abe » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:35 pm

The cheapest I can find.

Edit: So, get you a package of vanilla cream cookies, you know the kind that cost a dollar at the dollar tree store, and then take them apart and put peanut butter in between the cookies. Very tasty.
Slow and steady wins the race.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:50 pm

bdrolan wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:23 pm
GoldStar wrote:
My spouse used to buy more expensive natural brands but we found Skippy Natural to be consistently good (and just as "Natural" at a better price).

If you want to compare to the coffee aficionados maybe you should roast and grind your own peanuts and make your own :)
I 2nd this. We use Skippy Natural. Always good to go and cheaper than all others at our HEBs and Wal-Marts.
Unfortunately - not that "natural". Other things besides "peanuts" and, optionally, some salt.

http://thedelicioustruth.blogspot.com/2 ... py-vs.html

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:57 pm

I have better things to do with my time than struggle mixing oil into natural peanut butter, so:

Mitchell777

Post by Mitchell777 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:03 pm

I also like Crazy Richards crunchy. 2.5 g sat fat, no salt, and 2g sugar. I find I need to sprinkle a touch of No Salt on it. I eat it with a low net carb thin sliced bread.

bdrolan

Post by bdrolan » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:23 pm

dm200 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:50 pm
bdrolan wrote:
GoldStar wrote:

Unfortunately - not that "natural". Other things besides "peanuts" and, optionally, some salt.

Yep. Peanuts, Palm Oil, Sugar, and Salt.

boglesmind

Post by boglesmind » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:27 pm

SevenBridgesRoad wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:07 pm
Random Poster wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:31 pm
I like Trader Joe’s peanut butter. Have to turn it upside down and let it sit for a while to get the oil to mix, and then hand stir it quite a bit. But I think it is tasty.
I love peanut butter, but I will not buy any PB that has to be stored upside down or stirred for that matter. Too much work. I realize I’m not cool.
We love PB as well and get Trader Joe's Creamy or Crunchy versions. It's organic, nothin' but peanuts and we don't mind storing upside down and mixing it well before use. All the PBs that don't need to be mixed well usually have emulsifiers and other such c*%#@ added to it which we don't care to use.

Boglesmind

sunnywindy

Post by sunnywindy » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:07 pm

I'd like to see Crazy Richard offer an organic, but otherwise, it is one of the best. Also, I buy 4 at a time and then stir them up all at once and put them all in the freezer. When I need one for the next day, I'll transfer it into the fridge. The freezing seems to help the oil bind with the peanuts a bit, but Crazy Richard is still one of the runniest peanut butter.

Trader Joes - I want to like it but I just don't care for their Valencia peanuts. (Trader Joes Blueberry jelly is another story!)
Adams - very good - maybe the best
Wall Mart Organic - very good
Nature's Place Organic - very good
Santa Cruz - pricy but good

I want just peanuts and salt in my PB - nothing else! I also alternate between creamy and crunchy.
Powered by chocolate!

palaheel

Post by palaheel » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:05 pm

Simply JIF for us. Of the brands that don't separate, it has the least amount of sugar that I've found.
Markets crash. Markets recover. Inflation takes your money FOREVER.

tooluser

Post by tooluser » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:44 pm

Does anyone use a specialty-made peanut butter stirrer? The kind with a lid that screws on, and a stirring handle/curved rod?
Example: Grandpa Witmer’s Old Fashioned Mess-Free Nut Butter and Natural Peanut Butter Mixer
They are highly rated. Do they really work that well compared to a knife or fork?
It seems to me that you need a few different ones for different size jar openings.
If it made the experience more awesome I would buy one, but two or three is getting too pricey.
Probably doesn't work as well if you refrigerate your peanut butter.
"Budget: A mathematical confirmation of your suspicions” is a jocular quotation that was credited to A. A. Lattimer in 1949. Nothing else is known about the author besides this quotation.

cdc

Post by cdc » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:06 pm

We buy Whole Foods’ 365 brand. $5 for 36oz. jar.

GT99

Post by GT99 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:11 pm

Costco almond butter (sans salt and suger), and then flavor it myself. I most often just add some salt and cayenne pepper, which works fantastically. I don't have much sweet tooth, but if I want a hint of sweetness, just a little honey or maple syrup.

dknightd

Post by dknightd » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:19 pm

I eat what ever is in the house. Currently Skippy.
Yes, one day I will die. But not likely due to peanut butter.

edit: Try a Skippy, Marmight, and banana sandwich. Honestly the brand of peanut butter does not matter.

JediMisty

Post by JediMisty » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:32 pm

toofache32 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:05 pm
My wife gets this hippy stuff from one of those Whole Foods type places where you have to stir it with a spoon first. Pretty nasty stuff.
I can't resist the obvious question: are you unable to drive to the store to buy your own? I can't stand the good for you stuff, either. I guess I have an unrefined palate?

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:35 pm

dm200 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:50 pm
bdrolan wrote:
GoldStar wrote:

It is.
Your blog post points to and talks about regular Skippy and not Skippy Natural.

Church Lady

Post by Church Lady » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:12 pm

TimeRunner wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:11 pm
National Public Radio's The Uncertain Hour Podcasts, 3 total, starting Oct 25, 2017 then the two following, will tell you more than you ever thought you could know about food regulation, Peanut Butter, and the sad history of Jiff. You will definitely want to check the ingredients label after listening to these.

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/sto ... =476015630

Available on the usual podcast download sites (e.g. iTunes) as well.
Thanks for the link. Very informative.

