Anyone else gotten totally bored with investing?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
TheTimeLord

Re: Anyone else gotten totally bored with investing?

Post by TheTimeLord » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:38 am

Extremely bored with investing at the moment. Basically feel like I am finishing up, just crossing my "T"s and dotting my "I"s. I am just about at the point where all I will be doing is plugging numbers into my spreadsheet and making the adjustments indicated by the calculations. It will be interesting to see if I try to make some change just to keep things interesting or if I will just continually decrease the amount of time I spend on investing.

Taxes, the final frontier.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:07 am

I am bored with it too. We just have a monthly automatic investment. I just have a very brief positive happy thought when the date of the transfer arrives. That is the only actionable thing. The next action is to add bonds in a few years.
VTWAX and chill.

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:17 am

Good investing is supposed to be boring. It should be like watching paint dry or tumbleweeds tumble.
A fool and his money are good for business.

Index Fan

Post by Index Fan » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:32 am

nedsaid wrote:Good investing is supposed to be boring. It should be like watching paint dry or tumbleweeds tumble.
+100

And yes, I'm bored :)
"Optimum est pati quod emendare non possis." | -Seneca

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:27 am

You've graduated from bored to completely disinterested when you quit checking in on Bogleheads.

(No one reading this has done that yet by the way. LOL!)

PassiveInvestor753

Post by PassiveInvestor753 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:49 am

Investing? Boring? Well, maybe with traditional funds. And real estate/flipping houses can be a little time consuming. However, investing can still offer surprises. Hear about the high school drop-out who invested in bitcoin at $12 and is now a millionaire? It might be a little late to get into that now, but then again, maybe not. You just have to look for those opportunities and judge how much risk you're willing to take. Beyond that, investing in other areas like peer-to-peer lending or start-ups could become a decent alternative.

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:56 am

[b][color=#BF0000]PassiveInvestor[/color][/b]753 wrote:Investing? Boring? Well, maybe with traditional funds. And real estate/flipping houses can be a little time consuming. However, investing can still offer surprises. Hear about the high school drop-out who invested in bitcoin at $12 and is now a millionaire? It might be a little late to get into that now, but then again, maybe not. You just have to look for those opportunities and judge how much risk you're willing to take. Beyond that, investing in other areas like peer-to-peer lending or start-ups could become a decent alternative.
Seriously, you need a new screen name.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]

train12

Post by train12 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:04 pm

PassiveInvestor753 wrote:Investing? Boring? Well, maybe with traditional funds. And real estate/flipping houses can be a little time consuming. However, investing can still offer surprises. Hear about the high school drop-out who invested in bitcoin at $12 and is now a millionaire? It might be a little late to get into that now, but then again, maybe not. You just have to look for those opportunities and judge how much risk you're willing to take. Beyond that, investing in other areas like peer-to-peer lending or start-ups could become a decent alternative.
The article was different from your summary. His parents have PhDs from Columbia, and he moved to Silicon Valley to be an entrepreneur when he was 15. He sold his company that matched high school students with homework advice via his video chat app for 300 bitcoins (back when 1 BTC=$200) rather than $100,000, opting for the lower amount.

Of the other 103 bitcoins he owns, 83 bitcoins he may have purchased when bitcoin was at $12 using a $1000 gift from his grandmother, but that component is only worth $225,000 (1 BTC=$2700) at the time the article was written.

peterinjapan

Post by peterinjapan » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:07 pm

Not bored at all. It's fun, like a chess game that pays you if you win.

PassiveInvestor753

Post by PassiveInvestor753 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:42 am

The article was different from your summary.
I didn't "summarize" anything. I only gave the title. Plus, that extensive backstory wasn't necessary for my original point: That yeah, investing in the traditional sense can get boring, but there are other ways to invest that can be intriguing.

spammagnet

Post by spammagnet » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:37 pm

Having adopted a three-fund portfolio, I made the moves necessary to get there while also optimizing aggregate ER across multiple accounts. With payroll deductions being invested to match the allocation, and with rebalancing using bands, there's little else to do.

At this point, I'm considering taking up credit churning as a hobby.

afan

Post by afan » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:42 pm

Although there is nothing to do with investing once you have set up your 3-fund portfolio, there are lots of other financial decisions.
Mortgage optimization
Many different kinds of insurance
long term care planning
estate planning
Asset protection

For many of these the optimal strategy changes with interest rates, updated estimates of your longevity and health, changes in tax laws and other events. So there is plenty to keep up with.
We don't know how to beat the market on a risk-adjusted basis, and we don't know anyone that does know either | --Swedroe | We assume that markets are efficient, that prices are right | --Fama

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:12 pm

GoldenFinch wrote:You've graduated from bored to completely disinterested when you quit checking in on Bogleheads.

