Garbage Disposal: So many choices out there. How do you decide which one?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Luke Duke

Re: Garbage Disposal: So many choices out there. How do you decide which one?

Post by Luke Duke » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:58 pm

Insinkerator Evolution

Living Free

Post by Living Free » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:18 pm

Count me as one of the anti-garbage disposal people. I just removed mine (which came with the house and which I hadn't ever really used) when it began leaking . I have septic so it's not recommended anyway. And it was wasting space under the sink which now provides more storage. Also the unnecessary expense. And the smell of bits of rotting foot sitting around in the garbage disposal. And it's supposed to be bad for plumbing. And it's just one more thing that can break or leak and require maintenance/replacement/removal.

I just throw my food scraps into the trash can and use a strainer basket. Simpler, cheaper, less smelly, better for septic and plumbing. What's not to like??

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:38 am

I bought a Waste King Legend 8000 1 HP on Amazon for $110.55. I just couldn't see putting our old, but still working disposal back in a brand new kitchen. It replaced a Badger 5/8 HP disposal.

The Waste King was the highest rated disposal at Consumer Reports, and comes with a lifetime warranty of parts and labor for original owner. This disposal might outlast me! :happy

This new disposal is the third disposal in the home in almost 30 years, so an average lifespan of 15 years or so isn't bad. Of course the average lifespan might have been a few years greater had we reused the current disposal.

Plumber is scheduled today to install disposal, faucet, soap dispenser, pedestal sink for our remodel. The remodel is progressing well, should be done soon.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

limeyx

Post by limeyx » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:33 am

1210sda wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:06 pm
I'm in the market for a garbage disposal. There are a lot of choices.

What should one look for in a GD?

Appreciate all the help I can get.

I got the biggest Insinkerator they sell. I love it. Its super quiet and eats anything. Does take a lot of room under the sink though...
Their customer service is second to none

Trism

Post by Trism » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:36 am

I started researching this last year when I needed a new one.

As soon as I realized I had spent an hour researching a $100-300 item I bought the one with the best reviews on homedepot.com in the middle of that range and rolled the dice.