New Brokerage platform

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
dickyboy

New Brokerage platform

Post by dickyboy » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:54 pm

Anyone else still holding off on switching to Vanguards new brokerage platform. I have been still holding off as I can envision problems with the transition that they aren't telling about. I'm not crazy about change or the potential hassle that comes along with it.

Chuck

Re: New Brokerage platform

Post by Chuck » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:59 pm

I moved over last year because I didn't want to be a part of the flood of people switching at the last moment.

Nothing happened.

I got 1099's from the funds directly (from before the switch), and 1099's from VBS, so that year I had to do one additional 1099, since the VBS one has all my holdings.

It is nothing I will tell my grandchildren about.

Doc

Post by Doc » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:18 pm

Chuck wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:59 pm
I moved over last year because I didn't want to be a part of the flood of people switching at the last moment.
We moved in November 2014. I didn't want to be part of the flood either. :D

There was no hassle.
A scientist looks for THE answer to a problem, an engineer looks for AN answer and lawyers ONLY have opinions. Investing is not a science.

ohai

Post by ohai » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:43 pm

I got this email today saying they are switching over. This causes complications for me, as I work in securities and cannot hold brokerage accounts with Vanguard. I called Vanguard and they said they want to switch people over as a long term plan, but there is not definite time line - it could be years. I didn't realize this has been going on since 2014. If this is true, I might have to change custody of my assets to somewhere else.

runner26

Post by runner26 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:42 pm

We each received this message today (with no definite date of when legacy goes away):

YOUR ACCOUNT NEEDS TO BE TRANSITIONED
Dear x,

We're retiring our old investment platform, which is what you're using today.

We'll need you to take a few minutes to complete a 3-step transition to our new investment platform. It's quick and easy—just log on to vanguard.com through your web browser or use the button below to get started.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:18 pm

I moved my individual accounts. I have not moved our joint account (yet). Not a huge difference, really. The consolidated tax statement is a benefit. But the December statement for brokerage accounts does not include the full year of transactions. Other than that, I haven't seen much difference.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

ruhigste

Post by ruhigste » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:31 pm

I resisted doing it for years, but when the horse (old platform) dies, it's best to get off :happy. It was as quick and easy as Vanguard said it would be.

TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:52 pm

The only "issue" I had was needing to re-state my preference for dividend reinvestment, that did not carry over.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

Dead Man Walking

Post by Dead Man Walking » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:57 pm

I hold mutual funds at Vanguard and have not switched to the brokerage platform because I prefer the year end statements of the mutual fund platform. If I am forced to switch to the brokerage platform, I will probably maintain my IRA accounts with Vanguard; however, I may transfer my taxable accounts to my Chase YouInvest account because the transfer of funds from my Chase Bank accounts to my YouInvest account would be simpler. Since I am retired and do not have any earned income, I can no longer contribute to IRAs. I still invest new money in my taxable accounts and the simplicity of the Chase platform appeals to me. I doubt that Vanguard cares if they lose my taxable accounts.

DMW

beyou

Post by beyou » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:15 pm

ohai wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:43 pm
I got this email today saying they are switching over. This causes complications for me, as I work in securities and cannot hold brokerage accounts with Vanguard. I called Vanguard and they said they want to switch people over as a long term plan, but there is not definite time line - it could be years. I didn't realize this has been going on since 2014. If this is true, I might have to change custody of my assets to somewhere else.
Have same issue. They even let me open a new acct on old platform, for same reason. For open end funds, all the fund firms have a fund only legacy platform. Vanguard needed a brokerage platform so they can sell ETFs without losing direct client contact. I may switch after I retire from the industry, if they force me, but I don’t think it will happen.

gmtret

Post by gmtret » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:29 pm

I own nothing but mutual funds, and as far as I am concerned, V* can switch to the new platform when I'm dead and gone. From everything I've read there is no way they casn make you switch. :twisted:
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science." | - Albert Einstein