How to Update Chrome on Mac

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
kaneohe

How to Update Chrome on Mac

Post by kaneohe » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:09 pm

The 3 dot symbol on upper right hand side is red indicating update is available.

When I click on that , the following info comes up
**************************************************************************************************
Get a Chrome update when available
Normally updates happen in the background when you close and reopen your computer's browser. But if you haven't closed your browser in a while, you might see a pending update:

On your computer, open Chrome.
If an update is pending, the icon will be colored:
Green: An update's been available for 2 days.
Orange: An update's been available for 4 days.
Red: An update's been available for 7 days.
To update Google Chrome:

On your computer, open Chrome.
At the top right, click on (the 3 dot symbol, now red)
Click Update Google Chrome. If you don't see this button, you're on the latest version.
Click Relaunch.
The problem is in the 2nd to last step above, when I click on the symbol, I don't see "Update Google Chrome" but I am not on the latest version
since the red symbol told me so (and version number does not agree w/ the number in other links for the latest version.......I'm assuming the Mac version number would be the same as other browser versions?)

If I close Chrome, the red color disappears and the 3 dots reappear but the red color returns the next day.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

livesoft

Re: How to Update Chrome on Mac

Post by livesoft » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:13 pm

When you click in the menu bar "Chrome" and then "About Google Chrome" what do you read?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Nummerkins

Post by Nummerkins » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:18 pm

Download Chrome and install it again.

DiamondplateDave

Post by DiamondplateDave » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:26 pm

What happens if you go to the Menu Bar and click on Chrome->about Chrome?

Topic Author
kaneohe

Post by kaneohe » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:34 pm

livesoft wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:13 pm
When you click in the menu bar "Chrome" and then "About Google Chrome" what do you read?
"Google Chrome is up to date
Version 67.0.3396.87 (Official Build) (64-bit)"

The "up-to-date" message conflicts with the message that appears when I click on the red symbol where the 3 dots normally reside.
The version number conflicts with the V.# I have seen in other articles....like on Yahoo. I assumed the version number would be the same? for Macs and non-Macs.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:19 pm

67 is from last June. Current is 72. It may just be to old to update for some reason.

Delete it and reinstall.

Topic Author
kaneohe

Post by kaneohe » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:10 am

quantAndHold wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:19 pm
67 is from last June. Current is 72. It may just be to old to update for some reason.

Delete it and reinstall.
Thanks. If other software on the computer is also older , is it possible that if I delete 67 Chrome,
I won't be able to install newer Chrome?

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:31 am

kaneohe wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:10 am
quantAndHold wrote:

Delete it and reinstall.
Thanks. If other software on the computer is also older , is it possible that if I delete 67 Chrome,
If you running Mavericks, then you won’t be able to run a newer Chrome. And you should upgrade your MacOS if you can. It’s from 2013.

If you’re running Mavericks, and for some reason you can’t upgrade it, you should probably switch to Safari or Firefox. Especially if this is a laptop you do important things on.

Topic Author
kaneohe

Post by kaneohe » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:50 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:31 am
kaneohe wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:10 am
quantAndHold wrote:

Delete it and reinstall.
If you running Mavericks, then you won’t be able to run a newer Chrome. And you should upgrade your MacOS if you can. It’s from 2013.

If you’re running Mavericks, and for some reason you can’t upgrade it, you should probably switch to Safari or Firefox. Especially if this is a laptop you do important things on.
Thanks for your help. Trying to juggle available storage space, capacity needed for newer versions, etc. Got conflicting advice from 2 Apple reps. One said I could upgrade to Mojave (barely enough storage for that) and then downgrade to El Capitan to free up space. The other
disagreed and said I couldn't do that. Both agreed that I couldn't upgrade to El Capitan directly.

annebert

Post by annebert » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:43 pm

Can you upgrade your hard drive? Alternately, Transcend makes expansion cards that slide into SD card slot for 128 or 256 GB. Than you could upgrade to High Sierra.

Topic Author
kaneohe

Post by kaneohe » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:51 pm

annebert wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:43 pm
Can you upgrade your hard drive? Alternately, Transcend makes expansion cards that slide into SD card slot for 128 or 256 GB. Than you could upgrade to High Sierra.
Thanks for your suggestion. Being ignorant in such matters, I have no idea..........but I can ask. Appreciate the help.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:40 pm

kaneohe wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:51 pm
annebert wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:43 pm
Thanks for your suggestion. Being ignorant in such matters, I have no idea..........but I can ask. Appreciate the help.
If space is the issue, either upgrading the drive or getting an external drive and moving some stuff off to the external drive would be your best bet. For security reasons, you want to be on the newest versions of the operating system and browser.

boomer_techie

Post by boomer_techie » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:01 am

kaneohe wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:51 pm
What Mac do you have? And what OS is installed now?

FYI, my High Sierra running Mac, excluding music and videos, has 33GB of drive space in use. That includes the OS, apps, and documents. Alternately, excluding the entire Home folder, the OS and apps take up less than 23GB.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:54 am

kaneohe wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:50 pm
Trying to juggle available storage space, capacity needed for newer versions, etc. Got conflicting advice from 2 Apple reps. One said I could upgrade to Mojave (barely enough storage for that) and then downgrade to El Capitan to free up space. The other
disagreed and said I couldn't do that. Both agreed that I couldn't upgrade to El Capitan directly.
They're both right!
...it is possible to downgrade, but unfortunately, Apple doesn't make it as easy as it could, in fact, the company has made it more difficult than ever!
https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-s ... e-3581872/

How old is your Mac? What's your current OS? What does system info say? Model? Year? Processor? Memory? What size HD or SSD?

