Button Down Shirts / Travel Pants / Light Jacket? Other Tips from experienced Boglehead world travelers?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
xb7

Re: Button Down Shirts / Travel Pants / Light Jacket? Other Tips from experienced Boglehead world travelers?

Post by xb7 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:16 pm

The thing that I haven't dialed in yet is being pick-pocket proof. It's never happened to me, and in most places I go overseas it's no more of a risk than walking around places at home, but --- there are of course certain places where you're a lot more at risk, and when traveling overseas there are situations where it's better to have my passport on me, so that's one more thing to secure --- wallet, cell phone, and passport. In cooler temperatures it's not so hard to put these things in inner pockets, possibly using one of those travel vests for the purpose, so it's just the quite infrequent combination of warmer weather and touristy areas in a big city that are of any concern for me.

I'm giving a try to a couple of new things (new for me) for an upcoming trip. One is one of these things that have a couple of belt loops to hold your stuff inside your pants; you pull it out (with belt loops still attached to belt) to temporarily access contents. I'm finding it comfortable enough, which is a big win; I do worry that some thieves with experience will recognize it --- quick and easy to cut the loops when I'm distracted, and then everything just falls to the ground inside my pant leg.

I'm also trying out a couple of different pairs of underwear that have pockets sewn on. Put passport in a ziplock bag and into one little pocket, a minimal wallet the same in the other pocket. Then have a 'dummy' wallet with a few cards I don't care about (library card, AAA card, that sort of thing) and some "walking around cash". Pay for things with that wallet whenever possible, carry that where I usually carry my real wallet.

I AM sort of over-thinking this a little, but I'd like to get a good system I can comfortably switch to whenever I'm in an area that looks likely to have pickpockets working the crowds.

The final option that I might try is similar to the old style wear-under-your-pants kind of hidden pouch for valuables --- I always found those to be uncomfortable --- but this one is in the form of a cross-the-chest bandolier. A concern with that is that in warm weather if I just wear a t-shirt, it's too likely to show I think.

Interested in what others do here, other than hope that luck is on your side!

xb7

Re: Button Down Shirts / Travel Pants / Light Jacket? Other Tips from experienced Boglehead world travelers?

Post by xb7 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:18 pm

Ah, sorry, I should add to my last post that I looked into the "pickpocket proof pants" idea, and just didn't find any that I liked when I looked into them and read reviews.

StandingRock

Post by StandingRock » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:27 pm

Kuhl pants are some of the best I have ever owned. I like the convertible cargo pants, you can zip off the legs. Always feel warm to me when it's cold and cool when it's hot.

One hassle is that the extra zippers and buttons means I get frisked trying to get through security at the airports, because they always seem to throw up a flag in the scanner machine. Other than that I love em.

https://www.kuhl.com/kuhl/mens/pants/re ... gLBS_D_BwE

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:04 pm

From Costco. Eddie Bauer adventure travel pants. $21.99 free delivery. My best pants for travel yet
Two way stretch. Neutral colors. Water resistant.
Fit like jeans. No cargo pockets, so not so obvious as travel pants.
I like them a lot. Wearing them now on the ferry from Gozo. Got two more weeks to go.

Topic Author
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:13 pm

xb7 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:16 pm
The thing that I haven't dialed in yet is being pick-pocket proof. It's never happened to me, and in most places I go overseas it's no more of a risk than walking around places at home, but --- there are of course certain places where you're a lot more at risk, and when traveling overseas there are situations where it's better to have my passport on me, so that's one more thing to secure --- wallet, cell phone, and passport. In cooler temperatures it's not so hard to put these things in inner pockets, possibly using one of those travel vests for the purpose, so it's just the quite infrequent combination of warmer weather and touristy areas in a big city that are of any concern for me.

I'm giving a try to a couple of new things (new for me) for an upcoming trip. One is one of these things that have a couple of belt loops to hold your stuff inside your pants; you pull it out (with belt loops still attached to belt) to temporarily access contents. I'm finding it comfortable enough, which is a big win; I do worry that some thieves with experience will recognize it --- quick and easy to cut the loops when I'm distracted, and then everything just falls to the ground inside my pant leg.