Maybe .. but there are probably more posts on books, movies, cars and sandwiches than there are on investing. Part VI of the book thread is approaching 2,500 posts.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

arsenalfan

Post by arsenalfan » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:13 pm

I have 1% in play money for >1yr investments (in top tax bracket = short term cap gains would kill me). Aftertax account with 100 free trades per month - use about 3 per year.

It makes me realize I am terrible at investing - my track record hasn't beat SP500. Also it's not that fun.

1. $2000 in Whole Foods: Amazon purchase increased WFM by 28% - which brought me to even on my initial investment.
2. $2000 in Volkswagen after Dieselgate: it's done ok, not great.
3. Ethereum: Impulsively bought $2000 from Coinbase. Super annoyed at all the privacy requirements. Held for one day and sold because was leery. Takes 1 week for transactions to process, lost $150 in transaction fees to Coinbase. Consider it a $150 lesson learned about hopping on the latest and greatest trend. Thinking about doing NVIDIA or AMD for GPUs...but meh, will this hip trend continue >1 year?
4. AAPL: Took over 250 shares bought by my broker through the 1990s with plans to liquidate it. Saw how difficult it was to time an exit - sold some at $135, rest at $100 during past dip. Now at $140s...
Last edited by arsenalfan on Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

randomizer

Post by randomizer » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:23 pm

I am very bored.

Really looking forward to retiring, but nothing I can do about it on the investment side. It is like watching paint dry. Even if the market tanks or surges, there is rarely anything to do. Rarely even rebalancing or tax loss harvesting. I just follow my IPS and wait wait wait. Really only needs a few minutes of work per year.
87.5:12.5, EM tilt — HODL the course!

BuyAndHoldOn

Post by BuyAndHoldOn » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:04 pm

I am interested in financial markets (etc.) so I continue to find investing fascinating.

But I invest boglehead style.

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:34 pm

jebmke wrote:
GoldenFinch wrote:You've graduated from bored to completely disinterested when you quit checking in on Bogleheads.

Maybe .. but there are probably more posts on books, movies, cars and sandwiches than there are on investing. Part VI of the book thread is approaching 2,500 posts.
Very true.

(Can't say enough about some very good threads about oatmeal and great advice about buying a dishwasher.) :D

spammagnet

Post by spammagnet » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:17 pm

randomizer wrote:Really looking forward to retiring, but nothing I can do about it on the investment side.
That's me, being a couple of years out. Can't do much more now than to earn and save. I don't hate my job, so it's not excruciating.

avenger

Post by avenger » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:42 am

Also bored.

Completely debt free (paid off $660k in 6 years), 3 fund portfolio on autopilot with no major financial changes on the horizon. Just going to let the boredom ride.
cheers ... -Mark | "Our life is frittered away with detail. Simplify. Simplify." -Henry David Thoreau | [3 fund portfolio: VTI, VXUS, SV fund (yield 3.01%)]

SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:47 pm

I've gotten bored with my investing as well. So I went out and bought a rental property! I'm definitely not bored anymore but only time will tell if it's a good investment. Ha. :P

I think the boredom was a combination of always needing some type of 'project' to occupy my time and the fact that counting down to semi-retirement is like watching grass grow.

-Steph

linenfort

Post by linenfort » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:56 pm

I'm still reading this forum, so I guess I'm still interested.

telemark

Post by telemark » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:43 pm

Someone or other described war as long periods of boredom punctuated by brief moments of terror. Perhaps the same applies to investing?

roymeo

Post by roymeo » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:12 pm

telemark wrote:Someone or other described war as long periods of boredom punctuated by brief moments of terror. Perhaps the same applies to investing?
Except you have to reconcile this with "“the market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent."
The sewer system is a form of welfare state. | -- "Libra", Don DeLillo

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:41 pm

BuyAndHoldOn wrote:I am interested in financial markets (etc.) so I continue to find investing fascinating.

But I invest boglehead style.
I've settled on a similar course. My investments are mostly in low cost index funds, but it's sure fun watching high flyers like Amazon, Facebook, Netflix and Tesla defy gravity. But also the forgotten and maybe soon to be forgotten like Kosmo, WebVan, TKWY, Blue Apron (APRN), and Snap.

pascalwager

Post by pascalwager » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:00 am

Not bored with investing. Bored with betting. BH is the wild west of betting. Everything is actually about beating the market or avoiding market risk or feeling that a portfolio is right/wrong. Even the four fund portfolio is modified to attempt to dictate returns and risk rather than setting it at market proportions and taking whatever the market offers.