Can you move your data to an SD card or external drive or the cloud? Mojave runs decently on fairly old hardware. An SSD and 8GB RAM would be good or good enough, and you might get by on less.

Can you use Safari instead?

Topic Author
kaneohe

Post by kaneohe » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:51 pm

inbox788 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:54 am
kaneohe wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:50 pm
Trying to juggle available storage space, capacity needed for newer versions, etc. Got conflicting advice from 2 Apple reps. One said I could upgrade to Mojave (barely enough storage for that) and then downgrade to El Capitan to free up space. The other
They're both right!
...it is possible to downgrade, but unfortunately, Apple doesn't make it as easy as it could, in fact, the company has made it more difficult than ever!
https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-s ... e-3581872/

How old is your Mac? What's your current OS? What does system info say? Model? Year? Processor? Memory? What size HD or SSD?

Can you move your data to an SD card or external drive or the cloud? Mojave runs decently on fairly old hardware. An SSD and 8GB RAM would be good or good enough, and you might get by on less.

Can you use Safari instead?
Thanks to all for the suggestions. inbox.........."They're both right!" ...........about upgrading to Mojave and then downgrading to El Capitan?
(read your link that says it is possible but difficult) or upgrading to El capitan directly........one rep told me today the latter was possible which conflicts w/ the other 2 reps.

Mac is about 6 yrs old . OSX 10.9.5 /Processor 1.3GHz Intel core i5/Memory 4GB 1600Mhz
Storage 120GB with 15-18GB available. Movies/photos takes up about 56GB/other 30BG

Trying Safari but it has an issue w/ a warning when I go to a particular website:
However an warning message pops up whenever I first get on the site:

"Safari can't verify the identity of the website "us-u.openx.net. The certificate is
invalid. Site might be attempting to connect you to a website pretending to be
that site ,etc."

Until now I thought it was limited to that 1 site /Safari since I didn't see that w/ that site/Chrome.
But I may have something similar when I clicked on your line/Chrome.

boomer_techie

Post by boomer_techie » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:45 am

kaneohe wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:51 pm
Mac is about 6 yrs old . OSX 10.9.5 /Processor 1.3GHz Intel core i5/Memory 4GB 1600Mhz
Storage 120GB with 15-18GB available. Movies/photos takes up about 56GB/other 30BG
Sounds like a Mid 2013 MacBook Air 6,1 or 6,2 with base configuration RAM and SSD. The RAM won't be upgradable, and boosting the SSD would require a larger module from a scrapped similar age MacBook Air.
Thanks to all for the suggestions. inbox.........."They're both right!" ...........about upgrading to Mojave and then downgrading to El Capitan?
(read your link that says it is possible but difficult) or upgrading to El capitan directly........one rep told me today the latter was possible which conflicts w/ the other 2 reps.
I don't know why you'd want El Cap over Mojave unless you need to run older software that has a compatibility problem - or you don't like some UI changes in later systems. Newer operating systems are not taking lots more drive space. FYI - if you upgrade to High Sierra or Mojave, you'll get the new file system which may free up some space (it can allocate in finer blocks and has an alternate way of storing really tiny files.)

Topic Author
kaneohe

Post by kaneohe » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:43 am

boomer_techie wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:45 am
kaneohe wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:51 pm
Sounds like a Mid 2013 MacBook Air 6,1 or 6,2 with base configuration RAM and SSD. The RAM won't be upgradable, and boosting the SSD would require a larger module from a scrapped similar age MacBook Air.
I don't know why you'd want El Cap over Mojave unless you need to run older software that has a compatibility problem - or you don't like some UI changes in later systems. Newer operating systems are not taking lots more drive space. FYI - if you upgrade to High Sierra or Mojave, you'll get the new file system which may free up some space (it can allocate in finer blocks and has an alternate way of storing really tiny files.)
Thanks, appreciate the tips. I was basing it on info that Apple sent to me . It sounded to me that Mojave needed more space.......will have to relook but it seemed like a signficant difference but perhaps I misunderstood. What happens if I try to upgrade and there's not enough space?
Will everything be as if I had never tried or will space be used up but the new system won't function because it's not all there?

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:11 am

boomer_techie wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:45 am
That the same I came up with. Should be able to handle Mojave.

Is it an 11 or 13"? The 13" has SD card reader, so you could add some "temporary" storage internal storage without sticking out. Remember, either will fail more frequently than internal solutions, and always have backups.

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-128GB-Ex ... 07H48412Q/
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-MUF-128A ... 07D7PDLXC/
https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-128GB-Ul ... 07855LJ99/

OP, once you upgrade, it's not a good idea to try to go back. Official answer is no going back. Unofficially, there are ways, but usually not worth the trouble. If you had more free storage space, one suggestion I came across was using Boot Camp. I usually associate Boot Camp with running dual booting Windows, but one could use it to run 2 versions of MacOS. I've never found the need where that would be useful.
https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-s ... c-3659676/