What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
lthenderson

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by lthenderson » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:44 am

montanagirl wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:44 pm
Went back a few years to read Guns, Germs and Steel. This is to go with the more recent 10,000 Year Explosion, Troublesome Inheritance, and Who We Are and How We Got Here.

Any other genetics-anthropology titles appreciated.
How about "How to Build a Dinosaur"? I really enjoyed this book when it came out.

https://www.amazon.com/How-Build-Dinosa ... 0452296013

CollegePrudens

Post by CollegePrudens » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:30 pm

jjunk wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:56 pm
Disrupted: Dan Lyons, 50yr old re-enters the workforce via startup, hilarity and sabotage ensues
I read this recently (in 2019). Good read. Stark reminder of toxic workplaces, ageism and the consequences of not saving enough early in one's career.

Lyons is too cynical for my taste, but I am glad that he got out in one piece. I shudder at the thought of somebody like Trotsky (Joe Chernov) as a manager and am thankful that I haven't had to deal with anything close (although one manager displayed shades of Trotsky-like behavior in the past).
We need to learn to want what we have, not to have what we want, in order to get stable and steady happiness - The 14th Dalai Lama

CollegePrudens

Post by CollegePrudens » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:50 pm

crystalbank wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:47 pm
Just finished reading Small Fry by Lisa Brennan-Jobs. It's a fascinating book even if you're not slightly interested in Steve Jobs as a person. I don't have strong opinions on any of the principal characters in the book, but after reading it made me realize that our future self is the best judge of our own character. You can fool everyone else, but you cannot fool yourself.
I read “small fry” a couple months ago. It reminds me (now) of what not to do as a parent. Jobs (the dad) comes across as a terrible person - the opposite of what one should aspire to as a parent.
We need to learn to want what we have, not to have what we want, in order to get stable and steady happiness - The 14th Dalai Lama

FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:27 pm

"SPQR - A History Of Ancient Rome", by Mary Beard (Live Right Publishing Co. 2015)

My father - in his retirement - worked his way through all eight volumes of Edward Gibbon's "The History of The Decline And Fall Of The Roman Empire". I decided to take a less strenuous path and picked up Ms. Beard's tome. She is an eminent classicist at Cambridge. Her book is very readable and never boring. She delights in pointing out that too many of the tales told about ancient Rome and its emperors and its politicians and its citizens don't have a lot of believable evidence to back them up; in other words, they are probably just fables. However, what we do know with more certainty about the first millennium of the Roman Empire is astounding enough. After all - Rome started out as a sleepy little village of maybe 10,000 on the Tiber River, which eventually grew to a polity of 30,000,000 citizens proclaiming their allegiance to an Empire which covered a large part of the known world.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:18 pm

FreeAtLast wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:27 pm
"SPQR - A History Of Ancient Rome", by Mary Beard (Live Right Publishing Co. 2015)

My father - in his retirement - worked his way through all eight volumes of Edward Gibbon's "The History of The Decline And Fall Of The Roman Empire". I decided to take a less strenuous path and picked up Ms. Beard's tome. She is an eminent classicist at Cambridge. Her book is very readable and never boring. She delights in pointing out that too many of the tales told about ancient Rome and its emperors and its politicians and its citizens don't have a lot of believable evidence to back them up; in other words, they are probably just fables. However, what we do know with more certainty about the first millennium of the Roman Empire is astounding enough. After all - Rome started out as a sleepy little village of maybe 10,000 on the Tiber River, which eventually grew to a polity of 30,000,000 citizens proclaiming their allegiance to an Empire which covered a large part of the known world.
Her "Fires of Vesuvius" is also worth reading.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

aspirit

Post by aspirit » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:44 pm

‘Do not bet on on it’ by JBogle again.........

On page xx last paragraph it’s slighted towards
David Einhorn @ Green light Capital whom claims if gov had not reconfigured the U.S.A’s inflations benchmarks it would be near 10%.
1950s to- 80s policy & Guidelines changed.
GOOD LUCK!
Time & tides wait for no one. A man has to know his limitations. | "Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes it's laws" | — Mayer Amschel Bauer Rothschild ~

Wilderness Librarian

Post by Wilderness Librarian » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:41 pm

Walking by Henry David Thoreau.