Vanguard doesn't even offer a world market fund (bonds and stocks). Maybe because no one would invest in it. They would rather make bets.

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:29 am

pascalwager wrote:Not bored with investing. Bored with betting. BH is the wild west of betting. Everything is actually about beating the market or avoiding market risk or feeling that a portfolio is right/wrong. Even the four fund portfolio is modified to attempt to dictate returns and risk rather than setting it at market proportions and taking whatever the market offers.

Vanguard doesn't even offer a world market fund (bonds and stocks). Maybe because no one would invest in it. They would rather make bets.
Interesting perspective. I understand what you are saying here, but I don't know how you get around it even with a market weight total world stock and bond fund. Even then one would be betting that the world fund is the "right way" to invest. I suppose human nature gets in the way as soon as we have a dollar and have to decide what to do with it.

pascalwager

Post by pascalwager » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:05 am

GoldenFinch wrote:
pascalwager wrote:Not bored with investing. Bored with betting. BH is the wild west of betting. Everything is actually about beating the market or avoiding market risk or feeling that a portfolio is right/wrong. Even the four fund portfolio is modified to attempt to dictate returns and risk rather than setting it at market proportions and taking whatever the market offers.

Interesting perspective. I understand what you are saying here, but I don't know how you get around it even with a market weight total world stock and bond fund. Even then one would be betting that the world fund is the "right way" to invest. I suppose human nature gets in the way as soon as we have a dollar and have to decide what to do with it.
The market portfolio is considered the super-efficient portfolio of classical economics, probably the default risky investment for retirees/near-retirees–combined with a riskless portfolio (TIPS, pension, SS, annuities, etc.).

Younger investors might increase the stock/bond ratio, and older investors might decrease it. The tax situation could also modify the risky portfolio. This would be investing and not betting.

Kennyt7

Post by Kennyt7 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:54 pm

Index investing is boring but COMPOUNDED PROFITS ARE NOT
My thanks to malkiel and bogle for pointing me in the right direction

Suggest all here take a look at WHITE COAT INVESTOR SITE-great piece on learning about mutual funds for the novice

koolmelee

Post by koolmelee » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:50 pm

Start day trading like me with a small account(25-30k) ;) It opens a whole other set of new things to learn to make investing interesting.

Yes, I know it goes against Boglehead mentality, but it's enjoyable and yes, you can make money, but only the top 5-10% do ;)

I'm still young and unmarried so my risk tolerance is high --> all my other money is tied up in real estate rentals and SP500.

ruhigste

Post by ruhigste » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:33 pm

Like watching paint dry. :happy

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:35 pm

ruhigste wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:33 pm
Like watching paint dry. :happy
I believe Warren Buffett has used this reference many times. Very true indeed.
John C. Bogle: "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

Portfolio7

Post by Portfolio7 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:33 pm

In some ways, yes... I know enough to realize that I'm best off with a stable AA and to just let it ride. Since my portfolio is slice and dice, there is a tiny bit of maintenance I do, but the truth is I could walk away for a year and come back and it would make no difference. The elemental characteristics of investing don't change. At least, as long as our society remains reasonably stable :happy .
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest" - Benjamin Franklin

Spinola

Post by Spinola » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:11 am

I have plenty of other things to get excited about. Investing and finance bore me to tears and the Boglehead way is not about excitement, it's more like watching grass grow. "Don't just do something, stand there". :beer

ohai

Post by ohai » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:28 am

I think it is the opposite. I'm one of those people who likes to check asset prices all the time. So, weekends are, in some way, more boring because there is no data.

yogesh

Post by yogesh » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:29 am

In same boat. After getting bored (signature portfolio) I opened a small account for play money for individual stocks. My friend did something brilliant “he day trades bond ETFs” as play money for the itch :-)
Emergency: FDIC | Taxable: VTMFX | Retirement: TR2040

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:50 am

spammagnet wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:37 pm
Having adopted a three-fund portfolio, I made the moves necessary to get there while also optimizing aggregate ER across multiple accounts. With payroll deductions being invested to match the allocation, and with rebalancing using bands, there's little else to do.

