Tributes to Jack Bogle

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
FBN2014

Re: Tributes to Jack Bogle

Post by FBN2014 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:20 am

Perhaps he could still win it even if it is posthumously.
"October is one of the peculiarly dangerous months to speculate in stocks. The others are July, January, September, April, November, May March, June, December, August and February." - M. Twain

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:21 pm

Money Magazine, March 2019 issue has a very nice article on page 70 titled "THE PATRON SAINT OF INDEX FUNDS....REMEMBERING JACK BOGLE", by Pat Regnier
John C. "Jack Bogle, who founded the Vanguard Group and revolutionized the way millions of Americans save and invest, died on Jan. 16.
Bogle's best-known legacy is the index fund, a low-cost, diversified way to hold stocks or bonds, In an unpredictable market, few investment managers are able to consistently leave their customers, rather than themselves, better off.
Compared with traditionally managed funds, index mutual funds as a group save their owners billions per year in the fees deducted from returns.
By the 1990s investors started to notice. For a time, simply by tracking a rallying bull market,the 500 fund was beating the majority of fund managers by such wide margins that Bogle had to warn investors not to expect the fund to win every year.
There is much more with good quotes from Mr. Bogle and some nice photographs.

Rest in peace, Mr. Bogle.
Just because it isn't your fault doesn't mean it isn't your responsibility....Josh Reid Jones

darkhorse346

Post by darkhorse346 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:31 pm

You stayed the course and had the courage to press on, regardless.

We are all better investors, and more importantly, better people because of you.

Well done, Mr. Bogle. Well done!

Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

Post by Barry Barnitz » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:44 pm

Dan Otter of 403bWise recollects his meetings with John Bogle in Meeting John Bogle.

regards,
Additional administrative tasks: Financial Page affiliate blog; finiki the Canadian wiki; The Bogle Center for Financial Literacy site; Wiki Bogleheads® España.

investnoob

Post by investnoob » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:28 pm

Mr. Bogle really made investing as easy as possible. Sad to see that he has passed away. Rest in peace.

oldzey

Post by oldzey » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:55 pm

Adding this compilation of tributes:

Tributes to Jack Bogle (1929-2019) by Ted Aronson, Larry Siegel, Robert Huebscher, 1/30/19

https://www.advisorperspectives.com/art ... -1929-2019
"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman

BlackHat

Post by BlackHat » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:08 pm

Rest in peace Jack. You've made my life, my family's life and countless others so much better.
“Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.” -- Confucius

oldzey

Post by oldzey » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:09 am

Adding this article to the tributes:
Taylor Larimore wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:25 pm
Bogleheads:

This is a very informative article about Jack Bogle, Vanguard, and indexing by Lewis Braham, author of "The House that Bogle Built":

How Jack Bogle Changed Investing.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman

Strayshot

Post by Strayshot » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:34 am

Kiplingers is a mostly trash magazine, but they had a 2 page spread in the April edition about Jack and his contributions. There was a lot of focus and meaningless metrics on Vanguard the current company in the article that I think could have been omitted to allow more focus on Jack and his overall mission, but the key takeaways were there.

The best irony is that on the immediately following page in the magazine was the “Practical Investing” column, where Kathy Kristoff has been documenting her stockpicking journey since 2011. Kathy is closing down the column to pursue other things, but her “portfolio” of individual stocks is significantly behind the broad market over that 8 year timeframe.

Maybe this placement was strategy or maybe dumb luck on the part of Kiplingers editors, but either way it works as a perfect endorsement and Jack would be proud.