The calendar app in my iphone 6SE- HELP!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
PinotGris

The calendar app in my iphone 6SE- HELP!

Post by PinotGris » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:53 am

Number One Question: Do I need ICloud at all to use the Calendar app in my iphone ?

I am only vaguely informed about what ICloud does. I know I can store my images there. But it is also messing up my calendar. I would rather not use it at all, store my photos in my computer. I feel as if it grabs all my data and stores it in a place I can't readily see. I am not sure I like it.

This is my problem: When I look at the calendars I have in the app, it lists 3. One says Yahoo. Another is titled with my Yahoo email address. And the third is the Icloud. Often when I enter an event I get multiples of it. Sometimes it does not register at all. It alerts me sometimes and sometimes not.

How does your iphone calendar works? How many calendars do you have?
Thank you.

5th_Dimension

Re: The calendar app in my iphone 6SE- HELP!

Post by 5th_Dimension » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:09 am

I have 8 calendars. The reason you have so many calendars is because when you set up an email account, along with the email there is the option to use calendars, notes, reminders, etc. that come along with that account. You can turn off the extra calendars in the calendar app by unchecking the ones you don't want in the list of calendars on the left.

iCloud is not needed for the calendar app. iCloud backs up your device to Apple's servers. It is very useful when switching to a new device. If you get a new iPhone you can set it up and restore from your iCloud account. Your new phone will have everything your old phone had, photos, apps, etc.
Sometimes I feel like I'm waltzing in a 4/4 world.

DiamondplateDave

Post by DiamondplateDave » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:57 am

I have an iPhone 6s and several iMacs.
If you go into Settings->Apple ID, iCloud...-> iCloud and turn off the switch for "Calendar" it should stop syncing to iCloud. You can see what else is syncing and decide if you want it on or off.
If you go into Settings->Passwords and Accounts, Accounts, you can see all the accounts and what they are syncing.
Since you don't say what other devices you have or what you want to accomplish, I can't extend too much advice other than it appears you have multiple accounts syncing calendars, probably email, etc.
Here's how my phone is set up: I have a primary Gmail account including mail and gcal. I also have a secondary gmail account for financial stuff with due dates and bill related items. I also have some "throw away" emails for giving to stores etc so it doesn't clog my important emails. My primary Gmail /Gcal is synced to my phone, only friends and family have that address. The other emails DO NOT go to my phone. I personally prefer to do most stuff on my iMac with a real keyboard, not tediously typing stuff on my phone. So, if I'm searching for something on the web and I find an event, I just add it to gcal and it syncs to my phone. Conversely, if I'm at the dentist and they give me an appointment, I can check my phone and make sure it's a good day for me, then add it to my phone calendar and it will show up on my iMacs when I get home. I also put all my contacts in Google Contacts, and sync that with Address Book on my phone. When I get a new phone, as soon as I add my google account, my calendar and contacts show up.
If you have a specific question, I would be happy to try and assist.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:50 pm

PinotGris wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:53 am
Number One Question: Do I need ICloud at all to use the Calendar app in my iphone ?

I am only vaguely informed about what ICloud does. I know I can store my images there. But it is also messing up my calendar. I would rather not use it at all, store my photos in my computer. I feel as if it grabs all my data and stores it in a place I can't readily see. I am not sure I like it.

This is my problem: When I look at the calendars I have in the app, it lists 3. One says Yahoo. Another is titled with my Yahoo email address. And the third is the Icloud. Often when I enter an event I get multiples of it. Sometimes it does not register at all. It alerts me sometimes and sometimes not.

How does your iphone calendar works? How many calendars do you have?
Thank you.
OP, how does the calendar I have hanging on my wall help you solve your problem? Calendars are poorly understood, difficult to use, and haphazardly integrated. There's room for lots of improvement in the area.

In the meantime, go to settings->passwords&accounts and for each of your accounts, turn off calendar. How many accounts do you have and how many did you have to turn off? Now, just pick the one you want to use, and just turn that one on.

Which one did you pick?

Were not done here, but at least we know which calendar you're using and can deal with the complexities and problems of that calendar.