How many companies have you worked for?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
oldcomputerguy

Re: How many companies have you worked for?

Post by oldcomputerguy » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:58 am

TL;DR version: three from 1974-1980 (plus a very short stint of self-employment installing CB radios). One from 1980 to retirement in 2017.

The longer version is a story of the early years' jumping around trying to find what I wanted to do with my life, and of finding it in 1980. The longer version also includes the company I went to work for in 1980 being owned by four different parent companies during my time there.
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:04 am

BradJ wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:16 pm
I’m 34, currently working for my second company (10 years at the first, going on 3 at my current)and currently mulling making another move. I actually don’t like moving around, but my current company has a rather slow culture and I’m looking for a more fast paced environment. Out of curiosity, how many companies have you worked for?
A bit better contextual question so others can benefit.

Actionably: Number of companies >> what was learned and acted upon for long term improvement?

10 early on >> learned I'm a far better entrepreneur and visionary than a compartmentalized or structured employee. Able to FIRE but did not because it was so much fun.

Lessons:
The earlier you know about yourself, areas you thrive, best long term career strategy, the better.
Capitalize on your strengths.
OP: Age 34 can easily be another "beginning".
Have fun.

StandingRock

Post by StandingRock » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:13 am

I'm on company number 15.

I stayed at my first job too long after college, was there for around 8 years and going nowhere basically. Didn't really start making decent money until I started contracting and driving up my rates.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:21 am

4 companies in 42 years. The first 3 were 2 years each, the last 36 years. I am married for 48 years. We have our last house for 32 years.

Bnjneer

Post by Bnjneer » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:24 am

I worked for two companies after college and then retired.

nguy44

Post by nguy44 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:46 am

I did a summer internship for one corporation before my junior year in college. Then did a summer internship for a second corporation before my senior year in college. The latter offered me a job at graduation. I worked for them for 39 years before retiring last year.

Psyayeayeduck

Post by Psyayeayeduck » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:52 am

5 total.

Longest: 5 years
Shortest: 1 month

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:12 am

Worked for 4 companies over last 11 years.
shortest: 6 months
longest: 4 yrs. ~8 months.

dsmil

Post by dsmil » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:18 am

9 years into my career and I'm at my 2nd company. I'm likely to stay here for as long as I can.

gorow

Post by gorow » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:22 am

64 and recently retired.
Went to work for megacorp1 right out of college, left them after 4 years for megacorp2 in the same industry. 18 months later recruited back to megacorp1.
After 16 years, megacorp1 was acquired by megacorp3.
Retired from megacorp3 after working in three different disciplines and 14 jobs over 40 years at the three corps.
So you might say I only worked for 2 or 3 employers, but many jobs.
Retired 1/1/2019. Not concerned about sequence of returns because two years here taught me what I need to know.

noupdjm

Post by noupdjm » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:37 am

59 next month and expecting to retire in <= 3 years.
Graduated college in 1982 and hired on at my current location.
Owned by one company from 1982 - 1999. Second owner 1999 - later this year. Third owner should be my last.
Same location, 3 different owners.

28fe6

Post by 28fe6 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:46 am

BradJ wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:58 pm
For those who have had multiple jobs before 40, have you ever left a good paying, safe job for another opportunity that was riskier?
I left a Fortune 500, household-name, "great place to work", for a midcorp niche player. In retrospect it had a lot to do with youthful ambition, since I was in my early career with not a lot to lose, but it definitely was, if anything, a positive move for my career.

Sure the smaller company was riskier in the short term, but you negotiate a deal that compensates somewhat for that, or you don't make the move, because you have a job so you have time on your side. The risk of staying with Megacorp is that they do a layoff in 10 years, and you have no skills outside of Megacorp, so you get outbid by new grads when you try (are forced) to get another job possibly at an inconvenient time. Far better to make a transition on your own timing.

33 and on company 3: worked 3years, 5 years, and 3mo so far at the latest one.

blackfish

Post by blackfish » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:52 am

Since Graduation - 1

Age 30 - 6 years with MegaCorp

I've almost doubled my salary since I started here, but could definitely make more if I left. I have no desire to leave though.

