What time do you start your day?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Glockenspiel
Posts: 687
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:20 pm

Re: What time do you start your day?

Post by Glockenspiel » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:45 pm

Up about 5:45.
Have to drop kids off at daycare, so I don't get to the office until 8-8:30.

On days I don't have drop-off, I'm up around the same time and can get to my desk by 7:15-7:30.

caffeperfavore
Posts: 171
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:45 am

Re: What time do you start your day?

Post by caffeperfavore » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:46 pm

I try to get at least seven hours a sleep a day and around 8 hours at night. :)

I wake up whenever my kid wakes up, usually around 8 am. I feel like a slacker here. Self-employed and work from home though.

Irisheyes
Posts: 109
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:36 pm

Re: What time do you start your day?

Post by Irisheyes » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:50 pm

peterinjapan wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:24 pm
I recently read theBook “why we sleep” and it really turned me on to getting 7 to 8 hours of sleep per night. The book has really helped me focus a lot more on getting a proper amount of sleep each night Book “why we sleep“ and it really turned me on to getting 7 to 8 hours of sleep per night.
Knew when I read the thread title that this would be a parade of early birds. What time must you all go to bed to get up at 4.30 and 5.30am? Maybe you are all going at 8 or 9pm and so getting the recommended amount of sleep.

however, lack of sleep is a national health crisis -- according to the CDC -- A third of US adults report that they usually get less than the recommended amount of sleep. Not getting enough sleep is linked with many chronic diseases and conditions—such as type 2 diabetes, heart disease, obesity, and depression—that threaten our nation's health.

I have always loved sleeping. In fact, I chose my career so that I could set my own hours and not have to wake up before 8am

GoldenFinch
Posts: 1741
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:34 pm

Re: What time do you start your day?

Post by GoldenFinch » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:57 pm

Always up at 5:00, usually asleep between 9 and 10. Bogleheads appear to be early risers.

User avatar
Christine_NM
Posts: 2657
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:13 am
Location: New Mexico

Re: What time do you start your day?

Post by Christine_NM » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:59 pm

AerialWombat wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:08 am

I know “9-5” are ye olde bankers hours, but what is the current norm for when people get up and go to work?
Literary note: Actually bankers hours are a short day, like 10-3, the hours banks used to be open to the public.

Being retired, I start the day 6-7 hours after falling asleep. My actual getting up time depends on the season -- earlier in summer, later in winter. Work schedules get you out of sync with the seasons. It took a bit of training with the alarm clock to get to this point, but now I only use the alarm for the exceptional early appointment, which I try to avoid.
17% cash 47% stock 36% bond. Retired, w/d rate 2.85%

dcabler
Posts: 847
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:30 am

Re: What time do you start your day?

Post by dcabler » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:03 pm

Up around 5:30. Get online. Read forums (like this), email, some news. Then depending on the day, off to the gym or onto the bike to work. Weekends similar, except I update my investment spreadsheet with the latest numbers from my accounts. Then gym/bike...

MP173
Posts: 1973
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:03 pm

Re: What time do you start your day?

Post by MP173 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:07 pm

Very similar to others here, I am up fairly early, except now that the DST kicked in.

No alarm, unless a tight schedule, just wake up. Normally it is around 530am. This morning with DST it was 645. In the summer, with windows open, it will be earlier.

I work at home most days, so I am at my desk by 6am in which I alternate - reviewing emails, planning day, and stretching.

By 8am I should be in good shape for the day, both physically, mentally, and vocationally. Not always.

Ed

User avatar
Clever_Username
Posts: 1247
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:24 am
Location: Southern California

Re: What time do you start your day?

Post by Clever_Username » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:09 pm

researcher wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:19 am
For all of those who get to the office by 6:00 - 6:30am...what time do you leave work?
I'm not usually actually into my office until 7 or 730, but I have been making an effort to be out by 4 most days, 5 at the latest if I can help it (I can't always). But I also go in, max, four days/week and I'm working on reducing that to three.
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_ | | I survived my first downturn and all I got was this signature line.

poker27
Posts: 742
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:48 pm

Re: What time do you start your day?

Post by poker27 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:11 pm

How do yall get the energy to get up so early?

I wake up around 7ish (but will hit snooze), and eventually get to my office around 830, and leave 530-6PM.

I would love to be up and refreshed at 6AM, but I struggle every morning.

protagonist
Posts: 5561
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:47 pm

Re: What time do you start your day?

Post by protagonist » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:20 pm

Whenever I want to.
On a good day, between 6 and 7.
After a sleepless night, sometimes 10 or so.

That's part of the beauty of being retired. I sleep when I'm tired. I eat when I'm hungry.

User avatar
Clever_Username
Posts: 1247
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:24 am
Location: Southern California

Re: What time do you start your day?

Post by Clever_Username » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:27 pm

poker27 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:11 pm
How do yall get the energy to get up so early?

I wake up around 7ish (but will hit snooze), and eventually get to my office around 830, and leave 530-6PM.

I would love to be up and refreshed at 6AM, but I struggle every morning.
What time do you go to sleep?
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_ | | I survived my first downturn and all I got was this signature line.

quantAndHold
Posts: 2704
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:39 pm

Re: What time do you start your day?