Wanted to read this for a long time. Checked out the new 2017 printing with the intro by Adam Tuchinsky from the public library. Often considered Thoreau's second most important work with nature self-reflection and spiritual and physical exploration its dominant themes. I read it through fairly quickly knowing before I started I would want to buy this edition for later and deeper readings. I liked Tuchinsky's introduction as it really helps the modern reader place the work in context with Walden and critical interpretations. This ed. also has b&w photos some historical some contemporary from the Concord area.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:31 am

FreeAtLast wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:27 pm

SPQR is an excellent book in my opinion, I enjoyed reading it.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

Halicar

Post by Halicar » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:06 am

Stop Me if You've Heard This: A History and Philosophy of Jokes by Jim Holt. My current favorite non-fiction author--I highly recommend his books Why Does the World Exist and When Einstein Walked with Godel. A very short book--I read half of it last night and I'm sure I'll finish it tonight. It was originally written for a special humor edition of The New Yorker and I'm not sure that it really stands on it's own as a book.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:40 am

I can hardly say "are currently" because it is so short that I finished it very soon after starting it... part of a local program involving a lot of people of very mixed ages and reading ability reading the same book... but I found Seedfolks, by Paul Fleischman, to be wonderful and surprisingly moving.

The reason I say "surprisingly," and the reason I hate to try to describe it, is that from the descriptions I thought it would be unreasonably upbeat, positive, saccharine, etc. It isn't. It's quite well done. It isn't ironic black humor, I don't think it's likely become a Banned Book, but it's good.

It's about people in Cleveland who start a community garden in an vacant lot full of junk.

Darn it all, I lost you right there, didn't I? Sounds boring. I really liked it and I am not a gardener.

Described as being for "young adults," Lexile 710L.

I don't believe there's any actual Gibb Street in Cleveland. It's odd because there are dozens of reviews, study guides, etc. all over the Internet and they all just say the story is set on "Gibb Street in Cleveland" without the slightest note on whether the street itself is real or fictional. I'm pretty sure Cleveland is a real city, but (only Stan Freberg fans will get this) "I still ain't sure about Toledo."
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:58 am

Fortunes of War: The Balkan Trilogy, by Olivia Manning

Harriet and Guy Pringle, British newlyweds, arrive in Bucharest to start Guy’s job as a college professor, just as World War II is breaking out. The books are a lightly fictionized version of Manning’s experience during WWII. The first two books take place in Romania, as the British colony there watches Romania gradually turn away from Britain and towards the Nazis, and the Nazi war machine creeps closer and closer. The third book takes place in Athens, where nobody has much of anything to do and, like the Greeks, not much to eat, and the British diaspora is becalmed in Greece without a way to leave.

The first book especially, is full of vivid descriptions of the time and place, from a different perspective than most books about the era. In the second book the war gets serious, the Nazis are coming, and the book oozes with that tension. The third book is still an interesting view of the war, but the internal office politics of the British community take over at times, which is much less interesting. Still a worthwhile read, but not as tightly written as the first two books.

Wilderness Librarian

Post by Wilderness Librarian » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:00 am

Sage Grouse: Icon of the West / photographs by Noppadol Paothong and text by Kathy Love.

Winner of the 2018 National Outdoor Book award in the category of design & artistic merit. A large format (larger than most books but smaller than coffee table size). Sage grouse are an amazing species totally dependent on sagebrush for food shelter mating and nesting. As such it is a keystone and indicator of the health and vibrancy of the entire threatened sagebrush ecology. Photographs especially closeups good but I thought the text was the best part as it went into more scientific detail and public policy discussion than most of this format. A timely book as New York Times reported only yesterday the Trump administration's finalization of plans to roll back habitat protection in favor of increased oil & gas exploration & development.

crystalbank

Post by crystalbank » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:28 pm

CollegePrudens wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:50 pm
crystalbank wrote:
Just finished reading Small Fry by Lisa Brennan-Jobs. It's a fascinating book even if you're not slightly interested in Steve Jobs as a person. I don't have strong opinions on any of the principal characters in the book, but after reading it made me realize that our future self is the best judge of our own character. You can fool everyone else, but you cannot fool yourself.
I read “small fry” a couple months ago. It reminds me (now) of what not to do as a parent. Jobs (the dad) comes across as a terrible person - the opposite of what one should aspire to as a parent.
To me, even the author of the book didn't come off as good. I think she also comes off somewhat narcissistic and impulsive just like her father.