1. My career trajectory is currently very promising.
2. My job is not that stressful or difficult.
3. I get to travel the perfect amount for me
4. 8% 401k Match + $1800 annual HSA contribution
5. I dislike change

Topic Author
BradJ

Post by BradJ » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:59 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:04 am
BradJ wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:16 pm
I’m 34, currently working for my second company (10 years at the first, going on 3 at my current)and currently mulling making another move. I actually don’t like moving around, but my current company has a rather slow culture and I’m looking for a more fast paced environment. Out of curiosity, how many companies have you worked for?
A bit better contextual question so others can benefit.

Actionably: Number of companies >> what was learned and acted upon for long term improvement?

10 early on >> learned I'm a far better entrepreneur and visionary than a compartmentalized or structured employee. Able to FIRE but did not because it was so much fun.

Lessons:
The earlier you know about yourself, areas you thrive, best long term career strategy, the better.
Have fun.
Thank you for your response.

Tamarind

Post by Tamarind » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:10 am

I'm 32 and on my 4th major employer since college. I'm not counting temp contracts or side gigs. I think it's important to move if you can whenever either pay or skills growth stagnates, or if you realize the environment is not good for you. I have learned a lot about the kind of company I do my best work for, and quadrupled my earnings compared to first year out of school.

AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:10 am

Age 41. If you include every part-time job, contract gig, and my own failed businesses... Probably at least 30 employers in my life.

I've only worked for one "MegaCorp" in my life, and that lasted about 11 months. My six years in the military straight out of high school is the only long-term, stable employment I've ever had.

I currently "work" for three companies, two of which I own outright, one of which I co-founded.

Parthenon

Post by Parthenon » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:35 am

1. Started at age 17, retired at age 53 in 1997.

Ed
"What am I gonna do if I run out of money?"

Mickey7

Post by Mickey7 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:39 am

Age 67.

A tale of 2 lives.
Working my way through college 9.
3 companies since college.

xenochrony

Post by xenochrony » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:35 am

Age 50. Following the completion of a lengthy PhD, I have worked 5 jobs, 4 of which were companies. This period also includes an extended period of unemployment.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:51 pm

As noted by Sandtrap in the above post:
Sandtrap wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:04 am
...A bit better contextual question so others can benefit.

Lessons:
Have fun.
To keep the discussion actionable, I recommend following Sandtrap's suggestion. What have you learned?
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:25 pm

noupdjm wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:37 am
59 next month and expecting to retire in <= 3 years.
Graduated college in 1982 and hired on at my current location.
Owned by one company from 1982 - 1999. Second owner 1999 - later this year. Third owner should be my last.
Same location, 3 different owners.
entrepreneur hero
:sharebeer

What made you decide to be a company owner vs an employee?

radiowave

Post by radiowave » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:30 pm

Been 39 years since I graduated with my BSN, 11 different employers over those years (not counting an entrepreneurial business I had for 3 yrs) in 7 different states.

If you count my pre-college jobs, add 5 more including my paper boy route I started when I was 12 :)

EDIT:

I missed the "what have you learned" comment from Lady Geek above . . .

1. I enjoyed moving around a lot, got to see much of the country, met/made a lot of friends over the years, still keep in touch with some.

2. From an investment standpoint, it was a real challenge keeping up with multiple retirement accounts, I basically just left them in target date funds for many years until I decided to get a real handle on them and consolidate (and that's how I found Bogleheads). Between spouse and I, we had over a dozen 401ks/403b accounts and were able to get them down to a manageable 4 but it took almost a year to do the rollover IRAs. So having a plan as you move, would be helpful later in your career.

3. Looking back, I wish I would have made somewhat better choices on the various retirment plans. It worked out in the end but some of the high expense ratio funds ate away at some returns.

4. From a career standpoint, most of the jobs I changed into I got a higher salary and some with better benefits. I am a nurse and my first 20 years spent in clinical care - ICU/CCU/CVICU/SICU. The clinical challenges each time I changed jobs was exhilarating and helped me achieve a higher level of expertise. On the second 20 I moved to academia and that allowed me to change to a more teaching/research trajectory. If I hadn't started where I did almost 40 years ago, I wouldn't be where I am today.

5. Along the way I kept working towards higher graduate degrees and that helped my career trajectory as well.

6. Dumb things I did early in my career: bought a new jeep renegade and struggled to make the payments along with an education loan and general expenses; didn't invest early and often. I really wished I saved more early.