Post by quantAndHold » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:37 pm

peterinjapan wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:24 pm
I recently read theBook “why we sleep” and it really turned me on to getting 7 to 8 hours of sleep per night. The book has really helped me focus a lot more on getting a proper amount of sleep each night Book “why we sleep“ and it really turned me on to getting 7 to 8 hours of sleep per night.
This. I have had a chronic health condition for a few years, probably brought on by lifestyle issues. Once I started getting enough sleep on a regular basis, my health improved immensely. If I have a night of poor sleep, my body gives me instant feedback.

I also noticed, fairly recently, that if I don’t get to bed by 10 or 10:30, my body can’t seem to make it up by sleeping later. So I try to be in bed by 10:30, and sleep until I wake up, which is usually between 6:30 and 7:30.

User avatar
Nestegg_User
Posts: 1197
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: What time do you start your day?

Post by Nestegg_User » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:42 pm

researcher wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:19 am
For all of those who get to the office by 6:00 - 6:30am...what time do you leave work?
before retirement, I'd be out the door by 5:20 and get in between 6-6:30 depending on traffic

return from office was usually 1 1/4 hours or more as it was still in the early hours of the teeth of "rush hour"
(oxymoron, we know)

nowadays, in retirement, no alarm no timetable, unless taking a trip on plane (they really should be more flexible with my schedule :D ).... but typically it's now more likely that I'm up around 7:30-8

User avatar
Elsebet
Posts: 674
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:28 pm
Location: Washington state

Re: What time do you start your day?

Post by Elsebet » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:52 pm

Traffic is bad here in the Seattle area, so we both go into work very early. My husband gets up at 4:30 and is at his work at 6am. I get up around 5:45 and I'm at work by 6:30 on the days I'm not working remote.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca

User avatar
GoldStar
Posts: 957
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 10:59 am

Re: What time do you start your day?

Post by GoldStar » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:56 pm

Why the focus on start time? Why not hours worked? Of course the best metric is goals accomplished (but society doesn't work that way).

I live East Coast but work for a West Coast company so now work 9-ish to 6-ish or 7-ish. Sometimes being on calls later. When I've worked for East Coast companies I was typically starting 8-ish. When I was commuting I would shift hours around to try to avoid traffic (either by going in earlier and leaving earlier; or going in later and leaving later).

poker27
Posts: 742
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:48 pm

Re: What time do you start your day?

Post by poker27 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:04 pm

Clever_Username wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:27 pm
poker27 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:11 pm
How do yall get the energy to get up so early?

I wake up around 7ish (but will hit snooze), and eventually get to my office around 830, and leave 530-6PM.

I would love to be up and refreshed at 6AM, but I struggle every morning.
What time do you go to sleep?

It varies. Between 10PM-12AM mostly. It typically doesnt matter what time I go to bed, I still have a hard time getting out of bed in the morning. Last night I went to sleep at 1030, and still couldnt wake up

User avatar
Clever_Username
Posts: 1247
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:24 am
Location: Southern California

Re: What time do you start your day?

Post by Clever_Username » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:07 pm

poker27 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:04 pm
Clever_Username wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:27 pm
poker27 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:11 pm
How do yall get the energy to get up so early?

I wake up around 7ish (but will hit snooze), and eventually get to my office around 830, and leave 530-6PM.

I would love to be up and refreshed at 6AM, but I struggle every morning.
What time do you go to sleep?

It varies. Between 10PM-12AM mostly. It typically doesnt matter what time I go to bed, I still have a hard time getting out of bed in the morning. Last night I went to sleep at 1030, and still couldnt wake up
Huh. I have the opposite problem: I struggle to sleep past maybe 7:30AM at the most, even on days I can sleep in.
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_ | | I survived my first downturn and all I got was this signature line.

notsobright
Posts: 63
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:07 pm

Re: What time do you start your day?

Post by notsobright » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:07 pm

SW Engineer.

Up @ 8:30 home @ 6

stoptothink
Posts: 5069
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: What time do you start your day?

Post by stoptothink » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:09 pm

Clever_Username wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:07 pm
poker27 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:04 pm
Clever_Username wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:27 pm
poker27 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:11 pm
How do yall get the energy to get up so early?

I wake up around 7ish (but will hit snooze), and eventually get to my office around 830, and leave 530-6PM.

I would love to be up and refreshed at 6AM, but I struggle every morning.
What time do you go to sleep?

It varies. Between 10PM-12AM mostly. It typically doesnt matter what time I go to bed, I still have a hard time getting out of bed in the morning. Last night I went to sleep at 1030, and still couldnt wake up
Huh. I have the opposite problem: I struggle to sleep past maybe 7:30AM at the most, even on days I can sleep in.
Similar. We haven't even set an alarm clock in years, we wake up like clock work every morning between 5:25am and 5:35am. On a lazy weekend we might go to bed slightly later and I might take a mid-day nap, but we wake up the same time regardless.

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 52012
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: What time do you start your day?

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:10 pm

This thread has run its course and is locked (not productive, below threshold). See: Personal Consumer Issues
Note that this subforum has a much lower threshold for locking or removing posts than the financial and investing subforums. In general, controversial, offensive, pointless, divisive or mean-spirited posts or topics may be locked, edited or deleted (with or without notice) at the discretion of the moderating staff even if they do not otherwise violate forum policies.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Locked