CollegePrudens

Post by CollegePrudens » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:26 pm

Indeed. The author had a tough childhood on account of her father and a mother who seemed fiscally irresponsible and mentally unstable at times (if the book is to be believed). Obviously, it is hard to tell how much of this is nature vs (lack of) nurture. Regardless, I took away from the book that kids can absorb or remember a lot from their parents, even at a young age. And that has some major implications for parenting (at least for me).
crystalbank wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:28 pm
CollegePrudens wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:50 pm
crystalbank wrote:
To me, even the author of the book didn't come off as good. I think she also comes off somewhat narcissistic and impulsive just like her father.

TheAccountant

Post by TheAccountant » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:46 pm

Too Big to Fail by Andrew Ross Sorkin. It's an inside look on the 2008 financial crisis.

Of course my local library gets a copy after I already bought one, but it was only about $ 7 shipped on eBay. I forgot how much easier on the eyes a paperback copy is. Amazon wanted $ 15 just for the Kindle version.

Well worth the read IMO:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5320 ... _sacat%3D0
A real-life thriller about the most tumultuous period in America's financial history by an acclaimed New York TimesReporter Andrew Ross Sorkin delivers the first true behind-the-scenes, moment-by-moment account of how the greatest financial crisis since the Great Depression developed into a global tsunami. From inside the corner office at Lehman Brothers to secret meetings in South Korea, and the corridors of Washington, Too Big to Failis the definitive story of the most powerful men and women in finance and politics grappling with success and failure, ego and greed, and, ultimately, the fate of the world's economy. "We've got to get some foam down on the runway!" a sleepless Timothy Geithner, the then-president of the Federal Reserve of New York, would tell Henry M. Paulson, the Treasury secretary, about the catastrophic crash the world's financial system would experience. Through unprecedented access to the players involved, Too Big to Failre-creates all the drama and turmoil, revealing neverdisclosed details and elucidating how decisions made on Wall Street over the past decade sowed the seeds of the debacle. This true story is not just a look at banks that were "too big to fail," it is a real-life thriller with a cast of bold-faced names who themselves thought they were too big to fail.
Making cents out of every dollar.

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:43 am

Started One Hundred Years of Solitude last night.

SagaciousTraveler

Post by SagaciousTraveler » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:25 am

The Brain: The Story of You by David Eagleman.

Wonderful and insightful. He presented a very clean and easy way to understand the complexity of our Brain.

Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:37 pm

Is Paris Burning by Larry Collins and Dominque Lapierre.

No, this book is not about the Yellow Vest protests that happen every Saturday.

It is an intriguing look at Paris in August 1944, the last few weeks of the German occupation. I am about 1/3 of the way through the book. The Germans are planting explosives all over the city with the intent of total destruction prior to the arrival of the Allies. The German commander is intent on destroying the city, but not until the last possible moment. He is under pressure from his superiors who want the destruction to commence immediately.

Shirin Mohanty

Post by Shirin Mohanty » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:51 am

AllStarDaniel wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:27 am
Money Master the Game by Tony Robbins.
These Truths: A History of the United States by Jill Lepore.
Reagan: An American Journey by Bob Spitz.
Reading Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki. It's legit motivational and practical book. A must read!

Blues

Post by Blues » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:58 am

Just finished "The Border" by Don Winslow. A fitting ending for his narco-trafficking trilogy.

Started "The River" by Peter Heller last night.
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:32 am

Blues wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:58 am
I read and enjoyed The Painter earlier this year. I hope you'll come back and let us know how you like this one.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:57 am

Shirin Mohanty wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:51 am
AllStarDaniel wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:27 am
Money Master the Game by Tony Robbins.
These Truths: A History of the United States by Jill Lepore.
Reagan: An American Journey by Bob Spitz.
Reading Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki. It's legit motivational and practical book. A must read!
Robert Kiyosaki "has been criticized for advocating the practices of debatable legality perceived as "get rich quick" philosophy.[10] Kiyosaki is the subject of a class action suit against him by people who attended his seminars and has been the subject of two investigative documentaries by CBC Canada and WTAE USA.[11][12] Kiyosaki's company filed for bankruptcy in 2012.[13]"

"In 2007, the Ohio state government Division of Real Estate and Professional Licensing issued an extraordinary statement warning people against some of the illegal methods that were being preached by Kiyosaki in his books and seminars.[62][63] In 2010, the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation did an exposé on scams that were being perpetuated by Kiyosaki's company in Canada in the guise of seminars. Upon tracking the success claims of "Rich Dad" seminar organizers, they discovered that these claims were not true. Investments in trailers and trailer parks, which were being propagated as "successful" by seminar teachers, were found to actually be barren pieces of land that no one was using."