7. What I've learned along the way: professional satisfaction and personal satisfaction are two very different things; I wish I had "played" more or at least tried harder to do more than just work; the people you work with are often the people you hang out with, especially early on; moving to a new employer and a new state is hard, you are literally starting from scratch again, but I took it as an adventure each time and did my best to enjoy and explore; your early career aspirations, especially place and purpose, tend to be the ones that mean most to you - I really wanted to move and work in CO as my first job, now 3+ decades later I finally arrived, wish I had listened to my heart earlier.
Last edited by radiowave on Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:40 pm

Age 35, 1.5 years at 1 company, 12 years at another. both megacorps

badger42

Post by badger42 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:50 pm

Since undergrad, 19 years across 7 actual employers, but did work for many more companies (two were consulting companies, one was myself doing independent consulting. I think when I was in consulting there were weeks where I billed time to as many as 10-12 projects, as much of my role was "troubleshooter for engagements with problems".

happymob

Post by happymob » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:01 pm

Real jobs (as opposed to high school/summer college jobs)... 6 at age 46.

1) IT networking/general hardware firm for 1 year
2) IT consulting firm for 6 years
3) Programming for a major college for 1 year
4) Teaching at a directional state college for 4 years
5) Teaching at a different directional state college for 5 years
6) Programming remotely for a logistics company for 1 year (and counting)

I got a late start on "real" jobs and there's a 2-year gap as stay-at-home-dad in there.

Old Guy

Post by Old Guy » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:10 pm

Post graduate school, I worked for a state government for two years and taught part-time at a branch of the state university. I then moved on to the federal government for 30 years and worked in two departments totaling four agencies. My retirement job was at a B1G university for 10 years where I served simultaneously in two different but related offices.

What did I learn: being nice counts much more than being an .... Never use two sentences when when one will do. The former will get you in trouble when you work for the Feds. Organize your files. Type up your notes as soon as you can. Write clearly. Share your information. Learn how to work on a team. Being a supervisor is not necessarily what you really wanted.

basspond

Post by basspond » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:33 pm

I’m over 55 and worked for one company 30 plus years. However, within that company I worked in three different departments.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:48 pm

I've lost track of how many companies I've worked for. My latest employer is one I've worked at before. I got hired due to my reputation and that I've worked with the group before. They remembered me 12 years later(!) and I was welcome back.

Lessons I've learned early-on in my career:

First and foremost: Your professional reputation follows you throughout your career. Protect it at all costs, regardless. You earn your reputation by:

1. Always tell the truth
2. Always help others to the best of your ability
3. Don't do anything stupid
4. Don't get caught

My "Don't do anything stupid" rule comes from an early job in which a technician (not me), got fired for leaving his area. Basically, he was on night shift and walked around the engineering area looking for interesting things to pick up when the office was empty. He did something "stupid" and got fired for it.

"Don't get caught" - if you have to break any rules, do it by assuming someone is watching you and will use every resource to track you down. I don't remember doing anything along these lines, but it might have come from the fired technician. I'm throwing it in this post as something to use when 1 through 3 aren't working.

For reference, I'm an engineer and have worked quite a bit in the manufacturing area. The culture in manufacturing vs. a desk job is very different. Hence, rules 3 and 4. Currently, I have a desk job.

"Protecting your reputation" also means to speak up when someone takes credit for work you've done. You must do what's necessary and stand up to that person. This is where you need people skills.

People skills also mean that you never, ever, go behind your manager's back. Been there, done that, got burned. Regardless if you are right, you will end up being wrong if your manager finds out you went over his head.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

harrychan

Post by harrychan » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:47 pm

39 years old
4 since college
2 and 3 were through an acquisition. At one point they combined the name so not sure if that counts as another company? After the acquisition was final and the 2 name was dissolved, it completely became 3.

Prior to college, I also had a dozen or so job. Some under the table where I got paid in cash. That was more in my elementary and middle school years.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.

remomnyc

Post by remomnyc » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:06 pm

6 between college graduation and retirement.

tony_roach

Post by tony_roach » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:31 pm

5 companies so far in 25 years.

informal guide

Post by informal guide » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:48 pm

Since college graduation. 5.

2 years between undergrad and MBA, then 4 years for second, 8 years for third, three years fourth, and 22 years for fifth before retirement three years ago.

None had defined benefit plan. <2 % of my retirement benefits as of retirement come from second employer; 45 % from third employer; 4%% from 4th employer, 49% from 5th. Both 3nd and 5th contributed (both employer and me) at around same rate.

good demonstration of benefits of saving early; good markets; and power of compounding!