I'm also trying out a couple of different pairs of underwear that have pockets sewn on. Put passport in a ziplock bag and into one little pocket, a minimal wallet the same in the other pocket. Then have a 'dummy' wallet with a few cards I don't care about (library card, AAA card, that sort of thing) and some "walking around cash". Pay for things with that wallet whenever possible, carry that where I usually carry my real wallet.

I AM sort of over-thinking this a little, but I'd like to get a good system I can comfortably switch to whenever I'm in an area that looks likely to have pickpockets working the crowds.

The final option that I might try is similar to the old style wear-under-your-pants kind of hidden pouch for valuables --- I always found those to be uncomfortable --- but this one is in the form of a cross-the-chest bandolier. A concern with that is that in warm weather if I just wear a t-shirt, it's too likely to show I think.

I bought a pair of these slacks. They are comfortable. Seem long lasting. The security features are very interesting.
https://www.clothingarts.com/products/p ... avel_pants
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

Topic Author
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:15 pm

protagonist wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:21 pm
Look into an elastic traveling clothesline.

As per the 80/20 rule, I hope I am not grossing some people out by saying this, but a quick rinse of shirts and underwear in the tub, assuming no stains, and then hanging to dry, works wonders. If you have quick drying clothes you hardly have to pack anything. You can travel for weeks or even months that way and your clothes still look and smell fresh. This only really adds five or ten minutes to your daily routine and beats having to carry more than you need and spend a day of your holiday in a laundromat. Detergent/soap is not really necessary unless the clothes are really dirty- just a bit of elbow grease around sweaty areas. If you don't believe me, try it at home as an experiment. If my sweetie can't tell (and she can't), I guarantee that you will also be satisfied.

ps.... Unless you are going to Alaska in the winter, make sure your travel pants have zip-off legs.
Great tip!
Why "elastic"?

xb7

Post by xb7 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:37 pm

I bought a pair of these slacks. They are comfortable. Seem long lasting. The security features are very interesting.
https://www.clothingarts.com/products/p ... avel_pants
Those are the first that I looked at. First impression was good, but then I found a site that had a lot of complaints about how long it takes for these to be shipped after order --- several reviews talked about waiting months:
https://amateurtraveler.com/review-pick ... hing-arts/

My next trip is coming soon enough that I don't want to have to wonder about that.

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:52 pm

OP. You are way to concerned about safety of your valuables. If you wear a travel vest you will certainly look,like a target to pickpockets. Same with zip off pants. OK, sometimes in the third world you may get away with it, but most pickpocket situations are not in the third world. There are more pickpockets in Europe. That is a place you can blend in. But in your best and zip offs there is no blending.
Situational awareness and not looking like an easy target is better. However, better they should target your look and leave me alone. Tone down your exposure and let the pickpockets target the other people. In the pickpocket areas there are always "those other people" around.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:10 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:15 pm
protagonist wrote:

As per the 80/20 rule, I hope I am not grossing some people out by saying this, but a quick rinse of shirts and underwear in the tub, assuming no stains, and then hanging to dry, works wonders. If you have quick drying clothes you hardly have to pack anything. You can travel for weeks or even months that way and your clothes still look and smell fresh. This only really adds five or ten minutes to your daily routine and beats having to carry more than you need and spend a day of your holiday in a laundromat. Detergent/soap is not really necessary unless the clothes are really dirty- just a bit of elbow grease around sweaty areas. If you don't believe me, try it at home as an experiment. If my sweetie can't tell (and she can't), I guarantee that you will also be satisfied.

ps.... Unless you are going to Alaska in the winter, make sure your travel pants have zip-off legs.
Great tip!
Why "elastic"?
The one I own (I wish I could find a brand or link) can stretch and has hooks on either end, so regardless of the geometry of the space in which you are living, you can usually find a place to hang it that works. By elastic, I mean the property of being stretchable- I think mine is latex but I am not positive. The clothes do not slip off.