Wkipedia article
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

Blues

Post by Blues » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:16 am

mak1277 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:32 am
Blues wrote:
I read and enjoyed The Painter earlier this year. I hope you'll come back and let us know how you like this one.
I really enjoyed "The Dog Stars" by Heller...but really disliked "The Painter".

Hopefully "The River" will get me back to enjoying his work. So far it seems good, though he has been a bit (overly) repetitive in the first few chapters. Still, as someone who has done his share of climbing, canoeing, backpacking etc around the lower 48 and Alaska, the subject matter is of interest to me.
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:38 pm

TheAccountant wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:46 pm
Too Big to Fail by Andrew Ross Sorkin. It's an inside look on the 2008 financial crisis. ...
Agree on the Sorkin book as one of the best on the crisis, although there are many good ones. Another that has stayed with me since reading it in 2011 is All The Devils Are Here by Bethany McLean and Joe Nocera. The prologue about a 2007 meeting between Merrill Lynch CEO Stan O'Neal and the company's long-neglected risk manager is especially memorable, as the apparently clueless O'Neal tries to determine the extent of the firm's potential losses. The answer is in the billions, after which a distressed O'Neal asks the risk manager how this could have happened.

Another great crisis book, of course, is The Big Short, by Michael Lewis.
John Bogle on his early road to low-cost indexing: "When a door closes, if you look long enough and hard enough, if you're strong enough, you'll find a window that opens."

TheAccountant

Post by TheAccountant » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:01 pm

Fallible wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:38 pm
TheAccountant wrote:
Too Big to Fail by Andrew Ross Sorkin. It's an inside look on the 2008 financial crisis. ...
Agree on the Sorkin book as one of the best on the crisis, although there are many good ones. Another that has stayed with me since reading it in 2011 is All The Devils Are Here by Bethany McLean and Joe Nocera. The prologue about a 2007 meeting between Merrill Lynch CEO Stan O'Neal and the company's long-neglected risk manager is especially memorable, as the apparently clueless O'Neal tries to determine the extent of the firm's potential losses. The answer is in the billions, after which a distressed O'Neal asks the risk manager how this could have happened.

Just added the big short to my reading list, thanks.

Is that the book based on the movie? I saw the movie and thought it was pretty good.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:05 pm

TheAccountant wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:01 pm
Just added the big short to my reading list, thanks.

Is that the book based on the movie?
The movie was based on the book, which is typically the sequence of events.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:08 pm

Fallible wrote:
Another that has stayed with me since reading it in 2011 is All The Devils Are Here by Bethany McLean and Joe Nocera.
This one is particularly good in that it provides some historical context that goes back quite a way.

CarpeDiem22

Post by CarpeDiem22 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:48 am

With the yield curve starting to invert, I market timed my reading list and read The Great Crash of 1929 by John Kenneth Galbraith. For those who haven't read this one yet, it deals with the Great Crash of 1929-1932 and the Great Depression of the next decade. It tries to explain the causes and effects of both separately.

Next on my list is The Great Depression: A Diary by Benjamin Roth.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:42 am

Citizen Soldiers, by Stephen L. Ambrose.

This is a history of World War II in Northwest Europe after the Normandy invasion, focused on the experiences of enlisted men and junior officers in the Army, with almost no discussion of strategy or senior officers.

I think that this is a very good book, and recommend it.

Blues

Post by Blues » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:46 am

I've read many or most of Ambrose's works and enjoyed them all.

SagaciousTraveler

Post by SagaciousTraveler » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:53 pm

The Raven Tower by Ann Leckie.

Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:22 pm

Fallible wrote:
TheAccountant wrote:

I read Too Big To Fail when it first came out. I really enjoyed it, but didn't think it did a good job of explaining the background and genesis of the crisis. I read Ben Bernanke's The Courage To Act a few years later to get a better understanding of the underlying causes. It was a good combo. Sorkin's book more of a play by play, really more journalistic, and Bernanke's view from the Fed of what precipitated the crisis, and their response.

TheAccountant

Post by TheAccountant » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:39 am

I put together a top 10 list if anyone is interested:

http://chrisleoonline.com/personal-finance-book/

Blues

Post by Blues » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:54 am

mak1277 wrote:
Blues wrote:
"The River" was fair to middlin'. Repetitive, somewhat one dimensional and never really reached the level of what it might have been. A bit of a letdown...which represents two disappointments in a row for Heller in my view. Too bad, as "The Dog Stars" showed a lot of promise, imho.

