Thanks for 10 good years

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
DartThrower

Thanks for 10 good years

Post by DartThrower » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:26 am

It's been 10 years (and a day) since I officially joined Bogleheads. Just wanted to say thanks to all for the great investment advice, good humor and plain old common sense.

10 years ago was the depths of the Great Recession, and many of us were having to resist the urge to panic and veer off course as the scary headlines kept coming day after day. I was a young lad of 48 in 2009 and had seen my retirement funds plummet over the preceding year. Many people in my workplace started "playing it safe" at around that time. Many people who thought they were on the verge of retirement suddenly realized they needed to keep working. Lots of my friends lost jobs they thought were secure. Some lost houses they thought were great investments. It wasn't pretty. The Bogleheads website gave a perspective, inspired by Bogle himself, that proved to be a collective voice of reason in those turbulent times. Following the advice of thought leaders such as Bogle, Buffett, Fama, Sharpe, Malkeil, Shiller, Seigel and others together with the threads on this site has comprised my primary approach to investing over the past 10+ years. (All this costs me about 7 basis points per year!) I'm sure that it's also true of many other members of this board. Even as the experts sometimes disagree on some specific points, it has been enormously profitable to hear and read repeatedly over the years the essential points upon which there is broad agreement: keep costs low, diversify, manage taxes properly, save, LBYM, take an appropriate level of risk, and stay the course!

Keeping in mind the fact that "Nobody knows nothin" it certainly seems as if the next 10 years will not be as rosy as the past 10. My expectations are for lower returns as my retirement becomes imminent, but I wouldn't mind being happily surprised. :happy

We should all face the future, uncertain about how financial events will play out, but confident that the carefully mapped course we're on is the right one and well worth sticking to with the tenacity of Bogle himself! Good luck to everyone and thanks again.
A Boglehead can stay the course longer than the market can stay irrational.

vineviz

Re: Thanks for 10 good years

Post by vineviz » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:21 am

:sharebeer :sharebeer
"Far more money has been lost by investors preparing for corrections than has been lost in corrections themselves." ~~ Peter Lynch

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:41 am

Happy Bogleheads anniversary :D .
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

CheeseHeadInParadise

Post by CheeseHeadInParadise » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:46 pm

Yesterday I joined the Bogleheads. In 10 years I hope to look back and offer my thanks as well.
novacula Occami

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:53 pm

CheeseHeadInParadise wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:46 pm
Yesterday I joined the Bogleheads. In 10 years I hope to look back and offer my thanks as well.
Welcome to the forum!
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

moneywise3

Post by moneywise3 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:10 pm

Fifteen for me, although not to the day.

Topic Author
DartThrower

Post by DartThrower » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:08 am

ruralavalon wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:41 am
Happy Bogleheads anniversary :D .
Thanks rural. I've enjoyed reading your contributions over the years.
moneywise3 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:10 pm
Fifteen for me, although not to the day.
Does that count time as part of the Vanguard Diehards? I knew of that group in the early 2000s but never became a member.
CheeseHeadInParadise wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:46 pm
Welcome aboard. Whatever happens in the future I think you'll look back 10 years from now and be glad you joined.
A Boglehead can stay the course longer than the market can stay irrational.

moneywise3

Post by moneywise3 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:08 pm

Yes, I used to be member of diehards forum.