What is best process to roll pre-tax TIRA to 401k?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
SarahS

What is best process to roll pre-tax TIRA to 401k?

Post by SarahS » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:10 am

Hi Bogleheads

I have a pre-tax rollover IRA with VG that I would like to “roll” into my employers 401k (with VG Ascensus) to prepare for a backdoor Roth later this year. I’ve never done this maneuver before and would appreciate if folks could tell me the “do’s” and “don’ts“ based on their experiences. Ideally there would be a way to do this as an in-kind transfer so I don’t have to deal with a blackout period, but I’m not sure if that’s an option??

Also, I’m not sure what this even called (what terminology I should use if/when I eventually speak to the plan administrator about getting the necessary forms). Is this called a: Rollover? Direct rollover? Roll-in? Something Other?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

Spirit Rider

Re: What is best process to roll pre-tax TIRA to 401k?

Post by Spirit Rider » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:29 am

Technically it is a rollover contribution from an IRA to distinguish it from a rollover distribution to somewhere else. The typical default when someone talks about a "rollover"

However, it is generally best to avoid using names for something. For example, don't say; "I want to do a Backdoor Roth." First, say "I want to do a non-deductible traditional IRA contribution." Later say; "I want to do a Roth conversion"

Plainly state; "I want to do a direct rollover from my pre-tax rollover IRA to my 401k plan." You need to tell both your 401k and your IRA the same thing. Your 401k will give you the their rollover forms and instructions for the check. Your IRA may give you their rollover form and/or request instructions for the check. The check should be made payable to the 401k plan based on their instructions.

Earl Lemongrab

Re: What is best process to roll pre-tax TIRA to 401k?

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:17 pm

Find out from the receiving custodian how they want it done. That is the prime consideration. IRA custodians can follow most instructions on the matter.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.