Back in the 70s, my health food store had one of those machines that grinds peanut butter. One ingredient, and very tasty indeed! (Actually, it is a hygienic nightmare, but I was blissfully unaware at that point in my life). Today, I look for brands that have one or two ingredients on the label. Less is more.
He that loveth silver shall not be satisfied with silver; nor he that loveth abundance with increase: this is also vanity. Ecclesiastes 1:8

apex84

Post by apex84 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:34 am

We usually get peanut butter at Costco (the Kirkland natural kind). For an alternative that I think tastes better, we like the Mixed Nut Butter from Trader Joes. It's pricy, but still much less than buying lunch at work. It contains almonds, cashews, walnuts, Brazil nuts, hazelnuts, and pecans.

https://www.traderjoes.com/digin/post/mixed-nut-butter

rcjchicity

Post by rcjchicity » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:20 am

JoinToday wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:04 am
yukonjack wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:52 pm
I’ve been eating Kirkland’s Organic Creamy PB for several years and think it’s one of the better ones. It’s basically just the peanuts with a little sea salt.
This is it -- Costco / Kirkland 2 pack of peanut butter. I stir both as soon as I get home, and put both in the refrigerator.

I used to only open one, and by the time I opened the 2nd jar, all the solids settled out and it was much harder to stir adequately.
We turn ours upside down until time to open.

My kids eat a ton of pb&j's (and so does my husband since he has to bring his lunch to work and has no place to store it except his backpack), so I appreciate the huge amount you get in the 2-pack.

Plus, I appreciate the lack of sugar in this peanut butter, since sugar makes my kids act like they're on speed. :shock:

dm200

Post by dm200 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:15 pm

palaheel wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:05 pm
Simply JIF for us. Of the brands that don't separate, it has the least amount of sugar that I've found.
I was 100% fine with the "all natural" that separates - once I got used to it AND refrigerated it after opening.

Maybe just my "taste", but I sense more "peanut" taste in the all natural - AND notice a taste difference between brands. A few years ago, Costco changed its "all natural" from using one type of peanut to another - and I sensed a very different peanut taste.

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:32 pm

Kristen wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:13 pm
Kroger's store brand Natural creamy (or crunchy if that's your jam). Ingredients: Roasted peanuts and salt. Unfortunately it only comes in (teeny tiny) 15 oz jars so you have to buy ~20 at a time, which is a little embarrassing. They are ~1.79 each. It is by far my favorite peanut butter and it also happens to be the least expensive I've found. Possibly other stores related to Kroger carry the same product under their store label?
We use Kroger/Private Selection brands and yes here in the PNW some of the Kroger brands are also sold at Fred Meyer and QFC which are banners owned by Kroger. Agree on the Kroger Natural peanut butter, it's very good.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca

squirm

Post by squirm » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:54 pm

Just grind your own at the grocery store, fun and healthy.

StlIllini

Post by StlIllini » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:12 pm

Skippy Natural with Honey. Can't go back to regular after tasting this!

bengal22

Post by bengal22 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:50 am

Love Jif peanut butter on a toasted English muffin with some Welch's grape jelly. Chased with cold white milk.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley

tooluser

Post by tooluser » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:53 pm

bengal22 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:50 am
Chased with cold white milk.
The best milk is a little yellow and tastes slightly of onion. That's how you know it came from a real cow, with verdure to eat and places to be. :beer

And I will note that apparently no Boglehead uses a specialized tool to stir their peanut butter.
"Budget: A mathematical confirmation of your suspicions” is a jocular quotation that was credited to A. A. Lattimer in 1949. Nothing else is known about the author besides this quotation.

bengal22

Post by bengal22 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:00 pm

tooluser wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:53 pm
bengal22 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:50 am
Chased with cold white milk.
The best milk is a little yellow and tastes slightly of onion. That's how you know it came from a real cow, with verdure to eat and places to be. :beer

And I will note that apparently no Boglehead uses a specialized tool to stir their peanut butter.
So some milk comes from fake cows?
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley

stemikger

Post by stemikger » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:25 pm

I love Jif, Peter Pan and Skippy. I do not like the reduced fat Skippy at all.

I eat Peanut Butter on a daily basis and I prefer creamy over crunchy.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!

tooluser

Post by tooluser » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:36 pm

bengal22 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:00 pm
Country milk vs City milk, at least as of ~40 years ago.

Analogies with well water vs municipal water, even to the present day. Something must be wrong if it's perfect.

tooluser

Post by tooluser » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:37 pm

tooluser wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:36 pm
bengal22 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:00 pm
Country milk vs City milk, at least as of ~40 years ago.

Analogies with well water vs municipal water, even to the present day. Something must be wrong if it's perfect.

City chicken, too.

PoultryMan

Post by PoultryMan » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:44 pm

Red wing

Casper

Post by Casper » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:53 pm

Maybe I'm crazy, but if your PB is made from peanuts with nothing else, isn't that just ground up peanuts? I thought the sugar and oil is what makes it peanut "butter." I'm sure all-natural ground peanuts are delicious (and I will try it for sure), but that doesn't sound like peanut butter and seems like an apples/oranges comparison. Like saying your favorite ice cream is greek yogurt. But I'm certain I will be proven wrong very shortly.

TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:14 pm

Casper wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:53 pm
Maybe I'm crazy, but if your PB is made from peanuts with nothing else, isn't that just ground up peanuts?
Authoritative answer: https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/ ... t%20butter
Background listening podcast while you run or garden for how defining what peanut butter is led to the US consumer movement - see my first post in this thread.
"A squirrel is just a rat with a cuter outfit." - Carrie Bradshaw. (67 VT/33 TSP G)

Youngblood

Post by Youngblood » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:53 am

Only Jif extra crunchy
"I made my money by selling too soon." | Bernard M. Baruch