It has several clips along its length that serve like clothespins, and particularly useful are sliding plastic pieces that lock on to the clothesline between hooks that prevent your clothes from all sliding and bunching up at the lowest point on the line,

Oh, I forgot to mention packing cubes....very useful. But I imagine somebody else already has.

shans2000

Re: Men's No-Cotton Travel Pants Suggestions? Other Tips from experienced world travellers?

Post by shans2000 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:31 pm

5. Avoid any itineraries that go through the ACC, GCC, and a number of other countries where minor infractions could result in arrest. This includes being caught with muffins that have poppy seeds on them, among other things, or caught swearing (not at someone, but just in general).

[/quote]

What is ACC, GCC?

protagonist

Re: Men's No-Cotton Travel Pants Suggestions? Other Tips from experienced world travellers?

Post by protagonist » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:17 pm

shans2000 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:31 pm
5. Avoid any itineraries that go through the ACC, GCC, and a number of other countries where minor infractions could result in arrest. This includes being caught with muffins that have poppy seeds on them, among other things, or caught swearing (not at someone, but just in general).

Or just obey the laws of the countries you visit. That usually works.
For the record I wouldn't try swearing at a US customs official either. And definitely not at a flight attendant.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:23 pm

xb7 wrote:

An ex sewed a velcro pocket onto my underpants when I used to travel to Venezuela for months at a time, where you had to take all your money with you in the form of cash to get a decent exchange rate. As I own property there and would go for 3-5 months at a time, I would go down with $3000-5000 in hundred dollar bills. The pocket was long enough to fit all the money without folding it (and on the side). I could barely feel it, believe it or not.

In my apartment I would keep most of it stashed in a light switch box, rolled up tightly with a rubber band. Retrieving it just meant undoing 2 small screws in the switchplate.

Desperate times call for desperate measures. In many years of traveling there I never ran into problems.

Cunobelinus

Post by Cunobelinus » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:31 am

I saw that this was asked about on the first page or two, but I didn't see that anyone followed up:

Recommended immunizations / health info: https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/
-- Put in the country/countries you're to where you're looking to travel and it breaks down current health concerns and whether not any special immunizations are warranted.

General well-being w/ traveling: https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/page/resou ... -travelers

I've had to sign up for this before, but I couldn't tell you that it has ever been super useful:
https://step.state.gov/ Receive important information from the Embassy about safety conditions in your destination country, helping you make informed decisions about your travel plans.
-- it gives you alerts on any civil disturbances (protests/demonstrations, riots, etc) in your destination.

And finally, I always recommend setting up a dedicated, single-use e-mail account for that trip. Someone recommended having your travel documents in a encrypted USB stick, but I'd find that less useful. It's easier to lose an encrypted USB stick than an e-mail address, and you can't always find a computer that is insecure enough to permit plugging in USB sticks. In that dedicated, single-use e-mail account, I put digital copies of passport, itineraries, credit cards, etc. I won't use it unless necessary (I haven't had to yet). I wouldn't use my regular e-mail account because I assume that any e-mail account accessed from a foreign country via a public computer is probably compromised as soon as you log into it. (I'm taking off my tinfoil hat now).

You can also sign up for a GoogleVoice account ahead of time as a backup phone number that you can make/receive phone calls and texts from via wifi.

“There’s no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothes.”
-Norwegian saying (allegedly)

telemark

Post by telemark » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:52 am

protagonist wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:10 pm
Sandtrap wrote:
protagonist wrote:
Great tip!
Why "elastic"?
The one I own (I wish I could find a brand or link) can stretch and has hooks on either end, so regardless of the geometry of the space in which you are living, you can usually find a place to hang it that works. By elastic, I mean the property of being stretchable- I think mine is latex but I am not positive. The clothes do not slip off.

It has several clips along its length that serve like clothespins, and particularly useful are sliding plastic pieces that lock on to the clothesline between hooks that prevent your clothes from all sliding and bunching up at the lowest point on the line,
As an alternative, you can buy some ordinary parachute cord and learn to tie a taut-line hitch.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:29 pm

telemark wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:52 am
protagonist wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:10 pm
Sandtrap wrote:
protagonist wrote:
Great tip!
Why "elastic"?