Spedward

Post by Spedward » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:53 pm

HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:29 pm
#6, age 33

Over 11 years have increased total comp from $75k to $250k. Job hopping pays off!
Same employer since grad school. 15 years. Staying put can pay off more sometimes!

goldendad

Post by goldendad » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:56 pm

I am a pilot. Two - US Navy and United Airlines.

cresive

Post by cresive » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:58 pm

I am 57, and just started my second career job after 25 years at a university. Prior to that, I worked more jobs than I can count. Plan to work this one until I retire at 67

RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:06 pm

Post college, I worked for the same company same location for 42 years before retiring. I performed 6 different job functions during those 42 years.

mindboggling

Post by mindboggling » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:41 pm

Graduated college in 1975.
1st job: 2 years
2nd job: 2 years
3rd job: 3 years
4th job: 2 years
5th job: 4 years
6th job: 3 years
7th job: 23 years

all television/broadcast industry

retired now, thank goodness
In broken mathematics, We estimate our prize, --Emily Dickinson

Topic Author
BradJ

Post by BradJ » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:28 am

For those who have worked for both big, small, not-for profit and for profit: what have you learned?

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:55 pm

I've learned that small companies give out higher employee rewards than large companies. Occasionally, a small company may supply lunch or some other small benefit - just because your work is appreciated.

Big companies never do that.

Perhaps there's a difference between private and publicly-owned (trades on the stock exchange) employers?

Before he retired, my husband worked for a small private company (< 1,000 employees). The company used to have a monthly "Pizza day". One year, they gave their employees a significant cash award at the end of the year. Why? They made more than enough profit and wanted to return it to the employees.

feh

Post by feh » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:57 pm

Post-college work years: 30. I'm on my 3rd (and last) employer.

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:47 pm

Company A - 1998-2002
Company B - 2002-2004
Company C - 2004-2006
Company D - 2006-2013
Company E - 2013-2018
Company F - 2018-?

I'm age 42 and work in IT, 6 Megacorps so far. I highly doubt this will be my last but one never knows, I thought i would be at Company D forever!
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca

lostinjersey

Post by lostinjersey » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:50 pm

#9 at age 48. Thinking about finding #10...

onthecusp

Post by onthecusp » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:26 pm

6 since college and I'm 62.

If you consider name changes and corporate buy outs you could add 4.

If you consider location changes and major responsibility shifts at my fourth you could add about 9.

If you consider different companies worked "for" while a consultant at my fifth you could add about 10.

reddison

Post by reddison » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:46 pm

3 since college and I'm 61 1/2.

10 yrs, 7 yrs, 22 yrs. Will retire in 2 with 24 yrs with my current employer.

dwickenh

Post by dwickenh » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:50 pm

3 jobs

1st-- 8 years
2nd- 18 years- partial owner
3rd --15 years

It took me a while to figure out each job and excel enough to move on to the next.
I never stayed at a job I didn't enjoy. Life is too short.

Dan
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett

Atilla

Post by Atilla » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:51 pm

Over 28 years so far worked for 4 companies. First 3 were the result of 2 bankruptcies and surviving in each new company.

Current company is because I switched back in 1997.

Same job, same clients following me through all 4 companies.
The Village Idiot - here for your entertainment.

Silverado

Post by Silverado » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:14 pm

Quite interesting responses, even the short ones make me contemplate what may have happened.

46, at the fifth company

Us army: 5 left to go back to school
Grad school assistant: 2 left because adviser signed thesis
Mega corp : 4.5 left for new opportunity overseas
Mega corp: 6 left for better opportunity
Mega corp: 8

Somehow all moves were on my terms. Engineering and I have worked for two meat grinders. Always amazed i never got tagged during multiple rounds of layoffs. Expect to stay put where I am until retirement, but you never know.

Momus

Post by Momus » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:47 pm

34 yo. 10 yrs after grad. 1 job.

My shitty declining state of pharmacist profession has it whichever company I work for I make $145k max +/- 10k (if you are lucky to work full time). Job hopping doesn't pay off for us.

StlIllini

Post by StlIllini » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:15 pm

Age 39. 2 since college graduation.

smarcus3

Post by smarcus3 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:54 pm

Age 29. Job number 3 currently. Been there for almost 3 years. Prior to that 2 years at each prior employer.

Unfortunately you can get bigger raises by leaving rather than climbing through the ranks at a given company.
This is my personal opinion. I'm an engineer not a financial advisor.