At this point, I'm considering taking up credit churning as a hobby.
Don’t forget bank account bonuses. My first 3 months doing both I netted somewhere around $4K after tax.
Last edited by MotoTrojan on Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

columbia

Post by columbia » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:03 am

A good way to not be bored is to own two funds:

1/2 in stock and 1/2 in bonds

No matter what, you’ll almost always have the opportunity to scratch a rebalancing itch. :)

matthewmon

Post by matthewmon » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:57 am

I have finally reached this point at 37 years old. I think this is the point in which my returns will be optimized from now on. I would have a lot more money if I had reached this point 15 years ago but luckily I had a high savings rate. Basically screwed around a lot and none of it worked well long term so have now reached an age I cannot afford to screw around any longer and am playing it safe/smart for the rest of my investing career. Have AA set for me and my wife. Know about what ages I will decrease equities in my AA. Nothing to get excited about especially since when I enter numbers into a compound interest calculator it shows that my final retirement nest egg will be about the same even if I strain myself to increase my yearly contributions by a few thousand a year going forward. I am 37 and wife 30 so our outcomes are pretty much already determined by what we have saved to this point. It seems the only way I could increase my retirement income by around 10k a year in retirement would be to get a job with a pension. On the opposite side of the coin compound interest calculators show that my close family and friends of around my same age (that don't have really high incomes) that are only just now starting to invest at this point in their lives will never be able to have a large nest egg because they waited too long and won't have enough time for compounding.

DartThrower

Post by DartThrower » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:27 am

roymeo wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:12 pm
telemark wrote:Someone or other described war as long periods of boredom punctuated by brief moments of terror. Perhaps the same applies to investing?
Except you have to reconcile this with "“the market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent."
Bogleheads don't tend to put their solvency at risk in the market. Hence my tag line...
A Boglehead can stay the course longer than the market can stay irrational.

Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

Post by Barry Barnitz » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:03 am

Late last evening I had a most bizarre experience. I received a knock on the door, and was struck with amazement to see my index fund lingering in the doorway. He silently crossed the threshold and tossed off his coat.

I was surprised to see his dour expression, being under the impression that the market had risen that day. Utterly bewildered, and speechless, I waited, until he unburdened himself, with the ensuing plaintive address:

Life, friends, is boring. We must not say so.
After all, the sky flashes, the great sea yearns,
we ourselves flash and yearn,
and moreover my mother told me as a boy
(repeatingly) ‘Ever to confess you’re bored
means you have no

Inner Resources.’ I conclude now I have no
inner resources, because I am heavy bored.
Peoples bore me,
literature bores me, especially great literature,
Henry bores me, with his plights & gripes
as bad as achilles,

who loves people and valiant art, which bores me.
And the tranquil hills, & gin, look like a drag
and somehow a dog
has taken itself & its tail considerably away
into mountains or sea or sky, leaving
behind: me, wag.

With that, he turned about and gathered his coat (intimating that CRSP was his mother, and Henry was one on his portfolio managers) and walked out, disappearing into the midnight darkness.*

* Hours later I realized that my index fund was somewhat of a connoisseur of the belles lettres, having quoted John Berryman's 14th Dream Song from The Dream Songs (Farrar Straus and Giroux, 1991)
Additional administrative tasks: Financial Page affiliate blog; finiki the Canadian wiki; The Bogle Center for Financial Literacy site; Wiki Bogleheads® España.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:14 am

Boredom is the nirvana of Boglehead investing.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

elainet7

Post by elainet7 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:54 pm

very bored to see the fruits of compounded profits

DartThrower

Post by DartThrower » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:44 pm

I attribute my financial success to accomplishing three main tasks:
  • Bogle-Style Investing
  • Attaining job skills that are in high demand, and working hard on the job
  • Living within my means
  • (ok, I have to add that luck played a role here as well, although "being lucky" is not a task)
All three of the tasks can be tedious and/or boring in their own ways at times. I always just saw it as part of being a responsible person.

By far the simplest and easiest task to understand is Bogle-style investing. Executing it only becomes difficult if we let emotions get in our way or if we have a flawed plan. I think the boredom comes into investing when we ponder the same kinds of questions over and over and come to the same basic (correct) conclusions. At that point hopefully we decide to just stay the course. Then the cycle starts over. International equities or not? REITS or not? What kind of bonds? SPIA? How to achieve tax efficiency?

Intuitively many of us feel that we may be able to improve results if we think through the logic of all this one more time. My experience has been that after the first few years I had all the really important things down many times over. Investing is not really boring for me because I know I can walk away from it and just leave my portfolio on auto-pilot any time I want. The other two tasks pretty much need ongoing attention.
A Boglehead can stay the course longer than the market can stay irrational.