As an alternative, you can buy some ordinary parachute cord and learn to tie a taut-line hitch.
Yes, true, but you would not have the built-in clips and stops that something like this has, for the price of $9.99. This looks a lot like the one I have:
https://www.amazon.com/HAWATOUR-Portabl ... C6HTPXWQSR

And I imagine the parachute cord might be in the same price range. I use mine at home as well as when traveling.
Then again, if you take my easy way out you may never learn how to tie a taut-line hitch, which seems like a potentially valuable skill.

ThereAreNoGurus

Re: Men's No-Cotton Travel Pants / Shirts Suggestions? Other Tips from experienced world travellers?

Post by ThereAreNoGurus » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:04 pm

THY4373 wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:55 am
TN_Boy wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:59 am
And finally Starfish, it's safe to drink the water in most 1st world countries, but there are plenty of places out there where you really really want bottled water (I haven't traveled much in such countries, but I have a relative who has).
I recently bought the Grayl water bottle filter (https://thegrayl.com/) for a trip to Egypt and it worked great. While bottled water was fairly widely available it was nice to never have to worry about running out.
I'm another happy Grayl customer. I've used it several times on trips.
Trade the news and you will lose.

dustinst22

Post by dustinst22 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:53 am

Shallowpockets wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:04 pm
From Costco. Eddie Bauer adventure travel pants. $21.99 free delivery. My best pants for travel yet
Two way stretch. Neutral colors. Water resistant.
Fit like jeans. No cargo pockets, so not so obvious as travel pants.
I like them a lot. Wearing them now on the ferry from Gozo. Got two more weeks to go.

Thanks, going to try these and compare to the expensive slim dungarees

tea_pirate

Post by tea_pirate » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:07 am

xb7 wrote:

I have a Saddleback Leather "front pocket ID wallet" ($49 on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Saddleback-Leath ... B07DBDJLP4).

Holds my driver's license, 2 credit cards (could probably fit another), health insurance cards, and over a dozen folded bills comfortably. I normally carry it in my back pocket, but I move it to the front pocket on top of my phone when I'm in an area of concern for pickpocketing. Keys go in the other front pocket.

No, I don't miss carrying 5 credit cards, 10 garbage store rewards cards and a pile of receipts in my wallet. My old wallet was causing me pains from sitting on it.

david_that_guy

Post by david_that_guy » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:27 am

I recently bought the Eddie Bauer Men's Horizon Guide Chino Pants, slim fit. They're very light, wind proof, good in the rain, dry quickly, and don't wrinkle (much). I haven't found any "wrinkle free" pants that are truly wrinkle free. I actually find the slim fit not quite slim enough, but I generally have that problem with clothes. I definitely plan to take them on my next trip, which is coming up soon.

I would like to try the Eddie Bauer Adventure Trek pants from Costco, but they don't sell them in waist size smaller than 34.

Has anyone tried the Costco Greg Norman Men's Stretch Travel Pants?

Blueskies123

Post by Blueskies123 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:41 am

david_that_guy wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:27 am
I recently bought the Eddie Bauer Men's Horizon Guide Chino Pants, slim fit. They're very light, wind proof, good in the rain, dry quickly, and don't wrinkle (much). I haven't found any "wrinkle free" pants that are truly wrinkle free. I actually find the slim fit not quite slim enough, but I generally have that problem with clothes. I definitely plan to take them on my next trip, which is coming up soon.

I would like to try the Eddie Bauer Adventure Trek pants from Costco, but they don't sell them in waist size smaller than 34.

Has anyone tried the Costco Greg Norman Men's Stretch Travel Pants?
A few other comments about the Costco Eddie Bauer. I just returned from my local Costco and they only had dozens of size 36. Nothing else. I also noticed the Costco version did not have a zippered thigh pocket. I think I see a thigh pocket on the more expense pant sold online. Can anyone confirm if the online version has features not found on the Costco version?

kryptonic

Re: Men's No-Cotton Travel Pants / Shirts Suggestions? Other Tips from experienced world travellers?