Currently reading "The Wolf and the Watchman" by Niklas Natt och Dag.

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:06 pm

Blues wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:54 am
mak1277 wrote:
Blues wrote:
"The River" was fair to middlin'. Repetitive, somewhat one dimensional and never really reached the level of what it might have been. A bit of a letdown...which represents two disappointments in a row for Heller in my view. Too bad, as "The Dog Stars" showed a lot of promise, imho.

Currently reading "The Wolf and the Watchman" by Niklas Natt och Dag.
Thanks for the feedback. Looks like I'll be skipping this one. I recently heard someone comparing The Dog Stars with The Road, which I think is an amazing book.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:16 pm

The Lovely Bones, by Alice Sebold

Told from the first person perspective of a teenage girl who’s watching her family, friends, and killer, from heaven, after she is murdered in a cornfield. Still not sure how I feel about this one. Parts of it were spot on, and parts seemed contrived. In general, a qualified thumbs up.
Last edited by quantAndHold on Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blues

Post by Blues » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:18 pm

mak1277 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:06 pm
Thanks for the feedback. Looks like I'll be skipping this one. I recently heard someone comparing The Dog Stars with The Road, which I think is an amazing book.
You're welcome. I do recommend "The Dog Stars". Quite a good read, imho. And, as a big fan of all things Cormac McCarthy, I recommend nearly anything by him.

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:56 pm

I'm reading a few books.

One Second After - power goes out in multiple countries, chaos ensues. The writing is a little uneven, but it's a compelling story. This book makes me paranoid that my current well-stocked pantry is not enough. :)

Professional Baking - always trying to be a better baker!

The Dictionary of Cultural Literacy - I want to get better at Jeopardy and Ken Jennings recommended this book in one of his Reddit AMA's.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca

Misciagno

Post by Misciagno » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:02 am

Just finished “Enough” by Jack Bogle. Excellent and thoughtful book, more poignant now with his recent passing.

Continuing with “Essays” by Michel de Montaigne. Awesome collection of short essays by a “modern” 16th century French philosopher and businessman. The more recent Screech translation is *much* easier to read than Cotton.
"History doesn’t repeat itself, but it often rhymes." -- Mark Twain

jdb

Post by jdb » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:54 pm

Just finished Spearhead by Adam Markos. Fascinating history of US 3rd Armored Division, the “Spearhead Division”, in the European campaign of 1944 and 1945, focusing on a tank gunner and his crew who were assigned one of the first Pershing tanks delivered for combat duty, and saw lots of action including Battle of Bulge and tank duels with German Panther tanks including one in front of Cologne cathedral in March 1945. Most compelling for me was the PTSD suffered by tank gunner 60 years later, guilt over killing of young German woman riding in speeding car in front of Cologne cathedral. He made acquaintance with German tanker from Panther tank which was there and they met in Cologne, visited woman’s grave site, where he learned that the German tanker had also fired machine guns at woman’s car, he also shared guilt. And the two men became friends more than 60 years after their combat. Fascinating true story, highly recommend.

Wings5

Post by Wings5 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:03 pm

I just finished The Passing of the Night, by Robinson Risner. Great story of his 7 years as a POW.

Case59

Post by Case59 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:21 pm

The Trial of Lizzie Borden, by Cara Robertson. The Trial of the Century for the 1800's. and as fascinating as ever today.
"Most quotations on the internet are incorrect."-Mark Twain

forgeblast

Post by forgeblast » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:03 am

Can't Hurt Me by David Goggins amazing book, with challenges for personal growth. I cant say enough good things about this book.

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:08 pm

forgeblast wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:03 am
Can't Hurt Me by David Goggins amazing book, with challenges for personal growth. I cant say enough good things about this book.
Agree completely. AMAZING!
Funding secured

mancich

Post by mancich » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:18 pm

Just finished Bad Blood, by John Carreyrou, the story of Elizabeth Holmes and Theranos. Outstanding read, I could barely put it down.

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:30 pm

mancich wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:18 pm
Just finished Bad Blood, by John Carreyrou, the story of Elizabeth Holmes and Theranos. Outstanding read, I could barely put it down.
I read it a few months ago, finishing in a couple of days. Yes, an outstanding read, and one that outraged me about the lives put at risk by a "technology" that didn't work, that took years to uncover and put out of business.

