VG platform: What Other means in AA?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
fingoals

VG platform: What Other means in AA?

Post by fingoals » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:53 pm

I took a look at my Roth IRA account at Vanguard and noticed that they report Other category in the Current Mix section of the Asset Mix panel for Retirement selection (in addition to Stocks, Bonds and Short-term reserves, which for me is 84%/5%/0%). What does this mysterious Other refer to?

P.S. My only holdings in that account are 2040 Target Retirement Fund (VFORX) shares.

livesoft

Re: VG platform: What Other means in AA?

Post by livesoft » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:56 pm

Other refers to ANYTHING that cannot be categorized as stocks, bonds, short-term reserves or that is mis-characterized as none of those or that is not in their database to look up what category it might be in.

Examples:

1. An S&P 500 index fund that has no ticker and Vanguard cannot figure out what it is.
2. The TIAA real estate fund.
3. I guess something like a hunk of gold.
4. A variable annuity with no ticker ... it doesn't matter what the VA holds.
5. An option or loan.
6. A UFO.
7. ....
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Topic Author
fingoals

Post by fingoals » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:12 pm

livesoft wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:56 pm
Other refers to ANYTHING that cannot be categorized as stocks, bonds, short-term reserves or that is mis-characterized as none of those or that is not in their database to look up what category it might be in.

Examples:

1. An S&P 500 index fund that has no ticker and Vanguard cannot figure out what it is.
2. The TIAA real estate fund.
3. I guess something like a hunk of gold.
4. A variable annuity with no ticker ... it doesn't matter what the VA holds.
5. An option or loan.
6. A UFO.
7. ....
Thank you for your quick feedback. I understand what you're saying. However, as I said above, I don't have any assets in my retirement account other than VFORX shares, hence my question. The only thing I can think of that fits the Other category is capital gains from my VFORX holdings ...

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:20 pm

You can read the prospectus.

Topic Author
fingoals

Post by fingoals » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:40 pm

livesoft wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:20 pm
You can read the prospectus.
Thank you. I've just read the prospectus, but haven't found any relevant information. It's not a big deal, I'm just curious about that category ...

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:59 pm

Funds usually have a "Statement of Additional Information" or SAI which lists every single investment that the fund held at the time of the SAI. Maybe that has a clue?

I did a morningstar X-ray of VFORX and it showed 0.19% "Other" so that could be something as simple as a loan of securities, couldn't it?

Topic Author
fingoals

Post by fingoals » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:30 pm

livesoft wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:59 pm
Funds usually have a "Statement of Additional Information" or SAI which lists every single investment that the fund held at the time of the SAI. Maybe that has a clue?

I did a morningstar X-ray of VFORX and it showed 0.19% "Other" so that could be something as simple as a loan of securities, couldn't it?
Maybe. I didn't pay attention to SAI initially, but my brief review (per your suggestion) of the document revealed nothing. Anyway, the problem is that the Other category in my retirement accounts' asset mix represents of 11%(!) of total holdings, so that 0.19% is something very different. If Other would be less than 1%, I wouldn't even bother asking. Obviously, 11% is not a small number and I wanted to know what assets it does cover.
Last edited by fingoals on Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MNGopher

Post by MNGopher » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:31 pm

The mysterious "Other" category appeared on the pie graph that shows my current asset allocation on My Account page, today for the first time. It shows my stock, bond, money market amounts and percent, and now 5% other, that was never there before. I made no changes recently yet this has now appeared. I called Vanguard just now, but the rep had no idea why the new category would appear like this. Anyone else have this recently happen? May be some type of computer glitch.

Topic Author
fingoals

Post by fingoals » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:39 pm

MNGopher wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:31 pm
The mysterious "Other" category appeared on the pie graph that shows my current asset allocation on My Account page, today for the first time. It shows my stock, bond, money market amounts and percent, and now 5% other, that was never there before. I made no changes recently yet this has now appeared. I called Vanguard just now, but the rep had no idea why the new category would appear like this. Anyone else have this recently happen? May be some type of computer glitch.
Thank you for reporting that. I thought that it is something that was there all the time, but I didn't notice. I doubt that it is a computer glitch, though. Especially considering that it appears outside of the platform's night batch processing time. Of course, it could be a plain software defect, but, again, I doubt. Let's see what other people think about it and whether this category will remain on the dashboard through the coming days ...

Skiandswim

Post by Skiandswim » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:43 am

I had "Other" increase for a day or so after I had done some investment rebalancing. I have no issues at present. Only information I found from VG was:
"Other
Money market funds that end with "XX" will be categorized as other investments.
Non-Vanguard funds we're unable to categorize due to insufficient data.
Miscellaneous investments held through VBS, including unit investment trusts, precious metals, limited partnerships, and non-Vanguard annuities.
Outside holdings you classified as "other.""

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/conten ... ontent.jsp

Vanguard Treasury Money Market Fund (VUSXX) ends in XX, but appears in my portfolio as "Short-term reserves". Oh well ...

Topic Author
fingoals

Post by fingoals » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:11 am

Skiandswim wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:43 am
I had "Other" increase for a day or so after I had done some investment rebalancing. I have no issues at present. Only information I found from VG was:
"Other
Money market funds that end with "XX" will be categorized as other investments.
Non-Vanguard funds we're unable to categorize due to insufficient data.
Miscellaneous investments held through VBS, including unit investment trusts, precious metals, limited partnerships, and non-Vanguard annuities.
Outside holdings you classified as "other.""

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/conten ... ontent.jsp

Vanguard Treasury Money Market Fund (VUSXX) ends in XX, but appears in my portfolio as "Short-term reserves". Oh well ...
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Yes, the situation is pretty fuzzy ... Especially considering that I have literally no assets other than VFORX in my retirement account and, if I understand correctly, the fund's AA contains only stocks and bonds, which have their own asset mix categories.

Despite all that, I especially appreciate you sharing the link and relevant snippet from the page.

Topic Author
fingoals

Post by fingoals » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:22 pm

Just checked my Vanguard account today and the mysterious Other category now correctly stands at 0% for my asset mix. So, I guess, it was either a software defect that has been fixed quickly, or some kind of transient side-effect of some part of batch processing. All is well that ends well ...

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:28 pm

saw Other yesterday - they put Star and TR in this category...Unfortunately quality of software goes down...but this is another topic :(

MNGopher

Post by MNGopher » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:58 pm

Yes my "Other" was also removed today and my asset allocation is back where it should be :D

Topic Author
fingoals

Post by fingoals » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:48 pm

It's great that this issue has been presumably fixed so fast - perhaps, Vanguard's technical team (or AI 8-)) monitors this forum for such reports.