Post by kryptonic » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:33 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:00 pm

7. Have an appointment for "Global Entry" this week. So thanks to those that suggested that.

8. Not sure if I have a Passport "card". It was suggested here to keep 2 of things and mentioned that. Not sure.

Have not had any shirt suggestions to feedback on. Perhaps another thread for that would be in order.

Thanks again everyone.
Newbie Retired World Traveler
j :D
Passport card is an option when you get your passport. Global Entry comes with a card that will fill the same need/use, so no need to worry about #7. I carry my Global Entry card as a back-up government issued ID.

You may want to look at some travel underwear as well. I recommend ExOfficio give-and-go. My local Costco has 3-packs for $25 right now, which is actually quite a good deal. Usually a good deal for them is ~$12-$13 per pair.

As for shirts, I have a variety of travel shirts, but for the last several years I only bring my ExOfficio Air Strip ones. They are pricey, but I got them on a clearance deal from REI. I like the cut, quality, & patterns. I pair them with undershirts. I usually bring a couple of short sleeve button up shirts as well.
https://www.amazon.com/ExOfficio-Strip- ... B078C9NZZY

I like using packing cubes to keep things organized. I also bring an empty compression sack to put dirty clothes in.

I keep several zip-lock bags and a couple garbage bags rolled up tightly in my carry-on for whatever use may arise.

I make sure I have pins setup on my travel credit cards in case something goes wrong. Otherwise the plan is to use my debit card (which is the best way to get foreign cash).

I have good pack-able rain-gear, but I have found that I prefer to just take a small umbrella unless I am going to be in a rain-forest situation. Rain-gear takes up a fair amount of space & I rarely want to put on the pants.

Unless on a safari, I no longer carry a camera, just use my phone. If you will not have international data, good to download an offline map (can do with google maps) so that you can easily navigate the area without using data.

I think it is worth packing at lease one pair of what you typically wear at home. I bring and wear travel pants, but I always find myself wearing the jeans that I brought. It is what I wear at home, so usually what I feel like wearing when I am walking around when not in hot/humid places. Not efficient for packing, but it is what I am comfortable in.

I also bring lots of individually packaged hand wipes as well as a small bottle of hand sanitizer. I prefer the germ-x & wet-ones variety over the purell and sani-hands ones.

detroitbabu

Post by detroitbabu » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:20 pm

david_that_guy wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:27 am

I bought 3 in size 32 from Costco last month. May be your specific store ran out of that size.
Try Costco.com

david_that_guy

Post by david_that_guy » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:51 pm

detroitbabu wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:20 pm
I bought 3 in size 32 from Costco last month. May be your specific store ran out of that size.
Try Costco.com
I should have been more specific. I wear size 30 waist, and Costco does not sell that size online or in stores. I also checked the Greg Norman pants, and they are not made in size 30.

Topic Author
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:58 pm

kryptonic wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:33 am
Sandtrap wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:00 pm

7. Have an appointment for "Global Entry" this week. So thanks to those that suggested that.

8. Not sure if I have a Passport "card". It was suggested here to keep 2 of things and mentioned that. Not sure.

Have not had any shirt suggestions to feedback on. Perhaps another thread for that would be in order.

Thanks again everyone.
Newbie Retired World Traveler
j :D
Passport card is an option when you get your passport. Global Entry comes with a card that will fill the same need/use, so no need to worry about #7. I carry my Global Entry card as a back-up government issued ID.

You may want to look at some travel underwear as well. I recommend ExOfficio give-and-go. My local Costco has 3-packs for $25 right now, which is actually quite a good deal. Usually a good deal for them is ~$12-$13 per pair.

As for shirts, I have a variety of travel shirts, but for the last several years I only bring my ExOfficio Air Strip ones. They are pricey, but I got them on a clearance deal from REI. I like the cut, quality, & patterns. I pair them with undershirts. I usually bring a couple of short sleeve button up shirts as well.
https://www.amazon.com/ExOfficio-Strip- ... B078C9NZZY

I like using packing cubes to keep things organized. I also bring an empty compression sack to put dirty clothes in.