HBO is showing "The Inventor: Out for Blood in Silicon Valley". Its a documentary about Theranos and the principal participants. Basically the same story as the book, but with a lot of footage of Holmes, and so many of the very famous people on the Board of Directors: quoting Fortune "We have former Secretary of State Henry Kissinger, former Secretary of Defense Bill Perry, former Secretary of State George Shultz, former Senators Sam Nunn and Bill Frist (who, it should be noted, is a surgeon), former Navy Admiral Gary Roughead, former Marine Corps General James Mattis, and former CEOs Dick Kovacevich of Wells Fargo and Riley Bechtel of Bechtel. There is also one former epidemiologist—William Foege, and, in addition to Holmes, one current executive, Sunny Balwani, who is Theranos’ president and CEO."
David Boies was also involved and on the Board for awhiile.
I don't think anyone ever has offered an apology, and so far I don't think anyone has been convicted of anything.

Dantes

Post by Dantes » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:27 pm

The Whys of a Philosophical Scrivener by Martin Gardner. A collection of essays on what he believed and did not believe, in philosophy, ethics, economics, political theory and religion. Gardner is best known for either his long-running column in Scientific American magazine, or his annotated editions of Lewis Carroll's stories - depending. Gardner is often described as a polymath, and that shows in these essays. They are very readable.

There is a lot of humor in these essays. Here's one from the notes at the end that I particularly like - its a quote by Melvin Fitting, second or third hand, a logician who is now a professor emeritus in New York, as reported by Raymond Smullyan: “Of course I believe that solipsism is the correct philosophy, but that’s only one man’s opinion”.

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:21 pm

heartwood wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:30 pm
mancich wrote:
I read it a few months ago, finishing in a couple of days. Yes, an outstanding read, and one that outraged me about the lives put at risk by a "technology" that didn't work, that took years to uncover and put out of business.

HBO is showing "The Inventor: Out for Blood in Silicon Valley". Its a documentary about Theranos and the principal participants. Basically the same story as the book, but with a lot of footage of Holmes, and so many of the very famous people on the Board of Directors: quoting Fortune "We have former Secretary of State Henry Kissinger, former Secretary of Defense Bill Perry, former Secretary of State George Shultz, former Senators Sam Nunn and Bill Frist (who, it should be noted, is a surgeon), former Navy Admiral Gary Roughead, former Marine Corps General James Mattis, and former CEOs Dick Kovacevich of Wells Fargo and Riley Bechtel of Bechtel. There is also one former epidemiologist—William Foege, and, in addition to Holmes, one current executive, Sunny Balwani, who is Theranos’ president and CEO."
I don't think anyone ever has offered an apology, and so far I don't think anyone has been convicted of anything.
Here's the latest I've seen: Holmes and Balwani due for a status hearing April 22. She's pleaded not guilty.
https://mashable.com/article/elizabeth- ... -inventor/
John Bogle on his early road to low-cost indexing: "When a door closes, if you look long enough and hard enough, if you're strong enough, you'll find a window that opens."

HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:50 pm

Artful Dodger wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:22 pm
Fallible wrote:
TheAccountant wrote:

I read Too Big To Fail when it first came out. I really enjoyed it, but didn't think it did a good job of explaining the background and genesis of the crisis. I read Ben Bernanke's The Courage To Act a few years later to get a better understanding of the underlying causes. It was a good combo. Sorkin's book more of a play by play, really more journalistic, and Bernanke's view from the Fed of what precipitated the crisis, and their response.
Adam Tooze's Crashed is a long but excellent deep dive into the economic causes and aftermath of 2008. Tooze ties the haphazard development of the global debt networks into the domestic and international political rollercoaster of the last ten years. Highly recommended. I agree with the All the Devils Are Here recommendation, along with McLean's follow-up on Fannie and Freddie, Shaky Ground.

I'm currently reading The Battle of Bretton Woods: John Maynard Keynes, Harry Dexter White, and the Making of a New World Order by Benn Steil. One third Keynes biography, one third Harry White biography (Keynes' American counterpart and Soviet informant), one third history of the development of the post-war financial landscape. I'm about halfway through. Perhaps a little longer than it needs to be but very interesting.

Case59

Post by Case59 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:17 pm

heartwood wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:30 pm
mancich wrote:

I watched The Inventor also. Fascinating and deeply disturbing.
"Most quotations on the internet are incorrect."-Mark Twain