I keep several zip-lock bags and a couple garbage bags rolled up tightly in my carry-on for whatever use may arise.

I make sure I have pins setup on my travel credit cards in case something goes wrong. Otherwise the plan is to use my debit card (which is the best way to get foreign cash).

I have good pack-able rain-gear, but I have found that I prefer to just take a small umbrella unless I am going to be in a rain-forest situation. Rain-gear takes up a fair amount of space & I rarely want to put on the pants.

Unless on a safari, I no longer carry a camera, just use my phone. If you will not have international data, good to download an offline map (can do with google maps) so that you can easily navigate the area without using data.

I think it is worth packing at lease one pair of what you typically wear at home. I bring and wear travel pants, but I always find myself wearing the jeans that I brought. It is what I wear at home, so usually what I feel like wearing when I am walking around when not in hot/humid places. Not efficient for packing, but it is what I am comfortable in.

I also bring lots of individually packaged hand wipes as well as a small bottle of hand sanitizer. I prefer the germ-x & wet-ones variety over the purell and sani-hands ones.
Thanks a lot.
This is great info!
What is different about "travel underwear" vs "underwear" ???
:D

Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:11 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:58 pm

Travel underwear dries very quickly when washed in a hotel sink and smells fresh longer than regular underwear. I discovered the Ex-Officio Give N Go boxers last year and they are very good. Here are features listed on the Ex-Officio website:

Antimicrobial treatment reduces odor in fabric
Breathable mesh fabric supplies airflow to keep you cool
Durable fabric and comfortable waistband won’t stretch out
Easy-care so you only need two for any trip

kryptonic

Post by kryptonic » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:50 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:58 pm

Hockey10 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:11 pm

Travel underwear dries very quickly when washed in a hotel sink and smells fresh longer than regular underwear. I discovered the Ex-Officio Give N Go boxers last year and they are very good. Here are features listed on the Ex-Officio website:

Antimicrobial treatment reduces odor in fabric
Breathable mesh fabric supplies airflow to keep you cool
Durable fabric and comfortable waistband won’t stretch out
Easy-care so you only need two for any trip
All of the above... but basically they are nylon instead of cotton just like travel shirts and pants. They are comfortable, cool, & easy to clean.

I generally prefer cotton to synthetics, but no complaints about the Give N Go line.

Theseus

Post by Theseus » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:32 pm

This was a great thread - especially for travel pants.

I just bought two Eddie Bauer travel pants and a shirt. Everything is 50% off right now from Eddie Bauer if anyone is looking for buy things from there.

Snapper

Post by Snapper » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:50 pm

Really depends on where you are going. If to a large to medium European city I would not wear nylon. I want to blend in and look stylish. I wear Brooks Brothers no iron shirts and chinos in darker colors with Mephisto shoes as the are great to walk in and look dressed up or down. If I am going to the Caribbean I am very dressed down. I think you should blend in as much as possible. Full on travel gear will not do that and screams pick my pockets please.

ohai

Post by ohai » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:20 pm

Shallowpockets wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:52 pm
OP. You are way to concerned about safety of your valuables. If you wear a travel vest you will certainly look,like a target to pickpockets. Same with zip off pants. OK, sometimes in the third world you may get away with it, but most pickpocket situations are not in the third world. There are more pickpockets in Europe. That is a place you can blend in. But in your best and zip offs there is no blending.
Situational awareness and not looking like an easy target is better. However, better they should target your look and leave me alone. Tone down your exposure and let the pickpockets target the other people. In the pickpocket areas there are always "those other people" around.
Yes, don't look like a clueless tourist. Find some pictures of the place you want to go and dress kind of like that.

I do recommend linen or polymer clothing that dries quickly though. Also, walking sandals save on socks. The only thing I don't like to compromise is underwear. I don't want to wear some weird travel underwear. Better to bring more of the type that you are most comfortable with.

Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:53 am

xb7 wrote:
Try Bluffworks pants. They look like normal pants, but they have multiple zippered security pockets. They have everything from jeans to chinos to dress pants. They are the only pants I take with me when I travel.

https://shop.bluffworks.com/